Relationship of the Royal Family with The Duchess of Cornwall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Elspeth said:
I'm sure we're all duly grateful that you're resisting the temptation to resort to the lowest language...:D

Hope it isn't doing anything permanently serious to your blood pressure.

Thanks so much for your concern:rolleyes: :rolleyes: . I am strong and will remain strong. No need to worry about me (not that I think for a moment you or anyone else is).

Feberin said:
I would assume that Camilla gets along very well with the other members of the Royal family. I think the common interest of horses will at least help Camilla connect with the Queen and Princess Anne. Also Camilla most likely is very nice to all the royals, since she's trying to get their approval. I don't think Camilla cares very much about precedence, if she did I'm sure she would be going by her rightful title Princess of Wales, regardless of what the public might think.

I agree. I think Camilla, no matter of what members of the Royal Family think of her, will try to get along with them for the simple fact that she wants to win their approval. Even though she is married to the Prince of Wales, she is still the newest member of the Royal Family. Do I think that if Camilla and Charles were not married The Queen would be best friends with Camilla, no I absolutely do not. But The Queen is smart enough to realise that the Royal Family cannot appear divided, so whatever Her personal feelings may be, She is going to put them aside and be gracious to Camilla. I honestly do think, however, that they all do get on, at least somewhat. Camilla pulls her weight when it comes to doing official engagements and thats important. Ive seen her do more than some other crown princesses in this short time span, and I think that does sit well with The Queen. And I honestly think the whole precedence issue is not important to Camilla. I bet she is glad to be in the Royal Family period.

I agree that she (camilla) is glad to be in the royal family period. Considering her pick up line to Prince Charles. She is doing alot of work, she seems to really enjoy it also. I wonder what changed the Queens mind about Camilla all of the sudden.

Harry's polo shirt said:
I agree that she (camilla) is glad to be in the royal family period. Considering her pick up line to Prince Charles. She is doing alot of work, she seems to really enjoy it also. I wonder what changed the Queens mind about Camilla all of the sudden.

The Queen changed her mind because she was backed into a corner. Charles was never going to give up Camilla. She did not want her son becoming king, unmarried, with a mistress. It is highly damaging. I believe Her Majesty wanted to regularize Charles' personal life before his becoming King to lessen controversy. So, she let that woman in and he married her. I believe Her Majesty is hoping that they will work hard and win over the people. She wanted it done within her lifetime so it wouldn't be a shock later down the road, and she can watch and control what is going on with them.

tiaraprin said:
The Queen changed her mind because she was backed into a corner. \

Is this your opinion or do you have some evidence to back it up. I agree with the facts that you have given, such as Charles saying that he wouldn't give up Camilla but the rest is your opinion, and quite a few other people I think, but I have not seen a statement to that effect from BP is there?

tiaraprin said:
She wanted it done within her lifetime so it wouldn't be a shock later down the road, and she can watch and control what is going on with them.

Let's hope she can "control" them better than she did Charles and Diana. What a disaster.

I haven't seen the Queen make any friendly overtures to Camilla, also, Camilla has appeared to have been snubbed and ignored by her plenty. It's well known that the Queen and Philip did not approve of Camilla during Charles's first marriage. It's hard to tell as the Queen always keeps such a stuff upper lip, but I haven't seen her exhibit the warmness that she did for Diana when she married Charles. But what else can we expect?

Harry's polo shirt said:
I agree that she (camilla) is glad to be in the royal family period. Considering her pick up line to Prince Charles

I agree. I'm not a Diana fan, but I still think Camilla set her sights early on and went for them all the way.

chrissy57 said:
Is this your opinion or do you have some evidence to back it up. I agree with the facts that you have given, such as Charles saying that he wouldn't give up Camilla but the rest is your opinion, and quite a few other people I think, but I have not seen a statement to that effect from BP is there?

It is my personal opinion about Her Majesty being backed into a corner. I do not believe Her Majesty wanted Charles to marry his mistress who helped break up his first marriage, despite the lack of commonality between Charles and Diana.

Alicky said:
I agree. I'm not a Diana fan, but I still think Camilla set her sights early on and went for them all the way.

And people say Diana set her sights and went for it and Diana gets bashed!

Reina said:
Yeah I agree totally.

Anyway has camilla received the Royal Family Order of The Queen

The order is talked about here at royal insight: www.royal.gov.uk/ output/Page2496.asp

Not yet, or at least it hasn't been announced. I guess we will find out for sure at her first state banquet. It is usually given out for service to the sovereign, and not the heir...so she may have to wait a while & perform more duties, etc.

The RFO

Sean.~ said:
Not yet, or at least it hasn't been announced. I guess we will find out for sure at her first state banquet. It is usually given out for service to the sovereign, and not the heir...so she may have to wait a while & perform more duties, etc.
Yes, I think we'll be waiting a while for this one. It seems to be earned rather than given automatically. It must be quite an honour to be called into see HM and she announces she is awarding the RFO, in a private little ceremony. In any case I don't think any announcement is made - we only find out when they are seen wearing it for the first time.

Warren said:
Yes, I think we'll be waiting a while for this one. It seems to be earned rather than given automatically. It must be quite an honour to be called into see HM and she announces she is awarding the RFO, in a private little ceremony. In any case I don't think any announcement is made - we only find out when they are seen wearing it for the first time.

Yes, no official announcement is given. We didnt know the Countess of Wessex had received her Royal Family Order until she wore it to the Crown Prince of Denmark's wedding last year. Camilla will probably have to wait some years before she receives this.

tiaraprin said:
And people say Diana set her sights and went for it and Diana gets bashed!

So? I don't get what you're trying to say.

tiaraprin said:
It is my personal opinion about Her Majesty being backed into a corner. I do not believe Her Majesty wanted Charles to marry his mistress who helped break up his first marriage, despite the lack of commonality between Charles and Diana.

It did look like it but monarchy has to evolve also. I liked the fact that even though it was announced that the Queen was not going to go to Charles and Camilla's wedding, all his siblings were there. They showed fraternal support and it was nice to see. Nice to see siblings taking a stand together.

Alicky said:
So? I don't get what you're trying to say.

Uh, I am saying it seems acceptable for Camilla to set her sights, but if Diana did, she gets bashed, that is what I mean!! Camilla can do no wrong (but that is definitely not the case).

tiaraprin said:

You are correct. And the late Queen Mother was even more adamantly opposed to Charles marrying Camilla, which is why the matter could not be considered until after her death.

Prince Philip is the one who convinced the Queen she could not leave the matter in abeyance forever. With Diana gone and Princes William and Harry on their own and prepared to accept Camilla, the Queen really had no choice if she wished Charles to ascend the throne. Otherwise, she would have been faced with the uncertainty of the monarchy surviving after her death.

The question had to be addressed now, while there was still time for the public to get used to the idea of Camilla.

We try to have a policy here of providing sources for statements that could otherwise be misunderstood as gossip. If you can give us a link to the source for the statement that it was Prince Philip who persuaded the Queen, it would be much appreciated. It reads like a very authoritative statement, so I assume there's a basis for it.

I agree that the Queen was backed into a corner

I agree with those who feel the Queen was backed into a corner and had to give approval to Charles and Camilla for their wedding. I think she probably wanted approval and wanted to appear modern so she thought it was the modern thing to do to let them live their lives openly after all these years. To me, though, it sent the signal that she approved of the love they had even when they were married to others, which isn't necessarily something to be proud of. More disturbing to me is the signal that seems to be sent that William and Harry approve. I felt so sorry for them at the wedding. I would like to think they were disgusted by the wedding, after all they lived through with their parents and their mother particularly, being so unhappy because of Camilla. Yet they had to put on smiling faces and pretend that it was just wonderful that their father was marrying his mistress. I hope it's that...otherwise, it seems to me that they've been so influenced by the Royal Family that they, too, are becoming insensitive.

I've heard the princes get along with Camilla. She has made it clear that she doesn't want to assume a stepmother role but that's probably fine with them.

As far as the Queen being backed into a corner, a little yes and a little no. I think Charles is a man who needs a steady companion. It wasn't like the Queen could just say get rid of her because he had no one else to fulfill that role.

I personally feel that as the Queen, HM was opposed to the marriage, but as a mother, what mother does not want their child(ren) to have happiness in life?

michelleq said:
I personally feel that as the Queen, HM was opposed to the marriage, but as a mother, what mother does not want their child(ren) to have happiness in life?

It probably was a little bit of both. As the Sovereign, she was in a difficult position and memories of the bitterness surrounding the Duke and Duchess of Windsor were probably not pleasant, especially considering her mother's adamant opposition. But, it was time to move on and she did.

A.C.C. said:
Yes, no official announcement is given. We didnt know the Countess of Wessex had received her Royal Family Order until she wore it to the Crown Prince of Denmark's wedding last year. Camilla will probably have to wait some years before she receives this.

Sarah, Duchess of York, never received the Royal Family Order and the Queen liked Sarah. I believe Diana got it a year after her marriage. I am glad that Sophie got hers.

Camilla will be waiting a long time, maybe forever. Camilla may never receive the Queen's RFO but she will be the first to get Charles' if he becomes king (God Help Us!) She has to prove her weight in gold to the Queen before she will even consider it.

Yeah i think just wait and see if there will be State Banquet on the Official Visit of King Harald and Queen Sonja to The United Kingdom this autumn.I think there will be a State Banquet at Buckingham Palace and we can see whether the Duchess of Cornwall will wear the Royal Family Order or not.

Do you think Camilla will don a tiara?

No RFO just yet!

HMQueenElizabethII said:
I think there will be a State Banquet at Buckingham Palace and we can see whether the Duchess of Cornwall will wear the Royal Family Order or not.
HMQEII, a bit premature to speculate on whether Camilla will be wearing the Royal Family Order this year. My guess is that it will be quite some time before HM bestows this honour on the Duchess of Cornwall, possibly years.

tiaraprin said:
Uh, I am saying it seems acceptable for Camilla to set her sights, but if Diana did, she gets bashed, that is what I mean!! Camilla can do no wrong (but that is definitely not the case).

Where did I say I accepted Camilla? At all? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom