The Duchess of Cornwall names Cunard liner "Queen Victoria": December 10, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The reporter is claiming Camilla's "booming" voice sounds like a baritone who smokes twenty cigarettes a day. The tone of the article is somewhat negative and bitchy, eg "the curse of Camilla", "the voices of doom were quick to draw significance...", "a Duchess's unfortunate few seconds."

Thank you, Warren. I wasn't sure if it refered to 20 cigarettes or 20 glasses of whisky.... LOL.

As for bitchy, well, the duchess has still way to go till she is as untouchable as HM or the late QM. But she will end up on the pedestral, you'll see! :flowers:

The reporter is claiming Camilla's "booming" voice sounds like a baritone who smokes twenty cigarettes a day. The tone of the article is somewhat negative and bitchy, eg "the curse of Camilla", "the voices of doom were quick to draw significance...", "a Duchess's unfortunate few seconds."
So the bubbly failed to smash, rather than the curse of Camilla, the headline should read 'The curse that will now be upon the idiot who failed to set up the machine at the correct distance and angle'!

The QE2 has been in the news 3 times in the last 4 years for norovirus, so I don't think we need to worry about an unsmashed bottle bringing bad luck. :D

Camilla follows in Queen's footsteps with luxury liner launch

In a signal honour usually reserved for the Queen, the Duchess of Cornwall presided over the unveiling of shipping giant Cunard's newest ₤300-million liner Queen Victoria on Monday.

Elegant in a pale blue coat dress and striking hat Camilla was all smiles as she arrived at the Southampton docks, clearly mindful of having been tasked with a very special role.
Watched by her husband Charles and a 2000-strong VIP audience, the royal went on push to a button sending a bottle of Veuve Clicquot against the flank of the spectacular 16-deck cruiser.

Even the failure of the bottle of bubbly to smash couldn't take the shine off the occasion. As the Prince of Wales led the clapping his wife's smile didn't falter, and moments later another bottle was successfully broken over the side.

Pictures:
Group picture, with Queen Victoria in the background
Wonderful looking Camilla, with Prince Charles behind her

Last edited:
These articles postively annoy me; the "Curse of Camilla"--what rubbish!

Sorry, I think she looks matronly and with a flower pot on her head. Charles just looks idiotic.. like the cat that swallowed the canary. Well, they both got their wish. Hope they are happy now. I will retire now, along with GillW, and get on with my life.

Charles and Camilla mischief on new Queen Victoria cruise ship as Duchess blows whistle

Charles and Camilla mischief on new Queen Victoria cruise ship as Duchess blows whistle | the Daily Mail

:wub:Charles and Camilla are really lovely :wub: Wonderful pictures !!!!

By the way, has anybody got a link to a video of this event ??

This pic is quite sweet too. Looks like Charles is standing right behinde Camilla, his nose next to her hair ! :lol:
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1867/8042620polfotovb5.jpg

Last edited:
I don't like the sentiment of the article but I do agree that the coverage was pretty poor - scant reference on any of the national news programmes. Perhaps the launch will feature if they run a story about the maiden voyage
I am surprised to hear that you think that, the story was on the BBC as shown by Nico's link. I can't speak for ITV as I don't tend to watch their news. It has also been in all of the papers. :flowers:

I got stuck on a train tonight and during the silence, two old girls were going over the London Lite;

Old Biddy A : Is that the Queen Mum?
Old Biddy B : No, it's Camilla
Old Biddy A : Launchin' a boat? Oh she was launchin' a boat that's right, I see it on the news before I come out
Old Biddy B : That's a nice 'at. I want summink like that for Julie's weddin'.
Old Biddy A : It's probably Marksies.

I am surprised to hear that you think that, the story was on the BBC as shown by Nico's link. I can't speak for ITV as I don't tend to watch their news. It has also been in all of the papers. :flowers:

I agree about the newspaper coverage, but I don't recall the BBC running this story as part of their main evening programme ... I might have nipped out & made a cuppa & missed it!! :lol: I don't think either ITV or Sky gave it a high profile either.

I'm surprised by how much praise this outfit is getting. I think it is one of the worst she has worn since she married Prince Charles. The colour is lovely but the clothes are totally shapeless and it dosn't look nearly warm enough for this time of the year, especially beside the sea. I also don't think her hat is sitting properly on her head, I like these kind of hats usually but it just dosn't look right. All in all a 6 out of 10 IMO.

BeatrixFan, you are positively hilarious! Old Biddy A and Old Biddy B--too much!
Regarding the hat and the outfit--I think she looks nice, she always looks nice and she is just radiant! But, she has looked better and more regal. Someone did point out that one of her regular sized hats might not have been appropriate which is why she went with this hat; I don't particularly like it, it's a little too matronly for me, but Camilla always looks lovely irregardless.

I think Camilla looks lovely, and Charles must be very proud.

The first thing I noticed was how radiant the Duchess looked, then how happy Prince Charles was. Then I noticed her outfit which seemed to honor the Queen Mother. I think that this was a special occasion and the Duchess and PoW looked very happy to be there and it showed. She looked lovely and I think it had more to do with how happy she was than the clothes she was wearing.

As I am usually impressed with what Camilla wears, I must say that I am not a fan of this outfit nor the color of it. It completely reminds me of the late Queen Mother and her "blue outfits" that she used to wear.

I agree! She didn't look like herself. She looked like she raided QE or QE2's closet for an outfit to wear. It really isn't her usual style and doesn't suit her.

The first thing I noticed was how radiant the Duchess looked, then how happy Prince Charles was. Then I noticed her outfit which seemed to honor the Queen Mother.

What a delightful way to put it... But I enjoyed the idea, too, that she raided the closet Charles inherited from his grandmother as well - maybe they kept it when redecorating Clarence House.... :ROFLMAO:. Okay, it's said any man instinctively sees for a woman who resembles his mother or grandmother (depends on who he felt closer to) and I found that it's true with my husband, as I could be a relative of my mother-in-law, we have a lot in common including looks. Maybe Charles simply enjoys this style and as the 70/80ties retro is still in fashion - why not?

The outfit may seem 'old fashioned' to some of you, but to me it really brought sunshine to a cold day. The style wasn't just from the Queen Mothers 'day', it is a timeless classic with it's duster coat.

We would all have been complaining (at least I think we would), if she had turned up in the mini skirt and crop top, worn by an OAP, I had to endure looking at! Thank goodness I hadn't eaten! :sick:

I have seen photos of the Duchess' outfit. In some photos it is blue in other photos the coat looks gray. I guess it must be the light that day.

In most photos, Camilla looks good. It is her signature style of updated, classical look. I think her hat is a little different then her usual and the blue color of the garment that reminds everyone of the Queen Mother. :flowers:

The ABACA Press Gallery

Abaca Press Gallery
27 Images

In another gallery of images, I noticed the pic of Charles all giddy. He was so tickled to see a photo of his teen self visiting Southampton! It was very cute! :D

The Getty Images Gallery
20 Images

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom