Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall: Visit to the United States - March 17-20, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They mightn't fly up but golly it's a 80's throw back same style of dress same pearls same hairstyle time to update

Why ? it's a style she's comfortable with, it suits her and she's always appropriatley dressed. Camilla is not a brand or a software and doesn't need some "update" to do her work : supporting the Prince of Wales, her country and the British Monarchy.

I believe the criticism is not about Kate but the media reporting of royal engagements.

I don't think so. The suggestion seems to be that Kate, unlike Camilla, varies her wardrobe therefore ensuring that the coverage is of her clothes as opposed to the issues she's involved with. That she deliberately goes out of her way to make it all about her outfits whereas if she didn't all the media reports would be about children's hospices and addiction.

The idea that Camilla occasionally trying something new with her wardrobe would somehow overshadow the PoW is crazy. Given the lack of coverage of their events, surely a bit of extra interest, even in her wardrobe, is better than almost no coverage at all.

Let's not get into a debate about clothes, particular royal ladies and the media. If you want to discuss fashion, do so in the fashion forum.

Further posts on the matter will be removed at moderator discretion.

Video:
The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall have attended a drinks reception for embassy staff at the British Ambassador’s Residence in Washington. It marks the start of official engagements on their 4 day visit to the United States, where they will promote the UK’s partnership with America in areas such as climate change and corporate responsibility-

Home - ITNSource News

Emily Nash @emynash · 40m 40 minutes ago
Charles and Camilla at Martin Luther King Memorial with Jesse Jackson and John Lewis and Terri Sewell from Congress
https://twitter.com/emynash/status/578207644663586817

British Embassy @UKinUSA · 16m 16 minutes ago
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall visit the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial in DC #RoyalVisitUSA
https://twitter.com/UKinUSA/status/578214076674928640

I'm very happy Charles and Camilla visited our historic memorial of Dr. King.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say, I'm very impressed that the President meets so many of the BRF when they visit Washington. First William and now C&C. I don't think any other heirs or second-in-lines are given that opportunity. It really is a very nice gesture.

That's one way to liven up a history lesson! High school students are stunned to run into Prince Charles and Camilla in Washington as he is mobbed by fans-
Prince Charles and Camilla visit Martin Luther King memorial during tour of Washington | Daily Mail Online

It touches my heart to see the American people embrace Charles and Camilla, especially the young people.

PetticoatLane, I can really tell President & Mrs. Obama are very fond of the royal family.

US Royal Watcher, Congressman John Lewis is a true hero in Congress and in our Country.

Video:
Charles And Camilla Tour Washington Monuments-

Charles And Camilla Tour Washington Monuments

Inside Heir Force One: The luxury Airbus A320 Head Of State carrying Charles and Camilla across the Atlantic – complete with bedroom, private office and bathroom with golden taps - at a cost of £120,000 -
Inside Heir Force One: Luxury Airbus A320 Head Of State carrying Prince Charles to US | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by a moderator:
Washington Post update: Royal Watch! Updates from Charles and Camilla’s jam packed day in D.C. - The Washington Post

For people who may not know Congressman John Lewis, he is a hero of the U.S. civil rights movement and marched with the Rev. Martin Luther King.

He was on The Daily Show w/John Stewart not that long ago in connection w/the Selma Commemorations. Highly recommend finding and watching the episode online if you can. Congressman Lewis is an American National Treasure IMO. :)

Poor Camilla yesterday. It's one thing to deal w/being on display after a long plane ride, but to come out looking your best only for Mother Nature to wreck havoc...Give her credit for seeing the humour in it. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Videos:
The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall have visited the Lincoln Memorial in Washington today, as their official visit to the United States continues. Prince Charles took a moment to speak to a group of American school children who are visiting the capital from North Carolina, and joked with reporters about feeling somewhat jetlagged-

Home - ITNSource News

The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall have visited the Martin Luther King Memorial in Washington this afternoon, on the second day of their official visit to the United States. Accompanied by the veteran civil rights campaigner Rev Jesse Jackson, Their Royal Highnesses spoke to tourists who are visiting Washington, including one boy who managed to take taking a selfie with the Prince, using his mobile phone-
Home - ITNSource News

Funny how they call them "the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall". Of course it's not inaccurate ...

Last edited:
Royal recap: Camilla and Charles don’t get the WillKat treatment - The Washington Post
This actually is your grandfather’s royal visit.

Proper handshakes from schoolchildren, dignified cries of “welcome, your highness!” — that’s how U.S. crowds greeting the arrival this week of Prince Charles and his wife, Camilla, to our shores.

Contrast that with the high-volume, boy-band-worthy excitement that met the sexier, younger royal set during their recent visits from across the pond. Charles’s son, William, and his wife, Kate, got screeching sign-holding fans, and an NBA courtside hangout with Jay Z and Beyonce, in November. Harry, the bad-boy younger brother, emptied Capitol Hill desks of nearly every young, female staffer during his 2013 visit.

I just saw a fairly lengthy CNN report on the visit. They aren't getting the same attention that William and Catherine got but they aren't being ignored. I missed the network newscasts so I don't know if they are covering the visit.

Most people here, could care less. William is Diana's son (of course Charles') and Kate is beautiful and young. Big hype. Charles and Camilla are two middle aged people, who represent very little to people here.

I just saw a fairly lengthy CNN report on the visit. They aren't getting the same attention that William and Catherine got but they aren't being ignored. I missed the network newscasts so I don't know if they are covering the visit.

I saw them on my fox local news this morning and on the Today show, I agree they are not getting the same attention, but they are not being ignored. The attention they are receiving is appropriate and understandable since they are not young and glamorous. I'm following and enjoying their tour, it's very interesting. The American Media is covering them nicely

It is clear that the US people see the difference between the gravitas displayed by Charles and Camilla and the celebrity attractions embraced by William, Kate and Harry.

I too just saw a segment on Charles and Camilla on CNN. I'm glad this tour is being mentioned in the media. There will be more news, as they are meeting up with the President and Vice President tomorrow.

Their visit was covered on several stations in Chicago.

I saw them on my fox local news this morning and on the Today show, I agree they are not getting the same attention, but they are not being ignored. The attention they are receiving is appropriate and understandable since they are not young and glamorous. I'm following and enjoying their tour, it's very interesting. The American Media is covering them nicely

Plus, the attention they're getting is about 100% more than even kings and queens of other countries get. I'm always slightly surprised that the American media takes any notice of royals at all.

Royal visit to US: restrained rather than rock star welcome for Charles and Camilla - Telegraph
Thirty years ago the US media worked itself up into a frenzy when Prince of Wales and Diana, Princess of Wales crossed the Atlantic.

Now at best the reception has been respectful. The tough truth is that the Prince, and his wife, the Duchess of Cornwall, are not seen as having the same star quality.

The showbiz mantle has passed on to the next generation Princes William and Harry and, of course, Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge.

A newscaster on the USA Today website was brutal to the point of rudeness.

“The Royals are coming, but not the ones you probably want to see,” she said.

“Unfortunately it is not Prince William or the beloved Kate Middleton making their way to the USA, but William’s father, Prince Charles and his wife Camilla.”

Outlining the couple’s schedule, the newscaster continued: “Charles and Camilla have never garnered quite the same enthusiasm from Americans and Brits as Prince Charles and his first wife, Princess Diana.”

Some people and the press like comparing Apples and Oranges, as expected.
It seems rather OBVIOUS that a middle aged couple will not have the same sex appeal than a young and glamorous one. The Queen of course get more attention as the Head of state during a State Visit with all the pump, but for now Charles and Camilla don't have to be ashamed about the press coverage of their tour. As mentioned above, plenty of royals visiting the US each year are barely noticied.
There's is a difference between a royal and a celebrity, and for a celebrity obsessed country like the US, it's maybe hard to get it.
"a respectful reception" is a good thing, The Telegraph seems almost disappointed that Charles and Camilla were not booed.

Last edited:
Funny how they call them "the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall". Of course it's not inaccurate ...

Why's it funny?
That's how they are known worldwide. Occasionally it goes The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall.

The coverage here is better than it would be for many other "next in line to the throne" royals. To an average American, there is this feeling we have been waiting for him to become King forever - and in our ugly, impatient american way, this bothers us about him. No that it should - this is our flaw, not his.
But he has been speaking about recycling - a topic guaranteed to put most people over here to sleep. We do it but don't talk about it.
Still, I am ashamed when major network CBS said that Charles had visited the Library of Congress, the home of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. NOT A WORD ABOUT THE MAGNA CARTA or the reason for the LOC visit.
I would say that C and C look great. Vigorous, vital, well turned out, happy, interesting, attractive. I have no doubt AARP (a group representing the interests of retired persons) is trying to figure out how to work them into a new TV ad. :lol::ROFLMAO::lol:

Why's it funny?
That's how they are known worldwide. Occasionally it goes The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall.

A bit unusual no ? They are mostly called and known as the POW and the DOC. The "duke and duchess of Cornwall" is a nice change,more equal i would say ..

A chartered luxury plane is not really a good look

I would think that 1st class British Air seats would be cheaper.

Inside Airbus A320 Head Of State carrying Prince Charles to US | Daily Mail Online

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

A commercial flight would certainly be cheaper, but after the events of September 2001, the UK government took the view that the heir to the throne should not fly on commercial flights. So "good look" or not, UK government does not particularly care.

A commercial flight would certainly be cheaper, but after the events of September 2001, the UK government took the view that the heir to the throne should not fly on commercial flights.

What is your source for that? I can understand the UK PM where he/she needs to be able to communicate to the govt at any time but the heir to a ceremonial head of state with several more people after him?

The Queen and Philip use British Airways although it's a chartered flight. The Cambridges fly scheduled commercial flights.

I don't see a first class seat on a British Air flight with an armed RPO and a screened plane as more dangerous than riding thru London on Horseback or open carriage which Charles does every year.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

What is your source for that? I can understand the UK PM where he/she needs to be able to communicate to the govt at any time but the heir to a ceremonial head of state with several more people after him?

> I am not a spokesperson for the government, so it is not necessarily for me to defend government directives on the security of senior members of the royal family.

> I cannot provide you with a source. There was some press commentary on the subject in the early part of the last decade. The matter has not attracted much comment since, as it is accepted.

The Queen and Philip use British Airways although it's a chartered flight. The Cambridges fly scheduled commercial flights.

HM and Prince Charles always charter planes, BA or otherwise. I suspect the choice of provider is based on economics and availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom