The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Aristocracy

The Prince of Wales's attendance at the 2013 State Opening of Parliament and Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting are part of a broader pattern of Charles assuming more public duties in his role as future King.

Representing the Queen: The Prince of Wales to Attend Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in 2013 | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian

Old 05-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Thanks to you both for the Order of the Thistle sash answer. Worn with the Garter chain. I learn new things every time I look at the snaps of major events.

The DM has come out with excellent pictures of the event and there are much better shots of everyone's Honors, badges, jewels, etc.
Queen's Speech: Immigration crackdown, boosts for business, help for pensioners and HS2 as Prince Charles attends first Queen's Speech for first time in 17 years | Mail Online
Now I know that TSOOP cannot be the most thrilling thing, but one wonders if it took place when the POW usually has a nap.Did they give him a sleeping pill or something? Is he ill?

Old 05-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Charles and Queen in Royal jobshare: As Her Majesty scales back foreign trips, Palace gives Prince more prominent role:
Prince Charles and Queen in Royal jobshare as Her Majesty scales back foreign trips | Mail Online
Great photos!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Now I know that TSOOP cannot be the most thrilling thing, but one wonders if it took place when the POW usually has a nap.Did they give him a sleeping pill or something? Is he ill?

If I have to listen to something that is detailed and intense, such as this speech, I find that if I close my eyes I can concentrate on what is being said far easier than if there are all sorts of distractions around me.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I'd imagine that closing one's eyes might help one concentrate a little better, and I bet there are a lot of things to distract oneself with (visually that is) during this particular event. I know that if I had no vision issues and were present at the ceremony, I'd be looking all over the place, and not paying attention to a word that was being said. Perhaps His Highness can be easily distracted?

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I'd imagine that closing one's eyes might help one concentrate a little better, and I bet there are a lot of things to distract oneself with (visually that is) during this particular event. I know that if I had no vision issues and were present at the ceremony, I'd be looking all over the place, and not paying attention to a word that was being said. Perhaps His Highness can be easily distracted?
Makes sense.When I was distracted in school, my aide would take me for a walk, or let me read a book, but Charles cannot get up and leave, or pull out a book can he? I bet that's exactly what he was doing.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
True. When I was distracted in school, my aide would take me for a walk, or let me read a book, but Charles cannot get up and leave, or pull out a book can he? I bet that's exactly what he was doing.
I do that with my kids too. I bet His Highness may wish at moments like this that he were indeed in a situation where leaving for a little bit to get one's thoughts together was allowed and acceptable.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I do that with my kids too. I bet His Highness may wish at moments like this that he were indeed in a situation where leaving for a little bit to get one's thoughts together was allowed and acceptable.
Know I would!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

This is just my opinion - but he needs to notice and learn his mum's facial expressions. She has this look that says "I'm in charge, and this may be too droll but I am sucking it up because I am tough as heck and I won't let them see me being less than THE QUEEN"

Do you know the look I mean? She doesn't look happy, but she does look like she is listening, though her thoughts may be a bit dark or skeptical. But she never shows that she is bored. He needs to learn that look.

We all do this in out jobs - slap on a face because it all goes better when we do. He needs to as well, IMHO.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Majesty

No - don't know the look you mean. She often looks bored when listening to speeches and always has done so.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
This is just my opinion - but he needs to notice and learn his mum's facial expressions. She has this look that says "I'm in charge, and this may be too droll but I am sucking it up because I am tough as heck and I won't let them see me being less than THE QUEEN"

Do you know the look I mean? She doesn't look happy, but she does look like she is listening, though her thoughts may be a bit dark or skeptical. But she never shows that she is bored. He needs to learn that look.

We all do this in out jobs - slap on a face because it all goes better when we do. He needs to as well, IMHO.
Oh, definitely! My mom and dad often comment on how much Charles needs to learn this!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I totally know what you mean. I personally love the look that she seems to often get when people sing "God Save the Queen." It's very... "Damn right, I am the Queen and you will sing!"
Old 05-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
No - don't know the look you mean. She often looks bored when listening to speeches and always has done so.
Absolutely true. I watched the State Opening of Parliament steaming live last night and whilst Charles looked pensive (which he often does during speeches) I didn't think he looked "bored" at any stage.

When it comes to photos we have to remember the shutter speed of cameras and that the picture we see was an expression that lasted a fraction of a second and, for the most part, The Queen is almost alway shown in a good light, the same cannot be said of Charles. It is like they go out of the way to show him in a poor light.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Charles: Harry

Prince Charles has been at Watisham today, presenting medals to Harry's unit for their service in Afghanistan. What he has to say about the Air Corps, eir families and the insight into his relationship with Harry is worth reading.

It also mentions other info about BRF but that is just repeat info. The stuff about today's visit is new - which is why it's on this thread.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Ignoring climate change turns world into 'dying patient', says Prince Charles - Telegraph

Yesterday, after the Opening of Parliament, Charles held a conference at SJP on climate change.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

The DM on the POW at Wattisham today. There are nice photos and the piece is less snarky than usual.

Photos of the Prince show him to be very animated today. It must make a difference to know that these are Harry's comrades in arms. As much as the POW always looks engaged when visiting troops, I am sure this is a bit more meaningful for him.

'Harry shoved off knowing his ancient parents were here': Prince Charles jokes as soldier son misses out on service medal by flying to US for royal tour | Mail Online
Old 05-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The DM on the POW at Wattisham today. There are nice photos and the piece is less snarky than usual.

Photos of the Prince show him to be very animated today. It must make a difference to know that these are Harry's comrades in arms. As much as the POW always looks engaged when visiting troops, I am sure this is a bit more meaningful for him.

'Harry shoved off knowing his ancient parents were here': Prince Charles jokes as soldier son misses out on service medal by flying to US for royal tour | Mail Online
Wonderful photos!
Old 05-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Aristocracy

Reading this article, I happened to look over at the other DM "news" and noticed that the King and Queen of Sweden are in NYC visiting Princess Madeleine and will be a few other places on the East Coast on official business, the Crown Prince and Princess of Norway have been in Texas and California this past week, and now Harry is in Washington D.C.

Are there any other royals that would like to come visit the USA? We'll treat you nice, promise.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Majesty

Pictures:
Prince Charles Visits the Royal College of Music:
Prince Charles, President of the Royal College of Music, officiates the school's annual awards ceremony-
Prince Charles Visits the Royal College of Music - Pictures - Zimbio

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-15-2013, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Pictures:
Prince Charles Visits the Royal College of Music:
Prince Charles, President of the Royal College of Music, officiates the school's annual awards ceremony-
Prince Charles Visits the Royal College of Music - Pictures - Zimbio
HRH looks splendid in that robe! The blue and gold robes of TRCOM are so pretty! Love the smile in Pic 1, and Pic 4 where HRH is clapping, and be-bopping along!