The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
And as btsnyder says, memorial services are for the living and unless the dead leave a guest list, you just turn up.
Ha! Great point BF - I think I'll start making up my guest list this weekend!

Old 08-03-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
While I liked Diana, I stronly feel that Camilla is a better match for Charles and as such will make a more appropriate consort than Diana would have made. That's what I meant---and should have said. And, yet again, we are off topic!!
Yes again, off topic, but very well stated, and totally true!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
If I were William or Harry, I would not invite Charles and Camila.
Posted by Avalon
There are about million things I would or would not do, If I were William or Harry.
The fact is, they had invited their father and their stepmother to the memorial. Both will attend because it is important for the boys.
Another well-stated point, and yet more wisdom. Here is the simple truth. It is a personal matter, a deeply personal matter, and all the more so because of the complications! It is none of our business who or why is invited to this memorial service. So far, I am rather impressed with the gesture of the Princes William and Harry in inviting, even urging, that their stepmother will be there, and inviting the Fayed family, given all the murky relations with Mo. It shows how big-hearted they are, and how well they lay down the hatchet when appropriate. It is also good of them to also let it be a memorial service for the two others who died in that crash.

I've already expressed my frustration about the "camp" stuff. I will only one more thing about it. That is, it seems to me that there is a tendency of people to either worship Diana or to say she was "nothing, poor educated, attention seeking". I think it is important to remember this woman as a person who had some very serious problems, but also had some very shining qualities. There is very few things in the world that are either BAD or GOOD. Most things are both. We have extremes, yes, but they are rare if you think of it, just that, EXTREME, rather than MAINSTREAM.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
It shows how big-hearted they are
Sorry but it shows how media savvy they are. Or stupid. I have this grim image of a bald Egyptian suddenly rising up and shouting, "It was Prince Philip, and the CIA, and MI6 and Lord Lucan! They did it!". Seriously though, if they didn't invite Mo and his clan they'd be a media field day. Do you really think the Queen would want people like Earl Moneybags and Passport Mo around her unless there was face to lose? I think she'll just about stomach Raine Spencer but the rest of the Spitting Image cast will I think, have a limited time in the presence of the Royal Family before going back to their boxes.

Quote:
I think it is important to remember this woman as a person who had some very serious problems
I think it's very important to remember that this woman is dead. People tend to talk about her as if she's been playing hide and seek for the past 10 years and is going to shock the world by coming into the memorial service half way through. People saying that Camilla shouldn't go and the Al-Fayeds should be up front and the Queen should carry a martyr's cross are actually robbing the whole event of any dignity it might have had which is ironic when you think about it.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Royal Highness

does it really matter whether diana would want her there or not...SHE'S DEAD. she can't think or react. and if the reasoning that "if she were alive..." doesn't really wash either because if she were alive then we wouldn't even be having this discussion. the service will no doubt be a celebration of her as a mother and humanitarian not how she felt about camilla or charles or the royal family. IMO it would be in extremely bad taste if anything negative were mentioned including how the media chased her, her unsuccessful marriage, etc. it is a celebration of all the good things she did and represented.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Royal Highness

It is a bit of a useless discussion. What's the point?
It has been announced that the royal family, including the present spouse of Prince Charles, will attend the memorial service.

Both the Prince and the late Diana were unfaithful in their marriage. Yet I have not heard protests against Prince Charles attending the memorial while, for some posters, the Duchess should remain home....

A bit of an inconsequence. By full sense of mind and body, both agreed to separate and to divorce. In fact Prince Charles's business with the late Diana herself has ended long before her untimely death. But no one winks the eye with the prospect that the separated, divorced and possibly loathed first spouse will be in the front bench to commemorate his separated, divorced and possibly loathed first spouse....

If Charles can be there. Camilla for sure can. And absolutely when Diana's sons, no any other persons have more right to speak 'on behalf of' Diana, have invited their stepmother.

Who are we to say 'should she or should she not?'
Old 08-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Earlier in the thread, there have been unpleasant posts regarding the familiar Diana/Camilla camps.

Please no more talking about Diana and Camilla camps or arguing again whether Diana or Camilla is better. To keep the thread on track, just give your opinions whether Camilla should attend the memorial service and your reasons why or why not. Offtopic posts will be deleted.

British forum moderators
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 08-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Please no more talking about Diana and Camilla camps or arguing again whether Diana or Camilla is better. To keep the thread on track, just give your opinions whether Camilla should attend the memorial service and your reasons why or why not. Offtopic posts will be deleted.

British forum moderators

IMHO Camilla most definitely should attend because she has been asked to do so by her stepsons.

As they are the ones who decided to have the memorial service in the first place who they invite should attend to remember their mother.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:02 AM
Royal Highness

Camilla, has been invited to attend a memorial honoring her step-children's mother. As she is a loved member of the family, she should attend.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 08-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Nobility

I'm not fan of Camilla, but neither Diana, but I think that she should not go,even she's invited by the princes, they have accepted her in their life, as the wife of their dad, and even they can love her, but a think it's terrible taste to go to the memorial of the person you hurt by your acts
Old 08-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lis View Post
I'm not fan of Camilla, but neither Diana, but I think that she should not go,even she's invited by the princes, they have accepted her in their life, as the wife of their dad, and even they can love her, but a think it's terrible taste to go to the memorial of the person you hurt by your acts
What about Prince Charles then, to remain consequent in your thought?
Old 08-04-2007, 01:20 PM

Well yes, a good point Henri M. All the reasons given as to why Camilla shouldn't go actually are applicable by the logic with which they're presented, to Charles.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Nobility

Exactly he shoudn't go either, but he's going that's a fact
Old 08-04-2007, 01:52 PM

So who should be going in your view?
Old 08-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lis View Post
Exactly he shoudn't go either, but he's going that's a fact
Let us turn it the other way round. I would not be surprised if Mr. Dodi al-Fayed and his spouse Lady Diana al-Fayed née Spencer formerly Mountbatten-Windsor would have been invited for the Prince's second marriage or for the new King's Coronation.

Diana went on with her life. And Charles with his. And the sons with theirs.
Only parts of the public remains standstill to 10 or 15 years ago.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Serene Highness

Camilla should not attend Diana's memorial service, says public poll

Camilla should not attend Diana's memorial service, says public poll | the Daily Mail
Old 08-05-2007, 07:35 PM

A public poll of who exactly? Notice only 1001 people took part and that every result was rounded up. It really is laughable. I hope Camilla isn't losing sleep over this. The majority of the public couldn't care less about the entire event, let alone whether HRH goes or not.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well Camilla is still going to the Princess of Wales' memorial service so this dailymail article is of no importance.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Well Camilla is still going to the Princess of Wales' memorial service so this dailymail article is of no importance.
Maybe so, yes probably, but the picture of Camilla on it is nice!
Old 08-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Courtier

With all due respect, it is of importance to many who care about the royal family and/or the late Diana.

I don't know whether or not it's true,but I read that Camilla does not wish to go but that Charles is insisting as he's worried about her non-attendance looking like 'guilt'.

My view is that I think it exceptionally crass that the service is being held at all and that Charles' family, nearly all of whom heartily disliked Diana and she them, are attending. Wanting to do it for the 'boys' is not valid, either. Neither of Diana's sons are boys any longer. William's grandmother was only five minutes older than he is now when she became Queen, for instance.

My impression is that it's a media-PR exercise in the worst possible taste, and I'm terribly disappointed in many of the protagonists for going along with it.

I'm also trying to find any record of a memorial service for any monarch, 10 years after her/his death, much less an ex-royal family member. I'd be grateful if those who know of any could let us know.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:04 PM

Ugh. Roll on Republic.

Tags
camilla, diana's death and funeral, duchess of cornwall, memorial, princess diana, princess of wales