The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-10-2015, 08:26 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

The Duchess has had to cancel her engagement in Hampshire today, as she has gastroenteritis. She was scheduled to present medals and take the salute of the Royal Naval Medical Services to mark the end of Operation Gritrock.

Duchess of Cornwall forced to cancel Hampshire appearance due to illness (From Daily Echo)

Old 09-10-2015, 08:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 3h3 hours ago
The First Sea Lord, Admiral Sir George Zambellas, will now present medals and read Camilla's speech, Clarence House says.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 3h3 hours ago
Camilla was due to attend an event in London tonight and has an engagement in the capital tomorrow. Aides say it's not clear if she will go.

I hope Camilla recovers soon. Same problem The Queen had.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-10-2015, 09:11 AM
Heir Apparent

I was afraid it was something related to the Osteoporosis again. Wishing her well.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:23 PM
Royal Highness

Did Camilla attend the BGC Annual Global Charity Day or did she cancel?
Old 09-11-2015, 10:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

She doesn't show up in any of the photos that I have seen.

Sophie did attend.

The FE had Charles attending an event associated with this day but not Camilla (at least up to the 6th September when I did my latest update for the FE for September).

The CC for the 11th won't be published until the 12th in the UK (Saturday papers) and not online until who knows when - at their current rate of updating sometime after H*** freezes over I suspect.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:45 PM
Royal Highness

The CC does not show Camilla attended The BGC Annual Global Charity Day on behalf of Elephant Family so she was still sick on Friday.

She was able to receive David and Samantha Cameron on Saturday so she is feeling better, but it is unfortunate that she missed an opportunity to bring further recognition to her brother's charity.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt The Duchess of Cornwall will miss a third public engagement because of ill-health.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt The Duchess of Cornwall will miss a third public engagement because of ill-health.
I do hope she is better soon.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:32 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I hope so too. From experience, I know that as I got older, it took me longer and longer to bounce back from things. Heck, I'm still trying to bounce back from a cold I got last fall and here we are approaching another cold and flu season here.

Hopefully Camilla is pampering herself a bit and following doctor's orders.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-28-2015, 01:44 AM
Majesty

According to this brief article, Penny Junor is writing a book about Camilla. Penny Junor's book will reveal the truth about Camilla, ANDREW PIERCE writes | Daily Mail Online
Old 10-13-2015, 05:16 PM
Administrator

The Duchess of Cornwall presented the Man Booker Prize 2015 in London today, October 13:

** gettyimages gallery ** dailymail: She's well RED! Literary lover Camilla wears a crimson pashmina ..*
Old 10-13-2015, 09:55 PM
Royal Highness

Duchess of Cornwall tells how she wants to 'shine a light on the violence hiding in the dark corners of our society’ http://t.co/QFUIrR3jQW

I will be interested in reading this. I don't know if ANY royal can sprinkle royal fairy dust on this problem and make it better. Bold move to take this one on.
I mean any royal !! I'm not saying this because it's Camila. I know they take on mental health visting jails etc.
I just don't see a visit by a royal "shinning a light on it " can help.
Please note this is JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-13-2015, 10:46 PM
Heir Apparent

This is not a new cause for Camilla; it's a long term one that she's spent a lot of time on. Camilla Parker Bowles urges nation to build a future in which sex crimes are not tolerated | Daily Mail Online; Brave mother whose rape agony inspired Camilla to act: How duchess was moved profoundly by story of woman who was scarred by brutal gang rape aged 16 | Daily Mail Online

I think that this is one of those issues that will benefit by having light shone on it, much like the land mines and AIDS issues Diana gave her time to. Victims of this sort of violence need to be encouraged to speak about their experiences and not to feel ashamed or feel they are to blame for what was done to them. For far too long sexual violence has been tolerated by our society and the victims blamed and shamed into keeping quiet, resulting in too many men getting away with the crime. Things are changing, but having the support of a high-profile woman like Camilla to draw attention to the issue is of great help.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:10 AM
Royal Highness

To me land mines was a cause that governments could do something about and AIDS awareness did change things.
But I don't see the Camilla's involvement will stop rape it might help people who want to talk about it
But I'm not sure about that

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-14-2015, 04:47 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
To me land mines was a cause that governments could do something about and AIDS awareness did change things.
But I don't see the Camilla's involvement will stop rape it might help people who want to talk about it
I think the aim is to bring awareness more to the forefront to help the victims of violence and sex crimes realize that they are not alone and to stress the fact that they've been victimized and help is available.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-14-2015, 05:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post

I don't know about the UK, but we now have a Minister for the Prevention of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault: New anti-domestic violence minister Pru Goward highlights prevention

Minister for the Prevention of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault, Minister for Mental Health, Minister for Medical Research, Minister for Women, Assistant Minister for Health - Ministers

I don't think Camilla's involvement will stop rape, but I do think that having high profile spokespeople promotes awareness which can ultimately help lead to change and reduction, if not elimination, of the problem. In respect of this issue, what needs to change is the cultural practices in our society that constitute rape culture. (As to what "rape culture" means, see here: 25 Everyday Examples of Rape Culture — Everyday Feminism )

Talking about issues and drawing public attention to them can lead to change. Organisations like Beyond Blue, with high profile spokesman like former Victorian State Premier Jeff Kennett, have done a lot to destigmatise mental health problems in Australia by having them talked about openly like any other health issue. Talking about things can lead to changed attitudes. Victims/sufferers don't feel so isolated and they are helped. A similar change can happen with domestic violence/sexual assault, and Camilla is helping draw attention to the issue and getting people talking and doing something to help rape victims and change society's views.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:29 AM
Administrator

The Duchess of Cornwall at the Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre (RASASC) in Croydon today, October 14:

** gettyimages/zimbo gallery **
Old 10-14-2015, 01:25 PM
Royal Highness

Camilla campaign is to help the victims of sexual abuse.

She wants to raise the awareness of the effects of sexual abuse and increase the number of support centers the victims can turn to for help.

Camilla regularly visits rape centers and talks directly with victims.

Camilla has been supporting victims of sexual abuse both in the U.K. and internationally since 2009.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Error on royal website re 11th October.

At the present time, the CC is saying that Camilla attended the Mann Booker event on the 11th October.

As this thread shows, the event took place on the 13th.

Sadly, the 13th isn't on the website yet.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-14-2015, 05:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Camilla campaign is to help the victims of sexual abuse.

She wants to raise the awareness of the effects of sexual abuse and increase the number of support centers the victims can turn to for help.

Camilla regularly visits rape centers and talks directly with victims.

Camilla has been supporting victims of sexual abuse both in the U.K. and internationally since 2009.
I put in a number of years a sexual assault advocate (we helped people who had been sexually assaulted rather than advocate for abuse) and I have to take issue with one thing the DM attributed to the visit. Someone (and I think they meant the DOC) said that you can't exactly advertise that kind of service.
I disagree. You can and we did. Note that this was all pre-social media, but that choice would only make things easier to publicize. We were listed in the yellow pages, white pages and advocacy pages. We had close contact with the local schools and shelters and had flyers posted there. We were in contact with first responders (medical, police and fire), child advocacy agencies and local politicians who all knew who we were, what we did and how to reach us. The hospitals had our posters and would ask presenting patients if they would like us to be called in for them. We also were in contact with local OB-GYNs, Planned Parenthood and Pediatricians. We worked closely with the local press and had several events during the year for the press that spoke to who were were, what we did and how to contact us. We also did various program presentations for local employers when asked, and we were asked often.
We covered two counties - spanning a state border. We had a 24/7 hotline, a daytime staffed office and would go out on calls 24 hours a day. We would attend hearings, doctor visits and other required "meetings" as requested by those we represented.
In general, working with survivors, an advocate's job is to enable survivors to do what they want, to "feel" control; to do what they feel is best for them; to let them know that they are valued and that their experience need not define them forever.
I loved that volunteer work. It was almost always very sad but so very needed and important.
And it can be advertised in ways that make it effective.