The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'am afraid to say it but sometimes Diana's name and possibly Camilla's is a blessing and a curse for the House of Windsor.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Assuming events take their natural course, William's wife will eventually become the new Princess of Wales and life will go on. Diana's shadow will become less of an issue once Charles becomes King and Camilla is Queen.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Courtier

Scotland Yards are considering charging some people for sending threat letter to warn her to attending the service. The Daily Mail report.

I have no idea about whether this information related to Camilla's decision about pulling out the service or not.I hope that this is the real reason leaving Camilla to decide pulling out the service. I care more about her own safety.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
Assuming events take their natural course, William's wife will eventually become the new Princess of Wales and life will go on. Diana's shadow will become less of an issue once Charles becomes King and Camilla is Queen.
Do you really think so? IMO the only time Diana's shadow will diminish is when Charles and Camilla are no longer with us.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Administrator

You know what I would like to know (but I know we never will)?

Why was Charles so stubborn in his insistence that Camilla attend the memorial? They weren't friends...they had a nasty history...and even if you really don't like Diana, think about this (and I really need everyone to take Camilla/Diana/Charles out of the equation)

You have a friend, who is a divorced man/woman (whose ex has died). One of the reasons (cause there are a couple) you divorced is due to an affair that you had while married. You have since remarried the woman in question. The sons you had with your 1st wife are having a memorial. Do you insist that the 2nd wife attend the memorial?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Nope, not at all.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
She was forced to be styled by a lesser title because the public would not accept a second Princess of Wales, particularly one associated as a former mistress. It's just that simple.
I know that. However, Diana's been dead for a long time now and the 'public' will get used to it, soon enough, once Camilla's style and title changes. There will be some whose attitude will never change, but boo sucks to them, I say!

It is simply wrong that Camilla is denied her due position, and I say this as someone who rather liked Diana and duly valued many of the positive things which she accomplished. In fact, I was and am fond of both Princesses of Wales. I have no time for those who sneer at and pour scorn on either woman: it's always emotional and rarely rational.

If one genuinely supports the institution of monarchy then it is clear that the Prince of Wales' wife must be acknowledged as such. To do other, as has been the case to date, smacks of the medieval to me and is unacceptable. I see no dishonour to Diana in decreeing Camilla as Princess of Wales: if Diana were still alive I could see the difficulty but that's not the case. Charles (and his idiot advisers) should bite the bullet and insist on it and be prepared to defend Camilla's good name when the inevitable criticism hits the front pages. I think that the RF should put Camilla first in this, if only to preserve their own prestige and value. In one sense, they owe their positions to tradition and history and it's foolhardy to deliberately breach their own standards, and in t'other, they need Camilla, in my opinion. In this entire trumped-up farce, she's the only one who's shown any common sense and that she's in touch with reality.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

But Camilla chose to be known as DOC so what really is the point of arguing over it. And the woman will be queen one day.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cde View Post
The Diana Circle's next stated goal is to stop Camilla becoming Queen.the republican press encourages the Diana "fans" in their extreme views. Maybe I am wrong but those two groups have won already and there is no reason to think they aren't going to get bolder, I am afraid it is going to get worse.
Well, you see, my point is that I perceive great troubles for Camilla, but that these troubles do not emanate from 'the Diana Circle' or 'republicans', alone. That is the burden of my song. The overt threats are eminently discountable - it's the covert and to a large extent, unknown prejudices against her attaining and enjoying her due entitlement that bothers me.

Ergo - immediately decree that Camilla is henceforth to be known as The Princess of Wales. It would be a major and profound first step.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cde View Post
IMO it is very disturbing Camilla's decision was finally decided 11th hour. (It doesn't matter what was going on at CH behind the scenes) It looks like the RF will listen and and apparently follow the demands of the The Diana Circle, assorted Diana nutters and the republican press if they make enought noise. This is the second time they have been listened to-The first time - Camilla being DOC and the princess consort title .

The Diana Circle's next stated goal is to stop Camilla becoming Queen.the republican press encourages the Diana "fans" in their extreme views. Maybe I am wrong but those two groups have won already and there is no reason to think they aren't going to get bolder, I am afraid it is going to get worse.
It's a setback for Clarence House, and above all for the public acceptance of "Charles and Camilla". Things seemed to be going well for them, regarding public acceptance at any rate. Maybe this is a lesson they will take to heart: When you stir up the memory of Diana in the public mind, all hell breaks loose. How does the saying go? Let sleeping dogs lie?
I totally agree with the likes of Polly that PW and PH should have made this a private family event, without cameras, without spectacle. But Clarence House wanted to spin it for their own agenda. And they have bitten the bullet for it.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
Two things should happen immediately. First, Camilla should be given her proper, legal title, and second, Sir Michael Peat should be sacked! He should have been sent packing after the embarrassing mess he made of the wedding plans.
You may be right about sacking Sir Peat. However, any changes with the titles right now would be a tactical mistake. Spurred by the recent controversy, ungovernable passions still run high and may have a negatively impact on the future situation.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
You know what I would like to know (but I know we never will)?

Why was Charles so stubborn in his insistence that Camilla attend the memorial? They weren't friends...they had a nasty history...and even if you really don't like Diana, think about this (and I really need everyone to take Camilla/Diana/Charles out of the equation)

You have a friend, who is a divorced man/woman (whose ex has died). One of the reasons (cause there are a couple) you divorced is due to an affair that you had while married. You have since remarried the woman in question. The sons you had with your 1st wife are having a memorial. Do you insist that the 2nd wife attend the memorial?

Oh so true...oh so logical.

But we're dealing with Charles here, bless him. It's all about HIS wants and needs. I don't think its a matter of "support". i.e. that he would be so overcome with emotion at the memorial, that he would need her hand to hold. It's more that he demands that HIS wife, now that he has achieved the monumental task of marrying her, is accorded proper respect and attention due to her as his spouse, regardless of the circumstances. To do this, he was even willing, perhaps not consciously, to put Camilla in an untenable position. Camilla was very astute, accepted the invitation to show that she was willing to go (and probably horrified at the thought!)....and then pulled the plug.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
But Camilla chose to be known as DOC so what really is the point of arguing over it. And the woman will be queen one day.
Exactly. Camilla chose to marry Charles, knowing the baggage she would have to carry, and accepted concessions to the memory of Diana as the price for membership.

If she makes it to the Coronation, she will be Queen, assuming the public doesn't turn on her husband again, which is by no means certain, is it?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
But we're dealing with Charles here, bless him. It's all about HIS wants and needs.
HE will be King. King. Not a stripper, celebrity, TV presenter or drag queen - KING. And that comes with its needs.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Maybe she did, maybe she was told that it was 'wise' while the title itself carried so much emotional baggage. Who knows?

In any event, it's time for Camilla to be afforded the full dignities of her position. It's also past time for her husband to stand for more than an eye to the immediate popularity polls and pay more than lipservice to his wife's value and importance to him. Although I'm a long term fan of Prince Charles', I'm truly glad that I've never been married to him!
Old 08-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Administrator

You know...I understand that Charles wants and demands respect for his wife. She should receive it...she is his wife. But there is a time and place for everything.

Some people aren't going to like this. But you can't compete with a dead person. Even one as flawed as Diana. As long as Charles and Camilla contine with their day to day lives, complete their engagements, support and love each other. They will be fine. When you put Diana in the equation all bets are off.

And really, I think its a bit unfair for the Diana fans (although I will admit there are some who need to really take a step back and relax a little) to take the blame for this for fiasco. From the get go, Camilla attending the memorial was a BAD decision and it only got worse the closer we got to the memorial.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes well, I am sure that he will be a spineless slug of a King, until someone denies him one of his whims at which point he'll have a temper tantrum worthy of a 2 year old who hasn't napped in 18 months, been fed a continuous stream of sugar and isn't getting his way when he's been used to it since day one.

Pity, since he does seem to do some good things... They are just all over shadowed by his self serving, self pitying, me me me attitude.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

I feel very sorry for Camilla because her husband has put her into a bad situation which she tried to avoid. My perception of Camilla has softened a little bit. For the first time I question Charles' ability to be king after his actions during this event. I like Charles but as a man I don't respect him.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Exactly. Camilla chose to marry Charles, knowing the baggage she would have to carry, and accepted concessions to the memory of Diana as the price for membership.

If she makes it to the Coronation, she will be Queen, assuming the public doesn't turn on her husband again, which is by no means certain, is it?
This is probably off topic...but I think Charles insisted on getting married. Camilla woudl have been fine with the way things were. She had all the perks and none of the baggage.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Charles is the one who has to worry, not Camilla. At the end of the day, he still has to cross his fingers the public will accept him as King with Camilla crowned by his side.

If not, then it will be 1936 all over again.....Abdication in favor of William.

Tags
camilla, diana's death and funeral, duchess of cornwall, memorial, princess diana, princess of wales