The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

From the people I know and meet, 99.9% (whether they liked Diana or not) really have no interest in the whole thing. To them a memorial 10 years on is in very bad taste and crass. Again most people I know or speak to have absolutely no problem with Camilla being at the service by her husbands side, at the invitation of her step children. Most will tell you that extended families are a fact of life in the UK. It is strange that the one woman I do know who is opposed to her attending, is a regular church goer and even though her clergyman keeps telling her that the christian chuch is all about forgiveness, she (never having met or spoken to any of the people involved), swears by the Morton book and declares that 'she' will never forgive.

The people who are really interested are the media, (whether that is because of their part in her hounding, I don't know, but it has meant extra sales to visitors), the remaining hardcore Diana fans, many of whom have brought their children up on the tales of the Diana/Charles fiasco and those able to make some extra money from the tourists they expect to come over for the Diana fest.

Some of the TV listings programmes have apparently published letters from viewers complaining about the amount of Diana programmes that have been shown these last few weeks. Many now realise that the monarchy is more important than a failed marriage and everyone deserves a chance of happiness.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Aristocracy

One more time, Camilla shouldn´t attend the memorial service for Diana. A friend of mine told me the exact words (no le corresponde a Camila asistir), but I don´t find the traduction to english, sorry.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
I know, i only talked to some people ( not enough for a poll) and maybe Skydragon, BeatrixFan, Elspeth or other members from the UK will correct me.
I'm not from the UK; the "United Kingdom" in my profile denotes nationality, not location. I've lived in the USA for over 25 years, but I keep in touch with family and friends back there, and I tend to read British news sources rather than US ones.

Interesting that they're beefing up the Diana memorabilia stuff (maybe we should send Iowabelle over there!); we were back in England visiting family in April and I don't remember seeing much evidence of it then.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:29 PM

I have to agree with Skydragon. Most of my friends and colleagues really couldn't care less. We all have so much going on in our own lives, we have so much to do and so many worries and engagements that there's little room for worrying about this sort of thing. Occassionally we might have a conversation about the Royal Family but not daily. The general view amongst people that I talk to is that a) the memorial service is strange and not really needed and b) "that was 10 years ago, there's more important things to worry about".
Old 08-23-2007, 06:30 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you Skydragon, BeatrixFan and Elspeth!
I see that my impression isn´t so far from reality. Now I feel much more relaxed of this 31 of August than after reading some post in this thread...
Old 08-23-2007, 06:54 AM
Royal Highness

I have already stated a few weeks ago that the common man in the street, commuting to work or school, shopping in the supermarket or rushing to get the children out of day care will most likely not care less about who-and-who attends a memorial service.

I remember during the memorial concert that my two 15/16 years old nieces barely had any idea about Diana. They were 5/6 when Diana died and in fact have no active memory to her. It was very strange to hear from such grown ups that they did in fact not know who Diana was....

A better illustration that life always goes on, can not be given... Except for the Daily Mail, of course.... And for laying the blame on Camilla: unfortunately Diana's skills on mathematics were not sufficient. She did count three in her marriage, making it 'a bit crowded'. Whatever way: I always count four in that dreadful marriage....
Old 08-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Royal Highness

But what is interesting is for those of you who claim you could care less...still post daily, and sometimes twice day, on here.. :-)

For those of you are seem to be so anti-Diana and are intent on NOT making a big deal about this, why post on this particular thread at all then? You of course have every right to, but I am just curious.

Memorials to public figures at significant anniversaries are not uncommon in any part of the world. We see it with JFK, Elvis, etc.

What stations in the United States will be broadcasting it next Friday? Does anyone know?

Thank you.

Oh, and of course as times go by and the ones who were little or just born around the time she died will not know who she is other than from history books. That is not uncommon either. It just illustrates the natural progession of passage of time.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, the average person on the street has more to worry about than this memorial.

However I do think the majority of people would still be uncomfortable with the idea of Camilla being there. Regardless of how hard her PR team works she will still be known to many as the "Other Woman". Rightly or wrongly scandals are easier for people to remember.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think that only the present and the recent past counts for most people and Camiila & Charles are obviously very happy together. Most of us have seen less than perfect marriages in our surroundings and have grown used to all kinds of things happening

as an average, non worried person of the street I have taken the day off to sit in front of the tv enjoying historical splendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
Yes, the average person on the street has more to worry about than this memorial.

However I do think the majority of people would still be uncomfortable with the idea of Camilla being there. Regardless of how hard her PR team works she will still be known to many as the "Other Woman". Rightly or wrongly scandals are easier for people to remember.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
I think that only the present and the recent past counts for most people and Camiila & Charles are obviously very happy together. Most of us have seen less than perfect marriages in our surroundings and have grown used to all kinds of things happening
In most circumstances I would agree with you, however there are plenty of people who have not forgotten. Polls still consistently show that people do not want Camilla to be Queen. What is that based on if not the past?

Regardless of what you think of Camilla (and I happen to think she's quite ok), there's still that animosity towards her. It's a lose-lose situation because when she attends she will be slated in many quarters, if she didn't go she would still be slated.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

There's always going to be some animosity toward Camilla just like there will always be some animosity towards Diana and for that matter towards the Royal Family in general.

I think Camilla will work it out in the longterm though precisely because the Royal Family has a longterm view. They're not in this job for this month's headlines (or for that matter) for this year's headlines. Their focus by necessity has to be on the reputation of the monarchy over a period of decades not single years.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 08-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
But what is interesting is for those of you who claim you could care less...still post daily, and sometimes twice day, on here.
For those of you are seem to be so anti-Diana and are intent on NOT making a big deal about this, why post on this particular thread at all then? You of course have every right to, but I am just curious.
I presume I am one of the ones you are talking about, if not excuse my reply. I am sorry if you feel that I couldn't care less about Camilla attending this memorial, I do care and believe passionately that as the wife of Prince Charles and stepmother to his sons, indeed with an invitation from his and Diana's sons, she should attend. That as they know better than anyone posting on here what really went on within that ill fated, mismatched marriage and know all the people involved personally, they, more than anyone should have the final say in such a decision.

I can't say I count how many times I or someone else posts, if I am having a conversation or feel I have a point I wish to make, I make a post. That is the beauty of laptops, mobile phones, desktops and email notification. The primary discussions I go to are the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall threads, which is of course where this discussion is situated.

Quote:
Memorials to public figures at significant anniversaries are not uncommon in any part of the world. We see it with JFK, Elvis, etc.
It certainly seems to be a very 'foreign' thing. We hold memorials for historical events, WW1, WW2, The Falklands and I think the record labels celebrated 25 years of The Beatles.

As for the polls, the internet/phone polls are open for and clearly abused. The recent poll for ICM shouted that 54% (I think) of the British people didn't want Camilla to be Queen, how can they possibly say that, they only ask just over 1000!
Old 08-23-2007, 06:22 PM
Royal Highness

I agree, Skydragon, they do the same thing here in the U.S. How could a 1,000 people stand for a whole country in a poll? It is logistically and mathematically impossible.

And we both hope things go smoothly that day for all of them...

Hope you are doing well.

Lady M
Old 08-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Well there is supposed to be a whole science behind polling.

I always find it funny that people question polls when the outcome doesn't support their own viewpoint.....

Either way it doesn't matter, public opinion towards Camilla is growing and softening so eventually it will be a majority in her favour
MORI - Monarchy Trends
Old 08-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Royal Highness

i think this will be the last memorial event we'll see. anything after this anything to remember her will be strictly for the immediatley family (unless they rename a theater or park or something like that) and probably won't even be mentioned in the press. for some reason i don't think it's strange that they've arranged to have it but like i say it'll probably be the last one we hear about.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
i think this will be the last memorial event we'll see. anything after this anything to remember her will be strictly for the immediatley family (unless they rename a theater or park or something like that) and probably won't even be mentioned in the press. for some reason i don't think it's strange that they've arranged to have it but like i say it'll probably be the last one we hear about.
Do you really think this will be the last menorial to Diana?
I don't think so. Monoco's royal family is celebrating Princess Grace's 25 anniversary of her death. I hope the princes will do the same for Diana.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:51 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post

It certainly seems to be a very 'foreign' thing. We hold memorials for historical events, WW1, WW2, The Falklands and I think the record labels celebrated 25 years of The Beatles.
You don't think there will be a memorial for the Queen Mother later on?
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 08-24-2007, 06:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
I agree, Skydragon, they do the same thing here in the U.S. How could a 1,000 people stand for a whole country in a poll? It is logistically and mathematically impossible.

And we both hope things go smoothly that day for all of them...

Hope you are doing well.

Lady M
Thank you, you also.
A friend explained to me that the pollsters are given a specific age group or area to question. It could be people in London with a specific area dialing code or in street polls, within a certain age group.

It sounds as if the American pollsters credit the American people with the same amount of intelligence as the British ones, if they expect you to have any belief in 1000 people giving a true indication of the nations feelings.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
You don't think there will be a memorial for the Queen Mother later on?
Possibly, but (without trying to start a war), she was a royal when she died, so that would be different.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:07 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Possibly, but (without trying to start a war), she was a royal when she died, so that would be different.
More than merely royal, she was a Queen and a former Empress.

Tags
camilla, diana's death and funeral, duchess of cornwall, memorial, princess diana, princess of wales