The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think The Queen has made a great effort to accept reality and have shown a great of appreciation for the work the Duchess of Cornwall has done as a senior member of the royal family and the happiness she has provided to Charles.

It's pretty much well known that she wasn't fond of Camilla back in the day and even refused to be in the same room with her. A lot has changed since then. I think The Queen is one smart cookie. She is trying to make sure that before she pass on, the "Firm" is more stable than it was in the 90's. Leave the drama behind and get on with things.
What's the source for this titbit?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Majesty

There are old stories about The Queen and Camilla Parker Bowles situation out there. It wasn't a nice situation in those days.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Heir Apparent

But it doesn't mean that they are true

Old 07-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Majesty

I'm somehow thinking it was true, if not, I know The Queen wasn't fond of her though. Mark Bolland got involved with Camilla's rehabilitation, worked some miracles and here we are today.

A lot of the truth is in The Queen's personal diary (as some royal historians and experts like to point out) but we most likely won't get any excerpts from that until a while after her passing. It's going to be interesting to hear about her real thoughts in those "annus horribilis" days.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-30-2013, 01:51 PM
Heir Apparent

She will be discrete about everything. She is not someone who would "tell all" from the grave and risk the BRF's position - especially as she apparently worked hard to maintain it.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:11 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder if there is anything that revealing in her diary. She herself said in one of those documentaries she does every decade or so that her diary is nothing like Queen Victorias. For her it is just a couple of lines. I doubt she will leave too much for historians to get worked up about but then I will be long in my grave before the diaries of QEII ever see the light of day.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Gentry

Not too long ago, when the diaries of Queen Victoria were published, HM was asked when her own diaries would be published. Her reply was something along the lines of -- "Never".
Old 07-30-2013, 07:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Personally I think William and Harry are realtively close to Camilla. She has attended significant events in their military careers (William's passing out parade at Sandhurst and him getting his wings) which if they didn't want her to be there they could have said and I don't think it would have been a massive issue. Likewise with Camilla being with Charles to visit the new baby cambridge in hospital. If William and Harry didn't want her at their own significant events then she wouldn't be there.
The issue is how we define "relatively close." I am not a confident so I am just guessing, but it seems to me that they are fine with her and even enjoy her company, but don't go out of their way to interact with her. They may go hunting, fishing, etc together even without Charles when they are together at Balmoral.

Outside of family holidays, I think she's welcome to all events that Charles attends, but I don't think they call her to see how she is or stop in for a visit when they know Charles isn't there.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I'm somehow thinking it was true, if not, I know The Queen wasn't fond of her though.
Again, I am guessing, but I don't think the Queen disapproval was personal, she was concerned about the impact Charles's relationship with Camilla had on the monarchy. Apparently Camilla is very likeable, so I am sure the Queen was personally fond of her, but didn't want to be seen as approving such a controversial relationship.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:07 PM
Majesty

I'm not sure The Queen was fond of Camilla even back in the day. I think get along just fine today though.

I think The Queen learned to show more appreciation for Camilla's contribution to the "Firm" and awarded her with the Royal Victorian Order just after seven years of marriage. The Queen didn't even do that for Diana after seven years of her marriage.

I think The Queen has learned to give senior members female members of the royal family a pat on the back for their hard work. Although the years are far in between.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Frankly I'm not sure the Queen likes anyone very much. This is probably coloured by the fact I've just watch Elizabeth R the 1992 documentary. So removed from reality, no wonder the palace wanted to bury this programme.

And I support the monarchy .

Sorry, off topic.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Majesty

The Parker-Bowles were regular attenders at royal functions, at which such people were invited to attend such as Royal Box at Ascot, even after Camilla was exposed as Charles' lover and then The Queen, after Diana's death distanced herself a bit from Camilla. When the Parker-Bowles were in the 'inner circle' she and Camilla got along quite well, then the relationship cooled and now it is back to where it was with the added closeness of Camilla making the Queen's first born child very happy - a bond that often exists between mothers and their daugthers-in-law (yes I know it can also be the exact opposite).
Old 07-30-2013, 08:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think the queen is aware of what Camilla means in Charles' life. Too bad this was not recognized before all the collateral damage was done.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
The issue is how we define "relatively close." I am not a confident so I am just guessing, but it seems to me that they are fine with her and even enjoy her company, but don't go out of their way to interact with her. They may go hunting, fishing, etc together even without Charles when they are together at Balmoral.

Outside of family holidays, I think she's welcome to all events that Charles attends, but I don't think they call her to see how she is or stop in for a visit when they know Charles isn't there.
William does see Camilla w/o Charles. In April 1999, he attended Laura Parker Bowles' 21st birthday party. PW was 16. Prince Charles did not attend.

In December 2007, he joined Camilla & her family for dinner again w/o Prince Charles.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Frankly I'm not sure the Queen likes anyone very much. This is probably coloured by the fact I've just watch Elizabeth R the 1992 documentary. So removed from reality, no wonder the palace wanted to bury this programme.

And I support the monarchy .

Sorry, off topic.
Lol, I'm not sure about that, cepe. I think she loves her family very much.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-30-2013, 10:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
William does see Camilla w/o Charles. In April 1999, he attended Laura Parker Bowles' 21st birthday party. PW was 16. Prince Charles did not attend.

In December 2007, he joined Camilla & her family for dinner again w/o Prince Charles.
I always thought that William must have had a good relationship with Camilla and her children as he asked Eliza Lopes to be in his wedding party. To me that spoke volumes about the actual relationship between William and Camilla.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:34 AM
Courtier

Maybe the Queen really liked Camilla..But just sent out an impression (or just let people assume) that she doesnt like her (at that time).. Frankly, which mother will hate a woman who gave her son all he needs in his real bad times..
But since she learned a lesson in '97 that "angels" are powerful than Queens in peoples hearts, she just pretended to be indifferent to Camilla for a long time..
And simply let the spin doctors spread that she is against C-C wedding, and was forced by Charles to consent for that....Just my idea..

And regarding Queen's diaries, sorry we are gonna get nothing out of it..As she stated there is hardly anything in them. I actually wonder whether she "feels" anything at all..to write in diary..
Old 07-31-2013, 04:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I always thought that William must have had a good relationship with Camilla and her children as he asked Eliza Lopes to be in his wedding party. To me that spoke volumes about the actual relationship between William and Camilla.
I agree. On several occasions, Wiliam has been seen having dinner with Camilla and her children, usually at Locanda Locatelli or Scotts.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:32 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
always thought that William must have had a good relationship with Camilla and her children as he asked Eliza Lopes to be in his wedding party. To me that spoke volumes about the actual relationship between William and Camilla.
And we must not forget that both William annd Harry attended Camilla's father funerals in 2006.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:15 AM
Courtier

Thanks to everyone who reminded me of William's relationship with Camilla and her family. When I talk about a "close" relationship, I am describing a relationship with regular one-on-one interaction. As far as I know, William and Harry don't get together with Camilla alone.

I have close friends and often we will get our families together. I consider myself my friend's with the family members of my friends, but I am not always "close" with the family members, if that makes sense.

Tags
british royal family, camilla, duchess of cornwall, relationships