The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-03-2005, 08:16 AM
Administrator

What American media coverage are you reading that has been negative? Other than the New York Post, which I agree was a rude cover but unfortunately its par for the course with that paper...totally like the Sun in my opinion. I believe that the coverage has been sort of fair and balanced. I saw sort of...because there have been comparisons to Diana..but I believe that happens in the British media as well. Overall, I would say that Camilla has been accepted. Tina Brown also had a pretty decent article this morning in the Washington Post.http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...0203339.htmlIn a side note..there was a Linda Hartwick sighting again! She is in DC...if she moves on to Frisco..then its definitely stalking

Old 11-03-2005, 08:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

read the article, very good. It might be american media, but tina brown is english (went to oxford too)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
What American media coverage are you reading that has been negative? Other than the New York Post, which I agree was a rude cover but unfortunately its par for the course with that paper...totally like the Sun in my opinion. I believe that the coverage has been sort of fair and balanced. I saw sort of...because there have been comparisons to Diana..but I believe that happens in the British media as well. Overall, I would say that Camilla has been accepted. Tina Brown also had a pretty decent article this morning in the Washington Post.http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...0203339.htmlIn a side note..there was a Linda Hartwick sighting again! She is in DC...if she moves on to Frisco..then its definitely stalking

Old 11-03-2005, 08:38 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

LOL Warren!

I think Warren, Elspeth and all the moderators and administrators should get a warm round of applause for their hard work keeping these forums a pleasant place for us royal watchers to spend our time. We need a clappy icon, Warren! :) :) :)

I enjoy coming here to see thoughtful opinions both positive and negative expressed with respect and intelligence. We do see the occasional unpleasantness or mean spirited post where the member doesn't come back and explain what they meant but that thankfully has been toned down thanks to our great community and the tone set by our moderators and administrators.

I am one who only frequents threads about royals I like and honestly can't understand why people would spend time in threads about royals they don't like. Its not a criticism; just puzzlement. Time is precious and I prefer to come here to relax and enjoy myself with likeminded people because let's face it; not many people outside these forums are interested in royalty (or admit to it at least).
Old 11-03-2005, 08:40 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
From Hello!

Wonderrful comments from Joan - and let's face it, she can be very harsh!
Interesting comment from Joan, beatrixfan. Certainly the visit has gotten more press coverage than anybody anticipated. I guess the Americans are more interested in royalty than they'd like to admit.

Zonk, I agree with you; I think the coverage has been fairly balanced. I'm just amazed at all these people who supposedly weren't interested in royalty paying attention to the visit.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

baltimore sun article on C and C there's a quote from from me (emma elliott) in it:) I didnt actually say that. no one could consider C and C a "beautiful" love story, but still...
http://www.baltimoresun.com/features...1,567138.story
Old 11-03-2005, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Wow Emma! Thats pretty nice.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Royal Highness

Getting quoted in a paper we can get here in Australia, not bad Emma!

Old 11-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
baltimore sun article on C adn C there's a quote from from me (emma elliott) in it:) I didnt actually say that. no one could consider C and C a "beautiful" love story, but still...
http://www.baltimoresun.com/features...1,567138.story
And here is the TRF's very own... EMMA!

Yet just down the wrought-iron White House fence was 22-year-old Emma Elliott..., who came out "because I adore Camilla," she said. "She has a beautiful love story. And beautiful clothes."
Old 11-03-2005, 09:12 AM

Re:

And from Baltimore ;

Quote:
"She had killer legs," said Eleanor Herman, a Baltimore native who wrote a book on royal love affairs and got her first glimpse of the duchess yesterday. "I've heard that Windsor men like their women to look like horses. Well, I can't say that about her face, but her legs are like that, so long and shapely. She was really pretty."
Is that an insult or a compliment?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:16 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
And from Baltimore ;

Is that an insult or a compliment?
I think (maybe) a compliment. Most Americans would only know about racing thoroughbreds, which have long and thin legs. So, I would say it's a compliment.

Old 11-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Administrator

I think that's a compliment. And actually..thats not the first time I heard that the Duchess had great legs.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Aristocracy

killer=great. It's a compliment.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:44 AM
Courtier

I think it was meant as a funny compiment, meaning a joke and praising someone at the same time. It just doesn't look well in print.

As far as Americans not being into royals or not following protocal etc. I disagree. Americans can be into royals as much as anyone, but they are also into other stars and personalities too. So it just depends on what your interested in. I think a lot of people confuse America's past and break for independance with setiments in modern America. No one here hates them b/c they are royal etc. They are quite welcome and the press has been good. Any negative press is just tabloid stuff being printed to get attention.

As far as protocol goes, Americans in general don't curtsey. They can choose to if they wish. The reason Americans don't has to do with the fact that we are not supposed to bow to another nation no matter what nation. That does have to go with our history and being a colony of England. Paying taxes and tribute to England when we were members of the England was a sore spot for many colonists. So when we broke away, our founding fathers said we would never bow to anyone. Meaning we would never concede our place as an equal to another nation. This is why America does not dip it's flag at the Olympics either. It has nothing to do with an insult to another nation, it is part of our culture.

As far a the first lady touching Prince Charles, she was probally being nice. It was a personal gesture of friendlyness. Many Americans (not all) are very tactile and informal people. She would do the same thing for the Queen as she would for Putin as she would for the homeless. It was a sweet gesture. She comes across as a very nice woman who does care about people (and no I don't like her husband) no matter who they are. Plus it's hard to change your personality all the time. She was just trying to make them feel welcome.

And yes, each president gets their own China pattern. The Smithsonian has a great collection of Presidential china on display. Some of very regal, classic and formal. Others, I thought were garish, but it was the peroid. It also reflects the Presidental taste too. You can even buy reproductions at the gift shop.

I liked Camilla's outfits. I don't think she is a fashionista nor does she want to be. She's not into that stuff. She just wants to look nice. Sometimes she looks better than others but I still think she looks good. I hope she and Charles enjoy their stay.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:49 AM
Aristocracy

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
New Yorkers don't always even wear black to commemoration ceremonies. I bet Laura got a surprise when Camilla showed up in darks tonight. It made Laura stand out more. She's not the type of First Lady to like to stand out. Maybe she saw Camilla's dress from the commemoration?
They may not but you don't show up at a place as a head of state dressed in a bright color.

New yorkers don't alwasy wear black. I my don't always wear black. But, a Dark color is what you wear. Blue, Dark Grey, Brown. You don't wear PINK or RED. Like I stated. She should have reversed her colors between the day & night events. The Dark Blue during the day & the Bright Color at night.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther2000
They may not but you don't show up at a place as a head of state dressed in a bright color.

But, a Dark color is what you wear. Blue, Dark Grey, Brown. You don't wear PINK or RED.
Who made these specific rules and when? I don't believe she's the head of state either.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

It could be argued that a person shouldn't need a research grant to notice a certain avatar of Queen Mary that inhabits the British forum. Maybe a new pair of reading glasses, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
As one who keeps a running tab on such details, I have conducted a quick survey of this page and the previous 10 pages of this thread.

NB.. only avatars of British Royals have been counted, and only those used by individual Members (and not the number of posts).

The results are:
Camilla: 4
Diana: 3
Lovers Knot Tiara: 1
Queen Victoria: 1
Prince Harry: 1

I have added the tiara (as it belonged to the late Princess) to the Diana avatars, and placed VRI and Harry in the neutral corner (but opposite to each other as Harry may be a tad too rowdy for the old Queen).

This calculation gives 4 and 4. Equal!
A perfect balance, an equilibrium, a ying and a yang!

If anyone wishes for a more formal survey of avatar usage throughout the entire British Forums, I am open to offers of a Research Grant.

:) W
Old 11-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Usually the royals wear bright colours during the day so as to be easily visible - the exception would be something like the Remembrance Day service at the Cenotaph. In this case, Camilla was doing a bunch of stuff other than going to the memorial site, and she probably dressed in usual royal fashion, in an eye-catching colour.

Since royals aren't usually mingling with crowds in the evening, darker colours are less of a problem as far as being noticed is concerned, so you often see darker evening wear than day wear on the royal ladies.

Quote:

New yorkers don't alwasy wear black. I my don't always wear black. But, a Dark color is what you wear. Blue, Dark Grey, Brown. You don't wear PINK or RED. Like I stated. She should have reversed her colors between the day & night events. The Dark Blue during the day & the Bright Color at night.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Camilla is not our head of state, just for the record.:)

I tend to wear brighter colours during the day and all my evening/cocktail dresses are black, dark blue or dark green. In the UK, you often refer to the 'little black number'

Some people forbid the wearing of black at memorial sites/services. At two I have recently attended, they both specified 'no black' for the women. You can feel and express your sorrow without wearing black from head to toe. I thought she looked just fine and was proud she and Charles were there to express the sympathy of the UK for the victims of 9/11.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Usually the royals wear bright colours during the day so as to be easily visible - the exception would be something like the Remembrance Day service at the Cenotaph. In this case, Camilla was doing a bunch of stuff other than going to the memorial site, and she probably dressed in usual royal fashion, in an eye-catching colour.

Since royals aren't usually mingling with crowds in the evening, darker colours are less of a problem as far as being noticed is concerned, so you often see darker evening wear than day wear on the royal ladies.
That makes sense Elspeth. :)

Congratulations, Emma you got into print! How did you meet the reporter to talk to them?
Old 11-03-2005, 10:29 AM
Courtier

I agree with Elspeth, it isn't a Camilla phenomena.

Queen Elizabeth II at the National Police Memorial unveiling in pink:
http://pro.corbis.com/popup/Enlargem...f-3f6bbe756867}

Queen Elizabeth II commemorating World War II in yellow:
http://pro.corbis.com/popup/Enlargem...c-d33320320ef7}

Hillary Clinton at the FDR memorial dedication ceremony in pink:
http://pro.corbis.com/popup/Enlargem...7-5d2b448b7368}

Laura Bush at Washington's WWII memorial dedication ceremony in orange/red:
http://pro.corbis.com/popup/Enlargem...b-fad9232b1f33}

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, official visit, prince charles, prince of wales, united states