The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Their trip to New Orleans was very much appreciated by the people there. As an American who had heard so much in the news about this tragedy, this was the first time I got to see some of the awful aftermath of the storm. I think they're back to doing what the royals do best - bringing attention, not to themselves, but to the people and places that otherwise would be forgotten.

It was expected that the trip would generate more interest as they travelled through the country. It looks like they planned the trip right, with Charles' views on the environment, he was bound to get a more welcome reception in California. They get to end the tour on a high note.

Old 11-05-2005, 10:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

There trip to New Orleans did bring much needed attention. In this ADD world and generation people become quite complacent. This was the first time that I had seen New Orleans since it was flooded. It was the first time that I saw the damage the floods did after the water receded. It was also the first time that I saw how much New Orleans has recovered so far. Thank you Chuck and Milla for giving us a much needed reminder.

Old 11-05-2005, 11:11 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
It appears that the British media can't stand good news. My mother in law was going on this morning about what a flop this visit was and that Americans have shown they find Charles boring and Camilla frunpy etc etc. The American news seems to be a bit different, but good news doesn't sell papers.
How did she come up with that opinion, Elspeth? The story has been on the front pages of cnn, msnbc, abcnews, and cbsnews for a solid week. For all the talk about Americans being apathetic, these newssites are businesses, they're not going to put the story on the front page if they don't think people are interested.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:24 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

The Camilla Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
For all the talk about Americans being apathetic, these newssites are businesses, they're not going to put the story on the front page if they don't think people are interested.
Similar story here in Australia (well, at least in Sydney). Our television news has given this tour quite extensive coverage. Put it down to the Camilla factor: people are curious.
Same with the debut tiara appearance the other day: every newpaper had a big colour photo of a glittering Camilla.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
How did she come up with that opinion, Elspeth? The story has been on the front pages of cnn, msnbc, abcnews, and cbsnews for a solid week. For all the talk about Americans being apathetic, these newssites are businesses, they're not going to put the story on the front page if they don't think people are interested.
She's getting her news from BBC radio and her local paper in England (she doesn't take any of the national papers). Somehow she got the message from them that the tour isn't a success. On the other hand, she does tend to wallow in bad news, so she may be reading more into the reports than is really there.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Of Wales & Duchess Of Cornwall US Visit - Day 1
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...%7c0&p=1&tag=7

Prince Of Wales & Duchess Of Cornwall US Visit - Day 2
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...7c0&p=1&tag=10

Prince Of Wales & Duchess Of Cornwall US Visit - Day 3
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...7c0&p=1&tag=11

Prince Of Wales & Duchess Of Cornwall US Visit - Day 4
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...7c0&p=3&tag=15

Prince Of Wales & Duchess Of Cornwall US Visit - Day 5
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...7c0&p=3&tag=19
Old 11-06-2005, 07:33 AM
Serene Highness

Pictures from Colourpress part 1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	210092   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	210093   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	210094   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	210095  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	210096   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	210097  
Old 11-06-2005, 07:38 AM
Serene Highness

More pictures from Colourpress part 2
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	210098   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	210099   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	210100   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	210101  

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	210102   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	210103  
Old 11-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Boxed and dolled

The 1st pic below (thank you misshelen) is a Prince Charles doll in a box!
Never seen this before.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:22 PM
Courtier

New pics from New Orleans...Newscom
Attached Images

They make the best husbands!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2005, 06:04 PM

Now, these are the sort of protestors I like;

Old 11-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Britain's Prince Charles and Camilla Duchess of Cornwall arrive at St. Columba Church in Inverness, Calif., Sunday Nov. 6, 2005.

All from AP
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

All from AP
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

#1-7: AP
#8-10: Reuters
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Charles, Camilla Attend Church
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&feed=rss.news

Prince Charles, Camilla Attend Church
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?i...C-RSSFeeds0312

Prince Charles and Camilla attend church on second day of visit to California
http://www.canada.com/news/world/sto...6-71cc3d5221f5

Charles and Camilla join Sunday prayers
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/06112005/35...y-prayers.html

Royal couple are spending the day in the Bay area
http://www.kbcitv.com/x51828.xml?URL...ionalHeadlines

Royals attend church on US tour
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4412996.stm
Old 11-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

#1-2,5-6: AP
#3-4: Reuters
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wayne
Steve Croft, whom I am not very familiar with as I don't watch "60 Minutes", must have been thinking it was an informal interview. I don't think any interview with Prince Charles would be informally taken as the first interview before Charles comes here to the U.S., however the reporters in the U.S. vary in their opinions, so I am not to discount the idea that he feels that he is closer to Charles than anyone at that interview, when in fact he is fooling himself. You are correct, Lady Jean, he did not ask that question correctly, but rather, presumptively, posed the question as an interrogatory and investigative miscue. He should have corrected himself.
I noticed at one point in the interview, when they were sitting on a bench together, Steve Croft reached out and touched Charles' shoulder. Steve must not have read the protocol memo saying "No touching"! I was very surprised he did that (and that Charles didn't react too much).
Old 11-06-2005, 07:31 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejonnhy25
There trip to New Orleans did bring much needed attention. In this ADD world and generation people become quite complacent. This was the first time that I had seen New Orleans since it was flooded. It was the first time that I saw the damage the floods did after the water receded. It was also the first time that I saw how much New Orleans has recovered so far. Thank you Chuck and Milla for giving us a much needed reminder.
How could you NOT have seen New Orleans post-flood? I see it every night!

But people forget about the areas of Texas, Mississippi and Alabama that were totally blown off the map. Those areas aren't on the news every night, and they need even more help.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, if people donate money for hurricane relief, it can go to all the areas where help is needed unless they specify that it should go for use in New Orleans.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

It was wonderful to see St Columba's Church being included in the itinerary. I worshipped at that church for 15+ years and my children were baptised there. It is part of the very conservative side of the Anglican church. It is very interesting that they chose this part of California for the C&C's visit. The farmers market they visited yesterday are only 10 minutes away. It is in rural Marin county and very beautiful. But it is not where I would expect anyone to be impressed by someone with titles or royal blood. The 60's influence still run very deep in this part of the SF bay area.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, official visit, prince charles, prince of wales, united states