The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Burrell's furious phone calls as he is banned from Diana memorial service | the Daily Mail

Paul Burrell made angry phone calls to royal officials after being banned from Diana's memorial service, it was revealed today.

The former butler demanded to be given an explanation in two heated exchanges with aides at Prince Charles's office Clarence House. But it was made plain to him that he "was not wanted and the decision stood".

Old 08-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Burrell's furious phone calls as he is banned from Diana memorial service | the Daily Mail

Paul Burrell made angry phone calls to royal officials after being banned from Diana's memorial service, it was revealed today.

The former butler demanded to be given an explanation in two heated exchanges with aides at Prince Charles's office Clarence House. But it was made plain to him that he "was not wanted and the decision stood".
Do you think we can trust the Daily Mail, Skydragon ?

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 08-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Courtier

the Burrual article has not been found,it displayed. It's funny.I guess they have deleted the article for their respects to Diana, Princess of Wales.

Could Saint Diana yet destroy the monarchy?
Could Saint Diana yet destroy the monarchy? | the Daily Mail

No sure about the result of mori poll. But I don't see a bright future for the monarchy either.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Serene Highness

i thought this quote from the good timesonline article describes the mood leading up to this memorial. imho people have been using it to make $$$$$$ and cause trouble for the RF and a chance to knife camilla and smear a dead princess. (one thing for sure i'll bet camilla stands her ground more firmly and loudly over the advisors from now on)
imo it's not diana's fault SHES DEAD its not her sons fault, they love her and wanted to remember her, its not QEII fault, i'm sure she wanted to support her grandsons, its not camillas fault, lawd bless her she was danged if she did, and danged if she didn't. i lay it at the feet of clarence house and have from the beginning wondered if the princes "advisors" really have the duchess best interest in mind.
my hearts really sad that the Queens loyalists posters are so upset since i don't live in the UK and have no way of judging the mood of the country if their reaction is a reflection i worry about the monarchy. as i asked 30 pages ago "is it over yet" (the memorial not the monarchy)

After Diana, the explosion of vileness | Libby Purves - Times Online
*quote from article
*What happened that week was a form of mob violence, a magnified warping of sentiments that started out as genuine and kindly. It was done for pleasure: the pleasure of taunting the Windsors, and a sicklier pleasure too.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Libby Purves has always been a sensible commentator. I think this article deserves to be taken seriously, unlike some of the rubbish coming out of the Daily Mail.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:53 AM

I remember how disgusted I was at how the media bullied the royal family into going down to London to "show they cared". The whole thing was more than misguided. It was sick. This point was expressed well in the movie The Queen when Helen Mirren retorted against the PM's suggestion of "helping the people with their grief," saying: "Their grief?!" Honestly!
Old 08-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Well, he could spent that day in Paris - maybe on lunching or having dinner at the Ritz. Why insist to be invited to a service where he is not wanted by the family?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Serene Highness

{deleted for consistency - Elspeth}

Quote:
Two motherless young men, I suppose you could call them that.
You suppose you can call them that?

Quote:
but probably not when they are out getting blind drunk or partying till the small hours. Then the tune seems to change..
Not by me. Having lost my father as a teenager they will always have my utmost empathy.

Quote:
We don't flay people in this country anymore, but a great many of the British people are puzzled as to why they are holding a memorial at all.
Then they should turn down their invitations to attend when they arrive if it so wholly concerns them.

Quote:
This is Diana's legacy, people doing just the thing you have accused them of, fighting, backbiting, name calling and this above all is what will be remembered about this ill advised service.
This is not Diana's legacy. Apparently I have to repeat the obvious statement that Diana is dead and had no opportunity to have an active hand in any it. Its the legacy of the people who were involved in the planning and participation of the event. The legacy of the people who used it for promoting their own agendas or to settle old scores. The legacy of the people who either rail against her very existence or wage a holy crusade in her name. Not Diana's.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Well, he could spent that day in Paris - maybe on lunching or having dinner at the Ritz. Why insist to be invited to a service where he is not wanted by the family?
I suspect he is pushing his way because that seems to be what he does. He can be expected to try pushing his way until the last possible moment. I doubt that he will get his way, but if he doesn't I think we might see more articles after the memorial service is all said and done, complaining about his exclusion. He will probably enact some twisted act of revenge by pulling out another dirty secret from the moth balls (or his imagination).
Old 08-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am new, so I hope I don't offend anyone, but aside from the acrimony and the sanctimony, what I read here is getting quite overboard. We have someone calling people nutters ( I assume as quaint English term for crazy), because their stance is opposite of theirs. The same person now, is scraming about the fall of the British Monarchy. Who's the "nutter"? This is the 10th anniversary of the Princes' Mother's death. I, and I could be wrong, think the princes wanted to honor their mother, in a way they couldn't at her death, because they were so young. Their father who is always more concerned with himself than anyone else, requested that their step-mother be invited. Thus it came to pass. Their step mother, whom I believe from the outset, knew the problems that would emanate from her appearance, tried to politley not be there. She is a sensible woman. Camilla is a shrewd and calculating person. She has gotten to this position in that manner. She does not want to have to face public discomfort. Her husband doesn't seem to care, as long as he gets his way. The whole thing is blown out of proportion. Those screaming she shouldn't be there and those who feel she has all the rights her station allows. She and Diana were not friends, to say the least. Many, right or wrong hold her culpable for the mess that ensued. It is a few hours of one day. If nothing were said in the inception, this would have all just gone away. For those who feel so angry at "St. Diana", but see poor St. Camilla defamed, I feel sorry for all. Camilla is smart, she knew it would be better to be Duchess of Cornwall than a second run Princess of Wales, with all the baggage that involved. Now, instead of quietly being able to read a book on Friday, her miserable looking face is beeing splashed all over your newspapers, juxtaposed to a young, beautiful, dead Diana. A very wise man once taught me, the less you make of something, the quicker it will go away. How sad for all that this incident had to occur, CH knew the rancor it would create and yet it stepped right into it.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Their father who is always more concerned with himself than anyone else, requested that their step-mother be invited. She is a sensible woman. Camilla is a shrewd and calculating person. She has gotten to this position in that manner. .
I can accept your reasons for Camilla not attending the service but I don't agree with you about the judgment of Camilla's character.Not even a proper royal biography really Knows Camilla well enough to make such a judgment.All they have are the pieces of information from their sources but rarely Camilla's side sources. It's not about Camilla's camp but it is about lacking reliable evidence in hand to make such judgements.I hope that you can see my point and you can keep you opinion about Camilla.

I don't believe that Camilla is a calculating woman because the Queen and Prince William and Prince Harry accpeted Camilla's importance in Charles's life long time ago. The Queen allowed Charles to marry Camilla,gave her HRH,loaned her heirloom jellerys and I believe that the Queen chose to accept Camilla exactly because she was never a calculating woman. Charles is not that stuipid to let himself being calculated for 35 years without being doubted her motives.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I am new, so I hope I don't offend anyone, but aside from the acrimony and the sanctimony, what I read here is getting quite overboard. We have someone calling people nutters ( I assume as quaint English term for crazy), because their stance is opposite of theirs. The same person now, is scraming about the fall of the British Monarchy. Who's the "nutter"?
It's not a case of agreeing or disagreeing, it's a case of a fringe of people who never knew someone, putting permanent obstacles in the way of Charles and Camilla in the name of that person. And that to me denotes a nutter and someone who is one sandwich off of a full picnic. I'm not screaming about the fall of the British monarchy, anyone who knows me will tell you I don't scream about anything. I just know what this denotes, I see the way the wind is blowing and that leads me to deduce that the monarchy has served it's purpose.

Quote:
This is the 10th anniversary of the Princes' Mother's death. I, and I could be wrong, think the princes wanted to honor their mother, in a way they couldn't at her death, because they were so young.
And don't we know it. They had a concert. What they've now done is turned this into Distock 2007 and it's getting not only very boring and irritating, but dangerous for the Royal Family. William and Harry are not children anymore and should have learned by now that you never bite the hand that feeds you, which is ultimately what they've both done. They organised this service in full knowledge that it would put the Duchess of Cornwall in an awful position. And who stood up for the Duchess? Nobody. I'm all for mourning but the British have never gone in for memorial services like this and the way the boys are carrying on, anyone would think this was Belgium (no offence, I quite like Belgium). We simply don't do annual memorial services and perhaps now we see why we shouldn't.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_cc View Post
the Burrual article has not been found,it displayed. her.
It seems to be working OK, but here it is again

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
You suppose you can call them that?
A lot of young men of their age lose parents and I would think the majority would think it rather strange to hear themselves described in such 'emotive' terms.
Quote:
Then they should turn down their invitations to attend when they arrive if it so wholly concerns them.
As I am sure you realise, I was talking about the general public when I said, that most people are puzzled as to why they are holding a memorial at all, (some of whom will also have lost parents).
Quote:
This is not Diana's legacy. Apparently I have to repeat the obvious statement that Diana is dead and had no opportunity to have an active hand in any it..
When most people talk about Diana, very few away from this forum, talk about any good works she may have done. They talk about the Morton book, the Panorama interview, the boyfriends/lovers, the holiday, the crash, the accusations she apparently made against Charles, the latest book or article with even more details. When people talk about this memorial, they will talk about the row it caused within the UK as to whether or not Camilla should attend. Whether you like/accept it or not Diana's legacy is division. A legacy is what you leave behind.

That was the reason for the concert, after all the revelations and the negative publicity in books and the media, to try to remind people what Diana was about.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Aristocracy

Camilla has decided not to go. I was glad that the boys invited her. In my opinion,Camilla has tried very hard not to run roughshod over Diana's memory.I agree with her decision not to go,so the press will leave her alone,just for a little while.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
That was the reason for the concert, after all the revelations and the negative publicity in books and the media, to try to remind people what Diana was about.
And hasn't this memorial service reminded us what she was really about? It proves you totally right Skydragon. She was someone who brought division and damage to the Royal Family.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Nobility

Camilla is getting miles of column inches due to her sudden withdrawal of her presence at the memorial. She has become the story and knocks off most of the Diana tributes off the radar (for today at least). If we had just ignored Camilla and all the fuss, Diana would have been top billing today in royal news. What will be remembered about this memorial service long after the last prayer is said is how Camilla "almost" attended.... To usurp power of personalities is to not feed the press animal...
Old 08-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Royal Highness

BBC America will have coverage of the memorial. I checked their schedule and they have cleared 6 AM till 9 AM for the coverage and news.

Even after 10 years...there will always be a sense of "damned if you do, damned if you don't".

Camilla realized exactly what she would be taking once she married Prince Charles. It is one thing to be a mistress to, and quite another to be elevated to an HRH...everything that comes with it, you have to swallow.

Now, that said. While they have married and moved on, it will always be a sticky case of this was one person who helped to derail the marriage, just like Charles, Diana, James Gilbey, James Hewitt, Lady Tryon, Janet Jenkins, etc.

ALL these people knew what would happen once they entered the beds of Charles and Diana after they were married. So the blame is on all of them including Charles and Diana.

She is dead. These boys did NOT foolishly choose to have a memorial because they were ill-advised, etc. They wanted to honor their mother, who was taken from them at young ages for both, in their own way. There is nothing wrong with that, or how they wanted to do it.

Whether you want to admit it or not, Beatrixfan or Skydragon, (and I respect all your postings on here by the way) Diana made a tremendous impact on your Royal Family, good, bad, or indifferent, and as someone pointed out earlier, had the Royal Family not done what they did to face the challenges during 1914 through 1917, you might not have a Royal Family at all today.

The media, in all forms, is here to stay and one must adapt to that. Perception is EVERYTHING in today's world and it looks like HM is the only who has, and still is able to, retain the aura of mystery around her.

Charles, who moans about his lack of affection from his childhood, and his desire to be his own man, should learn when to listen and understand. The hardest decisions we make in life may not be the ones we want to do. It was ridiculous of him to insist she attend. Her Royal Highness should have been left alone to make her own decision and not feel "forced" by anyone to go or stay.

<Sigh>...thank goodness I am not related to this family.

I am curious if 10 year on memorials are planned for Mother Teresa and Sir George Solti, both who died in and around the same time, and made lasting contribtutions to the poor and sick and to the world of music respectively.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Serene Highness

Excellent post Lady Marmalade. Quite right.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
And hasn't this memorial service reminded us what she was really about? It proves you totally right Skydragon. She was someone who brought division and damage to the Royal Family.
Now that is a matter up for debate the Princess of Wales may have caused some damage to the monarchy but she wasn't the only one. She also did some good for the monarchy.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
Whether you want to admit it or not, Beatrixfan or Skydragon, (and I respect all your postings on here by the way) Diana made a tremendous impact on your Royal Family, good, bad, or indifferent
On this we can agree!

Nothing planned for Sir George as far as I know.

Tags
camilla, diana's death and funeral, duchess of cornwall, memorial, princess diana, princess of wales