The Prince of Wales Current Events 12: April 2013 - June 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what memories Charles has of his grandmother. I know she died in 1969, when Charles was about twenty, but up until 1967 she lived largely in Greece, I believe. The relationship of the Queen's children with their paternal relations is rarely written about and has always intrigued me.

I was thinking the same thing Curryong. As Princess Alice was Philip's mother, I'm sure that there was frequent contact with her but from personal experience, I rather doubt a lot of that was done by telephone as us with hearing problems tend to dislike using the phone. Perhaps Charles and his grandmother exchanged letters over time. Charles, as we've come to know, is a voracious letter writer and perhaps he picked up this habit early on in his childhood by writing to his grandmother in Greece? That'd be my guess anyways.

I've always admired Princess Alice of Battenberg and it is quite an honor to be buried where she is in Israel.

I was thinking the same thing Curryong. As Princess Alice was Philip's mother, I'm sure that there was frequent contact with her but from personal experience, I rather doubt a lot of that was done by telephone as us with hearing problems tend to dislike using the phone. Perhaps Charles and his grandmother exchanged letters over time. Charles, as we've come to know, is a voracious letter writer and perhaps he picked up this habit early on in his childhood by writing to his grandmother in Greece? That'd be my guess anyways.

I've always admired Princess Alice of Battenberg and it is quite an honor to be buried where she is in Israel.

I read that Princess Alice lived with HM and Prince Phillip prior to her death so Charles would have had a chance to get to know her.

I don't always like to use wikipedia, but it confirms what I read earlier about Princess Alice living with HM and Prince Phillip, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Alice_of_Battenberg.

It is a gift by the Jewish community in London and he wears it whenever he goes to a Jewish event

That's interesting, I didn't realise - the phrase "you learn something new everyday" is certainly applicable for TRF! :) Thank you for sharing that little snippet of information. That's a nice gesture.

Thanks Conny. Learning that the yarmulke was a gift from the London Jewish community makes it all that more special that he wore it recently in Israel. It is almost like Charles was not at the funeral solely representing his monarch and country but also representing the British Jewish communities.

Just another example I think of perhaps the next monarch of the UK is going to be quite in tune with all the people. Even the diverse communities.

I read that Princess Alice lived with HM and Prince Phillip prior to her death so Charles would have had a chance to get to know her.

I don't always like to use wikipedia, but it confirms what I read earlier about Princess Alice living with HM and Prince Phillip, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Alice_of_Battenberg.

Yes, Princess Andrew did live at BP, Duchess, but I don't know how much daily contact Charles in particular would have had with her in her last years. As for his siblings, Edward was still very young when she died, Andrew was going to day school, and Anne had her equestrian activities. I think Charles was up at Cambridge University in those years.

I read that Anne remarked once of her grandmother that you could always tell when she was around because of the clouds of cigarette smoke that preceded her! Is she the reason none of the Queen's children smoke, I wonder! :lol:

It was the earlier years I really wonder about, the years when Princess Andrew lived in Greece and was still reasonably active. I've never read that Prince Philip took his children on private holidays to Greece, so perhaps Alice went to Germany to one of Philip's sisters and they all met up there. Perhaps, as Osipi suggested, the main conduit was through letters as Princess Alice was congenitally deaf anyway.

It's always intrigued me, because in spite of the tragedy of his mother's incarceration when he was young which lasted for quite a time, I do think that Prince Philip was quietly proud of his mother and her life. We never read any details about this relationship, or whether his grandmother's deep interest in theology, an interest that goes back in Alice's line through Grand Duchess Ella in Russia, Alice of Hesse and the Prince Consort, had any influence on Charles in particular.

The whole relationship with their paternal grandmother and their aunts and uncles and cousins on Philip's side seems to be, in biographies of the Queen's children, just really skimmed over, and it shouldn't be, I think.

I did read something about Charles visiting his grandmother's grave - for the first time ever I thought Of Course! he did have two! - Didn't know it was while attending the funeral, nice he was there.
What a load of noise about his head attire! Charles being Charles it would be all about respect not "me me me!" Horrified is the word that springs to mind at the idea!

Someone was obviously short a few column inches this week!

The Prince of Wales made a visit to a sustainable salmon farm at Marine Harvest's Loch Leven Fish Farm, on Loch Leven at Onich, by Fort William, Inverness-shire, today, October 13:

** atlanticopress.pt gallery **

Does anyone know the tartan the POW is wearing? It is not Balmoral, Western Isles, Rothesay, Isle of Harris... I do like it a lot.

Yesterday, October 26, the Prince of Wales hosted a reception at Clarence House to celebrate the achievement of those shortlisted for Nursing Times Awards. Earlier in the day he had met Nursing Times Awards finalists at St Mary's Hospital.

** nursingtimes.net: HRH the Prince of Wales plays host to 2016 Nursing Times Awards finalists **

** dailymail: Charles to the rescue! The Prince of Wales shows off his first aid skills as he performs CPR..**

** getwestlondon: Prince Charles visits St Mary's Hospital to meet star nurses ahead of awards ceremony **

The Prince of Wales joined celebrated authors, publishers and other guests at a reception to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the revival of the Everyman Library at St James's Place on October 26:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

The Prince of Wales attended the consecration of the new St Thomas Cathedral, a Syrian Orthodox Church, in west London, today, November 24:

** gettyimages gallery **

5 events for Prince of Wales today 7th December - source CC

Clarence House
7th December, 2016

The Prince of Wales this morning visited the Bank of England, Threadneedle Street, London EC2.

His Royal Highness later received the Rt. Hon. Priti Patel MP (Secretary of State for International Development).

The Prince of Wales, Patron, the Youth United Foundation, this afternoon held a Meeting.

His Royal Highness subsequently received the Rt. Hon. Gregory Clark MP (Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy).

The Prince of Wales received Dame Louise Casey (Director General, the Casey Review Team).

The Prince of Wales made a visit to the Russian Orthodox Church's Dormition Cathedral in Knightsbridge, London, today, December 13:

** gettyimages gallery **

The Prince of Wales attended the 'Style for Soldiers' Christmas Reunion Party and met injured servicemen and women who have been helped by the charity, and others who have supported them. The event took place at Spencer House in London yesterday, December 14:

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery **

A fantastic charity that supplies walking sticks but also clthes for veterans for interviews and other events. Great to see Charles supporting it. Might be a nice cause to see Harry involved with, goes along with his veterans focus,

That was my first thought too Countessmeout. Right up Harry's alley. Perhaps if there is any kind of shuffling around when Charles becomes King, this will move over to Harry's veteran's endeavors.

The Prince of Wales officially opened 'Cornerstone', a multi-use local community hub and Welsh Catholic heritage centre housed in a recently restored and formerly disused Chapel, in Cardiff yesterday, December 16:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** fb gallery **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom