The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
I don't know for sure, but I seriously doubt that Diana came to terms with Camilla. Plus, what kind of woman tries to befriend your lovers new wife? You know what they say, keep your friends close but your enemies closer, maybe that's why Camilla was being "nice" to Diana. Anyways, we don't know if she loved/liked Camilla, sometimes we just barely tolerate people.
Well we don't know for sure what Diana felt about things when she died. At that time, her life didn't seem to involved with either Charles or Camilla.

We also don't know what Camilla felt when she first met Lady Diana during the engagement. I wonder saphire whether you know that the expression you quoted 'keep your friends close but your enemies closer' came from Mario Puzo's novel the Godfather and it was what Don Corleone, the Mafia don, said about someone he was about to order the execution of.

If you did know where the phrase came from, it is an interesting choice of quotes to describe the relationship between Camilla and Diana. I'm not quite sure if its fair to the two ladies involved though.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 08-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Well we don't know for sure what Diana felt about things when she died. At that time, her life didn't seem to involved with either Charles or Camilla.

We also don't know what Camilla felt when she first met Lady Diana during the engagement. I wonder saphire whether you know that the expression you quoted 'keep your friends close but your enemies closer' came from Mario Puzo's novel the Godfather and it was what Don Corleone, the Mafia don, said about someone he was about to order the execution of.

If you did know where the phrase came from, it is an interesting choice of quotes to describe the relationship between Camilla and Diana. I'm not quite sure if its fair to the two ladies involved though.
In all honesty, I heard that phrase somewhere just a couple of days ago. And its true, we don't know what Camilla felt when she first met Lady Diana, and we also don't know how Diana really felt towards the end of her life about Charles and Camilla. Anyways, you are right that maybe the phrase used is not fair to either of them, but it somehow seem right (to me) to say that in a way maybe Camilla was keeping an eye on Diana and wondering if she would steal Charle's love from her. (sorry, I am starting to sound like a harlequin romance) Just my musings.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
(sorry, I am starting to sound like a harlequin romance) Just my musings.
Well we know Diana was a fan of Barbara Cartland's romances which are a lot like the Harlequin romances so maybe you do have some insight to what Diana may have felt at least. I don't know if Camilla was that much of a fan of the occasional romance novel.

Though I think that by 10 years after her death, the arrangements for her memorial is moving away from what Diana would have wanted when she was alive to what her sons want now 10 years after her death. But that is not unusual after someone dies. My grandmother's funeral was nothing like she wanted because her children wanted otherwise.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 08-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Anyways, you are right that maybe the phrase used is not fair to either of them, but it somehow seem right (to me) to say that in a way maybe Camilla was keeping an eye on Diana and wondering if she would steal Charle's love from her. (sorry, I am starting to sound like a harlequin romance) Just my musings.
There was something like that without a doubt. By getting close to Diana, Camilla knew her better and was able to define her personality. But as we learnt through books and other media, Diana wasn't the shy, naive girl that Camilla and everybody else thought she was. That's why I believe Camilla didn't get to know Diana very well. Her closest friends knew that there was an other Diana but Camilla didn't get close enough to see it.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 08-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

I thought a memorial service was for ALL people to remember a person, if they so wish to do, not just for close family and friends.

Whether you liked, loved, disliked or even hated the person being remembered you should be able to remember them at a memorial service and if invited then you should attend IMHO.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:49 PM

Well this is the thing, if you want to remember Diana, you watch the service when it's broadcast or you attend the service if you're invited. If you don't want to remember Diana, you don't. But sadly people seem to rally against anyone who politely declines to take part in Dianic Relief and that's why we end up with hurt on all sides.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post

BTW Mario Puzo 'borrowed'/paraphrased Sun Tsu's The Art of War
Old 08-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana is no longer here to speak for herself about she feels about anything. Prince William and Prince Harry have the right to decide how best to honour her memory and who should join them on this most personal occasion.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:33 PM

Very Very Good topic! I think she should NOT Attend, I would think it would be in bad tast if she did, considering she had an affair with Prince Charles while He and Princess Diana where married
Old 08-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Royal Highness

i can't see any harm in Camilla or the Al Fayed's attending. i think it was a mature thing for the princes to extend and invitation to both. i think the thing we need to remember is that when someone dies we don't need to remember all the negative things...remember the best things about that person. even if your dealings with them weren't always great, there must be something good you can say about them and i'm sure that both camilla and mr. al fayed have pleasant memories of diana. it's not like either of these people will get up to speak so there's no worry of them hi jacking the service to let loose with some vile commentary. i think they're capable of being dignified. i'm surprised that this whole thing is taking such a front seat 10 years after the fact.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
And do you think she feels the same way about Andrew and Anne or does she only feel this way about Charles because it will add another reason to the people to have him duped out of his crown?
Only to Charles as Charles is next in line to the throne.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:00 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Well I think that if the Queen thought that Charles' marriage would do irreparable damage to the monarchy, she wouldn't have approved the marriage in the first place.

From what I heard the Queen encouraged the marriage because she thought the friendship was more damaging to the monarchy than a legal marriage.

But what do the Queen's personal feelings about Camilla have to do with whether Camilla attends Diana's memorial or not?
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 08-09-2007, 02:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
...the friendship...
Well, that's certainly a way of looking at, I guess...

When is this service anyway? Every avenue has been exhausted through means of opinion and I, for one, cannot wait for the day to pass!

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-09-2007, 02:39 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

August 31st!
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 08-09-2007, 03:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanking you kindly, ysbel

Is it to be broadcast?

Old 08-09-2007, 03:43 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Well I heard the BBC will broadcast it but its not on the BBC site itself so I guess we will have to wait.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 08-09-2007, 06:12 AM
Courtier

The Duchess of Cornwall will go to the ceremony by hook or by crook. Past is past, now she should live and continue to devote to her royal duties. The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will attend, would she be left alone, impossible. Come on, If Prince William and Prince Harry accept her. Why don't some people do?
Old 08-09-2007, 07:52 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephram View Post
Come on, If Prince William and Prince Harry accept her. Why don't some people do?

Do they really accept her or is it just a front to make their father happy and to keep people from talking about the relationship? Think about what the headlines would be if they didn't like her and showed in public they don't: Headlines: "The princes snubbed Camilla," "The princes call Camilla rottweiler, behind her back, just like their mother." It would be nonsense, but it would happen nonetheless. It's hard to make a guess, I guess we just have to wait until the day of the concert.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Nobility

I think Camilla would rather not go to the service but as William and Harry have invited her she probably feels she has to rather than hurt their feelings but I can just imagine all the Di-maniacs sitting watching the service while sticking pins into a wax effigy of Camilla. Charles and Diana’s marriage was over almost before it began and even if Camilla had not been on the scene it would have ended in divorce. Also, no matter who Charles took as his second wife would not be good enough for the Di-maniacs who don’t want to see anyone in their heroine’s place. They would probably be annoyed if William’s wife was called Princess of Wales as their eyes that was Diana’s title and no one else is fit to replace her. Diana was an immature, devious, self-centred actress who caused no end of problems for the royal family and in particular the queen who she constantly tried to upstage. Even from beyond the grave she is still causing trouble.
To accuse Camilla (or as Dodi's daft dad claims prince Philip) of causing her death is just silly. She died because of a drunk driver nothing more, nothing less.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I guess we just have to wait until the day of the concert.
Concert? I think you mean Memorial Service...

Quote:
Diana was an immature, devious, self-centred actress...
And your personal encounters with the late princess, in order to resolutely claim the above, took place where, exactly?

How some people believe they have a right to degrade another when they did not, and never shall know that person, is just fascinating.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, diana's death and funeral, duchess of cornwall, memorial, princess diana, princess of wales