The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
The concessions being demanded by the loony fringe are that she not be crowned, of course. And that he not be crowned either, but that they live in exile like the Duke and Duchess of Windsor while William is crowned in Charles's place. The fact that this is something that William might not want seems not to enter into the equation.
Ok, so let's have Lady Louise instead!

Old 08-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Sigh, apparently my posts are not being read.

1. I completely agree that this memorial was totally unneccessary. The concert should have been enough to honor Diana for the public.

2. I think that a private memorial for friends and family would have sufficed.

3. I think that Camilla, despite anything done in the past, has comported herself in an admirable way, and even though I do not like what has happened in the past, I think that she deserves a second chance. I am a big fan of second chances. She has deifinitely gained at least some support from me as she has continued to act like a lady, and to act with grace and tact since becoming married to Charles. Who are we to say she hasn't tried her best in exceedingly difficult circumstances. Would you want to be in her shoes.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:38 PM

If I wish I was in her shoes. I'd soon stick the toe of my Jimmy Choo up the ass of the Dirty Mail, the Diana Circle and it's ilk and make it clear that I wasn't going to be treated like some kind of inferior. Can you imagine if this was Princess Michael? Would she take this? No she wouldn't and nor should Camilla. Then again, it's all the more cutting when this has been put upon her by her stepsons so what can she do?
Old 08-26-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
If I wish I was in her shoes. I'd soon stick the toe of my Jimmy Choo up the ass of the Dirty Mail, the Diana Circle and it's ilk and make it clear that I wasn't going to be treated like some kind of inferior. Can you imagine if this was Princess Michael? Would she take this? No she wouldn't and nor should Camilla. Then again, it's all the more cutting when this has been put upon her by her stepsons so what can she do?
Oh boy, when Princess Michael of Kent is a standard bearer for the appropriate behavior of Camilla, geez......... I guess the British Monarchy is in much more trouble than I thought!
Old 08-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Heir Apparent

And therein lies the crux of the matter. Her stepsons invited her, so what could she do? She could have said no, and I think that she should have, but then she risks hurting their feelings.

In the end, I think that her stepsons should have held more importance than public opinion, but as Elspeth says the monarchy is a bit reliant on public opinion.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Moderator Emeritus

And the Diana loons win (again)...
Old 08-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Heir Apparent

I had just completed and was about to review a lenghty, well reasoned, carefully drafted post, when I was distracted by a spammy PM which I have now deleted, and of course I lost my post.

In summary:

1. I always thought the memorial service was a bit odd after so long but didn't think it could do any harm.

2. Camilla has probably never wanted to go but felt it was her duty as the boys asked her and her husband seems to have wanted her by his side.

3. Camilla has behaved with dignity in very difficult circumstances.

4. The RF has, once gain, bowed to public demands to be its mother/father/nanny.

5. The RF and the institution has become an entertainment and is being treated by some like a reality TV show. The viewers are phoning in to vote off their least favourite contestant.

6. The institution of the monarchy will be weakened by this situation which should have been foreseen by the armies of experts the RF employs for that purpose.

7. I wish it was September 1st.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Heir Apparent

So she decided not to attend...what an absolute circus this has been.

If the Duchess believes it's not in anyones interests that she attends for whatever reason(s) then I say her gut instincts and rationale are most probably right.

She isn't going so really that's the end of this immediate discussion one would assume (not saying to close the thread just noting the facts )

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Roslyn, I agree with your post except for point 7. I don't think September 1st is going to bring any relief because (a) the bullies have tasted blood and they know their tactics can be successful, which means they'll be hounding Camilla (and probably Charles) from here to kingdom come, and (b) the tabloids involved in this hounding need some way of selling their wares, and whipping up hate is always a good way to do it. The profit-making ability of yet more biographies and photos and revelations about Diana has probably peaked, but here's a fresh new angle, and the Camilla haters have been empowered so the Saint Diana, evil Camilla stuff will be very appealing to them. And it probably won't occur to them that they're being manipulated in order to enrich the tabloid press. I just hope this frenzy doesn't end in someone's death like the last one did, or it'll really go to show that people don't learn from their mistakes.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I have a question:

Those of you who say that Camilla is bowing to public opinion in not going, would you be happy if she again bowed to the opinion expressed by members of the public and changed her mind yet again and went?

Is it not the same thing in that case?
Old 08-26-2007, 10:26 PM
Courtier

the daily mail has already started the campaigns.Several articles have been put up.They don't even dare put the name of the byline author names.So sentimental......So emtional.....
Living in the shadow of the 'people's princess'
Living in the shadow of the 'people's princess' | the Daily Mail

How can our future King be so badly out of touch?
How can our future King be so badly out of touch? | the Daily Mail

Diana memorial: Courtiers get it wrong again
Diana memorial: Courtiers get it wrong again | the Daily Mail

Haunting sense of guilt that Charles needs to confront
Haunting sense of guilt that Charles needs to confront | the Daily Mail
Old 08-26-2007, 10:27 PM

Well, for me, I'd rather the thing wasn't happening in the first place and she wasn't put in this position. But if she had to be, I'd rather the RF got it's act together and made it's intentions very clear from the start and for me, that's 2005. They should have said, Camilla won't be a real member of the Royal Family, she'll be a seat filler and a hand waver but anything bigger and it wont be happening and for that reason, we're giving her a second rate title and we're not going to let her be Queen either. Every action that has come from the RF has been negative on this one, every time Camilla stands a chance of becoming a leading member of the firm, the RF puts something in her way. But no, I don't want her to change her mind and go - I want the Princes to change their mind, realise what they've done and cancel this whole charade.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Majesty

Such a thought, Elspeth ...

“I just hope this frenzy doesn't end in someone's death like the last one did, or it'll really go to show that people don't learn from their mistakes” (Elspeth, 2007).

That would be an interesting development to see. It may bring the saga to finality. I hope there will be no wars between loyalists afterwards.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Heir Apparent

When you put it that way I can understand your position.

And again, I think that she has been put in a terrible position. I certainly don't envy her.

Well, if they cancelled it at this point, they would be bowing to public opinion. This is all just a mess and a no win situation all around.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sam, are you saying you think the royal family's advisers dumped her in this deliberately to undercut her? Someone in the Palace is colluding with the Mail?
Old 08-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I just hope this frenzy doesn't end in someone's death like the last one did, or it'll really go to show that people don't learn from their mistakes” (Elspeth, 2007).

That would be an interesting development to see. It may bring the saga to finality. I hope there will be no wars between loyalists afterwards.
I do hope you aren't being serious.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
I have a question:

Those of you who say that Camilla is bowing to public opinion in not going, would you be happy if she again bowed to the opinion expressed by members of the public and changed her mind yet again and went?

Is it not the same thing in that case?
No,she won't change it again. It is the final say. What I felt uncomfortable is that so many so-called adults and friends and those care about Diana refused to see Prince William and Prince Harry's points of views about peace and reconsiliation and criticised almost every details in the service directing the idea that Prince Charles is behind the scence to ensure that the service becoming a PR move for Camilla and him. It is so unfogiving and unkind in my judgement and if this is what they wanted, I would rather wish Britain to become a republic and release the royals from the guild cage.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:35 PM

I think the general concensus here seems to be that Camilla should stick to her guns. Whatever that is, going or not going (now it is not going, she says) it should be the final word. This business of being adamant about going shows the crucial flaw in the whole PR battle of wills that the memorial service for Diana has become. It shows that the whole thing is just for public consumption. The "public" supposedly doesn't want Camilla there, so "they" have their wish. That's BS. It's not about the "public", the media companies, or even the genuine public. It's about Diana. It's about family. The whole family.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Majesty

Dear Elspeth,
I had no wish you to offend you, but I have cited your words. I have been subjected to harsh criticism upon presuming that some form of divine intervention might prevent Prince Charles from becoming a King.
I have just expressed my views on your words. You live in the UK and know more than those, who get news from cheap tabloids and mass media.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Sam, are you saying you think the royal family's advisers dumped her in this deliberately to undercut her? Someone in the Palace is colluding with the Mail?
I'm saying that it's becoming ever clearer that someone, several people if I'm right have a serious problem with Camilla and have set conditions about just how much of a member of the Royal Family she can be. They'll take orders from the Queen, they might bring themselves to take them from Charles, but from Camilla? It sickens them to think that someone like Camilla might topple them from their precious grey suit positions with her down to earth style. They want to limit her influence as much as they can and once again, the Eunuchs bring down the Emperor.

Tags
camilla, diana's death and funeral, duchess of cornwall, memorial, princess diana, princess of wales