The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:54 PM
Aristocracy

I think she should go. 1st to respect Diana and 2nd because the boys invited her.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Camilla will take Diana's place at her son's weddings, christining of Diana's grandchildren and every other major event in her son's lives.
uh, no she won't Camilla is William and Harry's step-mother Diana is their mother Camilla can't replace her and nor should she try to.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
But i don´t agree that it´s an interesting topic. Here you can find only the same old stuff for and against Diana or Camilla, we can read in all other threads with similar topics.
I do understand the statement it is you are making, and from the standpoint you have taken, I can agree, milla Ca.

Though I failed to adequately express that I was meaning the entire topic (indignant slinging matches aside), not just in this thread alone as it has encouraged huge amounts of interest and debate.

Quote:
And again the question is not whether Camilla will attend or not, you can only like or dislike that she will attend.
But of course it's a question which is being asked. Will she or won't she (confirmation aside)? And I do believe she shall, which is, in my view, the only thing to do.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
It's amazing that the woman you keep telling us, was loving, caring, a great humanitarian, could continue to cause so much division for some, 10 years after her death. What a legacy of hope and forgiveness she leaves through her fans.
The devide remains on both sides I believe it's fair and accurate to say.

Certainly it is evident within this forum alone.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Courtier

I think that she would not have to be present.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I am astounded by the suggestion from people on here, that Camilla should not sit with Charles and the boys, who whether you like it or not are part of her family as she is theirs.

It's amazing that the woman you keep telling us, was loving, caring, a great humanitarian, could continue to cause so much division for some, 10 years after her death. What a legacy of hope and forgiveness she leaves through her fans.
Okay, first of all, yes, Camilla is a part of their family now. In any other situation, it would be certainly appropriate for her to be with them in each and every way. But this is a memorial service for Diana, the woman who Camilla hurt so badly. I think it is a huge step for William and Harry to invite her to the service, knowing how she and their mother felt about each other. It's not a bad step; this is a very good thing! But I think that Camilla, under these delicate curcumstances, should try to keep herself as low-key as possible. I mean, many of the people who will be at the service were not on what could be called "sunshiney" terms with Diana. I don't even know how Diana herself would feel about them coming, but I think that she would know that her boys helped with this, and if they think that Camilla or anyone else should come, then they are right in their decisions.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
The media got on Diana, now on Camilla, next : William's wife ! The media adores, the media destroys, the media rules. It seems that no one can escape this terrible tornado that is the media.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 07-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Commoner

I don't know if The Duchess of York was invited?? She was at the funeral with her husband and daughters.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
Okay, first of all, yes, Camilla is a part of their family now. In any other situation, it would be certainly appropriate for her to be with them in each and every way. But this is a memorial service for Diana, the woman who Camilla hurt so badly. I think it is a huge step for William and Harry to invite her to the service, knowing how she and their mother felt about each other. It's not a bad step; this is a very good thing! But I think that Camilla, under these delicate curcumstances, should try to keep herself as low-key as possible. I mean, many of the people who will be at the service were not on what could be called "sunshiney" terms with Diana. I don't even know how Diana herself would feel about them coming, but I think that she would know that her boys helped with this, and if they think that Camilla or anyone else should come, then they are right in their decisions.
Sorry, Camilla is the wife of Prince Charles, and the stepmother of Prince William and Prince Harry. IMHO, she has to sit with her husband and her stepsons. IMO Camilla always keeps a quite low profile during her life. It is not her whom wants the attention but first Diana then the media itself wanting to put the attention on Camilla. I would rather Camilla does not attendent the service but since the princess invited her and she will attend the serivice.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
uh, no she won't Camilla is William and Harry's step-mother Diana is their mother Camilla can't replace her and nor should she try to.

She can't replace Diana in their hearts, but Camilla will be standing next to Charles during these important events and it will be her that their children consider their grandmother because she will be there. It's not meant meanly, just as a matter of fact.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Camilla invited her former husband and his second wife (who was the reason for the divorce, IIRC) to her birthday party. If she can be so forgiving, why should we believe the saintly Diana could not be so forgiving to her? Or is Camilla nicer or more human than Diana ever was and the Di-fans know that subconciously?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:03 AM
Royal Highness

We all here will never know what Camilla feels about going the service. But i can imagine that it will be not the nightmare some people wish she will have.
She is such a tough Lady and has the full support of her husband and her stepsons said that they love her.
So i think she will manage the situation with grace and dignity.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:24 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
So i think she will manage the situation with grace and dignity.
That is what I think as well.

The Duchess of Cornwall has made an excellent record as royal lady so far and has -unexpectedly- turned out to be an asset to the monarchy. Not only brings she joie de vivre into Clarence House, she also seems very important for the wellbeing and confidence of the future King and is loved by his sons.

From all predicted negativeness towards the Duchess, to begin with her famous wedding day in Windsor, nothing has come true so far. And I'm sure that a most dignified Duchess will simply follow her spouse and stepsons into the Church.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:33 AM
Serene Highness

I think this is a total non-discussion. Camilla is invited by the boys and so she will come, whether people like it or not. I mean, if William and Harry can get over it, we should probably ask ourselves if we're not exaggerating a bit. I think Diana can be proud that she has two open minded sons who are an example of forgivingness...

And next to that I think that Camilla will be all modesty while attending the ceremony. She has taken up her part with diginity and I'm not afraid we will see a change in her behaviour in the near future...
Old 07-25-2007, 05:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
I don't think Camilla should attend. It's not the Camilla v Diana thing, they were both pretty nasty. I just don't see Camilla genuinely mourning Diana and to pretend to is just not right.
It is a memorial service, not a funeral. The funeral is where you are supposed to do the mourning. A memorial is where you are supposed to remember the good things about a person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
The devide remains on both sides I believe it's fair and accurate to say.
Certainly it is evident within this forum alone.
The divide seems to be that those who like Camilla, are happy that she is willing to attend the memorial for someone who wished her nothing but ill and those who should read Jo's post perhaps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
Camilla invited her former husband and his second wife (who was the reason for the divorce, IIRC) to her birthday party. If she can be so forgiving, why should we believe the saintly Diana could not be so forgiving to her? Or is Camilla nicer or more human than Diana ever was and the Di-fans know that subconciously?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:10 AM
Heir Apparent

So Camilla didn't make public her feelings (which of course would have been hard for her to do any way, and I respect her longstanding discreation), but that's not to say, in any way, that she didn't wish ill of Diana also. No one here can make that assumption.

One cannot possibly know what it was the Duchess felt towards the late Princess of Wales, though it is clear some seem to think Camilla an untouchable entity beyond the same judgement, Diana is to now face in death. Oh I know Camilla has coped a damn hard slog of media and public backlash in the past, but I see a similar pattern forming amongst those who devoutly support her and those who embrace Diana's memory. That similarity being an intolerance to either hear or take into account the alternative point of view.

I'm not taking sides, and I have no interest in doing so as I have always stated. I just make a concerted effort to take into account that both women were hurt. Who am I to lay blame on either of them for a situation I had absolutely nothing to do with or even understand in it's full capacity. That to me, is so utterly pointless. It achieves nothing.

Camilla is going (so I believe) and I'm glade she is. Lets hope she makes good this opportunity to do some forgiving of her own, if she hasn't done so already.

I don't respond with intent to provoke yet another ongoing battle of the 'righteous'
Old 07-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
So Camilla didn't make public her feelings (which of course would have been hard for her to do any way, and I respect her longstanding discreation), but that's not to say, in any way, that she didn't wish ill of Diana also. No one here can make that assumption.

One cannot possibly know what it was the Duchess felt towards the late Princess of Wales, though it is clear some seem to think Camilla an untouchable entity beyond the same judgement, Diana is to now face in death.

I'm not taking sides, and I have no interest in doing so as I have always stated. I just make a concerted effort to take into account that both women were hurt. Who am I to lay blame on either of them for a situation I had absolutely nothing to do with or even understand in it's full capacity. That to me, is so utterly pointless. It achieves nothing.

I don't respond with intent to provoke yet another ongoing battle of the 'righteous'
Camilla is far from being 'an untouchable entity' or indeed person and I find the 'judgement' in death a tad too dramatic. There are many posters that support Camilla and also supported Diana, whilst accepting that neither women were angels. Through reading reasoned posts from a few posters, even I accept that Diana did some good for her chosen charities, (although I still dispute her motives). I don't believe, with the book or her dealings with the media that she acted as befitted her role of wife to the heir or mother to the future king.

The bottom line is that William and Harry, who know Camilla better than anyone on here and have more right to decide or comment, want and have asked their 'wonderful' stepmother to attend this event.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Camilla is far from being 'an untouchable entity' or indeed person and I find the 'judgement' in death a tad too dramatic. There are many posters that support Camilla and also supported Diana, whilst accepting that neither women were angels.
Entity, body, person, being...one in the same.

Dramatic? Oh, I must have 'subconsciously' kept in tune with the theatre of a forum's debate.lol.

Quote:
I don't believe, with the book or her dealings with the media that she acted as befitted her role of wife to the heir or mother to the future king.
You and I, both.

Quote:
The bottom line is that William and Harry, who know Camilla better than anyone on here and have more right to decide or comment, want and have asked their 'wonderful' stepmother to attend this event.
Quite true...infact very true, but if these two young men can see (and noted they are the children of the deceased and step children of the current consort) and appreciate the good in both woman and as you said, they are in a position to know better than anyone here, then why it remains so exigent for others to take a preferable side, remains rather elusive to me. Surely if William and Harry can show the love and affection they hold for each, then doesn't that say quite a bit about the women they infact are and were? I, personally, would have thought so.

And don't feel the above paragraph is directed at you as such. It's more a general observation.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:32 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Madame Royale, I hope you don't mind my asking, but what do you mean when you italicize words? The reason that I am asking is that I've read it can be used either for emphasis or irony and I can't figure out if you're trying to convey emphasis or irony!
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-25-2007, 08:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Madame Royale, I hope you don't mind my asking, but what do you mean when you italicize words? The reason that I am asking is that I've read it can be used either for emphasis or irony and I can't figure out if you're trying to convey emphasis or irony!

Oh not at all, ysbel!

Moreso emphasis though occasionally, a little light irony...

Tags
camilla, diana's death and funeral, duchess of cornwall, memorial, princess diana, princess of wales