The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 06:01 PM
Majesty

To yesbel

I do apologise for the mistake in the name. Additional thanks for explanations.
I have already stated that I liked Princess Diana's style to certain extent. At the same, I refrain from judging her or anybody's deaminor. As you know "Judge not, less ye be judged and found unworthy". If I dare say so, but the Princess lacked sophistication in revenge. Hopefully no one is offended by the above statement.
As for Prince William's reaction, it is my personal impression. I might be wrong.
Finally, the presence of Duchess of Cornwall as well as other individuals that have been invited to attend the service does not matter me. It is up to the British Royal family and their inner circle. Let them be emotional and do whatever they want. Considering that I have been "found unworthy", I do not wish to be subjected to any other “clever” comments from the members of this thread.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I do apologise for the mistake in the name. Additional thanks for explanations.
I have already stated that I liked Princess Diana's style to certain extent. At the same, I refrain from judging her or anybody's deaminor. As you know "Judge not, less ye be judged and found unworthy". If I dare say so, but the Princess lacked sophistication in revenge. Hopefully no one is offended by the above statement.
As for Prince William's reaction, it is my personal impression. I might be wrong.
Finally, the presence of Duchess of Cornwall as well as other individuals that have been invited to attend the service does not matter me. It is up to the British Royal family and their inner circle. Let them be emotional and do whatever they want. Considering that I have been "found unworthy", I do not wish to be subjected to any other “clever” comments from the members of this thread.
The way Al Bina has been made to feel is probably the way Camilla feels when she is told of how some people consider her presence at this ceremony.

The way I was raised was that forgiveness and kindness and focusing on what is important to those who still grieve the loss of a mother overrode any harsh emotion I felt towards a controversial attendee to such an event.

We are talking about excluding their stepmother whom I am sure feels uncomfortable every time she steps out the door from the majority of those of us who adore Diana. If we want to support William and Harry, we will be forgiving and gracious to their father and stepmother for this one hour IN A HOUSE OF WORSHIP they focus in remembering their mother.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Hi pinkie, the mere fact that others disagree in the threads shouldn't make people feel uncomfortable. It may fall out in a thread where you are the only one that has your opinion (and that happens to me a lot sometimes) but as long as people are respectful, then there is no reason to feel unwelcome.

But we are an international board and misunderstandings can occur due to language and cultural differences.

The one thing that I noticed in this past conversation is that ALL CAPS is often interpreted as shouting and angry and sometimes gets an angry response although the original statement may not have been intended as angry at all.

When in doubt, I think a hefty dose of politeness and tolerance goes a long way here and on any other board.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 08-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Hi pinkie, the mere fact that others disagree in the threads shouldn't make people feel uncomfortable. It may fall out in a thread where you are the only one that has your opinion (and that happens to me a lot sometimes) but as long as people are respectful, then there is no reason to feel unwelcome.

But we are an international board and misunderstandings can occur due to language and cultural differences.

The one thing that I noticed in this past conversation is that ALL CAPS is often interpreted as shouting and angry and sometimes gets an angry response although the original statement may not have been intended as angry at all.

When in doubt, I think a hefty dose of politeness and tolerance goes a long way here and on any other board.
Yes I totally agree and apologize for the caps...yet I think sometimes we loose sight of this being a religious service in a place of worship (not a youth oriented concert venue) in which there will be a focus on those feelings and memories of William and Harry, primarily. Perhaps for the time when I enter the portals of a chapel, I am more humble and more accepting of those under that same roof more so than I would be if I were to meet them on the pavement...although I hope I am the same in kindness wherever I go. I hope this same politeness can be extended to Camilla by those of us who admire Diana.

I also felt that Al Bina personified the ostracism Camilla might feel when "judged". I do believe in Al Bina's quote of "Judge or be judged". I, too have made dour judgements against Camilla in the past, but the time and hour of forgiveness is quickly at hand.

Sometimes I think we fail to realize the real and breathing person focused on, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, must feel awfully uncomfortble in this summer of remembrance, this week the nadir of that experience. I might not ever be able to find the time to have a cup of tea with her if I were ever asked (ahem) but I do believe we should find a modicum of courtesy for her if she wants to be seen supporting William and Harry in a sad hour of their lives.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I hope this same politeness can be extended to Camilla by those of us who admire Diana.
That goes vice versa I also try not to judge Camilla to harshely and acknowledge some of her duties which she's doing a good job.
Its sad that some fans and the media has turned this memorial into a circus.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

No need to apologize pinkie. You may laugh but I wasn't thinking of your ALL CAPS at all when I wrote that!

I think its easy to forget that all these people are human. Camilla, Charles, Diana, William, Harry, they're doing what they think is best at the time although they may think differently later.

I think anyone who takes a solitary or unpopular stand will feel alone sometimes. I don't condone adultery but I do wish I had Camilla's ability to focus on the people around her whether it be Charles, the boys, or her own children and endeavouring to make sure the relationships with those people are good before she worries about how it will play with the rest of the world.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 08-25-2007, 11:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, having just worked up the courage to sort through this thread... good grief is it long, I have to say, I really think that it is bad form for Camilla to attend this service. Even if her step children, ie the princes, want her to, I think that it can do her public profile no good. Whatever the reasons for Charles and Diana's breakup she did have a role in it. I am not saying that any party was an angel, because none were, but I think that in this case, she should just keep a low profile.

It will be too much for some people, who will undoubtedly say that she is spitting on Diana's memory. Not to say that she is, but were I her, I would not go.

Her going is just not kosher in my opinion. Diana held a lot of animosity towards her, for whatever reason, and did not consider her a friend. IN ANY situation, I think that the people who honor your memory at such a service should be those who cared for you in life, and for whom you cared as well.

Just my opinion though.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:26 AM
Royal Highness

I have been away and have finally found the time to sort through this thread--it did take some time. The discussion is wonderfully witty, charming, somewhat explosive and enjoyable. I'm pleased we are all able to offer our opinions on the subject.
Yes, Diana did hold "animosity" towards the Duchess. I think any of us would feel that way if we were in that situation--but there is a key difference that some have ignored--we aren't royal and our lives don't play out on message boards and newspapers. This battle has been raging for far too long and I do believe that William and Harry are trying to move beyond the past in some ways with this memorial. They are honoring their mother for the woman she was--and for the mother they lost. It is a sad time for them and people are turning it into a profit making, argument inducing spectacle. Perhaps WIlliam and Harry, by inviting Camilla, are trying to make clear to the world that the past is the past, leave it there. The boys have, they love and respect their step-mother. Even William has been quoted as saying that he didn't blame Camilla for the breakdown in the marriage. And he is right. Ultimately, the Prince and Princess of Wales were too different. He was pushed into a marriage with her because she was suitable and she had been in love with the idea of him since she was quite young. They grew apart not because of Camilla but because of their extreme differences. They did make a good team once, though. But, it wasn't enough. Their children see and acknowledge that--why is it so hard for the rest of the world? Let them remember the mother they lost ten years ago without dragging all of this into it.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 08-26-2007, 02:47 AM
Aristocracy

Well since we are in this topic, there was an article about Camilla attending the Memorial of Diana, Princess of Wales. Some people felt that Camilla does not deserve to attend, but I believe it is up to the sons of Diana. It was said that Prince William and Henry, since December they invited the Duchess of Cornwall to the Memorial.

The article:
The Royalist - Rosa Monckton: Camilla Shouldn't Attend Diana Memorial

Philip Elmer-Dewitt, in Time Magazine
Old 08-26-2007, 03:23 AM
Royal Highness

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the people at the service would rather have spent the day in private remembrance. IMO, the public pressure to have a big do on the anniversary is bordering on the macabre. All the articles about whether the Duchess should and shouldn't have. All of this would have went away if the principles, the princes and whomever they chose to spend the day with, were allowed to have a private service. Instead, the public expects a bigger gesture, much as the public demands on the royals in the week before the funeral ten years ago. There is a ghoulish desire to see gushing tears from the princes. If either William or Harry throws a punch at the Duchess, in full view of the cameras of course, so much the better for ratings on their "news" specials.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
We are talking about excluding their stepmother whom I am sure feels uncomfortable every time she steps out the door from the majority of those of us who adore Diana. If we want to support William and Harry, we will be forgiving and gracious to their father and stepmother for this one hour IN A HOUSE OF WORSHIP they focus in remembering their mother.
I wouldn't think anyone gives the people who adored Diana any thought at all, least of all Charles or Camilla.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the people at the service would rather have spent the day in private remembrance.
It wouldn't surprise me if half the people expected to attend, would rather be getting on with their own lives.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
Her going is just not kosher in my opinion. Diana held a lot of animosity towards her, for whatever reason, and did not consider her a friend. IN ANY situation, I think that the people who honor your memory at such a service should be those who cared for you in life, and for whom you cared as well.

Just my opinion though.
To remain consequent in your way of thinking, it would be Prince Charles at first to remain away at the Memorial. After all it was with hím she had such a bitter and tragic marriage.

And of course also someone like The Duke of Edinburgh, who apparently couldn't stand the sight of Diana, should not then go either.

Not to mention The Princess Royal who had no any understanding whatsoever for Diana's 'wailing' when she was "for God's sake!" The Princess of Wales.

The Chapel would suddenly find a few of empty seats....
Old 08-26-2007, 07:49 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
If we want to support William and Harry, we will be forgiving and gracious to their father and stepmother for this one hour IN A HOUSE OF WORSHIP they focus in remembering their mother.
How generous of you....!
Old 08-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M. View Post
To remain consequent in your way of thinking, it would be Prince Charles at first to remain away at the Memorial. After all it was with hím she had such a bitter and tragic marriage.

And of course also someone like The Duke of Edinburgh, who apparently couldn't stand the sight of Diana, should not then go either.

Not to mention The Princess Royal who had no any understanding whatsoever for Diana's 'wailing' when she was "for God's sake!" The Princess of Wales.

camilla caused the divorce of charles and diana, not the duke of edinburgh. if camilla hadnt cheat on andrew charlles wouldnt divorce diana.

its a matter of taste and manners i guess. if i caused a divorce i wouldnt be present in the womans memorial. its not kosher at all.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarela View Post
camilla caused the divorce of charles and diana, not the duke of edinburgh. if camilla hadnt cheat on andrew charlles wouldnt divorce diana.

its a matter of taste and manners i guess. if i caused a divorce i wouldnt be present in the womans memorial. its not kosher at all.
William and Harry have acknowledged that their parents' marriage broke down due to their incompatibility, these were 2 people who never should have got married. Neither William or Harry consider Camilla the cause of their parents' marital breakdown, they have personally invited Camilla to the memorial. What is tasteless and bad manners is the way people and the various tabloids continue to ruin what should have been a solemn and respectful memorial to Diana, to nothing more than a squalid soap opera.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M. View Post

Anne isn't going,she has another function/is abroad.As for Camilla,she is invited by Di's sons,so who are we to judge if the sons have no problem.It was confirmed today that Princes William and Harry will read the lessons during the service,and Lady Sarah Mc Corquedale will contribute as well.
Clarence House also confirmed today that the Duchess of Cornwall will be attending as she will be accompanying her husband.

Camilla was not alone in the affair,so was Charles.But Camilla or not,that marriage was bound for failure regardless,a kindergarten girl and a man that had his own world already were not inclined for a future together.And besides all that and another thing,Di certainly was no saint.

Ofcourse the press,again,will hype all this to boost the sale,sickening nobodies,as they hyped anything and everything regarding the dead Lady and others,squeezing every penny out they can get their hands on,and a country full of going for the craze of the day,what?People?No,cattle.If they hadn't bought the darn rags then,we probably wouldn't have a Di to remember now.They never learn.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Heir Apparent

I can understand why Charles would be going. They did have children together, and whether or not Diana cared for him in the end, they did both have joy in their children. I think that Charles should go simply as a support for his children. I think that it would be the same in any situation such as this.

I just think that it is in poor taste for Camilla to go, simple beacuse of the way that Diana felt about her. Good for the princes that they are moving on, but the fact of life is, they, their mother, and Camilla, as well as their father are public persons. There are certain things that they have to do to maintain their station in life, and certain things that the world expect of them because of that station.

Is that fair? Probably not, but it is the way it is. I wonder if we asked the parties involved what they would rather, what they would say? I would rather be a private person with all the privacy, problems and misery as well as happiness and mundane every day issues that a private person has, or would they rather be just as they are with the issues, problems, and priveledges that come with their position?

We will never know, but we can express our opinions here, and my opinion is that she should not go, or if she does, she should jkeep a very low profile. The memorial should not be about her, her attendance or the unholy mess the three of them created, but about Diana.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarela View Post
Sorry, in my very humple opinion Diana's mathematics have not been her best feature.
"There were three in the marriage. A bit crowded."

I actually did count -at least- four persons in that marriage, making Diana losing her rights to complain too hard about this.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
Good for the princes that they are moving on, but the fact of life is, they, their mother, and Camilla, as well as their father are public persons. There are certain things that they have to do to maintain their station in life, and certain things that the world expect of them because of that station.

Is that fair? Probably not, but it is the way it is.
An interesting point you bring up here Empress. This is an occasion where it seems that that an action that is good for the inner relations for the members of the British Royal Family is not so welcome from certain areas of the public. And you are right it is not fair.

The question is how the BRF decides to handle this particular fact of life. Do they opt to support the family at the expense of public support or do they opt to bow down to public opinion and disrupt the family that is remaining?

I think we all know the answer of how the BRF decided to proceed; only time will tell if it was the right decision.

I think though after so many decisions where the BRF decided to sacrifice the family for the sake of public opinion, it is perhaps time for them to move a bit in the other direction.

-- Deepak Chopra
Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, diana's death and funeral, duchess of cornwall, memorial, princess diana, princess of wales