The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 06:04 AM
Royal Highness

If the tabloids like it or not: Charles is going to be king and Camilla is his wife.Whatever she is called then, she will be the wife of the king and thus becomes as untouchable as Charles as long as she does not create faux pas of her own.

The tabloids know that and have to work in advance to get a better rapport with Charles and Camilla, because once Charles ascends, he will be sacrosanct as the souverain and all know that. And they are all getting ready: from the Di-Express ähh, Daily Express who run a story that Camilla prefers to be known as Princess Consort rather than be Queen to the Daily Mail who now tries to get better access to Camilla through reporting on her patronages.

It's sad to see but a lot of institutions including the media are readying themselves for Charles' ascent. Because you never know....

Old 11-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Just some examples of recent "positive" news in relation to the Duchess of Cornwall

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2054845/Its-time-gave-credit-Camilla-Duchess-Cornwall.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/p...rrectness.html

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...r-olds-life.do

Old 12-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

I hope this is the correct place to put this.

Camilla Tominey, a columnist for the Daily Express who was invited to the Palace reception for the media last week, was evidently so impressed when she met Camilla that she now believes that she should be allowed to call herself 'Queen' when the time comes, not this silly Princess Consort nonsense.

Dutchess Fit For Role of Queen

It may only be me, but I sense that the argument generally, such as it is, is slowly moving in this direction.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Aristocracy

The press did a horrible thing when they published what turned into "Camillagate". I cannot imagine a more brutal intrusion into privacy and a more embarrassing situation for people living in unwanted publicity, especially for Camilla, who was not raised to deal with suchsurveillance. Absolutely noone deserves to be humillated like this and I honestly believe that Camilla has been a very brave woman when she started making public appearances, she must have been scared, people know to much about her. It speaks for her and the strength of the relationship between her and Charles that she went through this.

Here in Germany the articles are so-so, alot of "Charles cheats on Camilla, she deserves it", or "Camilla wants a divorce", but it seems to get a little better in with time.

From this board, I know that Camilla is a rather attractive person with humour and heart, I wouldn't know that from the german press, comparatively the english press is friendly.

Since Camilla will not be "my" Queen Consort, or Queen, my opinion is based on theorie, but for me it makes no sense to style her different than the wifes of former Kings before her. She is the wife of the King then, period.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Excellent article and one I totally agree with. It is Camilla's right by marriage to be Queen Consort when Charles is King, and she's more than earned her stripes to be called by that title.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Majesty

This is probably one of the most glowing articles about the Duchess that I have had the chance to come across. I agree; she will be a great Queen Consort when her time comes. She has done a great deal during the past six and a half years as the member of the Royal Family and Prince Charles's wife. She's someone who would make others feel at ease, and that's one of the key things a royal should be able to do (it can be intimidating meeting a new person, but when that person is royal, it's even more so). She's passionate about her causes, and yes, the most important thing is; she makes Charles happy and gives him support.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Royal Highness

I'm sure Charles will wish for Camilla to be made Queen Consort & I agree that she would carry out this role well, but in this matter I think he should put his private wishes second to what may be the wishes of the country/commonwealth. If there is a strong mood against her being crowned, imo he should accept this rather than cause any potential rift.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
I'm sure Charles will wish for Camilla to be made Queen Consort & I agree that she would carry out this role well, but in this matter I think he should put his private wishes second to what may be the wishes of the country/commonwealth. If there is a strong mood against her being crowned, imo he should accept this rather than cause any potential rift.
And how is the "mood" or "wishes" of the country/commonwealth supposed to be determined?
Old 12-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie View Post
And how is the "mood" or "wishes" of the country/commonwealth supposed to be determined?
A public vote IMO.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
A public vote IMO.
So an election/public vote should be held to determine if Camilla should be called Princess Consort or Queen Consort? Public votes are not cheap and to conduct one for someone who isn't even the actual Head of State seems very odd to me.

Is this something that would actually happen in the UK and/or the Commonwealth?
Old 12-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie View Post
So an election/public vote should be held to determine if Camilla should be called Princess Consort or Queen Consort? Public votes are not cheap and to conduct one for someone who isn't even the actual Head of State seems very odd to me.

Is this something that would actually happen in the UK and/or the Commonwealth?
If the government really wants to gauge the mood of the country and commonwealth in regards to Camilla's title, in my opinion a public vote (not necessarily done as a normal vote would be) is the only way. The government has the power of television, newspapers and radio at its disposal it can do internet polls, phone in votes and such like. It does not have to be an organised vote like you would for a government or local council.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

A public vote? She will be wife of the King...thus the Queen. Camilla deferred to not using her proper current title and now she can't be Queen without a vote? How unfair is that. I know I'm not a Brit and have no say, but that is just mean.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
A public vote? She will be wife of the King...thus the Queen. Camilla deferred to not using her proper current title and now she can't be Queen without a vote? How unfair is that. I know I'm not a Brit and have no say, but that is just mean.
No that's not the case. Royal Newbie asked Elly C how the mood and wishes of the country and commonwealth are supposed to be determined and I suggested that the best option would be a public vote. This is not something that's actually happening, it's a suggestion by me.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, just leave it to me to "jump the gun." Just have to wait and see.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
No that's not the case. Royal Newbie asked Elly C how the mood and wishes of the country and commonwealth are supposed to be determined and I suggested that the best option would be a public vote. This is not something that's actually happening, it's a suggestion by me.
Sorry but it sounds pretty daft to me. No, scratch that, vile, ugly and totally unthinkable.

Since when have Britain and the Commonwealth needed a vote on the title of the Consort? Why would we want to drag the BRF down to the same level as the X Factor? Come to think of it, its not a bad way to decide . . . .

Let me see, hmm, the Queen lies deathly ill and the doctors say she is going to die very soon. In a time of grief and impending loss to Country and Commonwealth we hold an international phone-in vote on what to call her daughter-in-law! She will be legally Queen because no letters of patent have been issued but what the hell, let's not quibble, let's have a popularity contest over the Queen's deathbed or worse still, her coffin.

Instead of a dignified and gracious exit of a great Queen, her death will be sidelined by a popularity contest over the heir's wife to determine what she will be known as. No time for the King or country to grieve, to . . . . . . . ugh, it's too horrible to even think about, let alone countenance.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
If the government really wants to gauge the mood of the country and commonwealth in regards to Camilla's title, in my opinion a public vote (not necessarily done as a normal vote would be) is the only way. The government has the power of television, newspapers and radio at its disposal it can do internet polls, phone in votes and such like. It does not have to be an organised vote like you would for a government or local council.
This kind of vote is not that accurate. It's not random, and usually not representative of general sentiment. People who feel strongly either way might vote. People in the middle, usually don't. Also, many might not hear of the vote. An opinion poll would be more accurate. (Where a polling company calls people.)

I also don't think it would be wise to spend public money for a vote. I don't think most people will care what she is called.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

She will be queen, if she is still alive. Who, really, cares, today. They seem happy, no matter how this was achieved. They are fact, the rest is all history.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

There's as much chance of there being any kind of public vote on Camilla's title as there is of me walking on the moon anytime soon. The idea is utterly preposterous in all its guises.

When the time comes I expect the government of the day will 'sniff the air' as it were to get an idea of where the bulk of the people are on the topic. This is what politicians and governments do on a daily basis. They might undertake some private polling also. These judgements about public opinion are made continually on all sorts of topics. The PoW and his staff made a judgement that the British public would be, on the whole, accepting of his marrying Camilla in 2005 and so they made the decision to go ahead. And they were right.

I think we'll see more and more articles like the ones I posted above, we'll see Camilla become more and more important to the family as the Queen and DoE age further, and I don't think it's impossible that with the nation in deep mourning following the death of a much loved monarch that the government and people would come to the conclusion that it's not fair to our new King or his wife for her to be anything other than Queen to the fullest extent of the word.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
Sorry but it sounds pretty daft to me. No, scratch that, vile, ugly and totally unthinkable.

Since when have Britain and the Commonwealth needed a vote on the title of the Consort? Why would we want to drag the BRF down to the same level as the X Factor? Come to think of it, its not a bad way to decide . . . .

Let me see, hmm, the Queen lies deathly ill and the doctors say she is going to die very soon. In a time of grief and impending loss to Country and Commonwealth we hold an international phone-in vote on what to call her daughter-in-law! She will be legally Queen because no letters of patent have been issued but what the hell, let's not quibble, let's have a popularity contest over the Queen's deathbed or worse still, her coffin.

Instead of a dignified and gracious exit of a great Queen, her death will be sidelined by a popularity contest over the heir's wife to determine what she will be known as. No time for the King or country to grieve, to . . . . . . . ugh, it's too horrible to even think about, let alone countenance.
All I did was answer a question, the only real way to gauge the public mood is some form of vote. I never said I agreed that a vote should be taken as I believe Camilla should be known as Queen and even now as Princess of Wales.
But thank you MARG, for scrutinising my answer in such a way. If the government has any sense it will decide on Camilla's title before the Queen passes, what a silly suggestion you make however we all do it don't we?
Old 12-06-2011, 05:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
All I did was answer a question, the only real way to gauge the public mood is some form of vote. I never said I agreed that a vote should be taken as I believe Camilla should be known as Queen and even now as Princess of Wales.
But thank you MARG, for scrutinising my answer in such a way. If the government has any sense it will decide on Camilla's title before the Queen passes, what a silly suggestion you make however we all do it don't we?
You are kidding aren't you? Irony, even sarcasm, yes but no one with an ounce of common sense could possibly think that was an actual suggestion . . . .

IMO there is no popular move to change the status quo and a few nuts aren't going to trash hundreds of years of tradition.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, popular, press, prince charles, prince of wales, tabloid press