The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-08-2016, 04:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I think its pretty hard for someone who's never met Anne to say she is insensitive and rude, she may appear that way in public but no one knows for sure what she is like in private. The footage we saw on the BBC docu from the early days of their childhood shows two children very happy in each others company and having fun, all children argue and fight and yes they are both extreme personalities so I'm for their childhood it was quite heated at times.
er well if she's rude in public, where she should be trying to seem pleasant, she's hardly going to restrain herself in private.
and Philip is a bit of a bully, too...

Old 09-08-2016, 05:39 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I've just always viewed Anne as being a serious, staid and sedate kind of person who isn't frivolous in the least bit. When she is in public, she's there for a reason and that reason is first and foremost in her mind.

Its just her personality.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-08-2016, 11:53 PM
Serene Highness

Yes a grim determination to do her job, even if she clearly does not like the public. I really feel that she screams "I hate being on show, I hate the royal job and these tiresome people".
Charles, for all his awkwardness, clearly DOES care about people. he can't show it easily but he does what he does, because he cares, and wants to do good for his country and for people in general. He can be bad tempered at times, like the best of us, but not habitually grumpy..
I agreed with I think it was Curryong who said that as a child it was obvious he was a nervous litte boy who was anxous to get things right.. and In a way he still is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I've Father and son just haven't much in common, and the resentments of youth linger for years after people might be expected to just get over it.
I think Philip is very often right in theory, but his rough manner makes people who are less "tough" feel battered by him. I think he's right about Edward quitting the Marines, he could have stuck out the training. (and God knows Ed hasn't done anything much since then). And he meant well by sending C to Gordonstoun, it was away from the Press, it was a school he had done well at and he believed that it would let Charles be an ordinary boy. But it wasn't a good fit for Charles, he'd have been better at Eton where there were lots of royal pupils and where being artistic or wanting to study the humanitiies wasn't considered odd or less important than being tough or good at sports.
I think Chalrles would have done better there, and come out less tensed up and resenting his father for sending him there.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Anne is one of the busiest members of the BRF and is very businesslike about her royal duties, but she can be a bit, shall we say, brusque, especially with members of the public.

There was a story I read years ago about an old dear who had stood for ages to meet her at one of her engagements, carrying a little basket of flowers from her own garden that she had made up into a nice little display for Anne. HRH took the gift but apparently wasn't very gracious on hearing of the effort, just said "What a waste of time!"
This left the old lady feeling a bit deflated and upset.

Surely one of the major qualities needed for a member of royalty at engagements is to leave members of the public who go to see them with a feeling of excitement, magic almost, a feeling that the Royal seen was not only relatable and friendly but also gracious and cheerful? Also leaving the public with a wish to see them again next time they come to that area. That's how I feel, anyway.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Anne is one of the busiest members of the BRF and is very businesslike about her royal duties, but she can be a bit, shall we say, brusque, especially with members of the public.

Thereonly relatable and friendly but also gracious and cheerful? Also leaving the public with a wish to see them again next time they come to that area. That's how I feel, anyway.
As I recall that story, it was reported at Christmas, and I know i saw it in the papers.. that an old lady had been waiting outside the church to see the RF, (I think she had soem flowers) and told Anne that she'd been waiting for ages.. and Anne said "well that was a stupid thing to do" or soemthing like that.
And she does stuff like that a lot.
I dont see much point in doing a lot of engagements if you are frequently rude to the people who come to see you. Frankly I'd be only too glad to see Anne disappear from the royal rota.. She makes it so obvious that she does not like the job, or the people and she can harldy bother to try and put on a polite face a lot of the time
Old 09-09-2016, 05:24 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The views on people from a snapshot from crappy tabloid information is positively hilarious.

It's amazing how it's one rule for one, and one for another. When Philip is honest/brusque it's amusing. When Anne is too the point, she's rude.

Anne knows who she is, and she does her duty and if she didn't want to she probably wouldn't.

Also; since when was Anne Charles' parent? Check the thread title people.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I can remember Charles visiting a country house when he was a teenager and it turned out there was mumps in the family. He was past puberty then and apparently his minders were beside themselves because of the obvious implications on the Royal fertility if he contracted it, which he didn't!

Chicken pox, measles, scarlet fever etc whipped through boarding schools in those days, probably. The Queen was so removed from this, she probably never had those usual childhood illnesses, tucked away as she was at home.

Charles was the first direct heir to the throne to go to boarding school on a full time basis from an early age. The future Edward VIII did have some experience of it when he attended naval college with his brother Bertie, but he was quite a few years older.

I think it was good for Charles to go away to school but I certainly don't think it was a happy experience at the time. Philip's choices of his old schools for Charles didn't resonate with his son. Philip's personality is almost the direct opposite of Charles in practically every way.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:26 AM
Majesty

While Philip and Charles may seem polar opposites, it is interesting to note that both are accomplished artists. This makes me wonder just how much else they have in common and because we haven't got the faintest clue, we relegate it to a Black Swan.

The truth about these two men's relationship may be far more complex and intriguing than any of us could possibly imagine.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:07 AM
Heir Apparent

I do think they are both deeply religious and share an interest in the diverse religions of the world, actually. This might be inherited from Prince Philip's mother Princess Alice, or even from Queen Victoria's daughter Alice, who was Philip's great-grandmother. I was surprised to read in a Giles Brandreth biography years ago that Philip has a large library containing works on philosophy and religion.

However, I don't know whether the two men are comfortable enough in each other's company to have long philosophical discussions. There have been too many witnesses over the years (not just tabloid gossip) to Prince Philip's downright irritation with his son, with his hectoring and taunting of Charles, even the adult Charles, in front of others, to make that more than a remote possibility. Philip might have mellowed with age, but...
Old 09-14-2016, 05:46 AM
Serene Highness

I tink he has and so ha Charles. I think when he was in his 20s he ws at odds with his father, not surprising.. and in his 30s, I think his unhappy marriage made him snarlier and not close to his parents. I'm sure that Philip was then saying things like "take a mistress and shut up whining" or " DONT take a mistress in case of scandal but just shut up whining."
I don't think that Phil is as "non intellectual" as his public image suggests, I think he's quite intelligent and interested in ideas, like Charles, but unlike Charles he is more practical and not likely to get bogged down in emotion and sentiment.
I'd say as C has grown older and is now happily married, he is calmer and problaby gets on better with botht parents...
Old 09-16-2016, 06:31 AM
Aristocracy

Charles and Anne probably lost out in the parental attention stakes as young children when Elizabeth was thrust onto the throne at an earlier than assumed age, given her father had died a relatively young man.
There was quite a lot to take on and family whilst not ignored probably had to take a place down the attention table abiet in exellent non parental care.
When the Queen and Duke had their "second" family, they were in a much more secure position and again, probably had more time to give to Andrew and Edward. By then Charles and Anne were old enough not to need the same attention babies and toddlers do.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
Cha
There was quite a lot to take on and family whilst not ignored probably had to take a place down the attention table abiet in exellent non parental care.
W.
I think that they were if not exactly ignored by their parents not doted on either. It wasn't just after she became Queen, she left them home and lived in Malta with Philip, for a while.
By the standards of the time, I suppose Phil and the queen weren't that different tot many upper class parents..but I think that Charles was a shy soft child who felt excluded by his parents.
Then Andrew came along and seems to have been the queen's favourite, and Edward was the youngest..So i should think that Charles felt short changed all the way. Anne was Philip's favourite and probably didn't mind her parents not being around as much as Charles did. Then Chas saw his 2 younger brothters getting a lot of attention and affection that he hadn't had.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:27 PM
Majesty

Having raised three children, I heard an expression once that has stuck with me. It goes "The job of a parent is to become unnecessary to the child". Using this as a means of measure, both Philip and Elizabeth have done an excellent job raising Charles. He is perhaps the most well prepared Heir Apparent in the world.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-16-2016, 04:53 PM
Serene Highness

IS he? I don't think they did a great job. I think that they made him shyer and more nervy than he needed to be, and left him with something of a whiny personality which has put people off him. And I think that's because they sent him somewhere cold showery like Gordonstoun where he felt lonely and disliked and that's made him want a lot of fuss and attention made of him.
Had he gone somewhere like Eton he would have met people who were more intellectual and interested in his interests, and where he would have been one of many royals. whereas at Gord he was shunned by people who felt that if they were nice to him it was sucking up to him because of his position.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:32 PM
Majesty

When you really think about it, parents, no matter if they're doting or absent in a child's life really don't have that much influence on a child's basic temperament or their natural inclinations. However, parents can take steps to help the child deal with certain issues such as insecurities which I believe was a big part of Charles' childhood. Perhaps this was the intent behind Philip insisting on Gordonstoun. Help Charles to "buck up and face the world around him".

Although Charles hated Gordonstoun with a passion, there are life long habits that came from that education. He still takes cold showers and is passionate about keeping fit and takes brisk walks for relaxation. One of the most amusing stories about Charles' school days there was when he ducked into a local pub and being asked what he wanted to drink, he replied "cherry brandy" as that's what someone would go to a pub for. Definitely underage, the barkeep felt he couldn't refuse Charles.
― John Lennon
Old 09-16-2016, 05:49 PM
Serene Highness

Yes thtat was when he was being harassed by the press and he didn't know what to ask for but he had had cherry brandy out hunting.
I think that Philip felt that because Gord had been good for him, it would be good for Charles but I think it exacerbated his faults, and made him weaker and more "wobbly" than he might be. I feel had he had more sympathetic parents, he might have developed more self confidence and not felt the need for being spoiled, and fussed over that he has.
Of course Phil MEANT well but he is a bti of a bully and didn't think that he might be hurting his son, by "toughening him up."
And I do like Charles, he is a decent guy and well meaning but for a while, I think that his weak side was very much in evidence during his bad marriage and it lost him sympathy. He was unhappy, and he whined. And he was seen by the public as needing servants to do everything, which lost him respect and liking..
Old 09-16-2016, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

He still takes cold showers, voluntarily? I think that's the strangest piece of information I have ever heard about Charles. Why on earth would anyone who didn't have to, have a cold shower? I'm shivering just thinking about it. I suppose that's one way to guarantee that no-one will ever want to shower with you.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:12 PM
Serene Highness

He may find it refreshing. People do all sorts (IMO) of ridiculous things to relax.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
He still takes cold showers, voluntarily? I think that's the strangest piece of information I have ever heard about Charles. Why on earth would anyone who didn't have to, have a cold shower? I'm shivering just thinking about it. I suppose that's one way to guarantee that no-one will ever want to shower with you.
I'm trying desperately to remember just where I read that tidbit of information and coming up with a blank. I'm thinking it was the Dimbleby biography. He did, however, start a "snub the tub" thing. He even recycles bath water to water the plants.

Prince Charles urges British families to 'snub the bathtub' | Daily Mail Online

In a nutshell, a lot of Charles' childhood had a lot of impact on the man he is today. There were both positives and negatives that came out of his relationship with his parents as a child and as an adult. I think that can be true for just about anyone though.
― John Lennon
Old 09-16-2016, 06:34 PM
Serene Highness

I suppose that even if he hated Gordonstoun he got into various habits there, such as taking a lot of violent exercise, and he has problaby found that a stress buster over the Years and stuck with it. I'd hate it but that's him.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince charles, prince of wales, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii, relationships