The Prince of Wales Current Events 12: April 2013 - June 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Queen can't do it because it is a political as well as moral situation but the heir to the throne is able to publicly show his support. I suspect he often speaks out with his mother's at least tacit support where she is unable to speak out.

When King he won't be able to say these things without the government's express permission so that role would fall to William.

This is just a question for Lubertie or anybody knowledgable about UK government. What exactly can't the Monarch do politically? I know that the Monarch cannot support one political party over another. I know the role with the prime minister is to advise. Why can't a Monarch speak there his/her own mind ( after talking to PM) or speak on be half of the United Kingdom. An example is in a potential war situation.

For example King George six some against the Nazis when The UK entered the second world war?

Is the only time the public hears from the Monarch at the opening of Parliament or a ribbon cutting ?

Just want to learn..

She can't speak on any issue without the approval of the government. George VI's speeches during the war were approved speeches - just as The Queen's speeches are approved today.

We only hear her own opinion on things in the Christmas Speech and she avoids anything political at all in that.

The Queen can't ever show or say anything that could be viewed as favouring one side or the other but she can make her opinion known via her weekly meeting with the PM.

Prince of Wales Current Events 12: April 2013 -

The speech at the opening of Parliament is not the Queen's words but those the government in power. The Queen can't order military action or declare war against another country.

The Queen meets with the PM in private regularly. There she can offer advise and give her opinion if she wanted. She can address the nation if she wanted and has done such after Diana's death and probably the address where it's the words of the Queen herself the most is during the annual Christmas message.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

She can't speak on any issue without the approval of the government. George VI's speeches during the war were approved speeches - just as The Queen's speeches are approved today.

We only hear her own opinion on things in the Christmas Speech and she avoids anything political at all in that.

The Queen can't ever show or say anything that could be viewed as favouring one side or the other but she can make her opinion known via her weekly meeting with the PM.

Thanks to you both. So how is Prince Charles going to make this adjustment ? Do you really think that he'll privately advise the prime minister and say nothing if they disagree? Just wondering. He has strong views on many things!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

He knows that he will have to agree to follow the constitution as his mother and other ancestors have done before him.

He will be able to voice his opinion to the PM regularly - just as his mother does now - but he won't be able to let the world know if they disagree - unless he wishes to bring on a major constitutional crisis.

I dont think so. She would never make any form of statement like this and if by some strange chance she did want to say it, then she would put her name to it. This is him speaking for himself IMO.

I stand corrected. I went and checked press releases. The Queen only sends sympathy to other countries in cases of natural or industrial disasters.
So this 12 months: A helicopter crash, a typhoon, bushfires.

We live in a world where leaders cannot express regret over genocide. Sigh.

Prince Charles spoke for the first time today of how 'wonderful' it was to be a grandfather again.
The heir to the throne said he was 'happy' and 'thrilled' at the news that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were expecting their second child.

The couple were forced to announce the news several weeks early, after Kate began suffering from the same severe morning sickness that blighted her first pregnancy.

Aides had indictated that Charles, who was this afternoon on a visit to a Prince's Trust Project in south London, would be unlikely to talk about the impending arrival as his daughter-in-law was at such an early stage of her pregnancy.
A beaming Prince Charles reveals he and Camilla are 'thrilled' and 'delighted' at news of a second royal baby | Mail Online

Video:
Prince Charles joined present and former employees at Airbus in Broughton, North Wales, to mark the 75th anniversary of the first aerospace factory opening on the site in 1939. He opened a new visitor centre which marks the history of the site from the first Vickers Wellington bomber to be manufactured to the construction of the wings for the new Airbus A350 which will go into service at the end of this year-
Home - ITNSource News

The Prince of Wales has attended the National Police Memorial Day in Belfast, which remembers officers killed in the line of duty. The Prince attended a reception at Waterfront Hall-
Home - ITNSource News

Does anyone know where the Prince of Wales has been for the past few weeks. It seems as if he is MIA? Hope nothing is seriously wrong? Isn't he scheduled to take a trip abroad to Columbia with the DofC next month?

I first raised the idea of something being wrong when he did so few engagements during the first three weeks in October. Then I went back and checked last year and he followed the same pattern with very few engagements in those three weeks so probably nothing much wrong at all - just preparing for his upcoming overseas tour - he also had the tour to India and Sri Lanka this time last year.

He has done a few things this week - four engagements in Scotland on the day that everyone else was meeting the President of Singapore, including meeting the European Heads of Mission and then hosting a dinner.

He and Camilla are scheduled to visit both Columbia and Mexico.

I remember Dylan Thomasì poem quite well since I studied "Fern Hill" at university a couple of years ago :)

Video:
Prince Charles has hosted afternoon tea for recipients of the George Cross and Victoria Cross, during an event at St James’ Palace in central London today. The awards, which were originally introduced by King George VI and Queen Victoria, recognise bravery amongst military personnel and civilians, and include British troops who have recently returned from service in Afghanistan-

Home - ITNSource News

Robert Jobson @theroyaleditor · 2h 2 hours ago
#PrinceCharles will attend the Royal Shakespeare Company's Annual General Meeting on his 66th birthday (14 Nov)

In 1977 the Prince of Wales was interviewed on a popular music program called Countdown by its host Ian "Molly" Meldrum. Although Countdown was cancelled many years ago, it is still very fondly remembered by Australians, of a certain generation, as compulsory Sunday night viewing. It is now 40 years since Countdown first went to air, and a special program will air on Sunday night to celebrate the anniversary. The Prince of Wales recorded a special message for the show, recalling fondly his visit to Countdown in 1977.

My brothers and I watched Countdown every Sunday night, and I remember the Prince of Wales' appearance in 1977. It is one of the most excruciatingly painful interviews I've ever seen. It is good to see the Prince of Wales remembers it so fondly.

Countdown was filmed on a Saturday afternoon at the ABC studios in Rippon Lee. My cousins from Leongatha (a town in country Victoria) came to stay one weekend because they had tickets for Countdown. They had a great time, and my cousin Peter even managed to pash one of the Countdown Dancers (well that's what he told us).

Prince of Wales' Message

In 1977 the Prince of Wales was interviewed on a popular music program called Countdown by its host Ian "Molly" Meldrum. Although Countdown was cancelled many years ago, it is still very fondly remembered by Australians, of a certain generation, as compulsory Sunday night viewing. It is now 40 years since Countdown first went to air, and a special program will air on Sunday night to celebrate the anniversary. The Prince of Wales recorded a special message for the show, recalling fondly his visit to Countdown in 1977.

My brothers and I watched Countdown every Sunday night, and I remember the Prince of Wales' appearance in 1977. It is one of the most excruciatingly painful interviews I've ever seen. It is good to see the Prince of Wales remembers it so fondly.

Countdown was filmed on a Saturday afternoon at the ABC studios in Rippon Lee. My cousins from Leongatha (a town in country Victoria) came to stay one weekend because they had tickets for Countdown. They had a great time, and my cousin Peter even managed to pash one of the Countdown Dancers (well that's what he told us).

Prince of Wales' Message

That's quite funny!

Prince of Wales' Message
Why was it painful?

Molly Meldrum was nervous, and the Prince of Wales was uncomfortable, so the interview was formal, stilted, and dull. It was like having a tooth pulled; you just wanted it to finish. Molly Meldrum once said that at the beginning of the interview he tried to relax and make some friendly chit-chat with the Prince by telling him about a recent trip to London:

"I saw your mother" enthused Molly
"You mean the Queen?" responded the Prince

After that, it all went downhill.

In 1985 the Prince and Princess of Wales spent over a week in Victoria for our 150th anniversary (probably one of the last old fashioned Royal Tours: long with visits to lots of country towns). There was a special "Rock with the Royals" concert, hosted by Molly. The Princess of Wales enjoyed herself, and hit it off with Molly. The Prince, however, still looked uncomfortable. I don't think rock concerts and rock shows were ever the Prince's cup of tea.

I too remember that interview and Charles seemed fine but Molly was simply overawed at being in the presence of the Prince of Wales.

That they can both laugh about it now says it wasn't all that bad.

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail · 49m 49 minutes ago
On November 20, The Prince of Wales will meet young people involved in social action across the UK via his first ever Google+ Hangout.

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail · 47m 47 minutes ago
Prince Charles's Google foray is being organised by Step Up To Serve, a charity aiming to encourage social action amongst 10-20 year olds.

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail · 45m 45 minutes ago
The Prince's 30 min Google+ Hangout will be hosted by @MissAlexjones and see Charles chat with young people about social action experiences.

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail · 22m 22 minutes ago
Prince Charles's Google+ Hangout will also be streamed live on the British Monarchy YouTube Channel The British Monarchy - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom