Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Tour of Canada - May 18-21, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Clarence House has now confirmed the trip by retweeting one of the GG's tweets;

David Johnston ‏@GGDavidJohnston 2h
The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall will undertake a #RoyalTour to Man., N.S. and P.E.I. in May. http://bit.ly/1j91iE1

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 12m
Clarence House has just confirmed the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall’s visit to Canada in May.

And from the actual site of the Governor General.
The Governor General of Canada > Royal Tour of Canada in 2014

The last time they visited was 2012.

Interesting;
Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 5m
The Prince and Duchess of Cornwall are going to Canada as Canadian royals, rather than as representatives of UK.

Last edited:
Why are they going back to Canada so soon? Wouldn't it make more sen e to send them somewhere they haven't just been to?

Why are they going back to Canada so soon? Wouldn't it make more sen e to send them somewhere they haven't just been to?

They dont do the whole of Canada in one trip. These are places they haven't visited for a while.

Canada invited someone - The Queen and Philip don't do the longer overseas trips anymore. It is only a month or so after William and Kate's trip down under.

Prince Charles, Camilla to visit Canada this summer - The Globe and Mail This article says the following:

Prime Minister Stephen Harper said the visit comes as Canada begins five years of major commemorations, including the centennial of the outbreak of the First World War this year and the country’s 150th birthday in 2017.

Canadians look forward to having their royal highnesses with us for these and other important moments in the history of our country,” he said in a
statement.

That really sums it up - the Canadians are celebrating/commemorating a number of things over the next 4 - 5 years and they want to start by including senior royals so Charles and Camilla get to go - they were invited and have accepted the invitation.

Interesting;
Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 5m
The Prince and Duchess of Cornwall are going to Canada as Canadian royals, rather than as representatives of UK.

Wouldn't this be typical? If not of all the BRF (who are also members of the Canadian Royal Family), then at least the "senior" royals?

They dont do the whole of Canada in one trip. These are places they haven't visited for a while.

Yes that's true:

. . . Prince Charles last visited Manitoba in 1996. He has not been in Prince Edward Island or Nova Scotia since 1983, when he did an extensive two-week tour of Canada with then-wife Diana, the Princess of Wales, who died in 1997. Prince Charles, Camilla announce Canadian tour - Prince Edward Island - CBC News

Wouldn't this be typical? If not of all the BRF (who are also members of the Canadian Royal Family), then at least the "senior" royals?
Yes they're visiting as members of the Canadian Royal Family

I think Canada will see a lot of it's royal family for the celebrations. The Cambridge's may also head back to Canada too at some point.

There is bound to be some questions over who is paying for the trip. Not sure the state of Canada's economy and whether that would have any bearing on it.

Not necesarily most trips are done on behalf of The Queen and therefore representing the british monarchy overseas.

Not necesarily most trips are done on behalf of The Queen and therefore representing the british monarchy overseas.

No that is not correct, members of the royal family, when they are in Canada do not represent the British monarchy. Rather, they visit Canada as Canadian royals (and are considered Canadian):

However, because Canada and the UK are independent of one another, it is incorrect to refer in the Canadian context to the family of the monarch as the "British Royal Family" Monarchy of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have both called themselves Canadian.

The website of the British Monarchy itself declares:

The Queen has a unique relationship with Canada, entirely separate from her role as Queen of the United Kingdom or any of her other realms. http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchAndCommonwealth/Canada/TheQueensroleinCanada.aspx

and here:

In all these duties, The Queen acts as Queen of Canada, quite distinctly from her role in the United Kingdom or any of her other realms. http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchAndCommonwealth/Canada/TheQueensroleinCanada.aspx

That pretty much sums it up. So when Charles and Camilla visit, they'll be visiting as representatives of the Canadian Crown.

Last edited:
I was going to say; they might very well be representing the Queen, but they're representing the Queen of Canada not the Queen of the United Kingdom.

I was going to say; they might very well be representing the Queen, but they're representing the Queen of Canada not the Queen of the United Kingdom.

Yes. Precisely. In this case, the Queen of Canada just happens to be Queen of Great Britain and several other Commonwealth nations as well. But her status as Canada's head of state is quite distinct and independent of her status as head of state of these other countries.

Last edited:
Our economy weathered the recession better than many, but there are bound to be some who complain about the trip. That's par for the course.:flowers:

There is bound to be some questions over who is paying for the trip. Not sure the state of Canada's economy and whether that would have any bearing on it.

Please note that this thread will be opened as we get closer to the actual trip.

Any information pertaining to the trips can be forwarded to any member of the British mod team to post.

Thanks!

If that's a new picture it is a shocker. They look like coloured stamps.

:previous: might not be, just dont remember seeing it before.

Upcoming Canadian visit

I'm thinking about taking a long weekend to see the prince and duchess. Does any have a suggestion as I'm considering Charlottetown or Winnipeg. Winnipeg is a bit easier to get to from here and I am somewhat familiar with it

Frankly I wouldn't plan anything until we get a blow by blow itinerary that way you'll know for sure you're going to see them.

Good thought. The "Globe and Mail" had a thumbnail sketch yesterday.

If I had to choose between the two I would prefer to go to PEI.

I've read that this visit is in part meant to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of WWI and Canada's significant participation. Please don't tell me that one parade in Halifax is going to be the extent of Royal involvement.

Curious to see how extensive the CBC's coverage will be this time around. They seem to be plugging the TRH's homecoming with more enthusiasm than in the past. Yet they chose to repeatedly run that sensationalist doc yesterday...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom