The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 14: October 2013 - September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting - I wonder how the issue of security is being resolved alongside the need for social distancing. Camilla looks rather vulnerable there to me.

I don't think she went from Trafalgar Square, where the National Gallery is to Piccadilly Circus but went into Boots in Trafalgar Square (and a fine Boots it is there ... been there many times). The DM does day 'Piccadilly Square' and I think the first word is the typo.

Interesting - I wonder how the issue of security is being resolved alongside the need for social distancing. Camilla looks rather vulnerable there to me.
I think that rather tall suited gentleman behind her on her left looks to be PPO .

I don't think she went from Trafalgar Square, where the National Gallery is to Piccadilly Circus but went into Boots in Trafalgar Square (and a fine Boots it is there ... been there many times). The DM does day 'Piccadilly Square' and I think the first word is the typo.

You could well be right. There is a large Boots at the corner of Trafalgar Sq, by Charing Cross Station, and there is a large one on Piccadilly Circus as well.

Not too often you'd spot a member of the RF in Boots!

Wonderful seeing Camilla back out in London, and even walking to her events :flowers:

I love the peacock mask. Its wonderful that the proceeds of the masks go to Literacy trust and the My dear new friend program. One of Camilla's major passions is childhood literacy. Perfect thing for someone to gift her.

Court Circular 6th July:
Clarence House

The Duchess of Cornwall this afternoon visited Swindon Fire Station, Drove Road, Swindon, and was received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Wiltshire (Mrs Peter Troughton).

Her Royal Highness afterwards visited Swindon Borough Council, Civic Offices, Euclid Street, Swindon.

Court Circular 7th July:
Clarence House

The Duchess of Cornwall today appeared as guest editor on BBC Radio 5 Live’s The Emma Barnett Show, broadcast live from Clarence House.

Court Circular 15th July:
Clarence House

The Duchess of Cornwall this morning visited the Royal Hospital Chelsea, London SW3.

Court Circular 28th July:
Clarence House

The Duchess of Cornwall this morning visited the National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, London WC2, and was received by Mr Kevin Traverse-Healy (Deputy Lieutenant of Greater London).

Her Royal Highness afterwards met individuals involved in the Safe Space scheme run by the domestic violence charity Hestia, Boots, 44-46 Regent Street, London W1.

The Duchess of Cornwall presented lyricist Don Black with the Special Olivier Award at this year's virtual ceremony, it was recorded last week and will be shown this evening, October 25:

** Pic **

The Duchess of Cornwall participated in a virtual Tank Tea with veterans and serving members of The Royal Lancers:

** video 1 ** video 2 **

It seems Camilla's makes what is the result of a lot of hard work a cracking success once again. She is just so real and manages to make those she speaks to feel special, as if they are the centre of everything for that small period of time.

This is one of the weird pluses of the times we live in. Normally we would see few of these interactions let alone be a fly on the wall at a virtual tea party!

Covid has allowed us to actually see what she is doing and what she is saying instead of the requisite posed shots. Both Camilla and her hubby have really embraced the reality of the world we are living in and rocking the opportunities that modern technology provides far better than the junior members of the family.
O

The Duchess of Cornwall sent a message of support to this year's winner of the Man Booker Prize. The virtual ceremony took place this evening:

"While Covid deprived us of so many cultural pleasures - we have, at least, been able to read. And as long as we can read, we can travel, we can escape, we can explore, we can laugh, we can cry and we can grapple with life's mysteries."

** Pic ** Video ** bbc article **

Last edited:
:previous: Her words are so true. I am so pleased that Camilla promotes literacy.

You and me both, TLLK. It's not so much promoting literacy either as in the ability to read and comprehend what is being read but to install the actual *love* of reading is what opens a totally different world.

In our age of instant and visual input from our devices and the ease of point and click, to get lost in a book that feeds our imagination and thought processes is becoming a forgotten treasure.

There are two things I admire about Camilla most. One is her love for animals and the other is her love for reading books. I feel a kinship to her in that regard. ?

:previous: Osipi-Agreed. Speaking as a parent and a teacher, IMHO there is nothing like the thrill of seeing new readers of any age discover the joys of reading for pleasure. From learning the letters and their sounds to visualizing a story as you read the words from the page, it's truly magical.

:previous: Osipi-Agreed. Speaking as a parent and a teacher, IMHO there is nothing like the thrill of seeing new readers of any age discover the joys of reading for pleasure. From learning the letters and their sounds to visualizing a story as you read the words from the page, it's truly magical.

Getting lost in a book can prove to be detrimental though. I tend to be absorbed into what I'm reading. To the point of not even hearing a phone ringing close by and having an irate husband yelling at me "Why the hell didn't you answer the phone?!?". My answer? "Um... there are no phones in the 11th century!". To love a what you're reading so much that they're dubbed "books to burn pork chops by" and to be able to boast that I was over 40 before I finally learned to use a bookmark.

It all started for me with a teacher nun I had in grade school. Being severely ADHD, my attention span rivaled that of a demented gnat. Through learning the love of where books could take me, it taught me focus and it taught me to mentally calm my "itches in my britches" and opened a wonderful world for me that I cherish to this day. As I aged, I'm rarely without a book I'm currently reading and my lifestyle, due to health issues, finds me more dependent on mental endeavors rather than physical, I often imagine what I'd be like today without reading. I'll let you know when I finally do get that picture. :D

The Duchess of Cornwall sent a message of support to this year's winner of the Man Booker Prize. The virtual ceremony took place this evening:

"While Covid deprived us of so many cultural pleasures - we have, at least, been able to read. And as long as we can read, we can travel, we can escape, we can explore, we can laugh, we can cry and we can grapple with life's mysteries."

** Pic ** Video ** bbc article **

Definitely well said and very true. :flowers:

I think books have been an escape for almost everyone in the past 8 months. My dad and I have bonded over discussing what each other should read next as we both have become hermits except for the hospital. He leaves the house only for chemo and me for work.

You can see how much books help kids when they are sick, how they can escape into a different world. TV will never have that same power to inspire the imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom