The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 11:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

they are just two polite young men who are doing what they should do and that is invite her. They will keep their feelings to themselves.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
He is in the army, his leave is limited and I am sure Camilla would have been the first to say, get your holiday with your girlfriend.

Harry wasn't towing the party line, when he told Sky and the beeb that they thought Camilla was wonderful. The questions had already been seen and approved and if Harry hadn't wanted to say anything like that, he wouldn't have approved the question that led to it.

As with most people, IWT, I have missed many birthday/anniversary parties because they clashed with my husbands leave and we were going away. Perhaps I should be upset that my son missed my birthday party because he was on leave from Afghanistan and went on holiday with his wife and my grandchildren!
Harry has already seen his girlfriend quite a bit this month, starting with the Concert for Diana appearance. It wouldn't matter what the questions said, I believe he is pleasing his father, not the media. It was made very clear that this was a big milestone party for Camilla, not just another birthday. These boys think nothing of flying halfway around the world for a weekend, he could have made the attempt if he wanted to. Let's face it, Harry is not on leave from serving in a war zone. He gets to see his friends and family quite frequently. I give him a lot of credit for fighting to be able to join his comrades as hard as he did, but he is not there and his leave cannot be compared to someone who is.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I suggest you take that up with post 70.

It's rude no matter who says it.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
It was made very clear that this was a big milestone party for Camilla, not just another birthday.
It was a small birthday party, not a huge 'milestone party. The BIG celebration was for her 50th. Charles and Camilla will, IMO, have been like any loving parents and told him to take his holiday with the love of his life, who they were unable to invite.

When we went away, Mr S hadn't just returned from a war zone either, it was when he was able to take leave. Nobody knows when Harry might be sent to a war zone, just because he didn't go to Iraq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
It's rude no matter who says it.
Why, if I choose to call myself a name, even though it was meant as an insult when NotaPretender posted it,
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotaPretender
not frothing maniacs as some of the Duchess' equally rabid admirers pontificate.)
Surely that is the statement more worthy of your complaint
Old 07-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
It was a small birthday party, not a huge 'milestone party. The BIG celebration was for her 50th. Charles and Camilla will, IMO, have been like any loving parents and told him to take his holiday with the love of his life, who they were unable to invite.

When we went away, Mr S hadn't just returned from a war zone either, it was when he was able to take leave. Nobody knows when Harry might be sent to a war zone, just because he didn't go to Iraq.

Why, if I choose to call myself a name, even though it was meant as an insult when NotaPretender posted it, why should it offend you?
Wow! 200 is small? You must have some amazing birthday parties at your house. Especially if you can wear the za za zing diamonds that Camilla sported at hers. I wasn't offended personally, I can hold my own. I feel bad for the newbies who may be too shy to post because of mud that gets thrown around like that. But we are getting way off topic.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Why is there a need, particularly in the British subforums, to illustrate a degree of personal specifics to the extent some do?

As both a contributor and reader of the discussed material, I don't come here to find out bits and pieces about the private lives of fellow board members in a thread that is dedicated to a specific topic.

Things normally turn relatively offensive when members allow themselves to make the situation more personal than it needs to be.

Grandmothers, party's, specified leave from the armed services...that's all well and good but theres an area for such conversations and it can be found at the bottom of the board in the members general section
Old 07-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I don't come here to find out bits and pieces about the private lives of fellow board members in a thread that is dedicated to a specific topic.
Things normally turn relatively offensive when members allow themselves to make the situation more personal than it needs to be.
Grandmothers, party's, specified leave from the armed services...that's all well and good but theres an area for such conversations and it can be found at the bottom of the board in the members general section
All pertinent to the discussion that was ongoing. The party being referred to was Camillas 60th.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
All pertinent to the discussion that was ongoing.
All "pertinent" to a discussion strayed from the original topic more like it!
Old 07-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
All "pertinent" to a discussion strayed from the original topic more like it!
No, a poster thought Harry not being at Camilla's party gave substance to the belief that William and Harry only invited Camilla because their father asked them to. That by not being at the 60th party, it showed Harry had lied when he said Camilla was wonderful, which obviously led on to why Harry wasn't there.

As some posts clearly 'upset' you, you could always try using the ignore poster option!
Old 07-25-2007, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent

You sure like that little face don't you.lol.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it...
Old 07-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Royal Highness

It's official: Queen Mary has rolled over in her grave....

Posted by "Not A Pretender"
Personally, I think a tremendous gesture on her part would be to take a piece of jewelry from the personal collection bestowed on her by the POW and offer it for auction - the proceeds going Diana of Wales' foundation.

Egads! WHY, and I cannot emphasize this enough, WHY would or should Camilla sell a piece of her jewelry to benefit Diana's foundation? That is unnecessary. Those are personal gifts that have nothing to do with Diana. If I sold a piece that my husband purchased for me "just because" so I could benefit some charity he would have my hide. Camilla need have no role in the Diana Foundation. I can see the headlines now if she were to do something like that "Camilla trying to buy approval". Really...

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 07-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
You sure like that little face don't you.lol.
I always try to be honest and that also applies to the smileys.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Courtier

It's a no win situation from any angle for Camilla:

If she shows up with her husband and her step-children, at their request, she is showing disrespect to the memory of Diana. Even if Camilla liked Diana all along, (which no one knows for sure if she did or did not) and wanted to pay her repects, she will be criticized by some for being disprespectful because it was widely publicized that Diana did not like Camilla.

If Camilla does not show up out of respect for Diana, knowing that Diana did not like her, she will again be seen for being disrepectful to her husband and her step-children, as they asked her to be present at the memorial.

I think that if she declines the invitation to the memorial out of repect for Diana, than Charles should also decline, since he also played a huge part in Diana's unhappiness.

If she accepts the invitation, I think it would be a smart P.R. move on her part to release some sort of formal letter to the public before the event, saying that she is going to the memorial at the request of her step-children, but that she by no means is trying to be disrepspectful of Diana's memory.
Or something along those lines.
Either way, whatever Camilla does, she will be criticized.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I believe it is a short term discussion. Camilla will show up at the memorial service, looking every inch the lady she is, she will stay in the background as usual and then go home with her husband. End of situation. She will give noone actually a reason for more talk than just the fact that she was there, IMHO.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Royal Highness

I've finally come to a decision. I think that Camilla will do what she personally thinks will give her the best image with the British people. Let's face it: for the most part, the British people truly are Diana fans. Camilla is going to get bashed whether she goes or she doesn't go. She just has to pick what she or Charles thinks will save her image the best in the minds of the British people.

BTW, for all the people who seem to think that I am bashing Camilla in some way: I'm not. I like her a lot, but I think that she needs to make smart decisions when it comes to this.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
I've finally come to a decision. I think that Camilla will do what she personally thinks will give her the best image with the British people.
Well, that may be the case, but I hope she'd do what she personally thinks is the best thing for Prince Charles. I think she doesn't really have a lot of choice - she had to be invited or it'd look as though she was being snubbed, and having been invited, she pretty much had to accept or it'd look as though she was admitting guilty of some sort or insulting Diana's memory or whatever. I'm sure that if Princess Margaret had still been alive, she'd have put a good face on her fallout with Diana over the Panorama interview and turned up. These sorts of occasions aren't really about people's private feelings, especially in the royal family.

Skydragon, it really doesn't take you long to discover new smilies, does it? That spider has been in the smilie collection for less than a week! (I just updated the Halloween ones a few days ago)
Old 07-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Skydragon, it really doesn't take you long to discover new smilies, does it? That spider has been in the smilie collection for less than a week! (I just updated the Halloween ones a few days ago)
Elspeth once you know they are there, you can't help but keep looking and planning what you can use them for. They really are brilliant and you know how grateful I am to you for providing them all!
Old 07-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Courtier

Sensible Suggestion

Sesa wrote:

"If she accepts the invitation, I think it would be a smart P.R. move on her part to release some sort of formal letter to the public before the event, saying that she is going to the memorial at the request of her step-children, but that she by no means is trying to be disrespectful of Diana's memory."

That is eminently sensible.

And to the poster who indicated that perhaps a family should behave differently under these circumstances of second marriages based in infidelity, you need to carefully read my post in which it was clearly stated that we were not disrespectful of this second wife, but that she was not the holder of the title "grandmother." With which the most persnickety genealogist must agree.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

I sincerely hope it would go without saying that she means no disrespect to Diana's memory. I think a letter like that would give the tabloids a field day. It would be taken as if a person who knows she's in the wrong is trying to desperately justify her actions. Sometimes there's a lot to be said for a dignified silence - when you know that whatever you do will be used against you, the best course is often to not do anything.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Commoner

Quote:
It's amazing that the woman you keep telling us, was loving, caring, a great humanitarian, could continue to cause so much division for some, 10 years after her death. What a legacy of hope and forgiveness she leaves through her fans.
Well said, Skydragon. I find it very sad that some Diana fans express their "love" for Diana by voicing their hatred and contempt for Camilla and/or Charles at every opportunity. And now, the issue of whether or not Camilla should or will attend is receiving so much media attention it threatens to eclipse the very purpose of the memorial service, which is to remember and celebrate Diana's life.

As far as I am concerned, Camilla was invited as a member of the Royal Family, she should attend, and the media should focus on the service and not be preoccupied with those in attendance.

Tags
camilla, diana's death and funeral, duchess of cornwall, memorial, princess diana, princess of wales