Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Tour of Canada - May 20-23, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wbenson

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
United States
500px-Personal_Flag_of_the_Prince_of_Wales_for_use_in_Canada.svg.png

The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall will visit Canada in 2012 to mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

Last edited:
The Governor General of Canada > Royal Tour Announcement

His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, is pleased to announce that a Royal Tour of Canada will take place next year, during the Diamond Jubilee year of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s accession to the Throne.

Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall have accepted the invitation of the Government of Canada to undertake a Royal Tour in May 2012. As part of Canada’s celebration of Her Majesty The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, the Royal Tour by Their Royal Highnesses will include stops in New Brunswick, Ontario and Saskatchewan.

A detailed itinerary will be published at a later date by the Department of Canadian Heritage.

Government of Canada Unveils Details of the 2012 Royal Tour - Newsroom - The Department

The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall will visit:

• Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Gagetown, Oromocto, New Brunswick (May 21)
  • Saint John, New Brunswick (May 21)
  • Toronto, Ontario (May 21 and 22)
  • Regina, Saskatchewan (May 22 and 23)

Opportunities for Canadians to see Their Royal Highnesses will be at the following events:

• Official welcome to Canada at CFB Gagetown in Oromocto on May 21
  • Victoria Day Celebration in Saint John, New Brunswick on May 21
  • Arrival at Queen’s Park in Toronto, on May 22
  • Arrival at the Saskatchewan Legislature on May 23
  • Arrival at the First Nations University in Regina on May 23

In addition to these public opportunities, there are several highlights of this tour:

• Victoria Day fireworks in Toronto on May 21
  • A meeting with chief executives and youth who have participated in The Prince’s Charities Seeing is Believing program in Canada on May 22
  • A meeting with young veterans and mentors involved in the Military Entrepreneurship summer school at CFB Gagetown on May 21
  • A meeting with the National Leadership of Assembly of First Nations in Toronto on May 22
  • A first visit for Her Royal Highness to the Queen’s Own Rifles—she has just become Colonel-in-Chief of the regiment—in Toronto on May 22
  • A special military event that will commemorate the War of 1812 in Toronto on May 22
  • A celebration of the centennial of Regina’s Legislative Building on May 23
  • A performance by the Regina Symphony Orchestra of which His Royal Highness is a Royal Patron in Regina on May 23.

CBC.ca Player (Video)

Prince Charles and his wife Camilla arrive at the Fredericton International airport to kick off their Royal tour of Canada

Here's another video, but this one has a bit more commentary as well as some of the places the couple will visit during their three-day tour.

CBC.ca Player

Royals arrive in Fredericton
The arrival of Prince Charles and Camilla in Fredericton on Sunday evening was a relatively low-key affair, CBC's Adrienne Arsenault reports
Watch video on Yahoo!

Royals arrive in Fredericton
The arrival of Prince Charles and Camilla in Fredericton on Sunday evening was a relatively low-key affair, CBC's Adrienne Arsenault reports
Watch video on Yahoo!

For a while there it puzzled me that I wasn't finding much coverage of Charles and Camilla actually landing in Canada until I figured it out. Jet lag. I remember reading somewhere they were to land around 7:45 pm but realized that to them, it'd seem like 12:45 pm and their bodies would just be to tired out for much pomp and circumstance then. :)

Last edited:
Can anyone make out what badges Charles is wearing on his lapels?

I think one of them is of a Canadian flag. I remember William wearing an identical one when in Canada last year. May William gave it to his father for this trip?

^Well large for Charles and Camilla. Also it is a statutory holiday (same as a bank holiday in the UK) so a large number of people have the day off work, plus it is nice weather so this may contribute to more people coming out to see them.

And it is apparent that with each visit to Canada, Charles and Camilla are making inroads into gaining popularity here.

We should remember that a large number of people in Canada do not follow the royal family on a daily basis and this means that many of them have not come to terms about Charles and Camilla. However, with each visit Charles and Camilla make more friends and win more people over, so hopefully they will continue to visit and be more warmly received with each visit.

Prince Charles's reputation is being debated in the Canadian press - every royal heir seems to face some public skepticism

Prince Charles’s Reputation and the History of the Royal Heir in the Press | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian

Last edited:
Charles is also at that awkward age, the same as his mother was in the 80s. The Queen was caught between her revered mother the Queen Mum and her son and his glamorous wife. Today Charles is between his revered mother The Queen and his son who now has a glamorous wife.
Crowds will be less for C & C than they would be for his mother or his son, but he has earned respect and some level of popularity in a country that on a day to day basis pretty much ignores the existence of the monarchy, and that may be one of the reasons there is no really strong republican movement here.

after the official arrival ceremony, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall arrived to New Brunswick. While there, they had a walkabout in Saint John, and visited Hazen White-St. Francis school.

- Camilla in grandmother mode (how cute is that baby?)
- Prince Charles playing a game of shinny
- Charles looking pretty impressed
- Charles and Camilla trying school food
- The couple leaving Saint John (it was quite windy, and it looks like Camilla is trying to avoid a Marilyn Monroe moment) ;)

Gallery from Daylife

That baby is very, very cute, and Camila was certainly in her element in that particular instance. I love the picture of Charles playing shinny with the kids, and his smile while watching the kids play Jenga (I think that's what the game is called, but I could be wrong) indoors. They're brave for trying school food, and judging by their faces, it wasn't that impressive.

after the official arrival ceremony, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall arrived to New Brunswick. While there, they had a walkabout in Saint John, and visited Hazen White-St. Francis school.

- Camilla in grandmother mode (how cute is that baby?)
- Prince Charles playing a game of shinny
- Charles looking pretty impressed
- Charles and Camilla trying school food
- The couple leaving Saint John (it was quite windy, and it looks like Camilla is trying to avoid a Marilyn Monroe moment) ;)

Gallery from Daylife

Lovely pictures. Very nice to see them out and about.

The CBC has a livestream coming up from a Jubilee Medal ceremony....not sure when exactly but it should be soon:
CBC.ca Player

Last edited:
^Well large for Charles and Camilla. Also it is a statutory holiday (same as a bank holiday in the UK) so a large number of people have the day off work, plus it is nice weather so this may contribute to more people coming out to see them.

And it is apparent that with each visit to Canada, Charles and Camilla are making inroads into gaining popularity here.

We should remember that a large number of people in Canada do not follow the royal family on a daily basis and this means that many of them have not come to terms about Charles and Camilla. However, with each visit Charles and Camilla make more friends and win more people over, so hopefully they will continue to visit and be more warmly received with each visit.

Also the Globe & Mail report doesn't mention that when Charles & Camilla toured Canada in 2009 it was during a wintry November, whereas William & Kate visited at height of a sunny summer. If I remember rightly despite the winter weather Charles & Camilla still raised a crowd of over 1,500 people when they visited a museum in Hamilton.

Apparently Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall were greeted by large crowds today.
Prince Charles recalls military service, mingles with crowds on first day of visit - The Globe and Mail

I see that the report still trots out the myth that Charles is reserved. They obviously haven't seen Prince Charles the weather forecaster! But seriously I think one of the problems he has is that the royal officials try to keep him within rigid schedules (which probably makes life easier for them but doesn't promote his talents. I note from the Globe & Mail report that whereas William playing street hockey was scheduled - Prince Charles's wasn't. Charles complained about this in one of his letters about a visit to Australia in the mid 1980s (published by Jonathan Dimbleby). The officials also often claim that he & Camilla don't talk to the press whilst they're on engagements, which is rubbish I've seen both of them give unofficial interviews especially to local reporters.

It has been pretty tiring. All the talking heads do is prattle on about the Prince being reserved before and how the crowds were not as big as William and Kate, and the William and Kate effect (apparently that is why the crowds were there). And how people love William and Kate more, yada yada yada. Not one of them talked about Camilla's patronages.

The trip was very successful. The Prince was wonderful, The Duchess was wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom