The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
They are honoring her, by having a memorial service for her. It is a church service, but they are having it to honor Diana, her life, and her good works.
No, as I keep saying a memorial service is to remember her and what she meant to the people invited to attend.

Here in the UK you can have a memorial service for a 6 month old baby. You could hardly call that having a service to honour could you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Everything seems quite simple for me - Prince William and Prince Harry have invited their stepmother (whom they 'love to bits'), she agreed to attend the memorial, and she will attend it.
Very well said.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Royal Highness

They are honoring her...and I agree. 10 years on..all would have moved on had she lived.

She did quite a bit of good for the United Kingdom, personal life aside, whether anyone dislikes her or not. That is a fact of life. She changed, not necessarily directly, the Monarchy in some ways for the better and forced change and modernization in areas where it was needed.

Whether you liked or disliked her....that is the truth....

Let the boys honor THEIR mother how they want. Camilla goes...cool...

Old 08-02-2007, 12:00 AM
Gentry

I think Camilla will keep that stiff upper lip and do what is wanted by William and Harry.

All this talk about Camilla v Diana... After ten years isn't it about time for it to stop. Give it another ten years and there will an entire generation that never saw Diana and will care less.....

Time marches on and people keep putting Diana on a pedistol ...yes she was wonderful person who did good things ..but isn't it about time she is left in peace ..... Do you really think the boys enjoy seeing and hearing about the mud slining over their mother and Camilla.....
Old 08-02-2007, 03:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
She did quite a bit of good for the United Kingdom, personal life aside, whether anyone dislikes her or not. That is a fact of life. She changed, not necessarily directly, the Monarchy in some ways for the better and forced change and modernization in areas where it was needed.
That of course is a matter of opinion, not that I can think of one good thing she did for the UK, throughout this board there are divisions. Diana seemed to herald in the 'I'm a victim, pity me, tell all' culture. If she was still alive she would probably have been on Tricia or one of the other trashy tell all programmes.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Courtier

Camilla should attend, will attend, and is attending. She will conduct herself with the utmost respect and dignity. As someone pointed out, she will then go home with her husband.

Charles, Diana and Camilla were victims of their circumstances. Diana loved (I’m not sure she really loved him, which is really ironic) a man who did not love her, and Camilla dared to love a man who loved her back. If anyone is to blame, I think it is the institution. The idea that Diana was helpless and was made to be miserable is immature to say the least. Bitterness and revenge never gets anyone anywhere. At the end of the day, we all have personal responsibilities. Diana did not keep her end of the bargain, she should not have to, but she could have bowed out gracefully, she did not.

I loved Diana in the beginning, only liked her in the end. She was a charming and wonderful lady whose legacy is always with us in the form of her two sons. If this is a competition (I don't mean to be inappropriate), Camilla won the love of the prince, but Diana bore his sons and therefore, the continuation of the institution. Time heals all wounds, and I’m sure she’s resting in peace now.

In reading this thread, I just realized what a strong individual Camilla must be, her existence requires a strong sense of self, which she has demonstrated throughout this whole ordeal, and ten years later. Even under tremendous criticism and vilification, she managed to live her life with such aplomb and such strength of character that I find her admirable.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by contessa View Post
I think Camilla will keep that stiff upper lip and do what is wanted by William and Harry.

All this talk about Camilla v Diana... After ten years isn't it about time for it to stop. Give it another ten years and there will an entire generation that never saw Diana and will care less.....

Time marches on and people keep putting Diana on a pedistol ...yes she was wonderful person who did good things ..but isn't it about time she is left in peace ..... Do you really think the boys enjoy seeing and hearing about the mud slining over their mother and Camilla.....
AMEN let her rest in peace, her boys are honoring their mother, all this i'm sure is causing them pain and it breaks my heart. hope springs eternal after all this people can close some doors and open a new window. camilla i'm sure will be respectful and dignified and let it roll off her back, good lawd she's been through worse but i'm sure she's distressed because of how this is effecting the boys and the whole purpose of the memorial-to honor diana-not trash her or give her sainthood. i wish people would consider how the boys are feeling, to me they are the only ones i'm going to worry about.
and i'm glad they have a stepmother they "love to bits" i'm glad they can be happy their fathers happy and i'm glad they're going to be uncles with all the joys that can come from that and i'd like to think as someone who loves diana that she is happy too.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Aristocracy

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
Camilla is invited from the Princes William and Harry. And she will attend the memorial service. You can read it on the Prince of Wales website!
The absolutely right decision!
Shes the wife of the Prince of Wales and the stepmother to the two Princes. They all want to have her there. And she will be . Im sure by the side of her husband and nowhere else.
If this were a private, Spencer family memorial that might be different but as the current wife of the Prince of Wales as well as the stepmother of the princes she should be there. If they were not married I could see a difference but as the wife it would be more of a snub if she did not attend.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Royal Highness

Well, if she goes, it won't be horrible horrible, but she shouldn't make a huge deal of herself being there. She should be discreet about it.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
she shouldn't make a huge deal of herself being there.
She won't. Outsiders may, but she won't.

Quote:
She should be discreet about it.
She will be.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:05 PM

Damn. And she'd just had that "LOOK AT ME! I'M CAMILLA AND I'M AT DI-FEST 2007!!" t-shirt printed. Aint life a swine.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:09 PM

I don't think it should matter whether or not Camilla attends. Making it matter detracts from the whole event. Either way, whether she goes or she makes an excuse at the last minute to duck out, I just wish no one would ever talk about it again. I couldn't care less if she goes or not because it boils down to a personal decision. I don't know what is appropriate or not; it's just impossible for me to judge, even though I'm sure there are plenty of people who have their own ideas of what is appropriate, and I leave it to them to make that decision! If it's appropriate for her to go I can't say. I guess I just leave it to trusting in those who are personally involved in it to know if it's right. I trust enough in the Princes William and Harry, in Prince Charles, in Camilla to make the decision, and I trust that whatever is their decision about it has a foundation of good reason. If it feels appropriate for them, whatever it is, I feel contented.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Damn. And she'd just had that "LOOK AT ME! I'M CAMILLA AND I'M AT DI-FEST 2007!!" t-shirt printed. Aint life a swine.
Before reading this, I'm glad I had the sense to pop to the loo! Brilliant BeatrixFan and if you are going to the memorial service, I hope you are going to be discreet and not draw attention to yourself. Although, I am not sure you should go, or perhaps you should, mmmmmm
Old 08-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Royal Highness

i think a memorial service is to remember the best of the person being remembered, not all the awful things that happened. if william and harry want camilla there then they should be commended for seeing beyond all the negative things that happened. from the looks of it, these two young men are more mature than a lot of others.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
That of course is a matter of opinion, not that I can think of one good thing she did for the UK, throughout this board there are divisions. Diana seemed to herald in the 'I'm a victim, pity me, tell all' culture. If she was still alive she would probably have been on Tricia or one of the other trashy tell all programmes.
She put a human face on the monarchy. She brought attention to AIDS/HIV patients before Elton and Liz did, She cared passionately and deeply about her charities and bringing attention to those causes. Sorry darling...not opinion...fact..
Old 08-02-2007, 10:56 PM

I'm afraid Princess Anne got there before Di. Sorry darling...not opinion...fact.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well it wasn't as extensive like Diana's work with AIDS/HIV.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

And this all has to do with whether Camilla should be going to the memorial service because...?
Old 08-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Royal Highness

Back on topic, I'm pretty bad, I keep changing my views as I read different sides of the story. On one hand, it would be good for her to go because it shows that she, Charles, and the boys are all mature enough to leave the past as past and move on. But then again, everyone keeps saying "Well, if Diana were alive she would have moved on, that was ten years ago, blah blah blah." Well, Diana died ten years ago, and I don't know if she had moved on and forgiven Camilla or not. If she hadn't, how would she react when they married each other, or at this service? No one knows. She might be fine with it, or it may have infuriated her. But, as someone stated earlier, Diana wasn't on speaking terms with half of the people who are going to be at the service (including pretty much most of the Royal Family). And they'll be there. Diana's also dead, so she can't react! So, Camilla can do what I thought would be best at first, and honor Diana by not going. But you know, if she didn't go, it probably wouldn't really be because of honor Diana, but to save face for herself with the British people and press. If I was in the situation, I would be more concerned about my image with the people who for the most part I haven't always been their favorite person than for honoring someone I truly didn't get along with, even if it were my stepsons' late mother.) Or, which would probably be about as appropriate, she could go, sit with the family, but not draw attention to herself whatsoever. The less attention she gets, the better. I mean, the cameras will be on her, but she definately shouldn't wear that t-shirt that she had printed, no matter how funny it is. The press would have a heyday, and she would probably be Public Enemy #1.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
And this all has to do with whether Camilla should be going to the memorial service because...?
Because it's quite possible that Camilla might be given a compliment or two so we have to ensure we all know how marvellous Diana was in every post to level things up.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Ok, well first off I'll admit that I haven't read the entire thread so apologies if I'm just repeating whats been said a million times before.

My feelings are conflicted:
a) she represents the royal family well these days etc and as such I feel that she has a place at any event which the royal family attends BUT

b) considering how awkward things were back then I would really have to pause to wonder whether Diana would want Camilla at a service dedicated to Diana.

Just my two cents

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, diana's death and funeral, duchess of cornwall, memorial, princess diana, princess of wales