Should Camilla attend the memorial service for Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTruth

Heir Presumptive
City
Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower
Country
France
I would like to start a poll on this question but it's a little controversial so if the moderators think it's a worthless thread that could cause some fight then delete it, no problem with me :flowers:.

I would like to start a poll on this question but it's a little controversial so if the moderators think it's a worthless thread that could cause some fight then delete it, no problem with me :flowers:.

It's an interesting question if we can all be civil. My thought is that she is going to get it one way or the other depending on how you viewed her before and after her marriage to Charles. Personally I think if William and Harry invited her then she should go but keep a low profile. Perhaps have Charles sitting with the boys and Camilla one row back sitting with Andrew, Anne, and Edward and their spouses. I would have to check the protocol on that one - so I'm just guessing it would be ok to do that.

That sure is a very controversial question. In my opinion she should not be allowed to go. It's a memorial service in memory of Diana and she has no place to be there. Unless ofcourse as you alrready indicated it is personally asked to her by both Diana's sons, and even than somewhere in the back. I'm actually quite interested in whether she'll go

It's an interesting question if we can all be civil. My thought is that she is going to get it one way or the other depending on how you viewed her before and after her marriage to Charles. Personally I think if William and Harry invited her then she should go but keep a low profile. Perhaps have Charles sitting with the boys and Camilla one row back sitting with Andrew, Anne, and Edward and their spouses. I would have to check the protocol on that one - so I'm just guessing it would be ok to do that.

I agree here, go if invited, and then keep the lowest profile possible.

Even if invited, In my opinion Camilla should not go.

She should only go if William and Harry invited her, but the thing is would she want to go because she knows that if she does she will be the one making headlines the next morning.

I hope the princes do not invite Camilla. In my opinion, a presence of Camilla seems like a slap or a smear of mug on Princess Diane's face

I hope the princes do not invite Camilla. In my opinion, a presence of Camilla seems like a slap or a smear of mug on Princess Diane's face

Too late, I think. She has already been invited by them.

Camilla is invited from the Princes William and Harry. And she will attend the memorial service. You can read it on the Prince of Wales website!
The absolutely right decision!
She´s the wife of the Prince of Wales and the stepmother to the two Princes. They all want to have her there. And she will be . I´m sure by the side of her husband and nowhere else.

It is a controversial topic but one I think relevant, as long as the tone of the thread can be kept civil, at best.

Should she, or shouldn't she?

Yes and No, but considering it's either one or the other then it would have to be yes in my opinion.

Camilla has a duty to perform, an obligation to the family which she is now a senior member and a duty to her two step sons and their father, her husband. And dare I say it, to Diana herself.

Acknowledging her not as an 'adversary' of sorts but as a devoted mother, a wife, an active humanitarian campaigner and as the woman who, personal issues between the two aside, did alot of good for a great many people throughout her short life. Giving thanks for the life of an extroadinary lady, though not without her misgivings, who remains (even in death) in a position by where her memory and works are still continued by the various organizations and institutions she supported and worked along side. In my mind, that is something worth giving thanks for.

Charles was Diana's husband and I believe he did grow to love her, not in the way a husband necessarily should but nonetheless, she was a very large part of his life for many years and bore him two sons, both of whom he loves endlessly. Diana was his wife and nothing shall ever change that.

But...

They truly didn't like one another (added: one would think) and Camilla's presence at the service is sure to get up peoples noses given the tumultuous and disdainful nature of the 'relationship' (if one can call it that) between the two. If Camilla were still a private citizen, I'm inclined to think she would not have attended let alone been invited, nor would have she watched the telecast I'm inclined to assume.

Here is a woman who brought about much anxiety and pain for Diana (it went both ways), and knowing that isn't so easy to forget..least of all for factions of the public.

Even so, we can't control where it is cupid's arrow falls and she does love Charles, that is clear and I believe that Diana would wan't him to be happy as I am sure he did her aswell.

My hope is that Camilla wants to be there and isn't just going because she either has to, or feels obligated. That would be a gross insult and I'd prefer her not to attend if that were the case, which of course we have no way of knowing either way. Yet, I'm hopeful she is not the kind of woman to do that...Royal Duchess or not!

It is an interesting topic and it shall be interesting to see how long it stays open...:D

Last edited:
I think that out of respect she shouldn't attend. Diana did not like her, so for that reason alone she should stay away.

Couldn't care less. If I had my way then nobody would be going. I won't get my way however so I shall have to ensure a media block out as this dirge continues.

It is an interesting topic and it shall be interesting to see how long it stays open...:D

I really like it that you give good arguments to explain you opinion, Madame Royale.
But i don´t agree that it´s an interesting topic. Here you can find only the same old stuff for and against Diana or Camilla, we can read in all other threads with similar topics.
And again the question is not whether Camilla will attend or not, you can only like or dislike that she will attend.

Like BeatrixFan, I wish she could turn around and tell everyone to get lost and put her feet up with a nice glass of wine. Diana with her imaginings and excuses caused a great deal of misery for Camilla, especially with the bitchy remark about there being three in the marriage from the beginning, when she clearly knew that was untrue.

Harry told everyone they 'love her to bits', William is clearly happy in her company and she gets on well with all the royals it would seem.

William and Harry invited her and of course she should sit in her rightful place, along side her husband.

I think since the boys invited her, she will attend. However, she probably would have been relieved if they hadn't invited her. She knows that the press will be all over her presence and everyone will be whispering. She may try to keep a low profile but you know the press. :ermm: Oh well, keep a stiff upper lip and do your duty Camilla.:walesflag:

Last edited:
Diana did not like her, so for that reason alone she should stay away.
When she died, Diana didn't like half the people who are going to be there, so......

Regardless its a loose loose situation for her

Well said. I agree, if William and Harry invited her, she should be able to go. Whether she does go or not I'm not sure, that's her decision. I also agree that having Charles and the boys sitting together, as well as people from Diana's family or extremely close friends, should have priority, and then Camilla sitting with Andrew, Anne, Edward, and any other royals who are there. I don't think that she should come if she would make a huge deal about herself, or William and Harry didn't ask her to come. That wouldn't be fair, since it's not about her. But I think everything will be o.k.

I also agree that having Charles and the boys sitting together, as well as people from Diana's family or extremely close friends, should have priority, and then Camilla sitting with Andrew, Anne, Edward, and any other royals who are there.
I am astounded by the suggestion from people on here, that Camilla should not sit with Charles and the boys, who whether you like it or not are part of her family as she is theirs.

It's amazing that the woman you keep telling us, was loving, caring, a great humanitarian, could continue to cause so much division for some, 10 years after her death. What a legacy of hope and forgiveness she leaves through her fans.

This is just getting spiteful now. Why don't we stick Camilla in a shed? Will that suit you instead? That woman has had a concert, now she's getting a memorial service, her fanatics should consider themselves lucky because if the intelligent majority in Britain had their say it wouldn't be happening at all and it wouldn't be an excuse for people to bash the hell out of Camilla.

This is a classic lose-lose situation. If she goes, the press has a field day on the subject of "how insensitive! how hurtful! what would poor Diana think?" If she doesn't go, it'll be "aha! guilty conscience!" "see, that just goes to show that Diana's sons hate her!" Whatever she does will create press headlines, almost certainly unfavourable, so she may as well do what Charles wants her to do since we know for dead certain that she'll never in a million years do it right where the Daily Mail is concerned.

sadly i thinks camilla can't win either way. if she goes people will resent it, if she doesn't people will talk about that too. i hope she follows her heart and does what she feels is best for the boys and her husband. she has yet to go to an event and try to steal center attention, i can't imagine her doing so on purpose at this event, however the press i fear will make her the story no matter what she does.

Well, the "can't win either way" applies only to the media reports and perception. She can, of course, win in one way and that is to go along with what her husband, step-sons, and all the family want her to do. Being a winner in their eyes is what counts.

Camila shouldn´t assist to the memorial of Diana. I don´t understant why did William and Harry invite Her?

Because she's their step-mother and they love her?

Camila shouldn´t assist to the memorial of Diana. I don´t understant why did William and Harry invite Her?

What do you know for sure about their relationship? What do we all know? May be she nursed them after the death of their mother? Can´t imagine Charles or a few nannies did it all alone.
For me it is no question: she has to go to the service. And she will. And she is not the person who likes to be in the center. Did you see it ever? (only if Charles draw attention to her in public).

non-discussion

I find it a non-discussion anyway. It has already been announced that the royal family will attend the remembrance service for Diana, Princess of Wales.

We can jump high and low, but the two only persons who matter in this are the Princes William and Harry. They have requested their father and stepmother's attendance and that was it. We have to respect their decision and leave them in peace.

I think that she will attend... Charles will not go to the service without her... it will be an occasion to make history and turn the page... Diana is certainly happy to see her former husband happy and her two boys also happy and united...but i'm sure that Camilla will be there with the Queen Mother's pearls necklace.... Queen Mother's earrings... Queen Mother's diamonds bracelet.... Queen Mother's brooch and of course an enormous hat...

I started this poll so maybe I should stay neutral but I can't help but opening my mouth again. If William and Harry did invite her, it's because it's probably the best thing to do. Diana loved her boys and was proud of them so if it's their choice no biggie. Although, the press won't think like me. Anyway the press is lunatic, one day they adore you the next they throw you in the trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom