The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
They'd have had no need to manage it if it was never allowed to happen in the first place. Those boys are responsible and didn't I always say they'd cause trouble?
.lol...Possibly so

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-28-2007, 12:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Final thoughts...

As acknowledged, advisors of the Clarence House bear a certain degree of the responsibility for recent tensions in and embarrassment of the British Royal family. In my opinion, the advisors should visit Japan and share the professional experience with as well as benchmark best practices of the Imperial Household Agency as the latter manages the life of the Japanese Royal Family in an effective fashion and allows less blunders. :study:

Old 08-28-2007, 12:58 AM

Indeed. The Imperial Household Agency much prefers the Imperial Family to bleed to death through stress rather than blunder.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:08 AM
Royal Highness

Camilla īs not to blame for Dianaīs death

(...) Yet blame should not be attached to her: she would have gone because her husband has asked her to, as had her stepsons, Dianaīs children. She would have been there to support her family, not as a calculated snub to a public who feel that they, rather than her kin, are the true custodians of Dianaīs memory.

Camilla's not to blame for Diana's death - Telegraph
Prince Charles in a speech, 6th December 2006
Old 08-28-2007, 04:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I Her current humble “the Duchess of Cornwall” title will be viewed an irrelevant variable.
There are historians who believe the Duke of Cornwall-title to be higher than the Prince of Wales-title. They argue that The Duke of Cornwall always is the eldest son of the souverain while the Prince of Wales is the next in line. Under certain circumstances a grandson of the souverain can be the Prince of Wales (if his father died before his grandfather), but he can't be Duke of Cornwall.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

{personal comment deleted - Elspeth}

Quote:
What's at the center? Two motherless young men who were trying to give their mother an officially recognized memorial as opposed to a private one. What is certain is that somewhere down the road they would have been flayed alive by members of the public if they had done nothing. It made me a little sick to read that some were actually blaming Diana for this debacle, or calling the ensuing brew ha ha her "legacy". .
Two motherless young men, I suppose you could call them that, but probably not when they are out getting blind drunk or partying till the small hours. Then the tune seems to change. We don't flay people in this country anymore, but a great many of the British people are puzzled as to why they are holding a memorial at all.

This is Diana's legacy, people doing just the thing you have accused them of, fighting, backbiting, name calling and this above all is what will be remembered about this ill advised service.
Quote:
But the Queen's ex-Press Secretary Dickie Arbiter
Ex being the operative word, he knows about as much as an ex does
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
I have read many accounts of Camilla taking Diana aside before the wedding and trying to glean info from her regarding her plans to hunt after the wedding, etc in order to see if she would still have HRH to herself during those times.....In Tina Brown's recent book.....
How many of the accounts were from the person concerned, oh that's right......none!
Old 08-28-2007, 05:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarela View Post
The queen did not attend Camilla's birthday party at Highgrove - the Gloucestershire home the duchess shares with husband Prince Charles - on Saturday night (21.07.07), as it would have meant the 'low-key' event would have had to have been much more formal.
Right and what is wrong with that. It doesn't say the queen didn't want to go because....., merely that it would have put a damper on it for everyone else there. She apparently loves her granddaughter, but she also didn't attend that party!
Quote:
I read in a British magazine last week where an intimate of Camilla's said she was "dreading" attending this event...since some Diana supporters had threatened to pelt her with raw eggs outside the Guards Chapel.
Everyone who has ever followed Camilla knows that none of Camillas friends speak to the media. I just wonder how the 'Diana supporters' think they are going to get close enough, unsearched and unvetted, to any of the guests?
Quote:
Sure Diana smuggled lovers into the Royal residences...AFTER her husband ceased to sleep with her
this article states that Diana was the first to have an affair, with her protection officer, he lost his job over it!Prince Charles's aides plotted against Diana - Telegraph
Old 08-28-2007, 05:16 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Is this really such a mess in the first place? Personally I think that PR-wise it isnīt too bad. The DoC first showed her good relationship with her stephsons by receiving the invitation and accepting it. After that she showed understanding for the public by cancelling her attendance. Isnīt that what the tabloids were screaming for 10 years ago when they used the flag-incident to say that the RF didnīt care the least for the British public? So I actually donīt understand the present fuss. It seems Camilla would be damned if she did and damned if she didnīt.

Another thing that escapes me is why people still get this hot blooded over somebody elseīs marriage that sadly ended in a divorce, like that of around 40% of the British. Diana and Charles marriage didnīt fail IMHO because of the extra marital affairs. The extra marital affairs were a result of a marriage that didnīt work out the way they hoped and already failed in the first place. Obviously the two were not suited for each other, which resulted in both of them seeking refuge elsewhere.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Great articles, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
They'd have had no need to manage it if it was never allowed to happen in the first place. Those boys are responsible and didn't I always say they'd cause trouble?
And not for the first time, I have to concede you were RIGHT!

This is also from the Dirty Mail, amazing how all these people at Birkhall have been quick to get on the phone, a 'source close' to Camilla is another one.... I wonder whether they are talking about Heinz or Duchy Originals!

Charles and Camilla's furious row over Diana memorial service | the Daily Mail
Old 08-28-2007, 06:27 AM
Gentry

Your Royal Highness Duchess of Cornwall please do attend the memorial. You have every right to it.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Just one point (yes another one ) Charles never said he wanted to come back as Camillas tampon, he actually said - Or, God forbid, a Tampax. Just my luck!
Oh dear god, not the Tampax again!
Memory serves up an SNL episode with Dana Carvey playing Prince Charles and shrinking himself to the size of a flying tampon! Tacky tacky tacky!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, the Clarence House no longer keeps mum. Here is the official statement from the Duchess of Cornwall, posted at the PoW website.
Quote:
Statement from HRH The Duchess of Cornwall: "I am very touched to have been invited by Prince William and Prince Harry to attend the Thanksgiving Service for their mother, Diana, Princess of Wales. I accepted and wanted to support them.
"However, on reflection, I believe my attendance could divert attention from the purpose of the occasion, which is to focus on the life and service of Diana.
"I am grateful to my husband, William and Harry for supporting my decision."
No changes in the Diary section though, Camilla is still listed to attend the service.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:25 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Great articles, thank you.

And not for the first time, I have to concede you were RIGHT!
Why accuse the princes of something? I think it is clear they like their stephmother and thus wanted her to be there. What if they hadnīt invited the DoC btw, the press would be screaming that they nevber forgave the Duchess for... etc etc. As I said above, there was no way this could have gone smoothly but the present strategy of Clarence House seemed to be the most sensible one.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

What is wonderful to note, is that having just looked through the Radio Times (a UK TV programmes magazine), there are NO Diana tributes or anything else like that after the showing of the comedy 'The Queen' on Sunday!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Why accuse the princes of something? .
Who arranged this service, 10 years after she was dead and buried? Memorials, if they are held at all, are held within a few months. Therefore the Princes in their stupidity are to blame, closely followed by Ch & BP for encouraging Camilla to listen to the press hounds and the simple souls who still support a woman who has been dead for 10 years!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:48 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
No changes in th Diary section though, Camilla is still listed to attend the service.
Either the websites' admin is not on top of things or this is just a big joke. But it just fits into the picture - no deeper reflection about the whole issue and no attention to detail to boot. Very amateurish.

This is the worst example of ivory tower mentality I can recall in recent years from a monarchy. And looking at William and his way handling his relationship? with Kate, I can only say like father like son.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
I have an example to show people that Camilla could have attend if people had got more interest in her life.

At the wedding of Charles and Camilla, who was there ? Andrew Parker Bowles, ex husband of Camilla. I mean, inviting her ex husband to this occasion could have been seen as 'inappropriate' too.

Another thing, for myself I would have encouraged Camilla to go because not attending could have been noticed as unrespectful toward Diana, to not attend a service that honours someones life and work, i.e. don't give a damn of what she has done in her short life. Honestly, I don't understand why those fanatics think otherwise. This memorial is an honour made to her, and I believe that the more people are there to pay her respect, the better. Even if Camilla hurted Diana in her personal life, who says she didn't admire her in what she has done for charities ? Maybe Camilla wanted to go there for that and say : Look, we weren't in good terms but I still respect her for all the things she did to help people !

I think people jump on the Camilla-Charles-Diana triangle and didn't think of other possibilities.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 08-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Heir Apparent

I do not think that inviting the ex husband is inappropriate in the least. IF the two exes are on good terms with each other then there is no reason that they should not share in each others happiness. Especially when they share children. The case is simply not the same. Camilla and Diana, whether they hated each other or not, were in any case not on good terms with each other at the time of Dianas death.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Heir Apparent

what an enormous debate was created over such a small detail! okay, we all know what happened between the british trio, but if the people, press, royal family kept the matter low-profiled and kept quiet about it, none of this would have happened. it's not the easiest of the situations, but i think everyone has made it more difficult even. i believe camilla showed what a lady she is by writing that letter and following the queen's decision on her not attending the ceremony, even though the princes asked her to.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
I do not think that inviting the ex husband is inappropriate in the least. IF the two exes are on good terms with each other then there is no reason that they should not share in each others happiness. Especially when they share children. The case is simply not the same. Camilla and Diana, whether they hated each other or not, were in any case not on good terms with each other at the time of Dianas death.
Okay that's different but she was an invited person like any other to honour someones life like I said in my previous post. Nobody can tell that Camilla doesn't respect at all Diana's achivements in life.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, diana's death and funeral, duchess of cornwall, memorial, princess diana, princess of wales