The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 14: October 2013 - September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Such a worthy cause. It's a pity Camilla does not get more press coverage.

I was surprised as well that this event was more or less overseen by the press. That's a real pity..

Today, March 15, the Duchess of Cornwall as Honorary Member of the Jockey Club attended the second day of The Festival, Ladies Day, at Cheltenham Racecourse:

** dailymail: Is she hoping for the luck of the Irish? Camilla celebrates St Patrick's day early with an unusual all-green ensemble..**

I like the coat and hat separately. Perhaps its just my screen, but the 2 greens seem to clash. Might be totally different in person. I see The Boots are back again. What will she do in another few weeks and boot season will be over?

She didn't wear them to the Commonwealth Day service so yes she does have other shoes. She seems to wear the boots to totally outdoor engagements in the winter and early spring and late autumn but inside and during summer she doesn't

She just wears them constantly! It's hard to find a photo of her in the last 6 months wearing anything else.

Princess Charles looks wonderful in that hat. A good visit to RAF Halton.

I think Westfield is referring to the fact that as wife of a Prince she is entitled to take her husbands titles, e.g. Princess Michael of Kent, however by custom this is not done when there husband has a title of which there is a female form, e.g Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Countess of Chester. Likewise The Countess of Wessex could be referred to as Princess Edward but is usually referred to by the female form of his Earl of Wessex title.

I think Westfield is referring to the fact that as wife of a Prince she is entitled to take her husbands titles, e.g. Princess Michael of Kent, however by custom this is not done when there husband has a title of which there is a female form, e.g Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Countess of Chester. Likewise The Countess of Wessex could be referred to as Princess Edward but is usually referred to by the female form of his Earl of Wessex title.

Thank you. She is legally Princess Charles (Camilla), Duchess of Cornwall. I call her The Princess Charles, her sister-in-law, The Princess Edward.

Of all her titles Princess Charles is the lowest and implies that her husband isn't a peer of the realm.

To use that title is to demote both Camilla and more importantly Charles who has been a peer of the realm and not a commoner since the early hours of the 6th February,1952.

In the UK people use their highest titles as a general rule and not their lowest. The main exceptions are when Charles is in Scotland he uses Duke of Rothesay (and none of his other Scottish titles at all) as the heir to the throne of Scotland (which no longer exists but this title is still used by convention) and William who uses Earl of Strathearn in Scotland while none of the others do so. Andrew used to use Earl of Inverness in Scotland but even on his last visit to Inverness he used Duke of York. Charles also uses Earl of Chester when visiting Chester but those are the only times they royals don't use their senior titles.

Camilla has chosen to use Duchess of Cornwall and so we should respect that choice.

Some people, however, think it smart to use lesser titles at times not accepting that they are actually demoting and almost insulting the person they are doing that to.

To call any wife of a peer of the realm by a styling that says 'you are married to a commoner' and not a peer of the realm is incorrect. Buckingham Palace made that quite clear when William and Kate married when they were asked if it would be right to call Kate 'Princess William' and their reply was 'it would be incorrect to call her Princess William'. They didn't add the obvious - that as William was promoted from commoner to peer of the realm on his wedding day it would be incorrect to refer to his wife using a style that says 'my husband is a commoner and not a peer of the realm and so I am only able to use the Princess his name rather than a substantive title'. They assumed that anyone reading their reply would understand the difference and wouldn't use the incorrect forms knowing that they were incorrect.

Well in an informal setting like this as long as we all know who we are talking about I don't think its the end of the world what title (as long as its respectful) people use. I mean most newspapers still call The Duchess of Cambridge "Kate Middleton".

The point is that many people don't know who is being talked about when the most senior title isn't being used. Using a woman's maiden name means we do know but using Princess Charles or even worse Princess Edward (there are two such women in the BRF) means we don't necessarily know.

I think using either the Christian name or the highest formal title is the correct way to ensure that everyone does know who is being discussed as well as showing respect for the person about whom we are talking.

Thank you Tommy. I am grateful for your taking the time to post an explanation. I knew all of this, I just could not work out why anyone would refer to the Duchess in such a ridiculous manner when she is known either as Camilla or the Duchess of Cornwall.

Thank you Tommy. I am grateful for your taking the time to post an explanation. I knew all of this, I just could not work out why anyone would refer to the Duchess in such a ridiculous manner when she is known either as Camilla or the Duchess of Cornwall.

That's her legal name--The Princess Charles. I call her the Duchess of Cornwall, the Princess of Wales. It's not demoting. Once they are married to their husbands as princesses, they are Princess/The Princess______________.

Camilla is The Princess Charles.

You simply refuse to understand that calling her Princess Charles is also demoting Charles from a peer of the realm to a commoner.

BP says it is incorrect to use 'Princess own name'. That should be good enough for people to realise that it is wrong.

I will simply say this and then remove myself from any further discussion - most intelligent people when told by the Head of the Organisation or their representative - in this case Buckingham Palace - that something is 'incorrect' are able to take that advice and stop doing it.

Only people who deliberately want a confrontation continue to defy the organisation with their wilful insistence on demeaning and demoting people from their correct titles and styles.

In the UK the style of Princess Husband's Name is used by wives of commoners not wives of peers of the realm. To use that is to demote and demean both husband and the wife and the entire system.

That's her legal name--The Princess Charles. I call her the Duchess of Cornwall, the Princess of Wales. It's not demoting. Once they are married to their husbands as princesses, they are Princess/The Princess______________.

Camilla is The Princess Charles.

There is nothing legal about The Princess Charles as a name. It is a title that designates the closeness to the British Throne. Camilla's "legal" name in the UK should she need one would be Camilla Rosemary Mountbatten-Windsor.

I will simply say this and then remove myself from any further discussion - most intelligent people when told by the Head of the Organisation or their representative - in this case Buckingham Palace - that something is 'incorrect' are able to take that advice and stop doing it.

Westfield Bakery person, I think, has every right in the world to address anyone on these threads however they see fit as long as it stays within the guidelines of the terms of service set by the administration and the moderators.

Of course continuing to use titles and styles inappropriately will also result in opinions that this is just another American that has no clue how the British system of titles and styles work, what they mean and how they are used. Its their choice. ;)

Last edited:
Of course continuing to use titles and styles inappropriately will also result in opinions that this is just another American that has no clue how the British system of titles and styles work, what they mean and how they are used. Its their choice. ;)

And that is unfortunate Osipi, as there are so many Americans who post on these boards who demonstrate daily that they have an in-depth understanding of how titles work and their correct usage.

Still, as you say, personal choice.

And that is unfortunate Osipi, as there are so many Americans who post on these boards who demonstrate daily that they have an in-depth understanding of how titles work and their correct usage.

Still, as you say, personal choice.

Yeps... you can always lead a horse to water but you cannot make him write an essay on theoretical physics. Some things are just beyond comprehension. I'm an American that learned by just being here.

Now... back to The Duchess of Cornwall current events. Lay on Macduff!

Different topic have Charles or Camilla gone to Manchester or issued a statement.

I know the Queen did.
Charles needs to look caring and decisive at a time like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom