Should Camilla attend the memorial service for Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh so much to say!

I don't want to even touch the godson wedding thing because I know its off topic BUT I will just say that based on ceratin events (i.e. the godson's wedding and Diana's memorial)...sometimes it just seems that always' Charles's way or the highway! Sometimes you have put the interests of others (i.e. your godson and your wife) before yours!

In regards to Elspeth's comment about Clarence House...I don't think they were trying to undercut Charles and/or Camilla...I think they were just trying to follow Charles's goal to the bloody end! And that was there should have been no reason why Camilla shouldn't attend the memorial. But is this just another example of Buckingham Palace saving Clarence House! Do you think there is power struggle beween both groups?

Again, it has taken me some time to get used to the fact...but Camilla's is Charles wife and she has a place in his life and at his side. I just dont think her place was at Diana's memorial.

I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly wouldn't wish the feelings of despair/anxiety/fear that Camilla might have had to deal with on Friday. Everyone watching Camilla, talking about her, etc.The immaturity of certain people (the true rabid Diana fans) and how they could have reacted at her presence at the memorial. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. The situation could have been handled better....but at least she has been spared that.

But we need to keep everything in perspective. The memorial is just another day, one hour of a day in fact. Charles and Camilla have weathered worst then this. This too shall pass.

Last edited:
Charles is an outright fool in my opinion, especially if he acts this way. Does he not understand he hurts her public profile more than helping by behaving in such a manner? Especially regarding things that I doubt very much Camilla gives a fools damn about.

Camilla's not to blame for Diana's death
Camilla's not to blame for Diana's death - Telegraph

a damage control now? or a way to calm people's feelings? I am really looking forward to other media's responses especiall the Mail's.

Another Diana memorial? Get me out of here!
Another Diana memorial? Get me out of here! | the Daily Mail

Charles weeps bitter tears of guilt (Dear Mr.Kay's excellent work):ROFLMAO:
Charles weeps bitter tears of guilt | the Daily Mail

I'm sorry but I don't understand Mr Kay's article. Was he being sarcastic? In my humble opinion Charles behavior in the immediate aftermath of the death of the Princess was flawless.

Richard Kay doesn't seem to be able to write anything positive about Charles or Camilla, so this is just more of the same. Apparently he has Rita Skeeter working for him, since he knows in so much detail about what Charles is doing and how he feels.

Rita Skeeter! Oh Elspeth! I love the HP references!

Does anyone really pay attention to Richard Kay?

The problem with Charles is that he has no spine.

No, the problem with Charles is that he chooses to use his spine at the most in opportune times. Instead of worrying about Camilla attending Diana's memorial, he should have fought for her to be called the Princess of Wales!

No, the problem with Charles is that he chooses to use his spine at the most in opportune times. Instead of worrying about Camilla attending Diana's memorial, he should have fought for her to be called the Princess of Wales!
You do realize that if Camilla chose to be known as Princess of Wales the hardcore Diana fanatics would've been baying for her blood.

You do realize that if Camilla chose to be known as Princess of Wales the hardcore Diana fanatics would've been baying for her blood.

One you can't please everyone...and I hope even the most diehard Diana fans would have stepped back to realize that the law is the law and keep everything in perspective.

But regardless of all that, I agree with BF :ohmy: By calling Camilla something other than her title, it sent the wrong signal.

And of course they are reporting on the vileness that they themself have spewed in her name. My god, talk about hypocrites.

Maybe she wanted to choose to leave her own mark, and not take the second hand title of a woman who had made the title her own. I would not want it.

One you can't please everyone...and I hope even the most diehard Diana fans would have stepped back to realize that the law is the law and keep everything in perspective.

But regardless of all that, I agree with BF :ohmy: By calling Camilla something other than her title, it sent the wrong signal.

So it can be safely presumed that the correctness with the title has gone wrong. However, the current title has little or no impact on any further developments .

So it can be safely presumed that the correctness with the title has gone wrong. However, the current title has little or no impact on any further developments .

I am not sure what you mean by this?

They already are. I think it might have caused some problems with people who weren't hard-core fans, though.

I am not sure what you mean by this?

In … years, she is likely to become the Queen of the UK using the title of her husband or any other variation of the title (I believe the Duchess of Cornwall is rallying for the Princess Consort) she may insist on. This will largely depend on the current political situation in the country. Her current humble “the Duchess of Cornwall” title will be viewed an irrelevant variable.

Last edited by a moderator:
A title is just that, a title. It has no bearing on who you are or who loves you. In Camillas case the people who care for her and are fans and the people who hate her and want to see her dissappear into a black hole would not have changed their mind if she was called the Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Queen Camilla or the Baroness of Bullfrog. Camilla is Camilla because she is who she is and not whatever title she has.

Let's not forget that title is everything in this case as it's not just a title, it's an office. The title of Queen isn't just a title, it's a position. The title of Princess of Wales isn't a title, it's a position and with that position comes certain duties and responsibilities which Camilla is being denied her right to carry out.

I don't think that she is really being denied anything per se, that would come with being Princess of Wales. Being denied the right to go to the former carrier of that titles memorial service? Not neccessarily a right. In fact, it is not her's or anyone elses for that matter, right to go to a memorial service. She was not granted the right to attend any and all functions when she became Charles wife.

In all other respects she is carrying out the duties prescribed as the spouse of the Prince of Wales, and has chosen to do so under a title that she has the option of making her own. Why would she want the title Princess of Wales since it is so closely tied to Diana's memory?

What else is she being denied?

In any case, I doubt very much that Camilla gives a rats arse about what title she has. She has the most important things, which are the love, respect and support of her husband (as inept as he is at showing it usefully) and her children and step children.

Let's not forget that title is everything in this case as it's not just a title, it's an office. The title of Queen isn't just a title, it's a position. The title of Princess of Wales isn't a title, it's a position and with that position comes certain duties and responsibilities which Camilla is being denied her right to carry out.

PR advisers or any other advisors assigned to correctly cloth the situation will figure out how to duly address this situation. Hopefully they will not botch the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that she is really being denied anything per se, that would come with being Princess of Wales. Being denied the right to go to the former carrier of that titles memorial service? Not neccessarily a right. In fact, it is not her's or anyone elses for that matter, right to go to a memorial service. She was not granted the right to attend any and all functions when she became Charles wife.

In all other respects she is carrying out the duties prescribed as the spouse of the Prince of Wales, and has chosen to do so under a title that she has the option of making her own. Why would she want the title Princess of Wales since it is so closely tied to Diana's memory?

What else is she being denied?

In any case, I doubt very much that Camilla gives a rats arse about what title she has. She has the most important things, which are the love, respect and support of her husband (as inept as he is at showing it usefully) and her children and step children.

Once again, Right you are ... My compliments :flowers:

Don't take the title issue too seriously BeatrixFan. I don't think Camilla really want title of Princess of Wales or Queen Consort from the begnnings. These titles will scare her actually because she knows exactly the duties, the responsibilities, and the limitations and the pressures behind that. So the Duchess of Cornwall and Princess Consort are her ways to balance her role as the wife of Prince of Wales-future King and her role as the wife of Prince Charles as a person. She is not ambitious in herself so it does not really matter much to her.The titles of Princess of Wales and Queen Consort do not define her and her character defines her.

It sounds funny but Charles has been Duke of Cornwall for a longer time than he is for Prince of Wales. In its own way, it does reflect Camilla's importance in his life as the Duchess of Cornwalll. She does not want to be Princess of Wales and she does not want to walk in Diana's shoes. Now I know how many miserable history of those Princesses of Wales were. Read the previous history of other princesses of Wales, I felt horrified about the curse in the title as well..

The Diana Myth
The Diana myth - Times Online

Last edited:

Some very good points in that article, and some of the same thing has been on display in the press over the last few weeks.

The real cruelty was reserved for the family in shocked privacy at Balmoral. It got nasty by day three. “Show us you care!”, “Mourners call for Queen to share our grief”, “Not one tear has been shed from the royal eye” (how did the writer know?), “Charles weeps bitter tears of guilt” (ditto). There were strident demands –– “Your people are suffering, speak to us Ma’am!” and “Your not-so-loyal subjects are now demanding that their wishes be taken into account”. Even the haughty Independent leader said: “What would really do the monarchy good . . . would be for the Queen and the Prince of Wales to break down, cry, and hug one another on the steps of the abbey. That such an event is unthinkable showed how great is the gap between the people mourning ‘their’ princess and the Royal Family.”

It was bullying, and it did not originate on the streets: an acute piece by Thomas Sutcliffe noted that the vox-pops were eerily repeating phrases from the previous day’s papers and television. Left alone, I suspect the common sense of the street mourners would have told them that everybody must grieve in their own time. The media, however, encouraged by the Prime Minister and his jackal, exulted in putting pressure on the Windsors and winning: “The Queen bows to her subjects”; “Finally the royal family have done the decent thing”.

Last edited:

You're quite right, Empress. She does have the most important things, and when she and Charles are pottering about together, enjoying their beautiful garden at Highgrove with their children and/or step children and soon grandchildren, none of this other business matters.

She's simply put Camilla in a horrible position.

No, that would be Clarence House's fault and even Camilla's for accepting in the first place. You cannot blame the Queen one bit for suggesting a possible revise of the situation. Diverting your 'unhappiness' towards the Queen is unnecessary and without foundation, Sam.

Camilla, as second wife, has the difficult position to live up to the shadow of a more popular first wife. Reminds me a bit of the novel Rebecca, without the devoted husband part.
I don't think Camilla should be considered as a person that replaces another one but as a woman that can carve her own place in history and make something positive about it. That way she can separate herself from being constantly compared to Diana. And then, we don't know how much of that freedom to act is up to her.
About the question if she should attend the service, the best thing she could do is to decline. She could give some kind of press release excusing herself from the event out of respect for Diana and for those who loved and admired her so much. And it would be a nicer touch if that was read by Diana's sons in an attempt to bring some peace between both parties and move on.

Maybe then Diana's sons can put this matter to rest and let Charles and Camilla enjoy their lives aging together just like Diana and Dodi would have done too. Makes you wonder if, at some point, the two couples could have put the past behind and become friends. We will never know.

Last edited:
Diverting your 'unhappiness' towards the Queen is unnecessary and without foundation, Sam.

Well who shall I divert it to? I divert it to William and Harry for organising the wretched thing in the first place and I'm wrong, I divert it to the lunatic fringe and I'm wrong, I divert it to Clarence House and I'm wrong - tell me, who am I allowed to be angry at or am I now being expected to join the Diana fanatics and have done with it?

Well who shall I divert it to? I divert it to William and Harry for organising the wretched thing in the first place and I'm wrong, I divert it to the lunatic fringe and I'm wrong, I divert it to Clarence House and I'm wrong - tell me, who am I allowed to be angry at or am I now being expected to join the Diana fanatics and have done with it?

You need look no further than Clarence House and the way the have managed it, sweetheart.

I see this event as a test, for the Windsor family to show off their survival skills; for Camilla to show how to be tactful in a very difficult situation she has being placed upon as second wife; for Diana's kids to keep her memory going and... for the fans and admirers of both ladies to understand that marriage, divorce and re-marriage are very difficult things in life for all the parties involved.

Last edited:
You need look no further than Clarence House and the way the have managed it, sweetheart.

They'd have had no need to manage it if it was never allowed to happen in the first place. Those boys are responsible and didn't I always say they'd cause trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom