The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Considering the attention the article has received on this board the paper is obviously read by many different kinds of people.
The title of the thread is what is triggering all of the hits. Since this is a rumour in a gossip mag may I suggest that the thread be re named Rumors about....When I googled Camilla and alcholic no matches . When I googled Camilla and rehab I got the royal forum thread, the Globe, and some articles about her changing image. AND on google it comes up as a statement not a question.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Excellent point, sthreats.

A possible change in the topics name, perhaps? We afterall don't wish to fuel this nonsense...

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 02-03-2008, 08:16 AM
Courtier

The globe is such a joke magazine here in the US. It's total nonsense. Honestly, that magazine is considered fiction and eveyone laughs at it. I wouldn't even call it a tabloid magazine. It's an insult to other tabloids.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
What, and blurred out the bottle of gin in a brown paper bag HRH was hiding under her coat? This story is 100% false, to even entertain the idea of it being true is ridiculous. If she was an alcoholic we'd know by now. If you are, it's impossible to hide.
Too true. Yep, you can see alcoholism in the face overtime, and it doesn't take so many years as we have been seeing Camilla. I see celebrities often whom I suspect have terrible alcoholism. Camilla does look much too good for this to be true. For her age, oh yes, much too good.

But speaking of the yellow press, headlines.... I never even notice them in the grocery stores anymore, because I am a self-checkout girl, but the other day, my mom was telling me about one she saw in the checkout, about Camilla and William "being at war"!
Old 02-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Courtier

rehab is so out...psych wards are in right now...LOL
Old 02-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Nobility

Quote:
What, and blurred out the bottle of gin in a brown paper bag HRH was hiding under her coat? This story is 100% false, to even entertain the idea of it being true is ridiculous. If she was an alcoholic we'd know by now. If you are, it's impossible to hide.
That is true. It would have been obvious long ago.
Lexi
Old 02-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreats View Post
The title of the thread is what is triggering all of the hits. Since this is a rumour in a gossip mag may I suggest that the thread be re named Rumors about....When I googled Camilla and alcholic no matches . When I googled Camilla and rehab I got the royal forum thread, the Globe, and some articles about her changing image. AND on google it comes up as a statement not a question.
Good point. I will change the title.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Nobility

I tried to change the title, I am not sure it worked.
Lexi
Old 02-03-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Too true. Yep, you can see alcoholism in the face overtime, and it doesn't take so many years as we have been seeing Camilla.
Well I wasn't so much thinking of the red face but the daily duties she'd be performing under the influence. I mean, some alcoholics do. The late Yootha Joyce, a British actress, died in her 50s from liver failure. At the inquest it was revealed that she'd be drinking a bottle of optics gin a day for 5 years, yet she'd turned up to the Granada studios for roughly 7 months a year to film. Whilst heavily under the influence, she sailed through the script and delivered her lines perfectly. It just didn't seem to affect her. So unless Camilla's blessed with a staggeringly robust constitution, we'd surely hear of her slurring her "And what do you do?"s and we'd see a little wobble every now and then?
Old 02-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi4 View Post
I tried to change the title, I am not sure it worked.
Lexi
Don't worry lexi, I changed the titles. Good catch sthreats for noting this page coming up in Google searches.

Believe it or not, others out there do pay attention to what we write here.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Don't worry lexi, I changed the titles. Good catch sthreats for noting this page coming up in Google searches.

Believe it or not, others out there do pay attention to what we write here.
Thank you Ysbel.
That is a good lesson for me to be careul what I use as a title in the future.
Lexi
Old 02-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Serene Highness

complete rubbish, not worth the paper it's printed on, in a tab nobody takes seriously. stupid stupid stupid (alto those inept clarence house toadies would make me need a couple of martini's)
Old 02-03-2008, 01:11 PM

See, why doesn't Clarence House haul these monkeys into a libel court? One landmark ruling and it'd solve alot of problems.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
See, why doesn't Clarence House haul these monkeys into a libel court? One landmark ruling and it'd solve alot of problems.
Check post 8.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi4 View Post
Thank you Ysbel.
That is a good lesson for me to be careul what I use as a title in the future.
Lexi
That's OK, lexi - it might not be bad for people who Google on Camilla and Rehab to have read some of the comments in this thread about the unreliablilty of the yellow press! Might help give them a reality check on what's worth believing and what isn't.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
That's OK, lexi - it might not be bad for people who Google on Camilla and Rehab to have read some of the comments in this thread about the unreliablilty of the yellow press! Might help give them a reality check on what's worth believing and what isn't.
True enough. Anything to sell a paper, I guess.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Nobility

In the United States, libel cases aren't easy to prove, especially in the case of public figures. Because of a landmark Supreme Court Case, Times vs. Sullivan, actual malice must be proved before bringing suit.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Serene Highness

carol burnett won a case against the enquirer on this very subject. they said she was drunk somewhere and she proved she doesn't drink and pursued it on principle and WON
Old 02-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
carol burnett won a case against the enquirer on this very subject. they said she was drunk somewhere and she proved she doesn't drink and pursued it on principle and WON
That would be the exception, not the rule. It was unusual. And that was after the California Supreme Court scaled back the punitive damages while the case was on appeal. What we don't know is whether Carol would have won the case had it ever made it to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Lexi
Old 02-03-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Well I wasn't so much thinking of the red face but the daily duties she'd be performing under the influence. I mean, some alcoholics do. The late Yootha Joyce, a British actress, died in her 50s from liver failure. At the inquest it was revealed that she'd be drinking a bottle of optics gin a day for 5 years, yet she'd turned up to the Granada studios for roughly 7 months a year to film. Whilst heavily under the influence, she sailed through the script and delivered her lines perfectly. It just didn't seem to affect her. So unless Camilla's blessed with a staggeringly robust constitution, we'd surely hear of her slurring her "And what do you do?"s and we'd see a little wobble every now and then?
Yes, I think it would be much harder for Camilla to conceal something like this. With actors of a bygone age where everything about their lives was protected in a way that doesn't exist today, it's a different matter. But Camilla could not hide it. Like you said, she is seen on a busy week every other day, sometimes back to back days, shaking hands and probably sometimes (unintentionally) breathing on people,which if she was an alcoholic, people would not like.

Tags
camilla, celebrities, duchess of cornwall, tabloid press