The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
Dman, thanks for the link.

No-one's commenting on this, but this is just so typical of Charles and how he tries to help. He not only visited Somerset when things were really bad, but he's back to check in with them again and probably will do so in the coming months and years. He doesn't just go for the photo op the way the politicians do.

This is a snippet from a Times article on his visit:

Flood families thank Charles | The Times

This won't get nearly so many comments as the latest designer outfit worn by one of the younger queens or princesses, which is a shame because this is what royalty is for. This is how they prove their worth.
I have never been the biggest Prince Charles fan, but I can say I admire him for this- doing things because he cares, not just for a photo op.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Dman, thanks for the link.

No-one's commenting on this, but this is just so typical of Charles and how he tries to help. He not only visited Somerset when things were really bad, but he's back to check in with them again and probably will do so in the coming months and years. He doesn't just go for the photo op the way the politicians do.

This is a snippet from a Times article on his visit:

Flood families thank Charles | The Times

This won't get nearly so many comments as the latest designer outfit worn by one of the younger queens or princesses, which is a shame because this is what royalty is for. This is how they prove their worth.
You are absolutely right in what you say and it is regrettably that things like this are not highlighted as much as they should be.
It always makes me feel very proud and pleased when a members of the royal family show support to the people at times of trouble or difficulty.
I often wish the Queen was able to address the nation when things like the floods happen, but i am not sure she is allowed to?
Queen Beatrix made an address to the nation after the speeding car incident on Queen's day a few years back.
I always think that the head of state is much more likely to be able to galvanise the nation into action or to give help more so than a prime minister.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:08 AM
Administrator

Yesterday, July 10, the Prince of Wales hosted a meeting of representatives of governments, the fishing industry, investors and leading conservation groups to examine ways of financing the transition to a sustainable "blue" economy at St. James's Palace State Apartments.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga gallery ** dailymail: CHARLES IN SUSTAINABLE FISHING PLEA **
Old 07-11-2014, 03:20 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
You are absolutely right in what you say and it is regrettably that things like this are not highlighted as much as they should be.
It always makes me feel very proud and pleased when a members of the royal family show support to the people at times of trouble or difficulty.
I often wish the Queen was able to address the nation when things like the floods happen, but i am not sure she is allowed to?
Queen Beatrix made an address to the nation after the speeding car incident on Queen's day a few years back.
I always think that the head of state is much more likely to be able to galvanise the nation into action or to give help more so than a prime minister.
I think the Queen can make those types of addresses, although it's likely to be with the government's support and using a speech OK'd by them. I think they try to limit such speeches to times of really major catastrophe otherwise they lose their power. When the Queen makes a speech to the nation people sit up and listen because it happens so rarely.

The floods earlier this year, although truly awful for those affected, just weren't bad enough to necessitate a speech from HM to the nation. From what I recall, for example, no-one was actually killed (mercifully) by the floods. A major terrorist attack killing hundreds of people or the like would probably see HM doing a formal speech to the people directly.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:58 AM
Heir Apparent

I think Charles is underestimated and undervalued. When we look closely at the sorts of things, and the wide range of things, that Charles involves himself with, it becomes clear that he has a deep knowledge and understanding of so many matters relating to the environment and sustainable agriculture and development. He doesn't just turn up and commiserate with the people who have suffered damage during floods, he looks into the reasons why the damage was particularly extensive and researches ways to reduce the risks in future, and then he takes steps to have that work carried out. And he is active in projects that seek to protect the country's heritage and to provide work for its youth. He is not just a figurehead, he is a mover and shaker.

Charles possesses knowledge and skills which cannot be learned overnight, and I strongly feel that William ought to be working more closely with Charles on these projects and learning how all this hangs together. This is quite apart from the constitutional and ceremonial stuff he needs to know as part of his king-in-waiting training.

One day all too soon Charles will be King and he will not be able to continue doing this work anymore and he'll be too busy being King to give William a crash course in the jobs that are part of the role of Prince of Wales these days. If William doesn't get on top of it soon to ensure that he is in a position to step into his father's shoes when the inevitable happens, I foresee a real problem with continuity regarding the projects Charles has initiated and taken a keen and abiding interest in.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:48 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Quote:
I think the Queen can make those types of addresses, although it's likely to be with the government's support and using a speech OK'd by them. I think they try to limit such speeches to times of really major catastrophe otherwise they lose their power. When the Queen makes a speech to the nation people sit up and listen because it happens so rarely.

The floods earlier this year, although truly awful for those affected, just weren't bad enough to necessitate a speech from HM to the nations. From what I recall, for example, no-one was actually killed (mercifully) by the floods. A major terrorist attack killing hundreds of people or the like would probably see HM doing a formal speech to the people directly.
She did it in 2005, and has on several smaller tragic events issued
statements.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsan...nsinLondo.aspx

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsan...ortheirre.aspx

BBC NEWS | UK | Queen condemns bombing 'outrage'

Terrorists 'will not change our way of life,' says Queen | Mail Online
Old 07-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Prince Charles has visited The Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire today, as part of celebrations to mark the 50th display season of the Red Arrows aerobatics team. Shows: GVs of visit-
Home - ITNSource News

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-11-2014, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks PetticoatLane and Royal Norway for your answers. It is true that the Queen usually issues a statement rather than an address - maybe I just like to see her on the TV more often!
Old 07-11-2014, 03:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Video:
Prince Charles has visited The Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire today, as part of celebrations to mark the 50th display season of the Red Arrows aerobatics team. Shows: GVs of visit-
Home - ITNSource News
Photos:
Prince Charles Pictures - Prince Charles Visits the Royal International Air Tattoo - Zimbio
Old 07-11-2014, 11:28 PM
Heir Apparent

There are two things you can count on the Prince of Wales for - A laugh and priceless facial expressions! This would be exhibit A.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
There are two things you can count on the Prince of Wales for - A laugh and priceless facial expressions! This would be exhibit A.
Love him. Here is a man at ease with himself and enjoying his role and his life. Great pix.

What is it about Windsor men and flying!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Today, July 18, the Prince of Wales visited the Coronation Meadow for East Sussex at Beech Estate to mark the first anniversary of The Coronation Meadows Project, he attended the "Reversing the Trend" conference in Steyning and visited a Countryside Classroom 'Chef on the Farm' day at Wiston House, also in Steyning.

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery: Prince Charles Visits the Coronation Meadow **

** dailymail: PROTECT OUR MEADOWS, SAYS CHARLES **

** shorehamherald.co.uk: VIDEO: Prince of Wales with Steyning pupils **

** theargus.co.uk: Prince Of Wales wishes Steyning Primary School Children ‘a jolly good holiday’ on visit **
Old 07-23-2014, 10:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Prince Charles was presented with a giant hand-made red squirrel for Prince George while visiting the Glendelvine Estate in Perthshire. His Royal Highness took a tour around the estate, where they are trapping invasive grey squirrels to help save the native red species-
Home - ITNSource News

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-23-2014, 01:57 PM
Majesty

I'm an adult, and I would LOVE to have that big squirrel I happen to have a soft spot for these little creatures. I'm sure George will get a chance to learn all about them from his Grandpa.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

In my head- I'm picturing Wills on one side with George's big wombat and Harry with George's big red squirrel, a Lego town and some sort of Godzilla vs Mothra royal remake.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-23-2014, 02:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
In my head- I'm picturing Wills on one side with George's big wombat and Harry with George's big red squirrel, a Lego town and some sort of Godzilla vs Mothra royal remake.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Oh, I love it . Papa and Uncle Harry will have more fun than George, by playing with his toys :big grin:.

I just added a new book to my children's library, called 'Squirrels on Skis'. The big red squirrel would be a perfect prop for reading it (even if the squirrels in the book are all gray). Wonder if I should ship my copy off to KP, along with my read-aloud idea...

Old 07-23-2014, 05:49 PM
Heir Apparent

That makes 3 of us. I saw the squirrel in the Daily Mail-, I love the vision of George, Daddy, Grandpa, and Uncle Harry with cuddly wombats and squirrels at story time.
Great idea Daria! I bet you have lots of really cool books. Too bad George already has a nanny.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
That makes 3 of us. I saw the squirrel in the Daily Mail-, I love the vision of George, Daddy, Grandpa, and Uncle Harry with cuddly wombats and squirrels at story time.
Great idea Daria! I bet you have lots of really cool books. Too bad George already has a nanny.
Thank you! My collection of children's books has gotten significantly bigger over the years. I actually have a book with a red squirrel in it, called 'Squirrel's Fall Search'. It's cute, and would be another great choice as a read-aloud with the stuffed red squirrel. Oh, heck, I should just design a book of activity ideas for kids, and send it over to KP. If they like it, I'd gladly keep designing things to suit their son's (and future children's needs)…Yeah, I do dream big. Back to topic...

Old 07-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe you should send that book about the red squirrel to George. I love the children's activity book idea. Keep dreaming big please.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Maybe you should send that book about the red squirrel to George. I love the children's activity book idea. Keep dreaming big please.
Thank you. I'd send my book, but I put my name in it when I used it at work. I'll have to get a new copy. Thank you for the support.