The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Charles is also at that awkward age, the same as his mother was in the 80s. The Queen was caught between her revered mother the Queen Mum and her son and his glamorous wife. Today Charles is between his revered mother The Queen and his son who now has a glamorous wife.
Crowds will be less for C & C than they would be for his mother or his son, but he has earned respect and some level of popularity in a country that on a day to day basis pretty much ignores the existence of the monarchy, and that may be one of the reasons there is no really strong republican movement here.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
after the official arrival ceremony, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall arrived to New Brunswick. While there, they had a walkabout in Saint John, and visited Hazen White-St. Francis school.

- Camilla in grandmother mode (how cute is that baby?)
- Prince Charles playing a game of shinny
- Charles looking pretty impressed
- Charles and Camilla trying school food
- The couple leaving Saint John (it was quite windy, and it looks like Camilla is trying to avoid a Marilyn Monroe moment)

Gallery from Daylife
That baby is very, very cute, and Camila was certainly in her element in that particular instance. I love the picture of Charles playing shinny with the kids, and his smile while watching the kids play Jenga (I think that's what the game is called, but I could be wrong) indoors. They're brave for trying school food, and judging by their faces, it wasn't that impressive.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
after the official arrival ceremony, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall arrived to New Brunswick. While there, they had a walkabout in Saint John, and visited Hazen White-St. Francis school.

- Camilla in grandmother mode (how cute is that baby?)
- Prince Charles playing a game of shinny
- Charles looking pretty impressed
- Charles and Camilla trying school food
- The couple leaving Saint John (it was quite windy, and it looks like Camilla is trying to avoid a Marilyn Monroe moment)

Gallery from Daylife
Lovely pictures. Very nice to see them out and about.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Charles remembers his days as a young pilot as he is warmly welcomed to Canada with the Duchess of Cornwall | Mail Online

Prince Charles remembers his days as a young naval pilot as he is warmly welcomed to Canada with the Duchess of Cornwall

Read more: Prince Charles remembers his days as a young pilot as he is warmly welcomed to Canada with the Duchess of Cornwall | Mail Online
Old 05-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Royal Highness

Here The Video
Canada Royal Tour 2012: Their Royal Highnesses attend a Citizenship Ceremony
:)
Old 05-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

The CBC has a livestream coming up from a Jubilee Medal ceremony....not sure when exactly but it should be soon:
CBC.ca Player
Old 05-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Prince Charles and Camilla were in Toronto today.
They visited Ryerson University and toured its digital media zone. They also went to the Queens Park, where they met the Honourable David C. Onley, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario.

- Prince Charles and Camilla with David C. Onley, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario
- Even robots bow to Prince Charles (who looks quite pleased)
- The Duchess of Cornwall

Gallery from Daylife
Old 05-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanRoyal View Post
^Well large for Charles and Camilla. Also it is a statutory holiday (same as a bank holiday in the UK) so a large number of people have the day off work, plus it is nice weather so this may contribute to more people coming out to see them.

And it is apparent that with each visit to Canada, Charles and Camilla are making inroads into gaining popularity here.

We should remember that a large number of people in Canada do not follow the royal family on a daily basis and this means that many of them have not come to terms about Charles and Camilla. However, with each visit Charles and Camilla make more friends and win more people over, so hopefully they will continue to visit and be more warmly received with each visit.
Also the Globe & Mail report doesn't mention that when Charles & Camilla toured Canada in 2009 it was during a wintry November, whereas William & Kate visited at height of a sunny summer. If I remember rightly despite the winter weather Charles & Camilla still raised a crowd of over 1,500 people when they visited a museum in Hamilton.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Apparently Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall were greeted by large crowds today.
Prince Charles recalls military service, mingles with crowds on first day of visit - The Globe and Mail
I see that the report still trots out the myth that Charles is reserved. They obviously haven't seen Prince Charles the weather forecaster! But seriously I think one of the problems he has is that the royal officials try to keep him within rigid schedules (which probably makes life easier for them but doesn't promote his talents. I note from the Globe & Mail report that whereas William playing street hockey was scheduled - Prince Charles's wasn't. Charles complained about this in one of his letters about a visit to Australia in the mid 1980s (published by Jonathan Dimbleby). The officials also often claim that he & Camilla don't talk to the press whilst they're on engagements, which is rubbish I've seen both of them give unofficial interviews especially to local reporters.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Aristocracy

It has been pretty tiring. All the talking heads do is prattle on about the Prince being reserved before and how the crowds were not as big as William and Kate, and the William and Kate effect (apparently that is why the crowds were there). And how people love William and Kate more, yada yada yada. Not one of them talked about Camilla's patronages.

The trip was very successful. The Prince was wonderful, The Duchess was wonderful.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall, accompanied by Canada's Prime Minister Stephen Harper, visited the Fort York Armoury for the 1812 Commemorative Military Muster in Toronto, May 22, 2012.

- Prince Charles, Camilla and Stephen Harper stand for Canada's National Anthem
- The Prince and Prime Minister Stephen Harper sharing a joke
- Prince Charles inspecting the Guard of Honour

Gallery from Daylife
Old 05-22-2012, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Torontonians pack in for close encounter with royal couple - The Globe and Mail

Prince Charles and Camilla drew enthusiastic crowds in Toronto on Tuesday as they wrapped up the second leg of their three-day tour of Canada.

Hundreds of people showed up at each of the pair’s brief stops in the city, pressing against barricades and juggling cameras and cell phones in an effort to record a close encounter with the royal couple.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Great to see that Charles and Camilla got a warm reception.

Is it wrong that I find Charles strangely attractive here?

Prince Charles Prince Of Wales Attends The Victoria Day
Old 05-23-2012, 05:58 AM
Heir Apparent

A delightful video of Prince Charles as a DJ during the visit: VIDEO: Prins Charles som DJ - dr.dk/Nyheder/Udland
Old 05-23-2012, 07:13 AM
Serene Highness

A nice video and a new portrait for the Duchess :

Canada 2012: The Duchess of Cornwall gives a speech at The Queen's Own Rifles Canada - YouTube

http://news.daylife.com/photo/0112dV...__site=daylife
Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Great video. Camilla seems to genuinely be please to be CinC of the regiment.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think that portrait's pretty good. Is that the first portrait of Camilla on her own?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Serene Highness

I know this other one :

Duchess of Cornwall portrait to go on display - Telegraph
Old 05-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall arrived at the Saskatchewan Assembly Legislative Building, as part of a visit to Canada to mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee on May 23, 2012 in Regina, Canada.

- Prince Charles
- The Duchess of Cornwall

Gallery from Getty
Gallery from Daylife

Like son, like father! Prince Charles follows in Harry's footsteps as he wears blue suede shoes for Jubilee tour of Canada
Quote:
Earlier this year Prince Harry earned his style stripes as he showcased an impressive pair of electric blue suede desert boots on a trip to Jamaica. But as Charles' Diamond Jubilee tour of Canada got underway yesterday, the Prince of Wales proved he could be as sartorially savvy as his youngest son as he stepped out in a pair of natty blue suede shoes of his own during his visit. Prince Charles wore the shoes for a Victoria Day fireworks display in Toronto's Ashbridges Bay Park last night, an impressive annual firework display held on Victoria Day, the day the Queen's birthday is officially celebrated.
Prince Charles look really dapper; I can see why he is considered to be one of the most elegant men in the world.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Great video. Camilla seems to genuinely be please to be CinC of the regiment.
I'm glad she mentioned that she is the great great great grandaughter of the 1st Prime Minister of Canada & so she must feel a special link to Canada that other members of the Royal Family wouldn't necessarily have.