Relationship of the Royal Family with The Duchess of Cornwall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From the MailOnline, 29 November 2011, by Richard Kay, of all people.
For what it's worth...

How Kate and Camilla have become best friends sharing beauty tips and royal do's and don'ts | Mail Online

Kate's new best friend: Sharing beauty tips and royal do's and don'ts, how Camilla has become Kate's mentor

Of all the Royal Family’s hopes and expectations when Kate Middleton married Prince William, no one could have anticipated it would transform the former Mrs Camilla Parker Bowles. Thanks to Kate, the Duchess of Cornwall’s stock has never been higher within the palace walls, especially with the Queen — who once looked upon Prince Charles’s former mistress as a potential threat to the stability of the monarchy.

Her resoundingly successful visit to the set of Strictly Come Dancing at the weekend — where she chatted animatedly to Sir Bruce Forsyth, joked with contestants and cast her glowing verdict on a rehearsal of the quick-step — was that of a woman at ease with herself who is enjoying new-found royal favour.

The reason for this heartening approval is that Camilla, 64, has taken the Duchess of Cambridge firmly under her wing. Camilla has claimed the crucial role of making sure Kate that feels ‘at home’ as a royal. Quietly, Camilla is creating a senior role for herself by also proffering matronly advice to Prince Andrew’s daughters Beatrice and Eugenie.

‘Camilla’s exceptional warmth has really touched Catherine,’ says one of Kate’s friends.

How Kate and Camilla have become best friends sharing beauty tips and royal do's and don'ts | Mail Online

This particularly struck me:

What are they talking about here. I mean really William her husband, why wouldn`t he out of all the other members of the BRF be sensitive and sorta get what Kate must be going through. He knows how much his mother heck even his aunt struggled with adjusting with royal life that`s why I find that sentence weird.

I think what DM was trying to say is that while the guys would know it's tough to join BRF smoothly, they're not sure HOW to help. ;) Typical of guys (and for the record, I'm a guy, and I know I can use more sensitivity. ;) :ROFLMAO: :flowers: )!

I think what DM was trying to say is that while the guys would know it's tough to join BRF smoothly, they're not sure HOW to help. ;) Typical of guys (and for the record, I'm a guy, and I know I can use more sensitivity. ;) :ROFLMAO: :flowers: )!

I think that's exactly what they were saying. They're not unfeeling, they just don't know what to do. Makes sense, especially because this life is the only life they know. And they're men.lol

It does appear that Catherine and Camilla get along well, and that's wonderful for everyone.

I doubt they are BFFs. I think Camilla is acting in a motherly/aunt role to younger family members. She's there to turn to for advice just like she had to turn to the Queen for advice.

It's nice to see that Camila and Catherine get along. They don't have to be best friends, but it would be awfully awkward if they didn't have at least civil relationship. I think Camila can be a great help to Catherine, because she too came in as an outsider (and not a popular one at that). I remember reading somewhere that Sophie, Countess of Wessex was another person that could help Catherine adjust, so between these two women, the Duchess of Cambridge is in good hands.

That makes more sense! I wish they would have written it like that instead of the way they did :flowers:

It is nice that Camilla is lending a helping hand to Catherine, and it was lovely to see them getting along so well at the Remembrance service, but I do agree that she is likely playing the role of "welcoming mother-in-law". This is great though as the 4 of them, along with Harry and his future spouse, will be the future of the Monarchy so they need to get along. The DM does not mention that apparently Sophie has been of great assistance to Catherine, which I also think is in the role of "welcoming mother-in-law/aunt-in-law", however I can see Sophie and Catherine getting on more than Camilla and Catherine. Sophie is slightly younger, is from a middle class background/commoner and married a Prince. I am not saying Camilla is none of the aforementioned, but she obviously had a very different time of joining the family, whereas Sophie was in a similar position to Catherine, therefore she can provide assistance to her, which I believe she did do, hence why Louise was a bridesmaid. (That and perhaps because they needed another young girl to join Margarita and a family member/cousin fit the bill perfectly!)

Glad to hear that they are going along which is good.

It is nice that Camilla is lending a helping hand to Catherine, and it was lovely to see them getting along so well at the Remembrance service, but I do agree that she is likely playing the role of "welcoming mother-in-law". This is great though as the 4 of them, along with Harry and his future spouse, will be the future of the Monarchy so they need to get along. The DM does not mention that apparently Sophie has been of great assistance to Catherine, which I also think is in the role of "welcoming mother-in-law/aunt-in-law", however I can see Sophie and Catherine getting on more than Camilla and Catherine. Sophie is slightly younger, is from a middle class background/commoner and married a Prince. I am not saying Camilla is none of the aforementioned, but she obviously had a very different time of joining the family, whereas Sophie was in a similar position to Catherine, therefore she can provide assistance to her, which I believe she did do, hence why Louise was a bridesmaid. (That and perhaps because they needed another young girl to join Margarita and a family member/cousin fit the bill perfectly!)

I was thinking along the same lines, but then wondered if perhaps Camila and Catherine may be closer (or have more chances to communicate), because William has a closer relationship with his father than with his uncle. Of course one may have nothing to do with the other, but it's just a thought. Now, I'm going to stop going off-topic here.

I must admit that Camilla is growing on me. I didn't care for her due to the whole infidelity business (don't want to rehash, there's enough blame to be thrown around to stick to everyone's walls!) but I do believe that she and Charles are 'soul mates'. I'm sure she & Charles are finally happy and that she has found her role in 'The Firm'. I'm sure Catherine appreciates the support.

As you say, the DM does not mention Sophie and her relationship with Catherine. That is probably because they know nothing and can only speculate on the few occasions that they have been in the same photo shot. Now the relationship with Camilla is easier to speculate on as they have been photographed, both formally and informally, together.

Camilla has more pertinent information to share with Catherine as they both share a similar and more dramatic destiny. Camilla can share her more recent experience of joining the BRF as the wife of the heir which, in due time, Catherine will also become. Added to that, Camilla has a steady head on her shoulders and has managed to weather some pretty heavy adverse publicity. Catherine will be able to get a realistic "read" of the vicissitudes of media publicity from Camilla, as well as the inside track of the "peculiarities" of the BRF.

Kate was wearing the bracelet she received from Camilla at the Gary Barlow concert again last night. Given how often she wears this particular piece I think we can assume that their relationship is quite close.

Ok just to re-ignite this thread, has anyone heard or read that The Queen has always "liked" Camilla as a person despite the marraige fiasco? I believe I read in The Queen*Di that The Queen appreciated Camilla's discretion and loyalty.

Yes - I have always been under the impression that the Queen liked Camilla. They both have a common love of horses to start with and a joint love of the Queen's first born child.

Interesting idea that Her Majesty would have had to separate her personal feelings for Camilla from what she felt was best for the country when Charles was young and never married. I can honestly see it happening because the Queen's sense of duty and what is best for her country is so strong. I would like to hear more if anyone else has heard anything one way or the other.

They look very much at ease with each other. :)

Thank you for posting that video, Nico. :flowers: I enjoyed it. HM & HRH seem to have an easy relationship. It was great to see Camilla on her own, too. She seems to be very friendly and easygoing.

According to the Daily Mail article below, the relationship among Camilla and Anne, Andrew, and Edward is "frosty." Is that true? I thought that they had warmed up to her. My understanding is that although Andrew and Edward got along with Princess Diana, they were not really close. I've always heard that Anne didn't really like Diana much and she, herself divorced her husband to marry her lover, but I would have thought she and Camilla had a lot in common. Maybe there is more to it.
Diamond Jubilee 2012: Once she was a pariah, now Camilla is at the heart of the Royal Family | Mail Online

According to the Daily Mail article below, the relationship among Camilla and Anne, Andrew, and Edward is "frosty." Is that true?

We can only guess at an answer to that question, because nobody except the royal family will know the truth.

she, herself divorced her husband to marry her lover, but I would have thought she and Camilla had a lot in common.

I do find that theory amusing however, Anne married her 'lover' so she must like Camilla who did the same. :lol:

We can only guess at an answer to that question, because nobody except the royal family will know the truth.

I do find that theory amusing however, Anne married her 'lover' so she must like Camilla who did the same. :lol:

My complex sentence referred to both the fact that Anne and Camilla enjoy many of the same country sports and that Anne would not, or should not, be judgmental of Camilla and Charles as she also had an affair and divorced her husband to marry a long-time lover.

Its the Daily Mail, so I would take any information with a grain of salt. True Charles (and likewise Camilla) doesn't socialize that much with his siblings but I don't that makes it frosty...just that they don't share same interests (at least with Andrew and Edward). And really they are at different stages of their life: Anne has her work, her horses and family, Andrew is searching for something (at least to me) but he has his work and girls (Beatrice and Eugenie who are testing independence) and Edward has his family (and young kids at that) as well as his work.

Different interests in my mind doesn't indicate a frosty relationship. And the DM likes to stir things up.

Some months ago the DM printed that the relations btw Andrew and Camilla were excellent because she was very friendly with Beatrice and Eugenie ....

Some months ago the DM printed that the relations btw Andrew and Camilla were excellent because she was very friendly with Beatrice and Eugenie ....

Well one doesn't look to the DM for consistency. They will write whatever they want depending on their mood and what ever will sell papers.

As for Anne divorcing her husband in 1992 to marry her lover, that sort of overlooks her 1st husband having fathered a child born in 1985 with another woman which was confirmed by a DNA test in 1991.

My guess is that members of the BRF see each other when they can in private but still pursue their separate interests with their own work and their own families and friends......just like the rest of us.

Last edited:
Anne and Camilla have known each other for decades. During the early 70s when Camilla first met and dated Charles with her eye also on Andrew Parker-Bowles, APB was also dating Anne at the time. Being that this is ancient history, I don't think it has any bearing though on the relationship between Anne and Camilla now.

As for Camilla getting along well with Beatrice and Eugenie; well, I should imagine that she has no reason not to.

And although Camilla shares her husband's designation and styles, his nieces are Princesses of the blood let us not forget. A certain degree of courtesy and respect should be extended by any persons who marry into the family.

At one time, wasn't there some kind of a relationship between Anne and Andrew Parker Bowles?

At one time, wasn't there some kind of a relationship between Anne and Andrew Parker Bowles?

Yes, Anne and APB and Charles and Camilla Shand dated at about the same time. Both Anne and camilla remain on good terms with APB. Camilla even invited APB and his second wife to her wedding to Charles. Everyone seems to have remained on quite good terms.

The feeling I get is that they probably get on reasonably well, but they just don't see one another all that much, apart from big family events - Christmas, Trooping the Colour, Remembrance Sunday etc.

On any given day the RF are scattered all across the UK and even further afield. In comparison, my father's siblings all live within about 20 miles of us but we still don't see much of one another. Every family has its own dynamics and the RF is no different.

How is the relationship between the Princess Royal and the Duchess of Cambridge ?

Back
Top Bottom