The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I doubt his suits and shoes are being washed at all, let a lone in a machine! Perhaps the princely undergarments and socks....though knowing Charles' predeliction for staff, I would bet there is a princely hand laundress!
Dry-cleaning is not a self-explanatory phrase. Dry-cleaning involves liquid chemicals and a "dry-cleaning machine". So Charles' suits may go through more wear-and-tear than we imagine.

EPA/OPPT/Design for the Environment: Garment and Textile Care Publications - Frequently Asked Questions About Drycleaning

Old 11-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Choosing how to celebrate a landmark birthday is always tricky. For the Prince of Wales, the answer was a lavish party in the palace that will become his home, to the music of Richard Wagner.
The celebration took place in Buckingham Palace last Thursday, with 400 guests including George Osborne, the Chancellor, and his wife, Frances, and some of the wealthiest people in Britain.
“It was an exquisite evening,” one of the invitees tells Mandrake. “It started with a champagne reception and then there was a concert performed by the Philharmonia Orchestra.”
Prince Charles takes over Buckingham Palace for party fit for a king - Telegraph

"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my TRF group about British Royal Children!
Old 11-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

In the same vein, the link provided by al_Bina a couple of posts above raises yet again the infamous "Charles and the toothpaste" story, although the writer does manage to expand its scope even further than before, viz "...the man who famously went into a decline at the loss of a particular butler because he missed the way he squeezed the toothpaste on to the royal toothbrush." Really?

The truth of course is more prosaic. Here's something for doubting members to try at home: tie one hand behind your back and then put toothpaste on your toothbrush. It's doable, in a fashion, but somewhat impractical, and generally messy. The fact is that, like the urine specimen, while Charles had his arm in a sling a butler assisted the Prince by putting the toothpaste on his toothbrush. Shock horreur! 20-plus years later, the story is still being used against him. That's life I guess, and some will gleefully repeat it ad nauseum, but in these Forums we'd prefer the discussion be kept factual and, even better, rational.
The authour is within her rights to serve information she has got on Prince Charles under any sauce. That is what journalists do in in the enlightened western regimes.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Majesty

I didn't think a party was held and I didn't remember hearing anyone talking about it.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 11-24-2013, 03:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
The authour is within her rights to serve information she has got on Prince Charles under any sauce. That is what journalists do in in the enlightened western regimes.
No, the author should presents facts and should present the facts in context.

The Prince having his toothpaste put onto his toothbrush every day paints a picture of a completely different person than one having it put onto his toothbrush because he had a broken arm.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I didn't think a party was held and I didn't remember hearing anyone talking about it.
I remember reading about it somewhere here and dang if I can't find it now.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
No, the author should presents facts and should present the facts in context.

The Prince having his toothpaste put onto his toothbrush every day paints a picture of a completely different person than one having it put onto his toothbrush because he had a broken arm.
So true - it is poor writing to not put the story into context and only fuels the false stories and exaggerated beliefs. Putting the story into the context of the events makes it understandable and explainable.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Journalists are expected to put their stories into context and leaving out the context makes the writer a poor journalist and could even be described as not a journalist but a fiction writer as the context changes the meaning of what they are saying.

In 'enlightened western regimes' we expect our journalists to give us the entire story - not just the bits they like.

Regimes with strong censorship laws are the ones that only want part of the story given out - if any at all.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
You are correct. Every journalist has the right to speak out and say their piece. Not all journalist however are dedicated to straight reporting of the who, what, where, why and hows of things though. Some journalist are dedicated to reporting the facts of a situation. Some journalists prefer to write on their own political slants. Some journalists are in business solely to expose and malign their subjects and some journalists are frankly just in it to make money.

The trick is to recognize the differences. This entire Charles discussion of late started with an interview that was published in TIME magazine which has been a reputable source of information for decades. Someone from a tabloid such as The News Of The World could and would take a slant of something said in TIME and put their own "sauce" on it giving it a bit of shock value. It dilutes and colors the truth to their own end.

Personally I'm sticking with what I read in TIME.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
With regards to Charles I find people fall into a range of categories:

1. People who believe everything negative about him and nothing positive
2. People who believe everything positive and nothing negative
3. People who believe a bit of each

If you believe everything that is published about Charles you would believe that he is a good employer and a bad one, is self-reliant and can barely stand without help, is confident and lacks confidence, gets on with his parents and loathes his parents, had a great childhood and had an awful childhood, cheated on Diana from day 1 of the marriage and was faithful to Diana for anything up to 5 years, gets on well with his sons and is estranged from his sons, is in a loving supportive marriage and is in a marriage that is for show only etc etc etc. All of these stories have been written about him at times.

You can't believe everything that is published so you have to be critical. That is why Charles' haters (who also tend to be Diana fanatics) only believe the negatives while the Charles lovers' tend to only believe the positives. There are many people who are in the middle - and believe some of the good and some of the bad - and who actually look for explanations at times for the bad stories such as the pee bottle holding - a logical explanation that is ignored by those who wish to paint Charles in a negative light.
Exactly. I know Charles is not perfect, but I also know his critics are not perfect either. The Charles haters do not seem to understand that they are undermining their own arguments when they spread untrue stories, such as falsely attributing a claim to Stephen Barry, or take something out of context in an effort to make him seem worse than he is. If he is truly that horrible, they wouldn't have to make things up or omit facts. The truth would give them a lot of ammunition.

In this case, if Charles had been overly reliant on personal staff, Diana would have disclosed it during the "War of the Waleses"--she certainly talked about other intimate matters.

Charles is flawed, but many members of his staff have worked for him for years. Difficult and demanding bosses tend to generate a lot of employee turnover.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Really? Odd that was never mentioned during the classes I took in College for my Broadcast Journalism Diploma.

When you don't have a clue about what you are talking about, don't say anything. Unless you want come across as a complete fool that is.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 11-24-2013, 08:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
Dry-cleaning is not a self-explanatory phrase. Dry-cleaning involves liquid chemicals and a "dry-cleaning machine". So Charles' suits may go through more wear-and-tear than we imagine.

EPA/OPPT/Design for the Environment: Garment and Textile Care Publications - Frequently Asked Questions About Drycleaning
Thing is... dry cleaning was never mentioned at all in the DM article for Charles' 65th birthday. all it said was 36 Nothing he wears is washed in a machine.. We're left to speculate just how his clothing is tended to.

There's a lot of interesting tidbits in this article that could be speculated on, colored, tinted, dyed and folded to fit just about any speculator's creative mind.

Charles at 65: He's never without his porcupine tooth pick and doesn't own a mobile. But then he's a true Duchy original... and we're proud to be the first to say: Happy Birthday! | Mail Online
Old 12-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Majesty

Videos:
The Prince of Wales mingled with artists and narrowly escaped a messy handshake as he visited a newly refurbished museum. Charles arrived at the Higgins Bedford in the town centre about 10 minutes late - but only because he was greeting members of the public after disembarking from a helicopter in nearby Russell Park.

He shared a laugh with local artist Heather Petty, who offered her hand to him, only to realise it was covered in paint-
Home - ITNSource News

Video:
Charles visited St Paul's Church, stopping to chat with waiting locals on the way. Inside the church, as school choirs sang Christmas carols, he met people from charities, community groups and voluntary organisations.

The Prince arrived in time to admire the Christmas Tree Festival, with some 60 trees inside the church decorated for the festive season. Later Charles unveiled a mosaic memorial to honour the women who flew out of RAF Tempsford to aid resistance movements in occupied Europe-
Home - ITNSource News

Video:
The Prince of Wales today paid a visit to Jordans Mill in Biggleswade, owned by the Jordans Charitable Trust, set up by the family behind the original Jordans Cereals brand. He was given a tour of the flour mill which has been in the Jordan family for 150 years and is now run as a visitor centre.

He had a look around the market garden and met staff from the adjacent cereal factory owned by the Jordans & Ryvita Company which produces breakfast cereals and snacks-
Home - ITNSource News

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 12-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Heir Apparent

4th event for Charles today - unveiling a memorial to the women who were parachuted into occupied Europe during WWII. Very brave

Search - Getty Images UK: GBR: Prince Charles Visits Bedfordshire

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Courtier

The edition of Country Life edited by Prince Charles is breaking sales records for the magazine.

Prince Charles effect breaks record for Country Life | PR Week
Old 12-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Majesty

Video:
Prince Charles Attends DEC 50th Anniversary Event-
Home - ITNSource News

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 12-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Charles visiting Glasgow to day to meet with survivors and rescue workers from the helicopter crash last week

BBC News - Prince visits Glasgow Clutha helicopter crash scene

gallery

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/Search/...roduct=Royalty

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Majesty

Video:
The Prince of Wales has visited the site where a police helicopter crashed into a busy pub, killing nine people. Charles met members of the emergency services at the Clutha bar in Glasgow where tragedy struck a week ago.

He heard about the complex rescue and recovery operation from Police Scotland Chief Constable Sir Stephen House. During the visit he paid tribute to Nelson Mandela who died yesterday at the age of 95-
Home - ITNSource News

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 12-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Serene Highness

DM article with some precious photos :

Prince Charles visits scene of Glasgow helicopter crash | Mail Online
Old 12-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I have no words for how precious the first picture is.