Should Camilla attend the memorial service for Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope the crowds are respectful when she arrives too. I may not be the biggest fan, but I would not enjoy someone being hounded like that.

I just hope the crowds are respectful when she arrives too

I wouldn't be much amused if they aren't.

It's quite possible this could be one of the more challenging moments thus far, since marrying into the family. Being the first (and no doubt last) public display by where Camilla is attending anyting, let alone a service, in recognition of her predecessor is an occasion where tongues shall wag witlessly and emotions for some, run high.

She shall surely be scrutinized and her body language assessed vigorously. Not a position, I myself, envy with any particular lust.

In life Diana was not fond of Camilla, and Camilla probably felt the same towards Diana. But wherever Diana may be, I'm certain no grudges or ill feelings linger, and I would like to think that Camilla can (if she already has not) make that same change to her life, having the opportunity to do so, whereas at the time of her death, that was the only way Diana was able to acquire that same forgiveness and that in itself, was a tragic outcome.

Last edited:
For me all that discussion make a fuss about that memorial service.
It will happen and the press will have their event, but two days later nobody will talk about it and something else will make the headlines.

I personally don't think it would be a good idea for Camillla to assist in the memorial of Diana because she isn't really liked by some Daina fans.
So what, they are far from being important are they. :ROFLMAO:
First of all, you have to think about how Diana would feel about her being there. Diana would probably be strongly against Camilla being there (Diana would probably be strongly against the marriage in general......
Are you saying that Diana would not have matured over the last 10 years and would still be bitter and twisted! :rolleyes:

For all those apparently worried about the 'crowds' and how they will treat Camilla, rest easy, the police will not only have their batons, (nightsticks), but live ammo as well, (the army will also be issued with live rounds as usual) if the well mannered British public are unable to stomp on the few Diana fans who might decide to disrespect the royal family.

Last edited:
I'm a Diana 'fan' but I have absolutely no anger for Camilla or the RF. If the fans are so stupid to disrespect the RF or Camilla, they should think a little more. This memorial is for Diana and nobody else, the fans should be happy for that. We've already had a beautiful concert (where Camilla and Charles didn't go) and making a revolution on this memorial is not a good way to thank William and Harry for all the massive work they've done. I mean by that, if the fans insult the RF they also disrespect Diana's boys.

Hey all,

I just stumbled on to this topic, with regard to whether or not Camilla should or shouldn't go to Diana's memorial service, I think she will do what is best ofr her and her family. I have never been a Diana fan but I belive that if she were still alive she would have moved on by now and found happiness but she isn't and there is no reason the rabid elements of her fanbase can't get a grip and let things that have never affected them go. I personally think she should go as her step sons asked her,

I think Camilla will take a pounding in the press whether she attends the memorial service or not. If she goes, she's seen as a hypocrite, etc. because she was partially to blame for the break-up of Charles & Diana's mariage. If she doesn't attend, then she could be viewed as cold or heartless, etc. I liked the suggestion of attending but sitting with other family members, not up with Charles, William & Harry.

I´m yearning for "the day"! Than this (I´m sorry) stupid question will be history. Camilla attended the service, everyone will talk about her dress and her perfect behavior and that was it.:flowers:

I´m yearning for "the day"! Than this (I´m sorry) stupid question will be history. Camilla attended the service, everyone will talk about her dress and her perfect behavior and that was it.:flowers:

Lol, sorry for the stupid question but I had to ask it just to see the opinion of the members. I'm sure, like you, that she will do great.:flowers:

I would like to think that by now Diana, Charles and Camilla would have resolved their differences because of the boys and the mutual respect that I think would of developed over the years. I would hope that they would have followed the example of some hollywood couples, like Bruce Willis and Demi Moore, who put their kids first.
Although I "loved" Diana, I believe she would of found happiness and wouldn't have begrudge Charles his happiness finally. Remember, Charles was pressured to "sow" his wild oates and then find a nice pure upper crust young lady to marry. I think, if left to his own choice, he would of picked Camilla Shand before she married APB. Even though it was the 70's in a lot of ways, the british royal family was still stuck in the 19th century. Charles never was very assertive person about his life plan until he reached his 50's.
I hope one lesson that comes out of all of this is to allow William and Harry to make some of their own choices and no always bend to what is best for the Monarchy. IMO

This is really awkward, because it's kind of a "kill her if she does, kill her if she doesn't" situation for Camilla. If she goes to the memorial, she'll get bashed by the press and the public for not honoring Diana's memory, wanting publicity for herself, etc. If she doesn't go, she'll get accused of being a coward, or feeling guilty, or something of that sort. So there really isn't a right decision. I personally hope that she stays home, just to honor Diana in that way, because she hurt her so much. But it will be quite interesting to see what she ends up doing.

I personally hope that she stays home, just to honor Diana in that way, because she hurt her so much. But it will be quite interesting to see what she ends up doing.

Well I think she will go:ermm:. She was asked by William and Harry and I think it would be better if she didn't go because maybe the press would say she feels guilty but it's not as bad as saying she has not respected Diana by going IMO. If she doesn't go, people will say : maybe she feels guilty but at least she respected her by not going. If she goes they'll say : I can't believe she dared to assist !
In any case she will be stabbed by the press but as a Diana 'admirer', I would prefer her not to assist or if she does, to be very careful. But in any case I understand her choice, which is a very difficult one.

Last edited:
Well I think she will go:ermm:. She was asked by William and Harry and I think it would be better if she didn't go because maybe the press would say she feels guilty but it's not as bad as saying she has not respected Diana by going IMO. If she doesn't go, people will say : maybe she feels guilty but at least she respected her by not going. If she goes they'll say : I can't believe she dared to assist !
In any case she will be stabbed by the press but as a Diana 'admirer', I would prefer her not to assist or if she does, to be very careful. But in any case I understand her choice, which is a very difficult one.
If William and Harry asked her to be there, then I think she should do what the "boys" want, it doesn't matter how old they get to me they will always be Diana's boys. If they can accept and forgive Camilla, who are the press to make any comments about her presence. Obviously, the boys have figured out that she makes their father happy, I just hope they weren't pressured to "ask" her.
I have never really been to fond of Camilla or do I understand Prince Charles attraction but it isn't up to me to decide. All I ever hoped for, just as everyone else here, is to see Diana's boys happy and maybe seeing their father happy, makes them happy.

It is not a service to 'honour' Diana, it is a service to remember a woman who died 10 years ago and all the 'works' she did.

Camilla will be there, sat with the rest of her family, Charles, William and Harry. Even Charlie Spencer, his new wife, her sisters and many people Diana believed caused her pain and wasn't speaking to, will be there. TLB will be there, HM, Prince Philip - all people Diana said 'hurt' her. Perhaps they should cancel this service altogether, far from a healing that the boys wanted, if the guests are betraying Diana's memory in the same way, then there is no hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not a service to 'honour' Diana, it is a service to remember a woman who died 10 years ago and all the 'works' she did.

Isn't that the same thing as honoring her?

Isn't that the same thing as honoring her?
Not normally, no, a memorial service is a standard church service, with favourite hymns, readings, psalms etc.

They are honoring her, by having a memorial service for her. It is a church service, but they are having it to honor Diana, her life, and her good works.

Everything seems quite simple for me - Prince William and Prince Harry have invited their stepmother (whom they 'love to bits'), she agreed to attend the memorial, and she will attend it.

I don't think Prince William or Prince Harry could be pressured to do anything - they have expressed their love and fondness for their step-mother more then once, and in any case, if they hadn't felt comfortable with Camilla's presence, I'm sure Prince Charles & The Duchess of Cornwall would find a way out - they could make an important abroad visit, for instance.

For me, there is a symbolism in the fact The Duchess is invited - I think the Princes give a clear signal that for them the past is indeed past, it's time to go on. They are happy to live their lives alongside people, who are there for them now (Charles & Camilla), while not forgetting those, who have gone (Diana).

Last edited:
I believe if it's the boys choice then let it be. Anyway, if this memorial was only made for the people who stand by Diana until her death, there would be her boys, Lucia Flecha de Lima, and some of her closest friends. Her family didn't help her when she was alive so why should they attend if we think this way. I see this memorial as a reconciliation between Diana and people who weren't in cordial terms at the time of her death. It's a 'chance' to tell her that even if they were ennemies, it's all gone now.

They are honoring her, by having a memorial service for her. It is a church service, but they are having it to honor Diana, her life, and her good works.
No, as I keep saying a memorial service is to remember her and what she meant to the people invited to attend.

Here in the UK you can have a memorial service for a 6 month old baby. You could hardly call that having a service to honour could you.

Everything seems quite simple for me - Prince William and Prince Harry have invited their stepmother (whom they 'love to bits'), she agreed to attend the memorial, and she will attend it.
Very well said. :flowers:

They are honoring her...and I agree. 10 years on..all would have moved on had she lived.

She did quite a bit of good for the United Kingdom, personal life aside, whether anyone dislikes her or not. That is a fact of life. She changed, not necessarily directly, the Monarchy in some ways for the better and forced change and modernization in areas where it was needed.

Whether you liked or disliked her....that is the truth....

Let the boys honor THEIR mother how they want. Camilla goes...cool...:flowers::angel:

I think Camilla will keep that stiff upper lip and do what is wanted by William and Harry.

All this talk about Camilla v Diana... After ten years isn't it about time for it to stop. Give it another ten years and there will an entire generation that never saw Diana and will care less.....

Time marches on and people keep putting Diana on a pedistol ...yes she was wonderful person who did good things ..but isn't it about time she is left in peace ..... Do you really think the boys enjoy seeing and hearing about the mud slining over their mother and Camilla.....

She did quite a bit of good for the United Kingdom, personal life aside, whether anyone dislikes her or not. That is a fact of life. She changed, not necessarily directly, the Monarchy in some ways for the better and forced change and modernization in areas where it was needed.
That of course is a matter of opinion, not that I can think of one good thing she did for the UK, throughout this board there are divisions. Diana seemed to herald in the 'I'm a victim, pity me, tell all' culture. If she was still alive she would probably have been on Tricia or one of the other trashy tell all programmes.

Camilla should attend, will attend, and is attending. She will conduct herself with the utmost respect and dignity. As someone pointed out, she will then go home with her husband.

Charles, Diana and Camilla were victims of their circumstances. Diana loved (I’m not sure she really loved him, which is really ironic) a man who did not love her, and Camilla dared to love a man who loved her back. If anyone is to blame, I think it is the institution. The idea that Diana was helpless and was made to be miserable is immature to say the least. Bitterness and revenge never gets anyone anywhere. At the end of the day, we all have personal responsibilities. Diana did not keep her end of the bargain, she should not have to, but she could have bowed out gracefully, she did not.

I loved Diana in the beginning, only liked her in the end. She was a charming and wonderful lady whose legacy is always with us in the form of her two sons. If this is a competition (I don't mean to be inappropriate), Camilla won the love of the prince, but Diana bore his sons and therefore, the continuation of the institution. Time heals all wounds, and I’m sure she’s resting in peace now.

In reading this thread, I just realized what a strong individual Camilla must be, her existence requires a strong sense of self, which she has demonstrated throughout this whole ordeal, and ten years later. Even under tremendous criticism and vilification, she managed to live her life with such aplomb and such strength of character that I find her admirable.

Last edited:
I think Camilla will keep that stiff upper lip and do what is wanted by William and Harry.

All this talk about Camilla v Diana... After ten years isn't it about time for it to stop. Give it another ten years and there will an entire generation that never saw Diana and will care less.....

Time marches on and people keep putting Diana on a pedistol ...yes she was wonderful person who did good things ..but isn't it about time she is left in peace ..... Do you really think the boys enjoy seeing and hearing about the mud slining over their mother and Camilla.....

AMEN let her rest in peace, her boys are honoring their mother, all this i'm sure is causing them pain and it breaks my heart. hope springs eternal after all this people can close some doors and open a new window. camilla i'm sure will be respectful and dignified and let it roll off her back, good lawd she's been through worse but i'm sure she's distressed because of how this is effecting the boys and the whole purpose of the memorial-to honor diana-not trash her or give her sainthood. i wish people would consider how the boys are feeling, to me they are the only ones i'm going to worry about.
and i'm glad they have a stepmother they "love to bits" i'm glad they can be happy their fathers happy and i'm glad they're going to be uncles with all the joys that can come from that and i'd like to think as someone who loves diana that she is happy too.

Camilla is invited from the Princes William and Harry. And she will attend the memorial service. You can read it on the Prince of Wales website!
The absolutely right decision!
She´s the wife of the Prince of Wales and the stepmother to the two Princes. They all want to have her there. And she will be . I´m sure by the side of her husband and nowhere else.

If this were a private, Spencer family memorial that might be different but as the current wife of the Prince of Wales as well as the stepmother of the princes she should be there. If they were not married I could see a difference but as the wife it would be more of a snub if she did not attend.

Well, if she goes, it won't be horrible horrible, but she shouldn't make a huge deal of herself being there. She should be discreet about it.

Damn. And she'd just had that "LOOK AT ME! I'M CAMILLA AND I'M AT DI-FEST 2007!!" t-shirt printed. Aint life a swine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom