The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-24-2017, 12:47 PM
Aristocracy

Princess Charles looks wonderful in that hat. A good visit to RAF Halton.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield Bakery View Post
Princess Charles looks wonderful in that hat. A good visit to RAF Halton.
Who? Don't you mean the Duchess of Cornwall?

Yes, the Duchess looks great in that hat.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:31 PM
Royal Highness

I think Westfield is referring to the fact that as wife of a Prince she is entitled to take her husbands titles, e.g. Princess Michael of Kent, however by custom this is not done when there husband has a title of which there is a female form, e.g Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Countess of Chester. Likewise The Countess of Wessex could be referred to as Princess Edward but is usually referred to by the female form of his Earl of Wessex title.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I think Westfield is referring to the fact that as wife of a Prince she is entitled to take her husbands titles, e.g. Princess Michael of Kent, however by custom this is not done when there husband has a title of which there is a female form, e.g Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Countess of Chester. Likewise The Countess of Wessex could be referred to as Princess Edward but is usually referred to by the female form of his Earl of Wessex title.
Thank you. She is legally Princess Charles (Camilla), Duchess of Cornwall. I call her The Princess Charles, her sister-in-law, The Princess Edward.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Of all her titles Princess Charles is the lowest and implies that her husband isn't a peer of the realm.

To use that title is to demote both Camilla and more importantly Charles who has been a peer of the realm and not a commoner since the early hours of the 6th February,1952.

In the UK people use their highest titles as a general rule and not their lowest. The main exceptions are when Charles is in Scotland he uses Duke of Rothesay (and none of his other Scottish titles at all) as the heir to the throne of Scotland (which no longer exists but this title is still used by convention) and William who uses Earl of Strathearn in Scotland while none of the others do so. Andrew used to use Earl of Inverness in Scotland but even on his last visit to Inverness he used Duke of York. Charles also uses Earl of Chester when visiting Chester but those are the only times they royals don't use their senior titles.

Camilla has chosen to use Duchess of Cornwall and so we should respect that choice.

Some people, however, think it smart to use lesser titles at times not accepting that they are actually demoting and almost insulting the person they are doing that to.

To call any wife of a peer of the realm by a styling that says 'you are married to a commoner' and not a peer of the realm is incorrect. Buckingham Palace made that quite clear when William and Kate married when they were asked if it would be right to call Kate 'Princess William' and their reply was 'it would be incorrect to call her Princess William'. They didn't add the obvious - that as William was promoted from commoner to peer of the realm on his wedding day it would be incorrect to refer to his wife using a style that says 'my husband is a commoner and not a peer of the realm and so I am only able to use the Princess his name rather than a substantive title'. They assumed that anyone reading their reply would understand the difference and wouldn't use the incorrect forms knowing that they were incorrect.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:27 PM
Royal Highness

Well in an informal setting like this as long as we all know who we are talking about I don't think its the end of the world what title (as long as its respectful) people use. I mean most newspapers still call The Duchess of Cambridge "Kate Middleton".
Old 05-24-2017, 05:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

The point is that many people don't know who is being talked about when the most senior title isn't being used. Using a woman's maiden name means we do know but using Princess Charles or even worse Princess Edward (there are two such women in the BRF) means we don't necessarily know.

I think using either the Christian name or the highest formal title is the correct way to ensure that everyone does know who is being discussed as well as showing respect for the person about whom we are talking.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Thank you Tommy. I am grateful for your taking the time to post an explanation. I knew all of this, I just could not work out why anyone would refer to the Duchess in such a ridiculous manner when she is known either as Camilla or the Duchess of Cornwall.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
Thank you Tommy. I am grateful for your taking the time to post an explanation. I knew all of this, I just could not work out why anyone would refer to the Duchess in such a ridiculous manner when she is known either as Camilla or the Duchess of Cornwall.
That's her legal name--The Princess Charles. I call her the Duchess of Cornwall, the Princess of Wales. It's not demoting. Once they are married to their husbands as princesses, they are Princess/The Princess______________.

Camilla is The Princess Charles.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

You simply refuse to understand that calling her Princess Charles is also demoting Charles from a peer of the realm to a commoner.

BP says it is incorrect to use 'Princess own name'. That should be good enough for people to realise that it is wrong.

I will simply say this and then remove myself from any further discussion - most intelligent people when told by the Head of the Organisation or their representative - in this case Buckingham Palace - that something is 'incorrect' are able to take that advice and stop doing it.

Only people who deliberately want a confrontation continue to defy the organisation with their wilful insistence on demeaning and demoting people from their correct titles and styles.

In the UK the style of Princess Husband's Name is used by wives of commoners not wives of peers of the realm. To use that is to demote and demean both husband and the wife and the entire system.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:26 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield Bakery View Post
That's her legal name--The Princess Charles. I call her the Duchess of Cornwall, the Princess of Wales. It's not demoting. Once they are married to their husbands as princesses, they are Princess/The Princess______________.

Camilla is The Princess Charles.
There is nothing legal about The Princess Charles as a name. It is a title that designates the closeness to the British Throne. Camilla's "legal" name in the UK should she need one would be Camilla Rosemary Mountbatten-Windsor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I will simply say this and then remove myself from any further discussion - most intelligent people when told by the Head of the Organisation or their representative - in this case Buckingham Palace - that something is 'incorrect' are able to take that advice and stop doing it.
Westfield Bakery person, I think, has every right in the world to address anyone on these threads however they see fit as long as it stays within the guidelines of the terms of service set by the administration and the moderators.

Of course continuing to use titles and styles inappropriately will also result in opinions that this is just another American that has no clue how the British system of titles and styles work, what they mean and how they are used. Its their choice.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Of course continuing to use titles and styles inappropriately will also result in opinions that this is just another American that has no clue how the British system of titles and styles work, what they mean and how they are used. Its their choice.
And that is unfortunate Osipi, as there are so many Americans who post on these boards who demonstrate daily that they have an in-depth understanding of how titles work and their correct usage.

Still, as you say, personal choice.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:31 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
And that is unfortunate Osipi, as there are so many Americans who post on these boards who demonstrate daily that they have an in-depth understanding of how titles work and their correct usage.

Still, as you say, personal choice.
Yeps... you can always lead a horse to water but you cannot make him write an essay on theoretical physics. Some things are just beyond comprehension. I'm an American that learned by just being here.

Now... back to The Duchess of Cornwall current events. Lay on Macduff!
Old 05-26-2017, 12:40 AM
Nobility

Different topic have Charles or Camilla gone to Manchester or issued a statement.

I know the Queen did.
Charles needs to look caring and decisive at a time like this.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:52 AM
Heir Apparent

yes the couple released a statement

The Prince of Wales releases statement on Manchester bombing – Royal Central
Old 05-26-2017, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Let's stick to the topic please. If you wish to discuss Camilla's titles, you can do so in the 'Questions about British Styles and Titles' thread.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:53 AM
Administrator

Besides an engagement related to one of her patrongaes (see her extra thread), the Duchess of Cornwall yesterday, May 26, also visited the Hay Festival Wales' Secondary Schools Day in Hay On Wye to celebrate the festival's 30th anniversary year:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** video ** fb gallery **
Old 05-27-2017, 03:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreats View Post
Different topic have Charles or Camilla gone to Manchester or issued a statement.

I know the Queen did.
Charles needs to look caring and decisive at a time like this.
How would releasing a statement or going to Manchester make Charles look decisive?
Old 06-08-2017, 09:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Videos:
The Duchess of Cornwall at the South of England Show-
Camilla is having so much fun. Love her!
https://mobile.twitter.com/RE_DailyM...86050715979776

Knighting a framer with leek-
https://mobile.twitter.com/RE_DailyM...74735788199940

Viewing Animals-
https://mobile.twitter.com/RE_DailyM...65881578815488

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-26-2017, 04:55 PM
Courtier

Court Circular 25th August:
The Duchess of Rothesay, Honorary Member, this evening visited Upper Deeside Art Society's Annual Exhibition at Victoria Hall, Station Square, Ballater, Aberdeenshire.