The Prince of Wales Current Events 12: April 2013 - June 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting read. His Highness is definitely a fascinating character.

When you read an article like this, it really makes you realize what the character of this man is like.

He may spend a lot of money on the clothes and shoes that he wears but they are of high quality and well taken care of and worn for years. We don't realize how much wear and tear clothing takes being washed in a machine.

Very well put together article and I applaud the DM for it.

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal 8h
#royal Prince #Charles calls 3 party leaders to Buck Palace to engage them in his volunteer initiative 'step up to Serve' - highly unusual.

Video:
Prince Charles has hosted the launch of 'Step Up to Service' at Buckingham Palace today - a new scheme designed to encourage young people to get more involved in volunteering. Speaking alongside the Prime Minister David Cameron, Deputy PM Nick Clegg and Labour Leader Ed Miliband, His Royal Highness said the campaign would help transform the lives and communities around the country-
http://news.itnsource.com/?SearchTerm=Prince Charles Launches 'Step Up to Service' Campaign

Last edited:
He may spend a lot of money on the clothes and shoes that he wears but they are of high quality and well taken care of and worn for years. We don't realize how much wear and tear clothing takes being washed in a machine.

I doubt his suits and shoes are being washed at all, let a lone in a machine! Perhaps the princely undergarments and socks....though knowing Charles' predeliction for staff, I would bet there is a princely hand laundress!

I doubt his suits and shoes are being washed at all, let a lone in a machine! Perhaps the princely undergarments and socks....though knowing Charles' predeliction for staff, I would bet there is a princely hand laundress!

What exactly do you know about "Charles' predeliction for staff?" I am still waiting for your source for one of the allegations you made about his staff in the past. Could you please explain what you know and provide actual sources.

As we know, Diana pressured him to replace much of his staff in the early days of their marriage. Since their separation though, Charles' household has been very stable and his staff seems very loyal to him. There are always exceptions. Few people are absolutely beloved by everyone they know.

I believe one staff member said other staff bullied him but Charles, himself, was not involved. I think Paul Burrell made a complaint or two, but he was close to Diana, although even Diana's close friends dispute his reliability and honesty.

What exactly do you know about "Charles' predeliction for staff?" I am still waiting for your source for one of the allegations you made about his staff in the past. Could you please explain what you know and provide actual sources.

As we know, Diana pressured him to replace much of his staff in the early days of their marriage. Since their separation though, Charles' household has been very stable and his staff seems very loyal to him. There are always exceptions. Few people are absolutely beloved by everyone they know.

I believe one staff member said other staff bullied him but Charles, himself, was not involved. I think Paul Burrell made a complaint or two, but he was close to Diana, although even Diana's close friends dispute his reliability and honesty.
Google is your friend US Royal Watcher.

Royal Households of the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prince Charles' income from taxpayer rises 18% as he bucks recession | Mail Online

independant.co.uk - Independant Resources and Information.

Pampered prince puts sun king in shade | UK news | The Guardian

A simple search will turn up dozens of articles on his staff of 159...and on Michael Fawcett holding the urine specimen bottle for the royal pee.

The Michael Fawcett incident was when Charles had a broken collarbone and so only had one hand - for most men in that situation they need a nurse to hold the specimen bottle so it doesn't go everywhere. Charles had a trusted member of staff rather than a stranger, and probably a female at that.

And as I suspected, there is indeed a princely hand washer person, with none of the clothes going in the machine...AND a princely shoe lace ironer!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...the-corgis-juciest-bits-from-royal-expos.html
Thanks for eventually providing a few links, but this one doesn't work. There are many articles with "unnamed sources" peddling misinformation about all celebrities and members of royal families. Some people will eagerly (and gullibly) believe anything that confirms their own bias, but the fact is that they don't "know" anything.

Stephen Barry, a named source in a position to actually know, wrote two books and did not make one of the allegations you claimed Barry made. Barry also described Charles as a man who was courteous and generally self reliance. Charles has a large staff, but he has a large estate and house and many engagements.

In his first book, which I actually read, Barry--on the record and in a position to know--says that the POW, unlike older royals, didn't like to be helped getting dressed. Barry would just lay out this clothes. Hardly consistent with the unnamed sources in the articles you cited.

US Royal, If you choose to first not to avail yourself of the internet, and then not to believe anything thats been published thats up to you. We have a sticky on sources in the BRF forum which you might wish to review which discusses exactly this.

With regards to Charles I find people fall into a range of categories:

1. People who believe everything negative about him and nothing positive
2. People who believe everything positive and nothing negative
3. People who believe a bit of each

If you believe everything that is published about Charles you would believe that he is a good employer and a bad one, is self-reliant and can barely stand without help, is confident and lacks confidence, gets on with his parents and loathes his parents, had a great childhood and had an awful childhood, cheated on Diana from day 1 of the marriage and was faithful to Diana for anything up to 5 years, gets on well with his sons and is estranged from his sons, is in a loving supportive marriage and is in a marriage that is for show only etc etc etc. All of these stories have been written about him at times.

You can't believe everything that is published so you have to be critical. That is why Charles' haters (who also tend to be Diana fanatics) only believe the negatives while the Charles lovers' tend to only believe the positives. There are many people who are in the middle - and believe some of the good and some of the bad - and who actually look for explanations at times for the bad stories such as the pee bottle holding - a logical explanation that is ignored by those who wish to paint Charles in a negative light.

:previous:
In the same vein, the link provided by al_Bina a couple of posts above raises yet again the infamous "Charles and the toothpaste" story, although the writer does manage to expand its scope even further than before, viz "...the man who famously went into a decline at the loss of a particular butler because he missed the way he squeezed the toothpaste on to the royal toothbrush." Really?

The truth of course is more prosaic. Here's something for doubting members to try at home: tie one hand behind your back and then put toothpaste on your toothbrush. It's doable, in a fashion, but somewhat impractical, and generally messy. The fact is that, like the urine specimen, while Charles had his arm in a sling a butler assisted the Prince by putting the toothpaste on his toothbrush. Shock horreur! 20-plus years later, the story is still being used against him. That's life I guess, and some will gleefully repeat it ad nauseum, but in these Forums we'd prefer the discussion be kept factual and, even better, rational.

Dry-cleaning is not a self-explanatory phrase. Dry-cleaning involves liquid chemicals and a "dry-cleaning machine". So Charles' suits may go through more wear-and-tear than we imagine.

EPA/OPPT/Design for the Environment: Garment and Textile Care Publications - Frequently Asked Questions About Drycleaning

Choosing how to celebrate a landmark birthday is always tricky. For the Prince of Wales, the answer was a lavish party in the palace that will become his home, to the music of Richard Wagner.
The celebration took place in Buckingham Palace last Thursday, with 400 guests including George Osborne, the Chancellor, and his wife, Frances, and some of the wealthiest people in Britain.
“It was an exquisite evening,” one of the invitees tells Mandrake. “It started with a champagne reception and then there was a concert performed by the Philharmonia Orchestra.”

Prince Charles takes over Buckingham Palace for party fit for a king - Telegraph

:previous:
In the same vein, the link provided by al_Bina a couple of posts above raises yet again the infamous "Charles and the toothpaste" story, although the writer does manage to expand its scope even further than before, viz "...the man who famously went into a decline at the loss of a particular butler because he missed the way he squeezed the toothpaste on to the royal toothbrush." Really?

The truth of course is more prosaic. Here's something for doubting members to try at home: tie one hand behind your back and then put toothpaste on your toothbrush. It's doable, in a fashion, but somewhat impractical, and generally messy. The fact is that, like the urine specimen, while Charles had his arm in a sling a butler assisted the Prince by putting the toothpaste on his toothbrush. Shock horreur! 20-plus years later, the story is still being used against him. That's life I guess, and some will gleefully repeat it ad nauseum, but in these Forums we'd prefer the discussion be kept factual and, even better, rational.
The authour is within her rights to serve information she has got on Prince Charles under any sauce. That is what journalists do in in the enlightened western regimes.

I didn't think a party was held and I didn't remember hearing anyone talking about it.

The authour is within her rights to serve information she has got on Prince Charles under any sauce. That is what journalists do in in the enlightened western regimes.

No, the author should presents facts and should present the facts in context.

The Prince having his toothpaste put onto his toothbrush every day paints a picture of a completely different person than one having it put onto his toothbrush because he had a broken arm.

I didn't think a party was held and I didn't remember hearing anyone talking about it.

I remember reading about it somewhere here and dang if I can't find it now. :bang:

No, the author should presents facts and should present the facts in context.

The Prince having his toothpaste put onto his toothbrush every day paints a picture of a completely different person than one having it put onto his toothbrush because he had a broken arm.

So true - it is poor writing to not put the story into context and only fuels the false stories and exaggerated beliefs. Putting the story into the context of the events makes it understandable and explainable.

Journalists are expected to put their stories into context and leaving out the context makes the writer a poor journalist and could even be described as not a journalist but a fiction writer as the context changes the meaning of what they are saying.

In 'enlightened western regimes' we expect our journalists to give us the entire story - not just the bits they like.

Regimes with strong censorship laws are the ones that only want part of the story given out - if any at all.

You are correct. Every journalist has the right to speak out and say their piece. Not all journalist however are dedicated to straight reporting of the who, what, where, why and hows of things though. Some journalist are dedicated to reporting the facts of a situation. Some journalists prefer to write on their own political slants. Some journalists are in business solely to expose and malign their subjects and some journalists are frankly just in it to make money.

The trick is to recognize the differences. This entire Charles discussion of late started with an interview that was published in TIME magazine which has been a reputable source of information for decades. Someone from a tabloid such as The News Of The World could and would take a slant of something said in TIME and put their own "sauce" on it giving it a bit of shock value. It dilutes and colors the truth to their own end.

Personally I'm sticking with what I read in TIME.

With regards to Charles I find people fall into a range of categories:

1. People who believe everything negative about him and nothing positive
2. People who believe everything positive and nothing negative
3. People who believe a bit of each

If you believe everything that is published about Charles you would believe that he is a good employer and a bad one, is self-reliant and can barely stand without help, is confident and lacks confidence, gets on with his parents and loathes his parents, had a great childhood and had an awful childhood, cheated on Diana from day 1 of the marriage and was faithful to Diana for anything up to 5 years, gets on well with his sons and is estranged from his sons, is in a loving supportive marriage and is in a marriage that is for show only etc etc etc. All of these stories have been written about him at times.

You can't believe everything that is published so you have to be critical. That is why Charles' haters (who also tend to be Diana fanatics) only believe the negatives while the Charles lovers' tend to only believe the positives. There are many people who are in the middle - and believe some of the good and some of the bad - and who actually look for explanations at times for the bad stories such as the pee bottle holding - a logical explanation that is ignored by those who wish to paint Charles in a negative light.

Exactly. I know Charles is not perfect, but I also know his critics are not perfect either. The Charles haters do not seem to understand that they are undermining their own arguments when they spread untrue stories, such as falsely attributing a claim to Stephen Barry, or take something out of context in an effort to make him seem worse than he is. If he is truly that horrible, they wouldn't have to make things up or omit facts. The truth would give them a lot of ammunition.

In this case, if Charles had been overly reliant on personal staff, Diana would have disclosed it during the "War of the Waleses"--she certainly talked about other intimate matters.

Charles is flawed, but many members of his staff have worked for him for years. Difficult and demanding bosses tend to generate a lot of employee turnover.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom