Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Tour of Canada - May 20-23, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info, bweir. :flowers: Wonderful photos also. You got pretty close to TRH; were you able to speak to them at all?

Just spoke to them for a second or two each at Queen's Park. Shook both their hands and gave Camilla some purple tulips. :)

Just spoke to them for a second or two each at Queen's Park. Shook both their hands and gave Camilla some purple tulips. :)
How lovely!
Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures, bweir. :)

Sounds lovely. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

One perk of being a member of TRF is that if there is a royal visit to Canada, we can look forward to some of the best up close and personal photos! Once again. your photos really give insight into Charles and Camilla's visit. Thank you!

What a neat experience! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Oh my. How lucky are you? Thanks for sharing and yes we are lucky to have all these people all over the world that are part of these forums that can share those experiences with all of us. Its a true joy to be able to enjoy this as a member of the best forum ever. :)

As a royal watcher in the states, it is remarkable how little coverage this tour has gotten, even it being a jubilee year. It takes some effort to find anything on it!

I was actually surprised by how much coverage the visit received in Canada. Royal visits to Canada are actually quite frequent and usually it is just visits by the Queen that receive so much coverage, last years post wedding visit by the Cambridges being an exception to the rule. Sometimes members of the family have been and gone before you even know it, unless you happen to be in the town or city they visited.

As a royal watcher in the states, it is remarkable how little coverage this tour has gotten, even it being a jubilee year. It takes some effort to find anything on it!

The British royal family are not so popular in the USA ? I thought that they loved the Queen Elizabeth II and Prince William & Kate.

I am American and I have always been a fan of HM, PP and their children. I'm reserving admiration on the others.

Since earning a bloody freedom from British rule and the amount of time that has elapsed since that effort, there are a lot of folks who are just not interested. And that interest does not lie with just British royalty. Most people don't know the name of any European royalty, either.

However, I am a history buff, both stories about the people themselves and of their military histories.

I would venture that possibly, on a good day, 1% pf the American population would range from mildly interested to fanatic.

As for Wills and Kate, they are more celebrities than royalty.

Last edited:
^Is the same true than for Diana when she was still alive in term of being more celebrities than royalty?

I am American and I have always been a fan of HM, PP and their children. I'm reserving admiration on the others.

Since earning a bloody freedom from British rule and the amount of time that has elapsed since that effort, there are a lot of folks who are just not interested. And that interest does not lie with just British royalty. Most people don't know the name of any European royalty, either.

However, I am a history buff, both stories about the people themselves and of their military histories.

I would venture that possibly, on a good day, 1% pf the American population would range from mildly interested to fanatic.

As for Wills and Kate, they are more celebrities than royalty.

I see. Yes, William and Kate are like celebs like a good looking Hollywood stars !

The American public have a lot of respect and admiration for HM in particular. Can't remember where I read it, but there's apparently a survey that looks at which non-Americans the people of the US respect. I believe HM has come in the top 10 for several years.

On the Canada visit; I read somewhere that Charles was surprised and delighted by the size of the crowds and warmth of the welcome they received.

The American public have a lot of respect and admiration for HM in particular. Can't remember where I read it, but there's apparently a survey that looks at which non-Americans the people of the US respect. I believe HM has come in the top 10 for several years.

On the Canada visit; I read somewhere that Charles was surprised and delighted by the size of the crowds and warmth of the welcome they received.

I read somewhere that the Queen Elizabeth II was loved by her people like her late mother Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. However, I read that the Prince Philip was in trouble few times because what he said or something. Poor queen :sad:

I read somewhere that the Queen Elizabeth II was loved by her people like her late mother Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. However, I read that the Prince Philip was in trouble few times because what he said or something. Poor queen :sad:
Prince Philip is well known for his "gaffes". Although the press used to make a big deal out of some of those comments, most people see them for what they are - light-hearted jokes that display a unique sense of humour and refusals to be bound by PC. I think you'll find that Prince Philip is a very popular member of the Royal Family, at least most definitely in Britain. :)

Prince Philip is well known for his "gaffes". Although the press used to make a big deal out of some of those comments, most people see them for what they are - light-hearted jokes that display a unique sense of humour and refusals to be bound by PC. I think you'll find that Prince Philip is a very popular member of the Royal Family, at least most definitely in Britain. :)

I saw a Youtube clip of Prince Philip yesterday. He is an old man but such an active person. It is amazing.

There hasn't been any coverage of the visit in British newspapers - i.e. the physical papers - not even the Daily Telegraph & only very brief online reports. Which considering they are meant to be representing the Queen in her Jubilee year and for the 1st time ever in Prince Charles's career of tours abroad he is being accompanied by the Queen's Private Secretary rather than his own is really very odd & rather defeats the point of the Queen sending the couple if no publicity is given to it in the UK press. It just seems to be part of the Palace policy of giving as little publicity to the couple as possible.

Thanks for your feedback, everyone. Here are the last three batches of photos.

[FONT=&quot]While in Toronto on Tuesday, HRH The Duchess of Cornwall visited the Queen's Own Rifles for the first time as the regiment's Colonel in Chief. The Regiment has previously visited Clarence House. HRH took over the role as Colonel-in-Chief from HRH Princess Alexandra, who retired from the position in 2010. Princess Alexandra took over from Queen Mary shortly after her death in 1953. Click on the photo below for some of my shots of the occasion:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

After a visit to Ryerson University and the future site of the athletes village for the upcoming Pan American games in 2015, the Prince of Wales visited the Yonge Street Mission.

Click on the very happy Prince below for more photos.

[FONT=&quot]The Royal Couple's final engagement in Toronto before heading onto Regina was a Muster held at Fort York. The muster, featuring the Royal Couple's Canadian Regiments, and other Ontario and Quebec regiments whose roots can be traced to the battle, was held to mark the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812.

Click on the photo below, featuring the Prince of Wales, the Canadian Chief of Defence Staff, Prime Minister Stephen Harper, and Defence Minister Peter MacKay, for my final batch of photos.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]​

There hasn't been any coverage of the visit in British newspapers - i.e. the physical papers - not even the Daily Telegraph & only very brief online reports. [...] really very odd & rather defeats the point of the Queen sending the couple if no publicity is given to it in the UK press. It just seems to be part of the Palace policy of giving as little publicity to the couple as possible.

Since when is this the policy of the Palace - and what would be the point of such a policy?

Bweir, thank you for sharing some more of your photos. You were able to get pretty close to Their Highnesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom