The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 04:31 AM
Royal Highness

Am I the only one who finds it strange that no word is said about it on the official websites of The Prince of Wales and of The British Monarchy ?

Old 08-27-2007, 05:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think it was planned from the start that it would go this way and I think it is very well done, she is very welcom but she bows out gracefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
First of all, I would like to register my astonishment, and a bit of disappointment, that Charles and Camilla decided to bow to the pressure from media and some lunatic Diana fans (no offence to normal fans, who I respect).
Why now? They went through a hell during these months, why pull out just a couple of days before the event? Surely they knew something like these was coming, when the guest list was first announced?!

I love the Duchess, she is one of my favourite Royals, but I really think she should have gone ahead, as planned. I understand it might have not been her decision (just as the decision to go was not her decision in the first place), but even so, I would prefer her to go through it, with dignity and tact she displays on all of her official functions.

This wasn’t just a blow for Duchess, this was a blow for Charles (who is now going to face it all alone, and who had to, in a way, ‘sacrifice’ his wife, for the public demands), William & Harry (who made it quite clear they want her to be there) and the whole British Royal Family, in my opinion.

I'm a staunch Royalist, and I admire the House of Windsor and all of its respective members greatly, but there is one thing I don't like about the modern Royal Family: they not just take the Media into consideration (which is normal and necessary) but are in a way dictated by them. Keeping them at the arm's length would be my preference.
If the likes of Richard Key can decide who attends or doesn't attend an event, what's the point of Monarchy? The country could do as well with a Prime Minister alone, who isn’t required to pull out of anything, because of a public mood.

Edit: I've been without Internet or TV over the weekend, so I'm not sure where the announcement Caqmilla will not attend came from. I know CNN, BBC and others reported it, but where did they got the information? Was there an official announcement? I had a look at the Diary section at the PoW official website, and Camilla is still scheldued to attend the memorial.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
I think it was planned from the start that it would go this way and I think it is very well done, she is very welcom but she bows out gracefully.
Possibly.

The Princes have, out of courtesy, requested their stepmother's attendance.

Their stepmother feels touched by their friendly request but thanks for the honour.

Something like that. But it went out of control somewhere.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Dear Skydragon,
Moreover, it is disappointing to see how well-bred and etiquette-educated individuals from the UK can not accept the opposing views with composure.
And what a great disappointment, that some resort to personal attacks!
{deleted for consistency - Elspeth}
Old 08-27-2007, 05:30 AM
Aristocracy

good for her

i don't like it but she knew it was the right thing to back out.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
But what you call ´hub-bub´ is made by the media, by the press. I agree with ysbel and others who say that this decision is a victory of the press. Are the Royals or is the Monarchy so weak that the press can dictate what they have to do ?
I think Camilla is only a victim, but all this isn´t good for the future of the Monarchy and that´s makes me disappointed and sad.

That's what I'M wondering, too. Why do they read the Mail anyway? I wouldn't if I was in their position. But obviously they listen to advisors who got cold feet....
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
I agree with ysbel and others who say that this decision is a victory of the press. Are the Royals or is the Monarchy so weak that the press can dictate what they have to do ?
I think Camilla is only a victim, but all this isn´t good for the future of the Monarchy and that´s makes me disappointed and sad.
Who would have thought that people like Kay and Edwards would still be able to dictate what 'the people' want. As I keep saying, only 540 of the people polled by the Dirty Mail voted against Camilla going, that means 460 people wanted her to go. The people who were desperate to exert their power/flex their muscles, once again were the media.

A shameful day for Britain and a shameful day for some members of the royal family.

I will continue to support Charles and Camilla, but unless William or Harry now put out a statement condemning the treatment by the press and the Diana fanatics of their stepmother, they can no longer count on my support!
Old 08-27-2007, 06:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_cc View Post
Avalon, I believe on Internet BBC and Daily telegraphy are the first two news to break out. I read BBC first though because someone posted the link in the topic. I am not sure about the TV. There is no official annoucement I suppose. Probably just the assistant faxed the statement from Birkhall to Clarence House then Clarence House informed the journalists and reporters about the decision.
Thank you love_cc.
Forgive me if I am wrong, but when a statement like these is issued from the Clarence House, don't they put it in the 'Press Release' section of the PoW official website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry M.
Am I the only one who finds it strange that no word is said about it on the official websites of The Prince of Wales and of The British Monarchy ?
I find it very strange as well. I've scanned the PoW website, the British Monarchy website and nothing. You'd think something like this would be mentioned somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragton
A shameful day for Britain and a shameful day for some members of the royal family.

I will continue to support Charles and Camilla, but unless William or Harry now put out a statement condemning the treatment by the press and the Diana fanatics of their stepmother, they can no longer count on my support!
Even though I'm not British, I have to say, I do share these sentiments. And even though this will not waver my support for TRH's, I would really prefer never to witness the circus this Memorial was turned into by the Media.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:40 AM
Royal Highness

Imagine... to make the disaster complete

Imagine that suddenly The Duchess of Cornwall does appear....

As long as on the official website(s) from The Prince of Wales and/or The British Monarchy there is no statement about it, we simply do not know for 100% sure. Or does the BBC suddenly function as Clarence House's press office?

Old 08-27-2007, 06:52 AM
Aristocracy

I think it's sad.

I thought it was about the boys and how THEY wanted to remember THEIR mum?

If they ask Camilla to come, then she comes. No one has any right to say no.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
Press Objective? What, are you kidding? I think that has never happened!
Well yes but at least there was some respect. Today, making the private life of people a public attraction is common. In any case the press seem to hate everyone, Charles, Camilla, etc. even Diana IMO. If they had respect for her, they wouldn't publish this crap everyday.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 08-27-2007, 06:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M. View Post
Imagine that suddenly The Duchess of Cornwall does appear....

As long as on the official website(s) from The Prince of Wales and/or The British Monarchy there is no statement about it, we simply do not know for 100% sure. Or does the BBC suddenly function as Clarence House's press office?

Camilla to stay away from Diana memorial - CNN.com

here it is from cnn, they can not just quote her without it coming from clarence house. It is just not in the website and perhaps never will be mentioned.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:07 AM
Heir Apparent

What we seem to be forgetting here is that Diana was the Princes mother, and they are entitled to love her. And if they want to show that by having a memorial for her then it is their RIGHT. THey likely had nothing at all to do with the service when she was buried as they were quite young. So maybe this is their way of honoring her that they could not do in the past. As misguided as the whole excercise might be, I can understand the desire to show your love for someone that you lost at such a young age, and likely have at least some fairy tale images of. All children have fairytale images of parents lost at a young age.

Furthermore, they have clearly shown their support for Camilla, and clearly stated it. There is no need to do so again. And why should they have to? It seems enough for the Boys and Camilla, as well as Charles, and they are the only parties who really matter.

What I find SHAMELESS is that the so called Camilla and Royal Family supporters are buying into this whole media circus, which is exactly what the media want. It's their job to create division and controversy and those of you who are buying into the whole debacle are just enabling them. Nothing that the media says has anything to do with the Royal Family. And if they Royal Family begins listening to what the tabloids have to say then shame on them.

But more importantly shame on those of you who would let such nonsense affect the way that you think of people who have no control over the press.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well it is a public ceremony, not a private one, so the press, the royalists, the camilla haters and lovers etc everyone included can say and feel whatever they want.

Quote:
What we seem to be forgetting here is that Diana was the Princes mother, and they are entitled to love her. And if they want to show that by having a memorial for her then it is their RIGHT. THey likely had nothing at all to do with the service when she was buried as they were quite young. So maybe this is their way of honoring her that they could not do in the past. As misguided as the whole excercise might be, I can understand the desire to show your love for someone that you lost at such a young age, and likely have at least some fairy tale images of. All children have fairytale images of parents lost at a young age.

Furthermore, they have clearly shown their support for Camilla, and clearly stated it. There is no need to do so again. And why should they have to? It seems enough for the Boys and Camilla, as well as Charles, and they are the only parties who really matter.

What I find SHAMELESS is that the so called Camilla and Royal Family supporters are buying into this whole media circus, which is exactly what the media want. It's their job to create division and controversy and those of you who are buying into the whole debacle are just enabling them. Nothing that the media says has anything to do with the Royal Family. And if they Royal Family begins listening to what the tabloids have to say then shame on them.

But more importantly shame on those of you who would let such nonsense affect the way that you think of people who have no control over the press.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
BBC News video
BBC News Player - Camilla to miss Diana service

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 08-27-2007, 08:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress
But more importantly shame on those of you who would let such nonsense affect the way that you think of people who have no control over the press
I feel no shame in putting my support behind the only people that have tried to act with honour and dignity, Charles and Camilla! You say W&H have no control over the media, I disagree, if they had come forward when the media started hounding Camilla, if they had spoken out to the Dicycle idiots, then all this would have stopped. If HM, William and Harry are unwilling to now publicly defend the woman they placed in this position in the first place, then they will have lost the support of many people. If they are going to be swayed by the media, as they clearly have been, then they are shown to be mere celebrity puppets.

You say 'shame on those who would let such nonsense affect the way you think of people..... and yet isn't that exactly what anyone does, who bases their dislike of Camilla on what they have only read, in books or the media?

Shame on them and the people who, influenced by the media, were vociferous in condemning Camilla for accepting the invitation.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:19 AM
Heir Apparent

But that's the point Skydragon. They have all clearly shown their support in many ways over the last few years. Why should they have to bow even more to the very people who are screaming that they've bowed to the public by removing Camilla from the service.

It's either one or the other, they are doing the right thing by bowing to the public or they aren't. It can't be that they bow to the public in one instance, only to do it again. What you are asking them to do is basically the same action, with different consequences, and you've quite clearly condemned that action.

I agree shame on the people who condemned her for accepting the invitation, because they are not in her shoes and don't know what she was going through. Like I said, personally I don't think that she should have accepted, but that is my personal opinion, based on my views of life, and not on what ever the media was saying.

HM, Harry and Wills, have all been clear in their support, and those of us who follow the royals know it, and between those that follow the family, and those that are in the family, it should be enough. Bugger on the people who are only using this as an excuse to get all hyped up.

It makes not one iota of difference in my support of them.

EDIT: As a followup - Don't you see that by removing your support for the royal family, or other senior members of it, you are not only hurting the royal family and Camilla, but falling right into the "trap" that the tabloid media has set up? Apparently their goal is to remove the RF entirely. If such supporters as yourself remove them based on what the media is spewing out, then what do you think will happen next? I hope that you are as intelligent as your arguments lead me to believe, and will be able to see past all of this crap to the real point.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
But that's the point Skydragon. They have all clearly shown their support in many ways over the last few years. Why should they have to bow even more to the very people who are screaming that they've bowed to the public by removing Camilla from the service.
They have bowed to media pressure, therefore it is only right that they make sure the media know they are annoyed. You say they have shown their support in many ways, I can think of only two, but do surprise me....... and the only screaming we have seen, is from the Diana fanatics
Quote:
HM, Harry and Wills, have all been clear in their support, and those of us who follow the royals know it,
As I said, let those of us, who obviously don't follow the BRF, see the evidence of all this support.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_cc View Post
I begin to feel angry about the situation now. It is about the unity of the royal family and how BRF protects their members. I am not sure whether Princess Anne would attend the service or not. If she did,even lawfully marrying into the royal family,Camilla is still the only one who is left with a vunerable state for unpredictable criticisms and public outcry related with any Diana's unfortunes.

I begin to see how vulnerable actually Camilla was and is by being put into the difficult situations. She is not only the chosen human target by the taboilts and Diana Hardcore fans but also the chosen human shield for the royal family toward public pressures about Diana's mistreatments. How sad and how unfair. Camilla is really a remarkable and brave lady to weather all these storms and endures all these pains and attacks for the sake of the monarchy and for the man he loves and the family he cares. I think I can do nothing but to write a letter to HRH to show our supports in her.
I completely agree with you - IMHO it has always been the queen who did not support Camilla enough and forced Charles to bend to public opinion. She is probably still shocked about the events of 10 years ago and would do anything to prevent similar things from happening. Charles as the heir may have a lot of control about his personal life and his own court but he probably has not so much influence when it comes to the queen and her court.

The tabloids potentially only take their clues from BP and while they seem to report honestly enough about Camilla's everyday life and her duties, they act like a pack of woolves when it comes to Diana.

I personally was shocked to see the first plaque that Camilla revealed bearing the name HRH The Duchess of Cornwall in printing - I couldn't believe my eyes. These plaques are there to stay and thus are cementing the second-best attitude towards Camilla. Maybe we should start a Camilla-circle writing to all institutions who have such a plaque and ask them to fill a complaint with BP in order to change the plaque to HRH's legal name which is shortened neither Duchess of Cornwall o Countess of Chester, but Princess of Wales. The Princess of Wales of the year these plaques were unveiled!
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M. View Post

No, you are not the only one. A part of me holds a small hope that the Duchess is just playing a gag on the Dirty Mail and fully intends to show up. If she does, she will totally disarm the press. They won't know what hit them, and it would great!

Tags
camilla, diana's death and funeral, duchess of cornwall, memorial, princess diana, princess of wales