Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Tour of Canada - May 20-23, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Torontonians pack in for close encounter with royal couple - The Globe and Mail

Prince Charles and Camilla drew enthusiastic crowds in Toronto on Tuesday as they wrapped up the second leg of their three-day tour of Canada.

Hundreds of people showed up at each of the pair’s brief stops in the city, pressing against barricades and juggling cameras and cell phones in an effort to record a close encounter with the royal couple.

I think that portrait's pretty good. Is that the first portrait of Camilla on her own?

Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall arrived at the Saskatchewan Assembly Legislative Building, as part of a visit to Canada to mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee on May 23, 2012 in Regina, Canada.

- Prince Charles
- The Duchess of Cornwall

Gallery from Getty
Gallery from Daylife

Like son, like father! Prince Charles follows in Harry's footsteps as he wears blue suede shoes for Jubilee tour of Canada
Earlier this year Prince Harry earned his style stripes as he showcased an impressive pair of electric blue suede desert boots on a trip to Jamaica. But as Charles' Diamond Jubilee tour of Canada got underway yesterday, the Prince of Wales proved he could be as sartorially savvy as his youngest son as he stepped out in a pair of natty blue suede shoes of his own during his visit. Prince Charles wore the shoes for a Victoria Day fireworks display in Toronto's Ashbridges Bay Park last night, an impressive annual firework display held on Victoria Day, the day the Queen's birthday is officially celebrated.
Prince Charles look really dapper; I can see why he is considered to be one of the most elegant men in the world. :)

Great video. Camilla seems to genuinely be please to be CinC of the regiment.

I'm glad she mentioned that she is the great great great grandaughter of the 1st Prime Minister of Canada & so she must feel a special link to Canada that other members of the Royal Family wouldn't necessarily have.

I didn't know that, BellaFay. That's a nice little bit of trivia. Camilla seems to have really enjoyed her latest visit to Canada.

It has been pretty tiring. All the talking heads do is prattle on about the Prince being reserved before and how the crowds were not as big as William and Kate, and the William and Kate effect (apparently that is why the crowds were there). And how people love William and Kate more, yada yada yada. Not one of them talked about Camilla's patronages.

The trip was very successful. The Prince was wonderful, The Duchess was wonderful.

I've just been looking up the raw data (as opposed to media spin/reports) for opinion polls produced in the UK by IPSOS/Mori. That shows that in 2005 when Charles married Camilla the popularity of the Royal Family was 65% by 2006 it was 72% and 75% by 2011 and in 2012 a year after William married Kate it was 78%. So the Kate effect = 3% and the Camilla effect 7-10%. I notice the Globe Mail keeps mentioning the Montreal trouble in 2009, without mentioning that it was a protest against the Queen's visit planned for 2010. Sensibly when the Queen did visit she avoided Montreal. Did William & Kate visit Montreal?

I'm glad she mentioned that she is the great great great grandaughter of the 1st Prime Minister of Canada & so she must feel a special link to Canada that other members of the Royal Family wouldn't necessarily have.
I wasn't aware of that. If possible, could you specify which line is Camilla descended from Canada's first Prime Minister? As far as I know, Canada's first Prime Minister, Sir John Macdonald, had only one surviving son - Hugh John Macdonald. The latter married Gertrude Agnes VanKoughnet and had no issue.
I know Camilla has Canadian ancestry through Honourable George Keppel whose mother, Sophia Mary MacNab, was born in Canada (as daughter of Sir Allan Napier MacNab, 1st Baronet and Mary Stuart).

MacNab was not Prime Minister of Canada as we know it today. He was Prime Minister of pre-confederation Canada, which was essentially todays Province of Ontario and Province of Quebec (Upper & Lower Canada).

Last edited:
MacNab was not Prime Minister of Canada as we know it today. He was Prime Minister of pre-confederation Canada, which was essentially todays Province of Ontario and Province of Quebec (Upper & Power Canada).
Thanks! I thought we were talking about a different line, through John Macdonald.
And while we are at it, this is how the Duchess is descended from Sir Allan Napier MacNab.

- Sir Allan Napier MacNab, 1st Baronet
- Sophia Mary MacNab
- Honourable George Keppel
- Sonia Rosemary Keppel
- Honourable Rosalind Maud Cubitt
- The Duchess of Cornwall

Did William & Kate visit Montreal?

They were in Quebec. I wish I could send your post to every talking head here. Today they were a bit better, I'm hoping that is because they got inundated with tweets, calls and emails. It really was getting quite annoying. I love the Prince and Duchess of Cambridge, but it was quite ridiculous crediting her with the amazing job the Duchess of Cornwall was doing and with the respect and love the crowds was giving the Duchess.

Charles gets a bad time for supposedly being cold and aloof and stiff. But, with the hockey and the DJ lesson, not to mention the weather forecast, Charles is obviously willing to have a go, even if it makes him look silly. He enjoys being with people, and sharing a joke and some fun with them. I don't think he's as burdened with worries and regrets as he used to be, and he doesn't take himself so seriously.

His demeanour is so much lighter and more positive, and I think people react to that. It's great to see.

Can anyone make out what badges Charles is wearing on his lapels?

Charles is wearing a Canadian Flag. The silver one is the Canadian Diamond Jubilee pin and the darker one is an RCMP emblem.

I have just started preparing the pictures I took on Monday and Tuesday. Here is the first batch of photos of TRH at Ashbridges Bay to watch fireworks with emergency responders and their families.

Click on the photo for a complete gallery:

Second set: TRH arrive at Queen's Park. Click on the photo for more:

Third set: Queen's Park pt. 2 -- One woman shook hands with the Duchess and had some sort of religious experience, kissing and rubbing HRH's hand and not letting it go. Much to the Prince of Wales' amusement. Click for more!

One woman shook hands with the Duchess and had some sort of religious experience, kissing and rubbing HRH's hand and not letting it go. Much to the Prince of Wales' amusement.

That was a bit weird. I didn't see the Prince laughing though.

Bweir, thanks for posting the pictures. I hope you were able to (politely) shake hands with the royal couple. I haven't seen news reports, but the newspaper articles I read have been positive.

That was a bit weird. I didn't see the Prince laughing though.
He appears to be very amused in this picture. Would give a lot to see Camilla's face though! :lol:

Thanks a lot for posting the pictures, Bweir! :flowers:

Last edited:
I thought they were going to show the Concert. Did I miss that?

His brother Edward is Honorary Deputy Commissioner

Charles is wearing a Canadian Flag. The silver one is the Canadian Diamond Jubilee pin and the darker one is an RCMP emblem.

Thanks for the info, bweir. :flowers: Wonderful photos also. You got pretty close to TRH; were you able to speak to them at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom