The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I vote NO

This memorial is for people who loved and cared for Diana, and who Diana loved and cared for. Camilla Parker Bowles fits neither category.

I think it is appalling that the Duchess of York won't be there(she was invited but feels unwelcome) and Camilla MAY??! Fergie and Diana had their ups and downs but Fergie grieved for Diana and loved her deeply. What a topsy turvy world where she is unwelcome but Camilla is!

Camilla has ended up with everything, Diana's husband, her homes, her jewelry her LIFE. She should be satisfied with that and out of respect for the Spencer family and to Diana's memory stay the hell away from that service, IMO.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
In one interview The Princess of Wales said: "There were three of us in this marriage"
That was said by an angry woman, to bring sympathy to herself after admitting she also had an affair. She wanted to put all of the blame of the breakup on anyone but herself, a normal reaction, IMO. It is the same line as 'my wife doesn't understand me'.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
Camilla has ended up with everything, Diana's husband, her homes, her jewelry her LIFE. She should be satisfied with that and out of respect for the Spencer family and to Diana's memory stay the hell away from that service, IMO.
1. Nobody owns another person.
2. The homes were never Diana's, they were owned by the Crown Estates or the Duchy.
3. Camilla does not, afawk, have any of Dianas personal jewelry, that was left to her sons. The bits and pieces we have seen Camilla with have been loaned to her by her mother in law.
4. You seem to have missed the news, Camilla is not going to the service.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
This memorial is for people who loved and cared for Diana, and who Diana loved and cared for. Camilla Parker Bowles fits neither category.

I think it is appalling that the Duchess of York won't be there(she was invited but feels unwelcome) and Camilla MAY??! Fergie and Diana had their ups and downs but Fergie grieved for Diana and loved her deeply. What a topsy turvy world where she is unwelcome but Camilla is!

Camilla has never been to the Princess' apartments in Kensington Palace.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post

Prince Charles's wife emerges from Diana's shadow | Lifestyle | Living | Reuters

Just one point (yes another one ) Charles never said he wanted to come back as Camillas tampon, he actually said - Or, God forbid, a Tampax. Just my luck!
thanks for the article, Skydragon. You know what happened, I woke up in the morning and realised one thing: Diana has died for 10 years and Camilla is still alive. All these Diana fans can be emotional for 1 week or more then life will move on. I am quite upset by the decision of pulling out the event exactly because I was touched by Prince William and Prince Harry's gestures to invite Camilla and want a new beginning. But since some Diana fans don't Camilla there and they want to keep the hostility in the past,fine, Camilla won't spoil their day and then all the attentions on Camilla won't cause her nerves in that day either. All my wish is that the day finish soon and we will surround by such emotional feelings.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Serene Highness

I've been holding out expressing my opinion on this subject because I wasn't even sure what my opinion was. Still not sure. I like Diana and Camilla equally so its not like I had a side to be on. But I think that Camilla deciding not to go is probably best. Even though I think it is strange for the POW to attend a service like this without his wife by his side, seeing as how Diana would have disliked her presence there, it seems appropriate that Camilla doesn't go. Although it was very generous for the boys to invite her, even if they like her, knowing how much their mother didn't.
Since I've been reading the posts on this topic, I got to wondering how things would be between Diana and Camilla if Diana were still alive. I would hope that Diana would have moved past the hatred for Camilla, seeing as I it wasn't ever appropriate to blame everything on Camilla. I would hope that they could have been cordial to one another. Thats why I part of me thought that maybe somewhere in heaven, Diana has moved past it and would see Camilla's presence at her memorial as an act of kindness & respect, instead of disrespect. But we'll never know.
At least it will all be over in a few days and we can put this great debate behind us.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Serene Highness

I applaud Camilla for doing, what I think is, the right thing. She has shown amazing dignity and discretion over many years so I am not too surprised. I think it was a kind invitation on the part of the young Princes but I also think she responded appropriately. I hope the service is meaningful to those who want to honor Diana's memory.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Serene Highness

What complete nonsense this whole event has tumbled into. Weeks and weeks of insults, name-calling and back biting. Cries of indignation towards rabid Diana fans by just as equally rabid Camilla fans. In the end, no one is going to be happy. If she goes, people will be upset. If she doesn't, people will be upset. What was that about not being able to please everyone all the time?

What's at the center? Two motherless young men who were trying to give their mother an officially recognized memorial as opposed to a private one. Maybe in compensation for the loss of her official status, maybe not. Who knows. What is certain is that somewhere down the road they would have been flayed alive by members of the public if they had done nothing. It made me a little sick to read that some were actually blaming Diana for this debacle, or calling the ensuing brew ha ha her "legacy". She's dead. You might as well blame her for that travesty of a memorial fountain because she liked to jog in the park. Or blame Camilla for being put in between a rock and a hard place by her husband who would have her at his side whether she liked it or not.

What is genuinely sad? The fact that the thread regarding Camilla's attendance is twice as long as the thread concerning the memorial itself.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
What complete nonsense this whole event has tumbled into. Weeks and weeks of insults, name-calling and back biting. Cries of indignation towards rabid Diana fans by just as equally rabid Camilla fans. In the end, no one is going to be happy. If she goes, people will be upset. If she doesn't, people will be upset. What was that about not being able to please everyone all the time?

What's at the center? Two motherless young men who were trying to give their mother an officially recognized memorial as opposed to a private one. Maybe in compensation for the loss of her official status, maybe not. Who knows. What is certain is that somewhere down the road they would have been flayed alive by members of the public if they had done nothing. It made me a little sick to read that some were actually blaming Diana for this debacle, or calling the ensuing brew ha ha her "legacy". She's dead. You might as well blame her for that travesty of a memorial fountain because she liked to jog in the park. Or blame Camilla for being put in between a rock and a hard place by her husband who would have her at his side whether she liked it or not.

What is genuinely sad? The fact that the thread regarding Camilla's attendance is twice as long as the thread concerning the memorial itself.
Excellent post, Kimebear. No one will ever pleased no matter which outcome happened, if she went, stayed home.

If Charles had married another woman...then obviously she would go to the memorial on Friday with not a whisper. But because it is Camilla....the stew pot boileth over....

This will always happen....from now on, no matter we all bicker about and whose side we take, Camilla will be damned in some sort of way, big or small, for whatever side of any issue she takes, or any event she goes or does not go to.

What happened in the past is so permanently etched in so many minds that we cannot get past it...10 years on. Who knows what will happen down the road?

But...Camilla did choose to marry the Prince of Wales, after everything that happened. She chose to become an HRH and therefore her role in life changed forever. She is now royalty, she is now a public figure, she is now expected to perform her royal duties. She is expected to give up her freedom and become one the Royals.

I think she knew what she was getting herself into...

Uneasy lies the head that (will) wear the Crown....

Altered change of Shakespeare quote...
Old 08-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Courtier

From London's Mirror newspaper:

But the Queen's ex-Press Secretary Dickie Arbiter said the last minute announcement was a PR blunder - and insisted Camilla should never have agreed to attend.
He added: "It could have quite simply been done right at the very beginning when the idea was first mooted - with a short statement saying she would love to support her husband, would love to support William and Harry, but felt it was inappropriate to attend.
"It would have been done and dusted without all this shilly-shallying all the way up to the memorial service, which is literally five days away."
Senior royal aides were insistent the Queen's role had been "advisory". One courtier said: "It was not a question of Her Majesty stopping Camilla from attending, but asking the question if it was wise. Clarence House had not thought the issue through so Buckingham Palace picked up the ball."
Old 08-27-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
In one interview The Princess of Wales said: "There were three of us in this marriage"
This is an exploited excerpt from a long interview during which a lot was said. If only other words from the same interview were exploited in this way, people might find that Diana (for I'm presuming you mean the former Princess of Wales) expressed some rather remarkably forgiving sentiments. But I guess I am the only person who noticed......
Old 08-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha

Interesting, isn't it, how there were actually four or more people in the marriage when you look at it factually. Charles, Diana, Camilla, and James Hewitt, etc.... it appears to me that Diana was overlooking her own affairs. To say "there were three" is really not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarela
mmm... didnt you heard the "excuse" the Queen gave for not being present in Camillas birthday ?

No, I have not heard of any excuse for that. In fact, I've not seen or heard anything that would make me think that the Queen "has it in" for her daughter-in-law. If that were the case, then Camilla would not be wearing items such as the Deli Durbar tiara, the Boucheron Honeycomb Tiara, assorted brooches, earrings, necklaces, and other items of historic importance to the Royal Family. In all actuality, the Queen has been more generous with Camilla than she was with Diana--that's not necessarily fair, but it is true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin

Last time I checked the Spencers had not had Camilla and Charles around for tea yet. Also, Camilla has no real obligation to the Spencer family--only to the children of Diana. Also, Camilla does not have any of Diana's jewellery. NONE. She has pieces Charles has purchased for her, and many beautiful pieces which the Queen has loaned to her .She also has her own jewellery which she brought into the marriage. Also, if Diana had really wanted to keep her husband then she would have gone about things in a much different manner. Camilla does not own Diana's homes, and certaintly does not have Diana's life. Camilla is not one for all the glitz and glamour that became Diana's life. Camilla is a quieter person--the life she has is one that consists of truly supporting her husband and family. To that end, her decision to attend the memorial service was the right one, but it was changed. I think she should go. She's a strong person.

Now, HERE WE GO AGAIN. Diana vs. Camilla, Camilla vs. Diana. There is no longer a competition. It ended back in 1996. Two different women with different strenghths and weaknesses. If William and Harry are able to honor and respect both of them, then I think we certaintly can as well--they were/are both remarkable women

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 08-27-2007, 06:03 PM

Another less quoted, in fact much forgotten quote from that interview is:
"I wish that my husband will find peace of mind, and from that, other things will follow."
Old 08-27-2007, 06:03 PM
Royal Highness

By the way, Kimebear and Lady Marmalade--excellent posts.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 08-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Serene Highness

Well for once the spoiled prince of wales didn't get his way but it's probably for his own good for if she had gone I don't think her image would ever have recovered from how bad it would have looked in the eyes of most people around the world. The Queen could see it as well and I think she thought that her standing would also have been damaged as it would have looked like she was backing something which was very unpopular among many of her subjects.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
1. Nobody owns another person.
2. The homes were never Diana's, they were owned by the Crown Estates or the Duchy.
3. Camilla does not, afawk, have any of Dianas personal jewelry, that was left to her sons. The bits and pieces we have seen Camilla with have been loaned to her by her mother in law.
4. You seem to have missed the news, Camilla is not going to the service.

Good that she's not going. She doesn't belong there.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinacg View Post
At least it will all be over in a few days and we can put this great debate behind us.
Halleujah to that
Let's hope that after all the months of fuss and carry on, it is all worth it.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
From London's Mirror newspaper:

But the Queen's ex-Press Secretary Dickie Arbiter said the last minute announcement was a PR blunder - and insisted Camilla should never have agreed to attend.

He added: "It could have quite simply been done right at the very beginning when the idea was first mooted - with a short statement saying she would love to support her husband, would love to support William and Harry, but felt it was inappropriate to attend.

"It would have been done and dusted without all this shilly-shallying all the way up to the memorial service, which is literally five days away."

Senior royal aides were insistent the Queen's role had been "advisory". One courtier said: "It was not a question of Her Majesty stopping Camilla from attending, but asking the question if it was wise. Clarence House had not thought the issue through so Buckingham Palace picked up the ball."

Thank goodness for Her Majesty...LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!
Old 08-27-2007, 06:31 PM

If the Queen really did stop Camilla from going then she's lost all respect she once had from me and I'll be glad to see her replaced with an elected Head of State. However, I don't believe this is true at all and I'll reserve my venom for Her Majesty until it's confirmed.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Camilla has never been to the Princess' apartments in Kensington Palace.

????? Thank goodness for small favors, I guess!!

Tags
camilla, diana's death and funeral, duchess of cornwall, memorial, princess diana, princess of wales