Prince of Wales: Visit to the United States - May 3-5, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wbenson

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
United States
Isn't Barack Obama going to the UK in May anyway? Why not meet the POW then?

I think his main purpose for the trip is the address at Georgetown University. He can make a quick stop to see Obama since he's going to be in Washington. Obama's calendar doesn't yet reflect the visit.

Since it is an official state visit, I hope to see Camilla with the Prince. Perhaps they will go to Canada on the same trip (can't remember the dates W&C will be in Canada).

Last edited:
Since it is an official state visit, I hope to see Camilla with the Prince. Perhaps they will go to Canada on the same trip (can't remember the dates W&C will be in Canada).

Whilst it will be an official trip, it will not be a state trip. Charles is not head of state yet, and therefore, does not carry out "state trips"

I do not think Camilla is going, otherwise the announcement would have expressly said so.

Prince Charles gives Texan billionaire royal wedding invite in exchange for free flight to U.S. | Mail Online
Prince Charles has accepted a free flight on a private jet from a Texan billionaire in exchange for an invite to the royal wedding because of the 'economic climate'.
Just days after the wedding of his son Prince William to Kate Middleton, Charles will fly to the U.S. for a three-day visit that will include a meeting with President Barack Obama.
He will be flown over to Washington on a charter plane belonging to Joe Allbritton, a close personal friend and supporter of the prince’s charities with strong ties among Washington’s elite.
Charles’ office said that given the current economic climate, it felt it was right to accept the offer.

Is there anyone....

....who can explain to me why this is okay? And...is it taxable? And...does Mr. Allbritton know the bridal couple?

The "office...felt it was right...". It's been my experience in both business and personal ethics that when someone uses the word 'felt' rather than 'thought' that they know what they 'feel' is wrong or incorrect, at the very least.

Last edited:
....who can explain to me why this is okay? And...is it taxable? And...does Mr. Allbritton know the bridal couple?

The "office...felt it was right...". It's been my experience in both business and personal ethics that when someone uses the word 'felt' rather than 'thought' that they know what they 'feel' is wrong or incorrect, at the very least.

We don't know if he knows William and/or Kate but we do know that there will be many people in the Abbey who don't know either of them but who are there because they have been included at the request of the Queen or Charles or even because the Middletons have had some dealings with them.

This is not a small wedding where only close personal friends of the bride and groom are invited.

The article does state that this gentlemen is a 'close personal friend' of Charles so maybe he does know William.

Charles can't win though can he - he takes a regular flight and people will complain about the extra security to which they will be subjected and the cost to the taxpayers, he charters a flight and the cost to the taxpyers is used against him, he accepts the offer of a private plane from a friend, at no cost to the taxpayer and he is still doing the wrong thing.

The friend has been a big supporter of Prince Charles' charities which is probably far more the reason why he has been invited to the wedding but that headline wouldn't suit the DM - it has an agenda - destroy the Yorks and destroy Charles. What will sell more - Supporter of Charles' charities invited to wedding or Prince Charles gives billionaire invite in return for free flight.

Last edited:
Exactly!!! People should be happy that the taxpayer isn't having to pay for the flight. And even if a wedding invitation is in exchange for the free flight (which I doubt) whose business is it anyway? The man is a huge supporter of Charles' charities that is enough for an invitation in itself.

I'm just grateful that we will not see that awful Joan Rivers at the wedding. Methinks someone may have heard one of her outrageous comments about the former Princess of Wales.

Looks like he managed to pic some interesting and unknown causes to highlight today.

Prince Charles was attending a reception for the Marshall Scholars program. His guide for the even was Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer, an alumni of the program. Though according to this blog, Breyer went unrecognized by the international media. He generally keeps a low profile.

Charles also visited the Common Good City Farm, which was thrilled to have him. They've been trying to get Michelle Obama to visit for a while and it hasn't happened.

Perhaps as Charles' visit has been pencilled in for many months and it's an addition to his already scheduled presence, Ms.Obama hasn't been offered the same lead time or has an already crowded agenda on her home turf. It doesn't seem likely to me that she's simply not interested.

:previous:

You would have thought that it's not too difficult to find out about the agenda..;)

Today, the Prince of Wales has spoken at 'The Future of Food' conference
at Gaston Hall at Georgetown University in Washington, DC.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** daylife gallery - May 4th, 2011 **

He also met with President Barack Obama at the Oval Office of the White House (see the
updated gallery above) and has been invited to a private dinner at US Senator John Kerry
his wife's Georgetown home.

** belga gallery **

Last edited:
Its great to see his work appreciated. Years ago he was made fun of and here we all are catching up to him.

Sounds like it was not only a great weekend for both but this week also. Turns out that (KARMA) that it was best that the President & 1st lady weren't invited. Otherwise they ( at least the President) would have had to turn around & come right back home. He gave the order on Friday & they had to change the action date from Saturday to sunday do to wheather.

Everything worked out in the end for the best
SmileyLoveIt.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom