Relationship of the Royal Family with The Duchess of Cornwall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mary Wellesley

Warren said:
I'd be careful placing too much credence on these sorts of newspaper reports. You have to ask "why would Camilla be indignant?" And whatever the outcome of the precedence issue, Camilla would hardly hold Sophie responsible - HM perhaps, but not the Countess of Wessex. The seating arrangements for the Royal carrriages is not something that would have been left to the last moment; as we know the planning for these things is generally meticulous.

It seems to me that the journalists are just trying to create or manufacture a "rivalry" between Camilla and Sophie in the hope they can turn it into a long-running "feud".
This is not the first time by any means that stories Camilla doesn't like Sophie have surfaced.Sophie worked in P.R don't forget.On the basis the story keeps reappearing and that there's no smoke without fire I'd say it's true,and it gives a glimpse into the real Camilla.The only one she tiptoes round is the Queen who can still make or break her,she doesn't have to bother with the other Royals.

Re:

The Daily Mail is a very unreliable source but there could be some truth in the Princess Anne part.

*To show the regard for the Daily Mail, check out the 'Daily Mail 'O Matic' which creates headlines similar to those that are well known to appear on the cover of the newspaper. Some favourites of mine include;

DO SINGLE MOTHERS CHEAT THE QUEEN?

DO IMMIGRANTS RIP OFF THE CHURCH?

WILL CHERIE BLAIR DESTROY YOUR MORTGAGE?

WILL LESBIANS DEFRAUD YOUR PENSION?

WILL POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GIVE HOUSE PRICES CANCER?

The Daily Mail O'Matic :)

Mary Wellesley said:
This is not the first time by any means that stories Camilla doesn't like Sophie have surfaced.Sophie worked in P.R don't forget.On the basis the story keeps reappearing and that there's no smoke without fire I'd say it's true,and it gives a glimpse into the real Camilla.The only one she tiptoes round is the Queen who can still make or break her,she doesn't have to bother with the other Royals.
I think the more-level headed of us will prefer to see some evidence, rather than third-party gossip, before accepting this sort of tittle-tattle as gospel truth. Mary, you seem very determined to push this issue. Do you have anything of substance to offer as evidence? And thank you for resurrecting my post, now quite some months old.

Warren

Mary Wellesley

Alexandria said:
Before Camilla's engagement to Charles, there would've been no reason for Camilla to appear alongside him at official events or to have made an appearance on the balcony. She had no official role in his life in connection to his work as the Prince of Wales. But now as the Duchess of Cornwall, Camilla represents the monarchy as any of the other members of the royal household do, such as Princess Anne, the Earl and Countess of Wessex, Princess Alexandra, etc.

As for the Queen and Camilla's personal relationship, in the 70s, Camilla and the Queen's social circles overlapped a fair amount as they were both into equestrian events and such related activity. I don't think they ever socialized extensively then but they certainly had many known acquantiances in common.

I'm sure the Queen does not like the actions of her own son and Camilla in carrying on an affair and dragging the monarchy through such a scandal. But I've heard from a variety of sources that as the Queen and Camilla's personalities are quite similar and they both share a great love of the country and horses, had it not been for the affair, Camilla and the Queen could've been very good friends.
As the Queen has put duty before personal happiness all her life I don't know if she would agree her personality and Camilla's are similar.There was a programme on U.K television that said we marry the person who looks like our primary care giver in infancy.Camilla's face was superimposed on Charles's old nanny Mabel Anderson.It was spooky they are so alike.Charles has married his nanny,mother figure,lover all rolled into one,but does that make her Queen material?

Mary Wellesley

branchg said:
I agree. The matter of Camilla's precedence and similar issues were all worked out and decided before she married Prince Charles. Camilla knew that by choosing to be known as Duchess of Cornwall, rather than Princess of Wales, she would have to take precedence after the princesses of the blood royal but before Sophie, Countess of Wessex.

I highly doubt Camilla has rivalries with anyone in the royal family at this point. Her main concern is being supportive of Charles and his duties.

I don't think Camilla wanted to get married at all until questions about her upkeep and the books of the Duchy of Cornwall were queried in Parliament,the speed of last April's nuptials was breathtaking.All the awkward questions also stopped didn't they?Camilla only has to accommodate one lady in the Royal fold-the Queen,the rest I suspect can like her or lump her,does that make her Queen material?

Mary Wellesley said:
As the Queen has put duty before personal happiness all her life I don't know if she would agree her personality and Camilla's are similar.There was a programme on U.K television that said we marry the person who looks like our primary care giver in infancy.Camilla's face was superimposed on Charles's old nanny Mabel Anderson.It was spooky they are so alike.Charles has married his nanny,mother figure,lover all rolled into one,but does that make her Queen material?
So based on a television program you are now asserting that Charles has married his nanny? Spooky indeed.

Re:

There was a programme on U.K television that said we marry the person who looks like our primary care giver in infancy
Very interesting. I was looked after by a nanny and yet I'm gay. I don't remember my nanny being particularly butch or looking like Leonardo Di Caprio so that theory has a few problems to it.

Mary Wellesley said:
I don't think Camilla wanted to get married at all until questions about her upkeep and the books of the Duchy of Cornwall were queried in Parliament,the speed of last April's nuptials was breathtaking.All the awkward questions also stopped didn't they?
I think the startling revelations in relation to Charles accounts were that, yes, he paid for Camilla's upkeep, just as he does now. But since the income from the Duchy of Cornwall is his own, I guess he is free to spend his money as he pleases, just like you and I.

While I applaud your efforts Mary to expose the "real Camilla", the Daily Mail is not a reputable paper to put your faith in. It is a tabloid plain and simple.

I cannot imagine someone taking offense to Sophie. Sophie is a very kind person IMHO.

The theory about marrying the nanny might be true in Charles' case. Charles lacked love and attention back then and turns to the woman who gives him that and completely turns the monarchy on it head. However, I don't think everyone marries their "nanny".

Mary Wellesley said:
Daily Mail had an article that said she doesn't really have a relationship with any of the Royals.Apparently Camilla went to the Garter ceremony at Windsor by car with the Duchess of Gloucester but deserted her without explanation to make the return journey in Charles's carriage with him.Same article said Camilla doesn't like Sophie Wessex and calls her an "irrelevance"and was annoyed to be put in the carriage with her at Trooping the Colour in June.Anne it is said is very cool with Camilla out of loyalty to Andrew Parker Bowles her former love.Anne didn't talk to Diana either and was reported as snubbing Cherie Blair recently.Is there anyone Anne does talk to?That leaves the Queen and the Mail article said Camilla is scared of her and visibly shakes if she enters the room.True or not you can't have a relationship with someone who has that effect on you.Camilla's sister Annabel Elliot is a regular visitor to all her homes,but none of the Royals have been invited so far.Annabel helped Charles and Camilla to keep their affair going and has also taken on work redecorating Duchy of Cornwall properties for the Prince which never went out to tender.No one will say what she was paid.

Mary Wellesley said:
Daily Mail had an article that said she doesn't really have a relationship with any of the Royals.
Mary, you who live in the UK, you must be very aware that the Daily Mail is a shameless tabloid (even through its reporters are convinced they are the greatest thing to ever happen to British journalism).
The article you refer to is by Richard Kay, a mythomaniac nutter if there was ever one. I would not even ask him the time of the day for fear he would made it up.
The point is: disregard anything he write (about Camilla, Diana or the single mothers who cheat the Queen).

Last edited:
I wonder where the Daily Mail is getting all this inside information about the royal family without Diana telling Richard Kay directly.

The Daily Mail is hardly a reputable piece of information to base anything on. It is well-known that Camilla was friendly with Princess Anne for many years, so the assertion that Anne "ignores" her is ridiculous. And Burrell made clear in his biography that Princess Anne was very supportive of Diana as well.

I suspect it is probably true that she and Sophie may not enjoy a particularly warm relationship, but this may reflect the fact that Charles dislikes his brother and his wife, rather than any personal issue between Sophie and Camilla. Charles doesn't particularly care for Andrew either, so again there may be animosity that goes back to the royal family's relationships.

It certainly is true the Queen was very reluctant indeed to embrace Camilla and was quite adamant about it until the Queen Mother passed away. But, I highly doubt she is anything but kind and warm to her new daughter-in-law, whom she has known for many years, but it's probably fair to say the Queen will keep a certain distance.

Hah, that O'Matic is hilarious!

COULD TEACHERS INFECT THE QUEEN WITH AIDS?

COULD CHERIE BLAIR ROB THE QUEEN BLIND?

COULD CHANNEL 4 LEAD THE MIDDLE CLASS ASTRAY?

WILL THE FRENCH CHEAT YOUR PENSION?

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Re:

Gloriana - it's not funny. I think I've actually seen those Headlines in the Daily Mail!! ;)

BeatrixFan said:
Very interesting. I was looked after by a nanny and yet I'm gay. I don't remember my nanny being particularly butch or looking like Leonardo Di Caprio so that theory has a few problems to it.

What happens if you didn't have a nanny, does this mean you don't get married. What if your principle carer was your mum, does this mean you will be lesbians? All the quotes from Mary seem to have come from a forum that the mirror ran until a few weeks ago. All of the arguements against Camilla were made up by members of the Diana circle who posted on the site.

Princess Anne regularly rode out with Camilla for years. I don't think the Queen was against Camilla, she knew that she had to introduce her regard for her slowly.
As I understand it, Clarence House advisors and the Queen told them they had to marry or part, (Jonathon Dimbleby programme a few weeks ago). They felt people would not accept a King with a mistress at his side, if anything happened to the Queen.
Charles was also annoyed that because of protocol at a society wedding, as they were unmarried they were seated apart and the only way to stop this ever happening again, was to marry.
Having said that I believe they married because they are so much in love!
Does Mary have the date of the Daily Mail article, my friend has lots of old copies I can look through (she uses them to put in the dogs kennels).;)

If you go into getty there are pictures from the Norway visit and there are pictures of the royals. I don't know I think they are leaving the Norge yacht and Camilla is kissing Sophie and Anne I think goodbye.

what is the getty website?

love_cc said:
Here are more peaceful and progressive opinions to see Charles and Camilla's future as King and Princess Consort.

I don't necessarily believe that we all have to be supportive or behind Charles and Camilla as King and Queen, but I do appreciate the peaceful and mature exchange of opinons. ysabel and Incas both offered intelligent and thoughtful comments to which there were reciprical replies which agreed and disagreed with their opinons. No names were called or attacks made towards other members or their nationality and that is refreshing in this forum of late.

I hope that this spirit of intelligent and thoughtful discussion, whatever your opinon on thsi subject, continues. It has made this forum interesting again for me.

Mary Wellesley said:

The nanny in the photo was not Mable Anderson. I saw the photo from Dimblebly's book and the note. It is Camilla's personality attracting Charles. Her warmth, understanding and steadiness, optimism, and humor.

Queen Mother and Camilla

I don't know if anyone has brought up this question/topic... but I was wondering how did the Queen Mother feel about Camilla? Seeing how they married after she died, I was just wondering if that was a factor or not?

There are some conflicting pieces of evidence here:

1. They didn't marry while she was alive leads many people to claim that the QM didn't care for Camilla - at least as a wife.

2. She leant them her home in Scotland so she did approve of Camilla - at least as a mistress.

3. Charles has given a lot of the QM's jewellery, including the engagement ring, to Camilla and surely he wouldn't do that if he knew that his grandmother disapproved of that action as he absolutely adored his grandmother.

4. Charles has married Camilla and has moved her into the QM's residences in Scotland and in London - again surely he wouldn't do that if he knew that his beloved grandmother didn't approve.

I think that she liked Camilla a lot but was also aware of the circumstances by which she became the Queen Consort and thus she wanted them to wait until after her death so as not to cause her to be in a compromised position of becoming Queen due to the desire of the King to marry a divorced woman which is what her grandson wanted (and subsequently has done) to do. Whether she ever actually said something directly to Charles on this issue or whether Charles realised it himself we will probably never know.

One thing I am sure about - she would be delighted to see how happy her grandson is now that he has married his soulmate and I am sure that she would have wanted that for him from the beginning.

I think only problem QM had with camilla is she had no royal blood. If Prince charles was not been a crown prince it would have ok to marry her in beginning.

She had as much royal blood as did Diana - both being descendents of Charles II.

Camilla's family was the lower end of the top level of society whereas Diana's was somewhat further up but they both came from the aristocracy levels. Camilla's grandfather was a baron putting him at the lowest level of the aristocracy. Diana's father and grandfather were Earls the third level of arisocratic titles - Dukes and Marquesses being higher, with Viscounts and Barons being lower.

There wasn't that much difference in their background. Camilla believed in enjoying being a teenager in the 60s so she wasn't 'pure' and had had a past (which was fine for the wife of the second son of the monarch but in 1981 some believed that the wife of the heir had to be a virgin).

One thing I am sure about - she would be delighted to see how happy her grandson is now that he has married his soulmate and I am sure that she would have wanted that for him from the beginning.

Quite right iluvebertie. :)

I think only problem QM had with camilla is she had no royal blood. If Prince charles was not been a crown prince it would have ok to marry her in beginning.

I don't think that was the case, QM could hardly talk of royal blood could she. She possible didn't like Camilla because she saw her as another Wallis, the woman who had ruined her husband and forced him into being King. Shoving her and her two daughters into the royal stage.

1. They didn't marry while she was alive leads many people to claim that the QM didn't care for Camilla - at least as a wife.

2. She leant them her home in Scotland so she did approve of Camilla - at least as a mistress.

... [snipped] .
If Queen Mother appeared to like Mrs. Parker Bowles and accept/encourage the relationship in question, why did not she allow her favourite grandson to marry her in the first place and be happy? So it was acceptable to have Mrs. Parker Bowles as a mistress. However, Mrs. Parker Bowles would taint the royal bloodline in other respects.

Because in 1972/73 it wasn't up to the Queen Mother to approve the marriage. It was the Queen & only the Queen who had that power (as she continued to have until the year 2000 when the Human Rights Act came into power in the UK). And in 1973 the Queen was intending to try to pair off Prince Charles with a Duke's daughter, Lady Jane Wellesley, so she wanted Camilla out of the way & so helped arrange the wedding of Camilla to Andrew Parker-Bowles, the Catholic son of one of her closest friends.

The Queen still has to approve all royal marriages or the person concerned has to have the approval of Parliament.
Without that the children of said marriage aren't in line to the succession and therefore can't inherit.
The Human Rights Act guarantees the right to marry not the right of their offspring to inherit and for that they need the Queen's permission (or Parliaments).

The Queen Mother was old-fashioned and to her men didn't marry their mistresses but kept them. She didn't see anything wrong with that.

She remembered that in 1936 a divorced woman wanted to marry the King and the consequences were an abdication and her husband's accession, early death and the succession of her daughter. To later on agree to Charles marrying a divorcee would mean that she would expect Charles to have to lose his place in the line of succession to have the precedent upheld.

She possible didn't like Camilla because she saw her as another Wallis...
That's what I was thinking - after all the problems with Wallis - maybe she saw her as just another Wallis - I mean didn't Camilla's ancestor become a mistress to Edward VII? I know that has nothing to do with this, but I'm mentioning it anyway. I understand that times have changed and it's more accepted now, to marry a divorcee - but it's just weird. Edward and Wallis - then we have kinda the same situation years later - only Charles is still Prince of Wales/heir to the throne, will not abdicate, and he is married to Camilla, who is now "Her Royal Highness, Princess of Wales." Ugh, royalty.

3. Charles has given a lot of the QM's jewellery, including the engagement ring, to Camilla and surely he wouldn't do that if he knew that his grandmother disapproved of that action as he absolutely adored his grandmother.
That's actually another reason I asked... it just seems like a lot of her jewels are going to Camilla, not to the Queen(meaning the Queen is not wearing them, she is picking and choosing - I know she does have some of her mother's jewels, but ...) or anyone else in the family. :ermm:
Am I wrong in assuming this? Has anyone else received any of her jewels??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom