The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibou View Post
The Queen has always been know to but Duty and Country first. My understanding was that her concern on the marriage was constitutional. How would it affect the Monarchy's role and the role of the Monarchy as the head of the church of England and more importantly would Charles if he married Camilla be able to assume the throne (the ghost of Wallis Simpson and Edward the VIII) Once those issues were resolved, the engagement was announced.
Time has changed. Prince Charles and Camilla married in 2005 and Wallis Simpson and David were in 1930s. Moreover, Camilla and Andrew PB are PLU(People like us) and Camilla's background is much acceptable than Wallis Simpson. It is always better for them to get married rather than just being long-time lovers but Prince Charles chooses to wait the right time.

Prince Charles has to clear the ostastcles before he succeeds his mother anyway.Since other heirs to the thrones have married for love, Prince Charles is entitled to the same. I think when Prince Charles succeeds the Queen, there will be no problem for them. Camilla is always a very devoted companion to Charles and she brings calm and peace to him and people will be happy to see that.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Given that disastrous set of initial conditions, why on earth does it matter which of them was the first one to commit adultery? The damage was done, to and by both of them (and by a bunch of other family members of theirs for whom there was a lot less excuse), years earlier.
Really good post that 'summarizes' well the situation Elspeth . I agree with you and like you said, knowing who was the first to commit adultery is not the problem. I believe that it was impossible to avoid, by the both, so honestly today, who cares to know which one started ? For myself, it doesn't prevent me to sleep (I hope that's also the case for everybody else here ). We all know that if Diana started, Charles would have gone eventually to Camilla (adultery or not) and vice-versa. Why bother ? And why taking it on Camilla ? If it wasn't her today with him, it would have been someone else but never Diana. They were way too different to manage a relationship in long terms.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 08-17-2007, 06:38 AM
Courtier

there is an online vote on Australian ninemsn website to ask whether Camilla should attend the memeroial service. 74% of 286 people voted that she should not attend the service. but there is not any reply on the discussion board so far. We may wait and see.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_cc View Post
there is an online vote on Australian ninemsn website to ask whether Camilla should attend the memeroial service. 74% of 286 people voted that she should not attend the service. but there is not any reply on the discussion board so far. We may wait and see.
Ahhh, 286 people that will be taken to represent 'the whole' of Australia when the results are published! What percentage of the Australian population is that (my number crunching friend is not available at the moment)!
Old 08-17-2007, 07:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Ahhh, 286 people that will be taken to represent 'the whole' of Australia when the results are published! What percentage of the Australian population is that (my number crunching friend is not available at the moment)!

0.0143% - yep that's right folks - a whopping 0.0143% of the Aussie population has voted!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
Really good post that 'summarizes' well the situation Elspeth . I agree with you and like you said, knowing who was the first to commit adultery is not the problem. I believe that it was impossible to avoid, by the both, so honestly today, who cares to know which one started ? For myself, it doesn't prevent me to sleep (I hope that's also the case for everybody else here ). We all know that if Diana started, Charles would have gone eventually to Camilla (adultery or not) and vice-versa. Why bother ? And why taking it on Camilla ? If it wasn't her today with him, it would have been someone else but never Diana. They were way too different to manage a relationship in long terms.
it doesnt prevent me to sleep too

yes it matters who was the first... the first to cheat took the action, the other took the reaction... action and reaction are differents in terms of guilty.

what the heck camilla will be doing in the service anyway?

someone mentioned the wifes of d; e; f (dianass lovers). maybe these wives didnt like diana a bit (and i understand them). If one of them (wives) had died, do you think diana would had been there attending their memorial service too?... i really dont think so
Old 08-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarela View Post
it doesnt prevent me to sleep too

yes it matters who was the first... the first to cheat took the action, the other took the reaction... action and reaction are differents in terms of guilty.

someone mentioned the wifes of d; e; f (dianass lovers). maybe these wives didnt like diana a bit (and i understand them). If one of them (wives) had died, do you think diana would had been there attending their memorial service too?... i really dont think so
No, but Diana wouldn't have been married to the husband of 'D' or 'E' who died I suppose. If she were, I think she would be going as his new wife; end of the story. Diana wouldn't have caused the death of 'D', 'E', 'F' as Camilla didn't cause the death of Diana so why does it bother you so much ?

Because it matters...
Old 08-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarela

She might go, if the children of 'D' or 'E' or 'N' had invited her to.

I'm sure Diana's memorial service is not the top favourite place for Camilla but the fact is: her stepsons invited her, they want her to be there to support them and their father.
She obviously cares enough for their feelings to put aside her own and do what they want.

Camilla isn't going to sing, perform or otherwise draw attention to herself, something she has never done. She'll just be there, discreet as usual, supporting her family.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
She might go, if the children of 'D' or 'E' or 'N' had invited her to.

I'm sure Diana's memorial service is not the top favourite place for Camilla but the fact is: her stepsons invited her, they want her to be there to support them and their father.
She obviously cares enough for their feelings to put aside her own and do what they want.

Camilla isn't going to sing, perform or otherwise draw attention to herself, something she has never done. She'll just be there, discreet as usual, supporting her family.
Absolutely and she's quite like the Queen in her reflection : Duty first, self second. She was asked to go, so I believe she will even if she doesn't feel like it.

Because it matters...
Old 08-17-2007, 11:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post

I personally wonder how long this event will be talked about after it's over. My bet is that the papers will not make more than 3 or 4 days of ranting out of it and then it's yesterday's news.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Commoner

I will try to find the source where I read that Sophie did not attend the procession of the funeral cortege by Buckingham Palace (because of her resemblance to Princess Diana). It made an impression on me since she was still only dating Prince Edward. If I can access the source, I will post it.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Commoner

I have not read all of this thread! I would like to inject some new lines of thought. Yes Camilla has a duty. Is anyone thinking of that duty in the history books? We teach are children to not make our mistakes to make their lifes better! The Royal Family is human, they make mistakes just like the rest of us. I wonder is Prince Charles still attempting to totally overshadow Princess Diana. Why is he tring to destroy her? Is he still Jealous? Someone said Living get on with it. This is true but we have to as human be mindful of how are actions affect other people. Camilla did bring alot of this on herself but she did have help from Prince Charles. Yes there is a possibillity that Diana would not be with Charles regardless. But I ask that why did that have to be and what happened to cause it. Actions always have consequences. Diana, Charles, And Camilla caused all this mess. I wonder if it would have happened if the Royals had not tried to live in the old ages in the 20th century! People do not agree with Adultry. They did not either at the time of the weddding. Are the memories of Diana going to be forced out of the history book? Cultures all over the world have tried to erase history. I would have thought we were better humans now! I am a devoted Diana fan but I think Camilla should go to te service to show her respects. I think she could go as far as to give a spoken appology at the service as to her part in this mess. That would limit the bad press.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Aristocracy

Who did invite Camilla?
Old 08-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

William and Harry invited Camilla to the memorial.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Nobility

I can't wait to get this Memorial Service over with so that we can all get this topic behind us and move on...
Old 08-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Royal Highness

I sincerely hope members of the public who may feel a little "heated up" that day respond with dignity and grace when she arrives.

This will be televised in the United States as well and I am sure it must have crossed the POW and DOC's minds she may be eviscerated verbally, or even pelted with objects.

I just hope everyone behaves in a polite manner.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
The Age, The Herald Sun, even the daily printed MX Magazine have all had articles and liftouts.

I believe there was or is to be a documentary on TV, though if it's already been on I haven't seen it. But of course Sydney would have, or shall, get it also.

Clearly more of a media medium, and certainly just because nothing of any real substance has been printed in Sydney, does not mean any other city or state shall not run with the anniversary. And it's to no massive length, though clearly more than what's being printed in Sydney.

I, to be truthfull with you, cannot alter the narrow mindedness of those you are talking of, and have no ambition to do so so I don't particularly care who loath's Camilla and who loves Diana or who adores Camilla and who despises Diana...it's sad and naive behaviour and though I'm happy to participate in the conversation It's of no consequence to me if someone has such an unfulfilling life that they must make the marital and divorce issues of others their own 'fight' and 'conquest'.

Personally, if you were to go back and read through my posts (I'm certainly not telling you to do so ), then you would find that I, myself, stated that if Camilla were to attend then let it be to acknowledge and celebrate the many wonderful things Diana was able to do during her short life.
i think we're on the same page.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
i think we're on the same page.
And what an agreeable page it is, Duchess

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Commoner

No!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
I would like to start a poll on this question but it's a little controversial so if the moderators think it's a worthless thread that could cause some fight then delete it, no problem with me .
Is very sad that this man use Diana to have children and I think He never love Her,then Diana died ,sadly and now camilla the mistress whit out shame is dressin like Her,took Her place and help to broke her marriage,I don't think she has to be present on any thing.miaamor
Old 08-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_cc View Post
Time has changed. Prince Charles and Camilla married in 2005 and Wallis Simpson and David were in 1930s. Moreover, Camilla and Andrew PB are PLU(People like us) and Camilla's background is much acceptable than Wallis Simpson. It is always better for them to get married rather than just being long-time lovers but Prince Charles chooses to wait the right time.

Prince Charles has to clear the ostastcles before he succeeds his mother anyway.Since other heirs to the thrones have married for love, Prince Charles is entitled to the same. I think when Prince Charles succeeds the Queen, there will be no problem for them. Camilla is always a very devoted companion to Charles and she brings calm and peace to him and people will be happy to see that.
My point was strickly about the consitution and the church of England 's rules. It has nothing to do with what you responded to with your statement - apples and organges. My reason for bringing up Wallis Simpson was because Edward was head of the church. The church opposed marriage to a divorced person and thus Edward caused a constitutional crisis. Winston Churchill was very involved in this whole situation. It was determined that if he married Wallis he would have to abdicate. It's not about the personalities of Camillia, Wallis or charles or Camilla's devotion it's about the consitution and the Church of England. While times have changed, the Constitution and the Church of England's situation have not not which was why Charles marriage to Camilla was tricky and why it was conducted in the way it was.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, diana's death and funeral, duchess of cornwall, memorial, princess diana, princess of wales