The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
Where I live, the press has been full of Diana nostalgia, i.e. print medium and television.
I can vouch for that also, Polly

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-16-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
In my opinion, if there were any hope of Australians, generally, accepting Camilla as a future Queen, then they're being dashed. Her attendance at this religious and spiritual service may well prove to be 'the last straw'.
Then you do not think it would be worse for Camilla not to attend? Don't you think she might suffer from backlash no matter what she does? I strongly believe she is damned if she goes, damned if she doesn't go, so maybe it's better to go because in this lesser-evil case, she will be doing what her family wishes.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Aristocracy

Itīs no making Camilla a problem. Camilla is a problem for the English Monarchy. Thatīs why Queen Elizabeth didnīt want the marriage to Charles.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Itīs no making Camilla a problem. Camilla is a problem for the English Monarchy. Thatīs why Queen Elizabeth didnīt want the marriage to Charles.
Excuse me, I almost choked with my coffee reading this !
Could you elaborate please ? Why do you think Camilla is a problem to the English Monarchy ?
I've heard many times that Diana was a problem but I don't think she was really. And if Diana is not a problem then Camilla is certainly not either. She behaves well, does what she is told and never committed a wrong step in her duties.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 08-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Courtier

Well, dear people, I must disagree. Camilla is not the problem. People's hangups and expectations are the problem. We are dealing here with real flesh and blood people with passions emotions, greatness and mistakes etc like all the rest of us. Charles will not be the first to love a woman who is not his wife. Diana was not the first with personality issues of her own. It seems to me that if you must feed the Diana cult, with the great villaness Camilla maybe it might be time to have a celebration of what is positive, a service of mercy, pardon and peace in which all the conflicts are over and let people drop all the garbage. The past is past and it cannot be changed. All the press is doing is their ususal cheap tricks and tawdry pandering to the lowest common denominatior in order to sell copy, pictures or get the rating pumped up.

Surely Diana, Camilla, Charles, William, Harry and the Queen all deserve better than this from all of us. WE DESEVERVE BETTER THAN THIS TOO!!!!

Cheers.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Serene Highness

First off, the problem lies within the Church of England and it's policy on divorce and remarriage and since the Queen is considered to be head of the Church of England therein lies the problem. Wallis Simpson was divorced and whether one liked her personally or not the issue was the divorce and King Edward VIII. That is why he had to abdicate so it's not a personal dislike of Camilla it was a constitutional issue regarding the marriage of Charles and Camilla.

Secondly the topic is the memorial service and Camilla's attendance. Let's face it she is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. My initial thought was that if the boys truly wanted her there and she should attend as long as she was discreet about it. If it is Charles pushing the issue that is another matter entirely. JMO
Old 08-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

She shouldn't but she is!

90% of people in england to not want Camilla to attend Diana's memorial service on the 31st of august. But as Prince Charles' wife she is duty bound to go and follow her husband and Prince William and Harry have asked camilla to come. But in my opnion she shouldn't go it's going to cause huge controversy a mean the women who was having an affair with charles while he was married going to his ex wife's memorial service come on!
anyway it's hardly a memorial service is it 700 people are going and that doesn't include some of the family members either.
Sarah, Duchess of York was invited but isn't attending now Prince Andrew is refusing to go in respect for his ex wife so that means Beatrice and Eugenie will probabley not attend.
People who are attending the memorial service are family, friends and above all statesmen from different countries but shouldn't a memorial service be a private affair?
just the boys and whoever are closest to them??
Old 08-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Serene Highness

thank you thomas parkman!!! beautifully put. this tread has been going in circles for 30 pages "are we there yet" i wished pages ago it was over already. perhaps we could close at this point with the wonderful posts by thomas parkman and hibou and have a picture thread after the service. she's going, the princes want her there- period- end of paragraph.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
thank you thomas parkman!!! beautifully put. this tread has been going in circles for 30 pages "are we there yet" i wished pages ago it was over already. perhaps we could close at this point with the wonderful posts by thomas parkman and hibou and have a picture thread after the service. she's going, the princes want her there- period- end of paragraph.
Well at least those discussions will end on August 31 (although I'm sure there could be a thread based on a question like : Did Camilla take the right decision by attending ? ). It's like the thread on Harry and Hewitt, the discussion will never end.

Because it matters...
Old 08-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
Excuse me, I almost choked with my coffee reading this !
Could you elaborate please ? Why do you think Camilla is a problem to the English Monarchy ?
I've heard many times that Diana was a problem but I don't think she was really. And if Diana is not a problem then Camilla is certainly not either. She behaves well, does what she is told and never committed a wrong step in her duties.
Thank you for this (and other) post (s), TheTruth!
I do not always share your opinion in this tread, but i always respect and like your post!
With people like you itīs nice to dicuss!
Old 08-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
90% of people in england to not want Camilla to attend Diana's memorial service on the 31st of august.....
Do you have any evidence to back up your claim?

Quote:
anyway it's hardly a memorial service is it 700 people are going and that doesn't include some of the family members either.
Since when is a memorial based on how many people are invited, (not that anyone knows exactly how many are going).
Quote:
People who are attending the memorial service are family, friends and above all statesmen from different countries but shouldn't a memorial service be a private affair? just the boys and whoever are closest to them?
In fact people that Diana worked with, as patron for various charities are also invited, as are some friends, godchildren and family. This memorial service is a private affair, it is by invitation only and you can't get more private than that!
Old 08-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
Thank you for this (and other) post (s), TheTruth!
I do not always share your opinion in this tread, but i always respect and like your post!
With people like you itīs nice to dicuss!
Lol thank you very much for that . I believe it's better to discuss than standing still on the side of someone that we don't know. I think BeatrixFan made that point in a previous post too. We don't need to fight to express what we think and there's no need to call ourselves 'Pro-Diana' or 'Pro-Camilla'. We appreciate more one of the 2 but we are adult enough to realize that nobody's white, nobody's black.

Because it matters...
Old 08-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Based on what is your statement that Camilla is a problem for the English monarchy?
If HM had wanted to stop the wedding of Charles and Camilla, she could of course have done so, under British law!
Old 08-16-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
If HM had wanted to stop the wedding of Charles and Camilla, she could of course have done so, under British law!
Indeed. I think the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have been exemplary in their behavior, their patience, and their understanding. They have acted as they ought to principally as parents. Charles and Diana were terribly unhappy by the last years of their marriage, and they wanted divorce, and it was difficult to achieve (four years!) but it was done. Likewise, it was difficult for Prince Charles to be able to marry Camilla. If anyone in the family opposed it, I imagine it was the Queen Mother on her very high moral and religious standards. Prince Charles loving her so much, while she lived, he did not want to offend her or show her the disrespect of marrying against her personal wishes.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I can vouch for that also, Polly
Could you tell me what television stations have been running shows as I haven't come across any.

Which print media, besides the WW and NI, have anything as again I have come across none at all.

Even my couple of rapid Diana fans have been saying how they expected some coverage in the lead-up to the 10th anniversary and have been very disappointed that this far out there has been nothing besides the couple of things in the WW and NI.

Which states are doing things that aren't being done here in Sydney?

I wonder why some parts of the country are making an acknowledgement but we aren't.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well here in the U.S. the concert recieved alot of coverage and last week there was alot of coverage on the new Diana movie that appeared on TLC.
And the t.v. station Lifetime is going to show the murder of Princess Diana on Aug. 26. And on the 31st the channel WE will show Diana programs for the entire day.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
People of any real credible knowledge or sourcing?

Personally, I'd be very surprised if it were Diana who was unfaithful first.
at the risk of the mods getting impatient with the way this thread is going i'll ask you...are the peopl that are unwilling to forgive camilla for her infidelity, forgiving diana for hers? my thought is that camilla has asked for forgiveness and that perhaps going to this memorial may be her way of showing that she celebrates all the good things diana did in her life.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Indeed. I think the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have been exemplary in their behavior, their patience, and their understanding. They have acted as they ought to principally as parents. Charles and Diana were terribly unhappy by the last years of their marriage, and they wanted divorce, and it was difficult to achieve (four years!) but it was done. Likewise, it was difficult for Prince Charles to be able to marry Camilla. If anyone in the family opposed it, I imagine it was the Queen Mother on her very high moral and religious standards. Prince Charles loving her so much, while she lived, he did not want to offend her or show her the disrespect of marrying against her personal wishes.
The Queen has always been know to but Duty and Country first. My understanding was that her concern on the marriage was constitutional. How would it affect the Monarchy's role and the role of the Monarchy as the head of the church of England and more importantly would Charles if he married Camilla be able to assume the throne (the ghost of Wallis Simpson and Edward the VIII) Once those issues were resolved, the engagement was announced.

The thread is about Camilla attending the memorial service. I said earlier that if the boys truly wanted her there she should attend as it would be their request. Not Charles, not the Queen, the boys. Diana was their Mother and if it's truly ok with them then we should also go with their wishes. JMO
Old 08-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
People of any real credible knowledge or sourcing?

Personally, I'd be very surprised if it were Diana who was unfaithful first.
Well, does the question of Camilla's attendance really have much to do with whether Charles or Diana was the first to hop into bed with someone? Sounds as though the first Wales marriage was an unhappy experience for both of them pretty much from the start. Diana was sure Charles was still romantically involved with Camilla, although there's no firm information about whether he was or wasn't. It's probably true that he was still emotionally involved with her since they'd been close friends and lovers for so long. If Diana had been more confident and more mature, she might have been able to turn Charles's interest to herself more successfully, but she wasn't so she didn't, and it sounds as though she had precious little advice from family members who were older and should have been wiser. In the meantime, Charles had been fought over like a bone by the two dogs that were the Queen Mother and Lord Mountbatten, both of them seeming to want to be the one to influence him as he grew up and neither of them having much time for the other, and Charles's engagement to Diana was a victory for the Queen Mother. It was a hopeless mismatch from the start for a whole lot of reasons, and there was little likelihood that it was going to turn out happily ever after.

Given that disastrous set of initial conditions, why on earth does it matter which of them was the first one to commit adultery? The damage was done, to and by both of them (and by a bunch of other family members of theirs for whom there was a lot less excuse), years earlier.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57 View Post
Could you tell me what television stations have been running shows as I haven't come across any.

Which print media, besides the WW and NI, have anything as again I have come across none at all.

Even my couple of rapid Diana fans have been saying how they expected some coverage in the lead-up to the 10th anniversary and have been very disappointed that this far out there has been nothing besides the couple of things in the WW and NI.

Which states are doing things that aren't being done here in Sydney?

I wonder why some parts of the country are making an acknowledgement but we aren't.
The Age, The Herald Sun, even the daily printed MX Magazine have all had articles and liftouts.

I believe there was or is to be a documentary on TV, though if it's already been on I haven't seen it. But of course Sydney would have, or shall, get it also.

Clearly more of a media medium, and certainly just because nothing of any real substance has been printed in Sydney, does not mean any other city or state shall not run with the anniversary. And it's to no massive length, though clearly more than what's being printed in Sydney.

Quote:
at the risk of the mods getting impatient with the way this thread is going i'll ask you...are the peopl that are unwilling to forgive camilla for her infidelity, forgiving diana for hers? my thought is that camilla has asked for forgiveness and that perhaps going to this memorial may be her way of showing that she celebrates all the good things diana did in her life.
I, to be truthfull with you, cannot alter the narrow mindedness of those you are talking of, and have no ambition to do so so I don't particularly care who loath's Camilla and who loves Diana or who adores Camilla and who despises Diana...it's sad and naive behaviour and though I'm happy to participate in the conversation It's of no consequence to me if someone has such an unfulfilling life that they must make the marital and divorce issues of others their own 'fight' and 'conquest'.

Personally, if you were to go back and read through my posts (I'm certainly not telling you to do so ), then you would find that I, myself, stated that if Camilla were to attend then let it be to acknowledge and celebrate the many wonderful things Diana was able to do during her short life.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, diana's death and funeral, duchess of cornwall, memorial, princess diana, princess of wales