Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Visit to the US - November 1-8, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Princejonnhy25 said:
Mrs. Bush does look stunning. Camilla looks lovely yet sombre. I think it looks nice. Better than the royal dinner one in britian. I wish she would have worn some color though.
Go figure Camila should have worn this color to the ground zero site instead of the Pink suit. & worn a Bright color to the Dinner in Washington. Instead she looks frumpy at the Dinner at the White House. Another Blown save ( a Baseball term) for her stylist people. ;)

New Yorkers don't always even wear black to commemoration ceremonies. I bet Laura got a surprise when Camilla showed up in darks tonight. It made Laura stand out more. She's not the type of First Lady to like to stand out. Maybe she saw Camilla's dress from the commemoration?

Oh well, I'm looking forward to the next step on the tour. Did they decide whether to go to New Orleans or not?

#1: NNN news
#2: JNN news
#3: NHK news

Attachments

• 20051103-00000028-nnn-int-thumb-001.jpg
    20051103-00000028-nnn-int-thumb-001.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 20051103-00000032-jnn-int-thumb-000.jpg
    20051103-00000032-jnn-int-thumb-000.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 119
  • 20051103000002003.jpg
    20051103000002003.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I have read that he did not recognize Mrs Reagan in his speech. She was apparently invited as a special gesture to honor her and her husbands various meetings with the Royal family. I hope the reports are not correct and that he did indeed her.

poorly written post - should be .....he did indeed recognize her.

Camilla looks very elegant and stylish. Although I must admit i'm a bit "tired" of seeing that necklace.:p Laura's dress is quite beautiful!

These photos are quite strange and funny. It seems Prez. Bush and Camilla are the only ones with "normal" facial expressions ready for the pictures.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/56059262.jpg?x=x&dasite=GettyImages&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=86968C50E256E3C670075BA05053CBE3781CF461BB6606AD

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/56060276.jpg?x=x&dasite=GettyImages&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=AB27D05020109421B14BA70977BF82154B165D9B80E1145D94D2604A015CF9DF

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/56059344.jpg?x=x&dasite=GettyImages&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=86968C50E256E3C60A28E9D8C9B30081781CF461BB6606AD

mandyy said:
Jenna Bush (R), daughter of U.S. President George W. Bush, sits at a social dinner with her guest Henry Hager at the White House in Washington November 2, 2005. The rare black tie dinner was held by Bush for Britain's Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, who are on an eight-day visit to the United States. REUTERS/Jason Reed

Thank you mandyy...for all the pictures you have posted!! :)

I just watched the toasts given on CNN.

I loved Prince Charles's. He made refererene to this bringing back many happy memories to his visit in the past...I held my breath thinking he was going to say in 1985, and then he mentioned in 1970 when he and the Princess Royal stayed the weekend as guests of the Nixons.

And then he said...and this was hysterical...."at the time when the press was trying to marry me off to Tricia Nixon. It still seems to be the case with my eldest son." He then gave a nod to the Bush twins and continued, "It must be hereditary."

What a funny moment to watch.

Alisa said:
Camilla looks very elegant and stylish. Although I must admit i'm a bit "tired" of seeing that necklace.:p Laura's dress is quite beautiful!

These photos are quite strange and funny. It seems Prez. Bush and Camilla are the only ones with "normal" facial expressions ready for the pictures.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/56060276.jpg?x=x&dasite=GettyImages&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=AB27D05020109421B14BA70977BF82154B165D9B80E1145D94D2604A015CF9DF
http://

That is the Funniest photo of Laura I have ever seen! What an absolute crack up!!!

"MII"

I still think she looks better than Camilla. Cammy looked the part of the frump, certainly, at that dinner. Hopefully, Mrs. Bush gave her some tips.

charles asks US to lead on planet

this part of the toast was on the bbc news this morning, (that is what west europeans find important) Much of the world looks to the US for a lead on the most crucial issues that face our planet;Prince Charles has told its president George Bush. In a post-dinner toast at the White House the prince said to Mr Bush:Truly the burden of the world rests on your shoulders; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4398352.stm

Last edited:
Idriel said:
Well welcome on the forums Skydragon:) . I hope you enjoy the British treads.
As a side note, politely suggesting that some posters should get lost is maybe not the most brillant start.

The press coverage in the UK is positive and courteous and she gets thumbs up for her (rather odd and OTT IMHO) style but from what I read, American are rather more apathic that anything else. And so are most British people.

I'm sorry if I offended you. :eek: If we are honest, if I went on to a site for the ex hrh, rubbishing her, they would suggest I went on to a site more appropriate to my views. I find the constant snipeing at Camilla, depressing. She is the wife of the heir to the British throne and will be a wonderful queen.

I havn't been a member for long, but have visited the site for some time, I decided to wait and see how anti Camilla you all were.

I didn't agree with the demonstrations against your president when he was in this country, I don't remember what they were about, it's a matter of good manners. I certainly don't agree with someone stalking a woman who married for love.:(

I like Camilla's style, chic rather than the moments fashion. A lot of her outfits don't photograph well but, she has never dressed for the press.
It has been nice seeing all the photo's on here though.

Skydragon said:
I'm sorry if I offended you. :eek: If we are honest, if I went on to a site for the ex hrh, rubbishing her, they would suggest I went on to a site more appropriate to my views. I find the constant snipeing at Camilla, depressing. She is the wife of the heir to the British throne and will be a wonderful queen.

I havn't been a member for long, but have visited the site for some time, I decided to wait and see how anti Camilla you all were.
. I certainly don't agree with someone stalking a woman who married for love.:(

I like Camilla's style, chic rather than the moments fashion. A lot of her outfits don't photograph well but, she has never dressed for the press.
It has been nice seeing all the photo's on here though.

I total agree with you I too am sick of people going on about camilla all the time ! dont no why they have to nag about her all the TIME I thought she looks fab on this american tour!

Ameican Media

I SEE THE HATE CAMILLA CROWED IS OUT AND THE AMERCIAN MEDIA!!!! I HOPE CAMILLA AND CHARLES WON'T BE DOWN LONG, BECAUSE YOU CAN SEE IT IN THERE FACES. CAMILLA YOU LOOK GREAT!!!:confused:

Good Show!

I think The Duchess of Cornwall has looked absolutely Brilliant! I am so happy for both of them. They look so happy and at ease with each other. Boo to the NY Paper...so childish...As usual papers seem to create news now than report it. I think the papers were hoping for more protest..now that they don't have it they have to fall back on insults. My local news anchor was great and said just let them be..time to move on..

I for one thinks she has looked and carried herself well. Lets be honest...Diana will remain enternally beautiful..she is never going to age...I for one as a 42 year old woman find hope in Camilla...You can age gracefully. Perhaps there's hope for me:rolleyes:

Skydragon said:
No offence Skydragon, hence the yellow smiley in my previous post.
I understand what you mean, but these forums, as I see them, are not fan-clubs, rather open spaces to discuss several perspectives. Finding only positive and admirative remarks on this tread would make it boring and sleepy (and anyway there is also a lot of Diana bashing going on, in Diana's treads or in C&C treads). To be honest, I think these forums are remarkably pro-Camilla. Just count the number of Camilla avatars. I am not a fan of her but I feel the need the watch what I write because of her fan base here.

Re:

From Hello!

The 58-year-old seems to have found an unexpected ally, however, in the form of chat show host Joan Rivers, who is generally known for her stinging criticisms of other celebrities' outfits. "Camilla is one of the world's best dressed women and it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise," affirmed the presenter. "It's not about what you wear, it's about how you wear it and she pulls it off every time. As us New Yorkers say, she's got it."

Wonderrful comments from Joan - and let's face it, she can be very harsh!

A Scientific Survey!

Idriel said:
To be honest, I think these forums are remarkably pro-Camilla. Just count the number of Camilla avatars.
As one who keeps a running tab on such details, I have conducted a quick survey of this page and the previous 10 pages of this thread.

NB.. only avatars of British Royals have been counted, and only those used by individual Members (and not the number of posts).

The results are:
Camilla: 4
Diana: 3
Lovers Knot Tiara: 1
Queen Victoria: 1
Prince Harry: 1

I have added the tiara (as it belonged to the late Princess) to the Diana avatars, and placed VRI and Harry in the neutral corner (but opposite to each other as Harry may be a tad too rowdy for the old Queen).

This calculation gives 4 and 4. Equal!
A perfect balance, an equilibrium, a ying and a yang!

If anyone wishes for a more formal survey of avatar usage throughout the entire British Forums, I am open to offers of a Research Grant.

:) W

What American media coverage are you reading that has been negative? Other than the New York Post, which I agree was a rude cover but unfortunately its par for the course with that paper...totally like the Sun in my opinion. I believe that the coverage has been sort of fair and balanced. I saw sort of...because there have been comparisons to Diana..but I believe that happens in the British media as well. Overall, I would say that Camilla has been accepted. Tina Brown also had a pretty decent article this morning in the Washington Post.http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/02/AR2005110203339.htmlIn a side note..there was a Linda Hartwick sighting again! She is in DC...if she moves on to Frisco..then its definitely stalking

read the article, very good. It might be american media, but tina brown is english (went to oxford too)
Zonk1189 said:
What American media coverage are you reading that has been negative? Other than the New York Post, which I agree was a rude cover but unfortunately its par for the course with that paper...totally like the Sun in my opinion. I believe that the coverage has been sort of fair and balanced. I saw sort of...because there have been comparisons to Diana..but I believe that happens in the British media as well. Overall, I would say that Camilla has been accepted. Tina Brown also had a pretty decent article this morning in the Washington Post.http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/02/AR2005110203339.htmlIn a side note..there was a Linda Hartwick sighting again! She is in DC...if she moves on to Frisco..then its definitely stalking

LOL Warren! :D

I think Warren, Elspeth and all the moderators and administrators should get a warm round of applause for their hard work keeping these forums a pleasant place for us royal watchers to spend our time. We need a clappy icon, Warren! :) :) :)

I enjoy coming here to see thoughtful opinions both positive and negative expressed with respect and intelligence. We do see the occasional unpleasantness or mean spirited post where the member doesn't come back and explain what they meant but that thankfully has been toned down thanks to our great community and the tone set by our moderators and administrators.

I am one who only frequents threads about royals I like and honestly can't understand why people would spend time in threads about royals they don't like. Its not a criticism; just puzzlement. Time is precious and I prefer to come here to relax and enjoy myself with likeminded people because let's face it; not many people outside these forums are interested in royalty (or admit to it at least). :rolleyes:

BeatrixFan said:
From Hello!

Wonderrful comments from Joan - and let's face it, she can be very harsh!

Interesting comment from Joan, beatrixfan. Certainly the visit has gotten more press coverage than anybody anticipated. I guess the Americans are more interested in royalty than they'd like to admit. ;)

Zonk, I agree with you; I think the coverage has been fairly balanced. I'm just amazed at all these people who supposedly weren't interested in royalty paying attention to the visit.

Wow Emma! Thats pretty nice.

Getting quoted in a paper we can get here in Australia, not bad Emma!:D

pollyemma said:
baltimore sun article on C adn C there's a quote from from me (emma elliott) in it:) I didnt actually say that. no one could consider C and C a "beautiful" love story, but still...
http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/lifestyle/bal-te.to.royals03nov03,1,567138.story
And here is the TRF's very own... EMMA!

Yet just down the wrought-iron White House fence was 22-year-old Emma Elliott..., who came out "because I adore Camilla," she said. "She has a beautiful love story. And beautiful clothes."

Re:

And from Baltimore ;

"She had killer legs," said Eleanor Herman, a Baltimore native who wrote a book on royal love affairs and got her first glimpse of the duchess yesterday. "I've heard that Windsor men like their women to look like horses. Well, I can't say that about her face, but her legs are like that, so long and shapely. She was really pretty."

Is that an insult or a compliment?

BeatrixFan said:
And from Baltimore ;

Is that an insult or a compliment?

I think (maybe) a compliment. Most Americans would only know about racing thoroughbreds, which have long and thin legs. So, I would say it's a compliment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom