The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Prince Charles has also made a donation to the Cumbria Flood Recovery Fund, Clarence House said. He previously visited Carlisle in 2005 after the city was hit by severe floodin, meeting with householders, emergency services and council leaders and offering his support.

Meanwhile, Conservative leader David Cameron arrived at Carlisle railway station just before noon today (Tuesday) on a fact-finding visit to the area.
He was due to travel to Cockermouth Fire Station to meet emergency service workers and people affected by the floods.

Whitehaven News | News | Prince Charles to visit flood scenes

Old 11-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I thought Prince Charles would be the royal to visit cumbria. I'm glad he has decided to visit the area.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Pics 26.+27.11.2009

Prince Charles, Colonel in Chief of the Mercian Regiment,
during a medal ceremony at Clarence House in London
November 26, 2009.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Prince Charles during investitures at Buckingham Palace in
London, November 27, 2009.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga **

Prince Charles visits the Northern Community Centre in
Workington, Cumbria, Britain - 27 Nov 2009. He made the
visit in order to see how the Community is coping after the
floods. The centre was built on the outskirts of Workington
after the floods cut off parts of the town.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga **
Old 11-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Thank you very much for the articles.
The pictures from the visit to cumbria are beautiful.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

I love the pictures of Prince Charles during investitures at Buckingham Palace, especially the way the reciepients look up at him. He is really looking every bit a "king" these days, IMO.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

He does look very regal at these investitures doesn't he. :)
Old 12-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Administrator

PRINCE Charles praised the quality of Ulverston Victoria High School’s (UVHS) English curriculum during a special reception at Clarence House.
Pupils and teachers were invited to the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall’s personal residence in London to celebrate the school’s Programme Mark accreditation, awarded by the Prince’s Teaching Institute.

Prince Charles opens his home to Ulverston school party (From The Westmorland Gazette)

Old 12-09-2009, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

Prince Charles taps police for loan - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Britain's Prince Charles borrowed 3,000 pounds ($5,380) from his protection officers after the royal found himself short of cash and needing to fork out for "travel expenses", reports say.

The heir to the throne repaid the loan to his officers after they stumped up the money, thought to be for flights abroad.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

This sounds like extremely poor organisation to me. Can't the minders simply be issued with a credit card on an account in Charles' name to pay for things for him if he can't be trained to carry one himself? It seems absurd for there to have to be an accounting between the departments.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Pics 11.12.2009

Prince Charles attending investitures at Buckingham Palace,
London, 11 December 2009.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **
Old 12-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Commoner

I read on another forum that the story about the prince borrowing the money is incorrect, so I looked on the Prince of Wales website, and it says the story about him borrowing the money is incorrect.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

Prince Charles accused of meddling with letters to ministers - Times Online

A Cabinet minister was lobbied by aides of the Prince of Wales over the design of eco-towns within hours of being appointed, it has emerged.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator

The Prince of Wales at the Islamic Relief 25th anniversary Gala
Dinner in the Grosvenor House Hotel in London, December 17,

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga **
Old 12-18-2009, 05:28 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Prince Charles accused of meddling with letters to ministers - Times Online

A Cabinet minister was lobbied by aides of the Prince of Wales over the design of eco-towns within hours of being appointed, it has emerged.
When he becomes King isn't he supposed to advise and warn the Government of the day? I know he is not the monarch yet, but I don't see why there should be a problem. As a Privy Counsellor as well, doesn't he have a right to talk to members of one of it's (technical) subcommittees?
Old 12-18-2009, 07:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
When he becomes King isn't he supposed to advise and warn the Government of the day? I know he is not the monarch yet, but I don't see why there should be a problem. As a Privy Counsellor as well, doesn't he have a right to talk to members of one of it's (technical) subcommittees?

ALL citizens have the right to write to, or otherwise contact, a MP but some would like to suggest that the Prince of Wales is doing something illegal when he is doing something totally within the rights of any citizen.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Commoner

There is a piece in the Telegraph today saying the same thing, adding as a member of the privy council it is part of the job!
Old 12-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Prince Charles faces Government meddling claims over letters to ministers | Mail Online

Prince Charles accused of ‘meddling in government affairs’ - Telegraph
Old 12-19-2009, 03:15 AM
Administrator

Why we must listen to Prince Charles - Telegraph

Prince Charles's track record for prescience is good, he has valuable things to say and he is often more in tune with the public than ministers are.

Excerpts:

What a to-do there has been about the Prince of Wales's letters. According to reports in a Left-wing newspaper this week, he has been meddling in Government policy, expressing strong opinions on subjects from culture to pensions. Defra, the Department for International Development, the Foreign Office and the Treasury are among the honoured recipients of his missives. And frankly I am aghast. There were eight letters in all. My reaction is: what? Only eight?

His views have been formed by a lifetime spent travelling the world, founding charities, consulting with the most eminent men and women in their fields, and meeting ordinary people. It's a range of experience far beyond that of any politician – and his opinions, so often derided when first made public, have a habit of turning into received wisdom with time. In this lies the Prince's value. He has done things. Sometimes his experience lies in areas that are poorly represented in politics. The House of Commons has become a largely urban institution, whose failure to understand the countryside has been particularly manifest under Labour. It would be surprising, however, if the Prince of Wales did not know about the countryside because he owns quite a bit of it.

Listening to Radio 4's PM programme in the car on Thursday afternoon, I nearly drove into a milk lorry when Lord Haskins chirped up, criticising the Prince's access to ministers. The millionaire former chairman of the agribusiness Northern Foods, Haskins has access aplenty. He was made a peer; he writes Government reports. Don't tell me that chief executives of multinational companies can't speak to ministers when they want to. It would be rum if they couldn't.

The Prince of Wales deserves the same privilege. Which is healthier: the Prince, as privy councillor, getting out his fountain pen, or a billionaire lushing up Peter Mandelson on a yacht? I know which I'd choose.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Why we must listen to Prince Charles - Telegraph

Prince Charles's track record for prescience is good, he has valuable things to say and he is often more in tune with the public than ministers are.

Excerpts:

What a to-do there has been about the Prince of Wales's letters. According to reports in a Left-wing newspaper this week, he has been meddling in Government policy, expressing strong opinions on subjects from culture to pensions. Defra, the Department for International Development, the Foreign Office and the Treasury are among the honoured recipients of his missives. And frankly I am aghast. There were eight letters in all. My reaction is: what? Only eight?

His views have been formed by a lifetime spent travelling the world, founding charities, consulting with the most eminent men and women in their fields, and meeting ordinary people. It's a range of experience far beyond that of any politician – and his opinions, so often derided when first made public, have a habit of turning into received wisdom with time. In this lies the Prince's value. He has done things. Sometimes his experience lies in areas that are poorly represented in politics. The House of Commons has become a largely urban institution, whose failure to understand the countryside has been particularly manifest under Labour. It would be surprising, however, if the Prince of Wales did not know about the countryside because he owns quite a bit of it.

Listening to Radio 4's PM programme in the car on Thursday afternoon, I nearly drove into a milk lorry when Lord Haskins chirped up, criticising the Prince's access to ministers. The millionaire former chairman of the agribusiness Northern Foods, Haskins has access aplenty. He was made a peer; he writes Government reports. Don't tell me that chief executives of multinational companies can't speak to ministers when they want to. It would be rum if they couldn't.

The Prince of Wales deserves the same privilege. Which is healthier: the Prince, as privy councillor, getting out his fountain pen, or a billionaire lushing up Peter Mandelson on a yacht? I know which I'd choose.

Isn't great to read a positive article about the Prince of Wales for a change.

Tags
charles, prince of wales