The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-19-2014, 08:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

For some odd reason, the media love making it seem like Charles is jealous of William & Catherine's and now George's popularity. I just don't think that's the case. I think he's proud of his family and don't mind that the attention is on them as well. That's his court.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-19-2014, 08:40 AM
Royal Highness

Charles is the "Jane Brady" of the BRF : stuck in the middle of two more popular members of the Firm, it's all about the Queen and the Cambridges. He's a man with a redundant problem of self confidance and always need to be reassured, so i pretty think that sometimes, if not often, he thinks that his hard work is underestimated.
That's why Camilla has a key role in the story : she's the only one (with the late Queen Mum) to be able to comfort this insecure man (and that's why it didn't work at all with Dinana ...).

Old 04-19-2014, 09:38 AM
Courtier

I suppose DM couldn't invent any more articles about Duchess of Cambridge's dress, shoes, smilling, waving while on australian trip and therefore they have written something about Camilla. And of course they put one photo from australian trip.... Just to make article a bit longer....
Old 04-19-2014, 09:45 AM
Serene Highness

It's natural for anyone who works hard to be a bit jealous if the limelight is shining on someone else, but the intent of this article is obviously just to stir things up. First, I find it hard to believe that any of Camilla's friends talk to the Daily Mail (especially Richard Kay).

Moreover, the Queen referred to Camilla as that "wicked woman!" Really? Other questionable nuggets: Edward and Sophie are upset because Sophie is no longer the Queen's 'favorite,' Charles and his parents agreed about expanding his role only after the 2012 Jubilee, and Edward is now furious that Sophie has to curtsey to Camilla (didn't she always have to do so after Camilla and Charles got married).

I believe that Camilla makes Charles happy and less moody. This article though is just meat for Camilla haters.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:52 AM
Serene Highness

The Daily Fail once again tries to whip up trouble with NO attributable sources given ! I find no substance in this article whatsoever...
Old 04-19-2014, 10:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
The Daily Fail once again tries to whip up trouble with NO attributable sources given ! I find no substance in this article whatsoever...
It's from Richard Kay, Diana's hagiographer. No surprise here.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:14 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I will believe what Camilla wants and what Camilla thinks when it comes from her own mouth in a reputable interview. To me, the entire article was pure hogwash.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-19-2014, 07:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
It's from Richard Kay, Diana's hagiographer. No surprise here.
Who does Richard Kay hate more Charles or Camilla?
I was surprised that the comments section was more pro-Camilla or at least people seem to see that he is doing a hatchet job.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:31 PM
Majesty

I thought about your question which is quite a valid one and then I thought about the word 'hate' and thought again. Hate is a very intense verb. It takes so very many words to explain what it means in a dictionary, and yet, when you read what Richard Kay writes about Charles and Camilla you can't help but feel it. It oozes unhealthy venom and is utterly reppellent to any half-way decent human being.

I think his main target is actually Camilla because going back over time, the media had Charles, William and Harry on the defensive. Who could forget Charles 'open mic' incident when he said what he felt and his sons felt it too. Then along comes Camilla and, against all odds, Charles marries her and one of the things she brought to the marriage was experience dealing with the media on her own terms. She never let them define her and I think she worked hard to support her entire family in this arena and, let's face it, Charles, William and Harry all deal with the media with a lot more ease and aren't afraid of laughing at them.

This was never Richard Kay's dream career of writing ever more scathing articles about Charles, dining out on the quasi-fame he engendered in the haters, maybe he even saw himself as a King maker. Who knows. But what we do know is the Camilla changed the entire dynamics of the BRF and Kay and others of his ilk are reduced to trying to whip up a frenzy any way they can.

Charles is a happily married man as is his son William and if William isn't quite as sanguine as his father when dealing with the media, at least he is past pouting. Harry is doing alright but is able to keep a greater distance from the media and at least he hasn't actually punched one out lately.

I think that even if Camilla is obstensively seen to lose in the media, she wins more support with every continuing drop of poison. Don't you just love the irony.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:07 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I thought about your question which is quite a valid one and then I thought about the word 'hate' and thought again. Hate is a very intense verb. It takes so very many words to explain what it means in a dictionary, and yet, when you read what Richard Kay writes about Charles and Camilla you can't help but feel it. It oozes unhealthy venom and is utterly reppellent to any half-way decent human being.

I think his main target is actually Camilla because going back over time, the media had Charles, William and Harry on the defensive. Who could forget Charles 'open mic' incident when he said what he felt and his sons felt it too. Then along comes Camilla and, against all odds, Charles marries her and one of the things she brought to the marriage was experience dealing with the media on her own terms. She never let them define her and I think she worked hard to support her entire family in this arena and, let's face it, Charles, William and Harry all deal with the media with a lot more ease and aren't afraid of laughing at them.

This was never Richard Kay's dream career of writing ever more scathing articles about Charles, dining out on the quasi-fame he engendered in the haters, maybe he even saw himself as a King maker. Who knows. But what we do know is the Camilla changed the entire dynamics of the BRF and Kay and others of his ilk are reduced to trying to whip up a frenzy any way they can.

Charles is a happily married man as is his son William and if William isn't quite as sanguine as his father when dealing with the media, at least he is past pouting. Harry is doing alright but is able to keep a greater distance from the media and at least he hasn't actually punched one out lately.

I think that even if Camilla is obstensively seen to lose in the media, she wins more support with every continuing drop of poison. Don't you just love the irony.

Good points. I especially like your last sentence.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:01 AM
Nobility

Now Charles can save Camilla, just as she saved him in his darkest hour following the death of Queen Mother | Mail Online

The Daily mail is reaching.....
Old 04-29-2014, 03:18 PM
Courtier

Private funeral for her brother on Thursday 1 May 2014.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Sorry to be an ignorant American but I really am wondering. In general, for established families how soon does the funeral happen, in general after death in the UK?
I realize in many places a delay has to do with gathering the family, but here in the US soonest tends to prevail. Within 3 days of death is common and within a week almost always.
Thanks for any insight on this sensitive subject.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:07 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Sorry to be an ignorant American but I really am wondering. In general, for established families how soon does the funeral happen, in general after death in the UK?
I realize in many places a delay has to do with gathering the family, but here in the US soonest tends to prevail. Within 3 days of death is common and within a week almost always.
The funeral for Mark Shand also may be delayed because they need to ship the body home. Perhaps there's regulations they need to perform or whatnot before the funeral is possible?
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-29-2014, 09:18 PM
Heir Apparent

I thought I read that Tom Parker Bowles and another relative already collected the body, and flew with it back to Britain.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

One thing to remember in the UK is that when a citizen dies overseas there is always a UK inquest (remember that Diana died in France but they still had to hold an inquest in the UK) so it is also possible that the coroner may wish to check on medical findings etc before releasing the body for burial.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
In the Uk it used to be 3 days as well but that has become more difficult as red tape increases and resources dwindle. It took 7 days between the death of my father and his burial; for my mother the difference was 13 days.

If someone dies and they are not under a doctors care, then a post mortum in mandatory. So I would say between 7-15 days now.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks to all for the insight!
Old 04-30-2014, 03:22 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
In the Uk it used to be 3 days as well but that has become more difficult as red tape increases and resources dwindle. It took 7 days between the death of my father and his burial; for my mother the difference was 13 days.

If someone dies and they are not under a doctors care, then a post mortum in mandatory. So I would say between 7-15 days now.
I live in the UK and for my great uncle, his funeral was in late February this year and he'd passed away earlier in the month. He had a simple service however. But I think it depends on the family and what type of funeral the deceased person will be having. I would think that grander funerals would need to be planned for a longer time though, as there's the guests, church/crematorium, food, drinks, reception venue (although some people have the reception at their house), the coffin and other decorations such as flowers or ribbons to be bought and thought about. Of course I could be wrong, as I haven't been to many funerals and haven't had to help anyone arrange one, so I don't know how it works.

I know I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to send my condolences to the Shands, they must be feeling devastated at the news. RIP Mark.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-30-2014, 04:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Seriously- brother became a "father figure" in recent years? Since when does an adult woman in her sixties see her brother as a "father figure"? Their own father passed when they were both adults.

Silly and tawdry.