The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M. View Post
A strange choice if it is so popular.
The Guards Chapel is breathtakingly ugly.
See picture.

By the way: it had nothing to do with the life of the late Diana, Princess of Wales, probably apart from her links to Guards Officer James Hewitt and the marriage venue of her rivale.

In all aspects a weird choice.
"Breathtakingly ugly," he says! It is, indeed. Well, I suppose the PW and PH had their reasons for it. There must have been loads of considerations to factor it, none of which we mere "mortals" are privy too, naturally.

They could not do it in the St James chapel royal or the Queen's chapel because they are closed in August and September, according to royal official site. I didn't know it until just now, as I was interested as you in why they weren't chosen.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Well yes it's ugly but it's modern and not creepy like very old buildings. It gives to this memorial a touch of new, '10 years-but-not-forgotten' feeling. I know it sounds crazy but that's what I think

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 08-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
They could not do it in the St James chapel royal or the Queen's chapel because they are closed in August and September, according to royal official site.
Euh.... I don't know how it works in Great Britain, but over here in the Netherlands the 3 royal residences which are accessible for the public are immediately (partly) closed if it pleases Her Majesty to use one of these venues.... Other three residences remain always closed.

Just a click with the fingers or a lifted eyebrow by Bea is enough to let the staff run and close the family chapel at Het Loo, for an example.

So Lillibet, click your fingers and open St. James's !

Old 08-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
In all aspects a weird choice.
They are both Guards Officers, the chapel is the official chapel of the Guards, what is weird about that?
Old 08-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
They are both Guards Officers, the chapel is the official chapel of the Guards, what is weird about that?
You mean the sons of the late Diana?

Only Prince Harry has joined the Blues and Royals I thought.
Prince William has not yet enrolled into a certain regiment.

But I mean: was this concrete building special to Diana? I would even consider the parish church in Althorp as a better choice!
Old 08-06-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
That's actually a good point. I didn't think of it. Also, in light of the recent re-opening of the Guards Museum, maybe they wanted to do their part for the regiment.

Henri, I think PW joined the Blues and Royals after his graduation from Sandhurst. I had the impression his training for the tank recon missions (which I guess he is now finished with) was in attachment to the Blues and Royals, just like PH.
Quote:
Euh.... I don't know how it works in Great Britain, but over here in the Netherlands the 3 royal residences which are accessible for the public are immediately (partly) closed if it pleases Her Majesty to use one of these venues.... Other three residences remain always closed.

Just a click with the fingers or a lifted eyebrow by Bea is enough to let the staff run and close the family chapel at Het Loo, for an example.

So Lillibet, click your fingers and open St. James's !

Come on, Henri, the British royal family and their staffers don't just "click the fingers"! You know it, they pass a million and one memos a million directions, back and forth, and then there are the "constitutional, logistical, and other" matters to write more memos about, before anything goes into effect!!
Old 08-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Royal Highness

perhaps they opted to stay away from any of the places directly associated with the RF...windsor, westminster, st. james.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
Well yes it's ugly but it's modern and not creepy like very old buildings. It gives to this memorial a touch of new, '10 years-but-not-forgotten' feeling. I know it sounds crazy but that's what I think
Well I guess creepy is in the eye of the beholder. I love the old buildings of London. Its my favorite part of visiting the city.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 08-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post

Because of the nasty reports going out, I doubt if the boys can succeed but I do admire them for trying because I don't think that Charles and the Royal House encouraged it so much. The Queen may not be media saavy but I think she predicted what would happen in the papers and I think she would have preferred to avoid it as would Charles and Camilla. The successes of their last two years together have been wiped out of the papers like they didn't even exist which is particularly unfair to Camilla.
Not for the first time, Ysbel, do I think that you're right on the money!

I don't know what The Queen thinks, but from past experience, she's against any display of pomp and circumstance surrounding private family matters.

If the gossip is true and it's Charles who's insisting on Camilla's attendance, then we can draw the conclusion that Camilla has a great deal more sensitivity and common sense than those around her. Which brings me to another reason why I dislike the idea of this memorial service.

Just who, do you think, will suffer from bad publicity, ill-will, criticism and indignation in all of this? Camilla, of course.

Who is going to suffer the odium of hypocrisy in the press? Camilla, of course.

Who suffers most when the death of Diana is continually harkened to, pronounced upon, discussed and dissected? Camilla, of course.

Diana's sons complain continually that the press won't let their mother rest in peace. But who is it, lately, who keeps thrusting her life and death into the limelight? And who does it remind ordinary people of and cause them to remember and reflect most poorly on? Camilla, of course.

As she'll be Queen one day (no matter what she's called), who deserves to have her reputation and integrity re-established and unquestioned? Camilla, of course.

This memorial does her, above everything else, a great disservice, I believe.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Aristocracy

Camilla is a very sensible woman -- I think she should take the high road and stay home and be ready to soothe the fevered brow of dear Charles who somehow has made this memorial service about him and his wants and needs. The young princes quite rightly invited Camilla, but I think they will be relieved if she politely declines.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Camilla is a very sensible woman -- I think she should take the high road and stay home and be ready to soothe the fevered brow of dear Charles who somehow has made this memorial service about him and his wants and needs.
I think it's the press, not Charles, that's turned this event into a referendum on him and Camilla. I suppose the princes thought they had to do something like this to commemorate the 10th anniversary of their mother's death, but I wonder if they realised that the publicity would mostly be about Camilla, not Diana. Even Fergie's refusal to attend seems to have got lost in the press fervour about Camilla.

And now the Diana fans are gloating about how Camilla's favourable ratings in the press are dropping - hardly surprising considering the way papers like the Daily Mail have been dripping with poison about her for weeks if not months over this issue.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think she should take the high road and stay home...
Ah, but what you percieve to be as 'taking the high road', others will see as an 'admission of guilt'.

I, myself, would not like to see Camilla go through that but it would seem no matter what her options, she's to either be a hypocritical or spineless Duchess.

I say Camilla should go and partake in a service which commemorates the life and work of Diana, Princess of Wales. Giving thanks for her life's work.

Quote:
Even Fergie's refusal to attend
Is there any particular reason as to why Sara, Duchess of York isn't attending? Was there any reason given? The way things fell apart between the two perhaps...

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
And now the Diana fans are gloating about how Camilla's favourable ratings in the press are dropping - hardly surprising considering the way papers like the Daily Mail have been dripping with poison about her for weeks if not months over this issue.
Well I"am not gloating. The press is making a big deal out of nothing I just hope the hardcore Diana Fans don't do anything to Camilla when she attends the service.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:06 AM

I hope the hardcore Diana fans aren't there in the first place. Surely our security forces aren't that stupid?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:33 AM
Serene Highness

I think Camilla should not attend service. First, it would bring too much publicity to memorial service, there is enough already. Second, there were too much controversy about Diana/Camilla/Charles story. Third, I am not sure if young princes would like to see their step-mom during that event.
I think Camilla is wise and prefers to stay home.
Unfortunately, the media is making a lot of noise about possible Camilla's presence/absence. They rehash old drama just to increase sale.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 08-07-2007, 12:41 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I hope the hardcore Diana fans aren't there in the first place. Surely our security forces aren't that stupid?
I hope you are right, there will be no more drama.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 08-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Is there any particular reason as to why Sara, Duchess of York isn't attending? Was there any reason given? The way things fell apart between the two perhaps...
Well, I think it was the Daily Mail where I read it, so feel free to apply a pinch of salt, but I gather the thought process was along the lines that she hasn't been made welcome at royal events since her divorce and she doesn't think this one is likely to be any different even though she's been invited. So she thanked the princes for their kind thought and decided to stay away.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshmi View Post
I am not sure if young princes would like to see their step-mom during that event.
It was William and Harry who invited their stepmother.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:46 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Well if Camilla could escape the broad waves of public disapproval during Diana's later life and right after Diana's death, then I think she will emerge remarkably well out from this latest storm.

I generally like Camilla but things fell out the way they did and William's and Harry's right to remember their mother I think should take precedence over Camilla's feelings especially since she so successfully overcame public disapproval before.

I was thinking that now is too soon though. Emotions are still so raw because so many who were part of the story are still alive. Before William and Harry announced the concert, I had thought that William would wait to first dedicate a memorial to his mother when he became King. By that time, the Queen would be dead as would Prince Philip, so would Charles and perhaps Camilla. By that time, Charles would have had his reign and opinions on him -good or bad - would be centered on how well he carried himself during his reign and Camilla whether as Queen or Princess Consort would be mostly judged by her own qualities in that position too.

If you take a look at the years before William is King; it still could be quite a long time. If the Queen lives to the age of 100 and reigns another 20 years and Charles just reigns for 10 years after that (a pretty short reign), that would make a Diana memorial by King William occurring no earlier than 40 years after Diana's death - a sufficient time to place some distance between the emotions of Diana's death and the memorial. If Charles lives to be 100 and reigns for 20 years then William's memorial to Diana as King would first take place 50 years after Diana's death at which point William would be in his sixties and most of his subjects wouldn't have even been alive when Diana died.

However, Polly, I think you are right in one thing. Although I think William and Harry are the main forces behind this, I think even Buckingham Palace realized that if they did nothing to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Diana's death, then others would take the initiative and it would look bad for the family that Diana married into not to do a thing to commemorate the 10th anniversary of her death while so many others would be.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 08-07-2007, 12:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Well, I think it was the Daily Mail where I read it, so feel free to apply a pinch of salt, but I gather the thought process was along the lines that she hasn't been made welcome at royal events since her divorce and she doesn't think this one is likely to be any different even though she's been invited. So she thanked the princes for their kind thought and decided to stay away.
Thanks for the reply, Elspeth.

I can empathise with her reasons for sending an inability.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, diana's death and funeral, duchess of cornwall, memorial, princess diana, princess of wales