Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Tour of Canada - May 18-21, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was clear that C&C did not appreciate the act. Camilla looked particularly uncomfortable, and that's very unusual for her.

Last edited by a moderator:
They both looked a bit uncomfortable.

I think the problem wasn't so much that it's bad form to impersonate the Queen, be it drag or otherwise, or to do so in front of her son... To me it more seemed like the act itself just wasn't really good.

If you're going to do a drag impersonation of someone in front of that person's child then it should be the best impersonation possible. There was nothing about Wade Lynch's performance that really seemed like the Queen (at least not from the bits we saw). The face, the hair, the outfit, the accent... None of it was right. Add to that the fact that the jokes were really low hanging fruit at best, and you just have a poor performance that is in bad taste.

I'm not sure what the population of Canada is, but it seems pathetic that they couldn't produce a more talented, less tasteless act/individual than this !

Embarrassing your guests is very bad form indeed.

You could probably have found out what it is using google faster than it took you to type "I'm not sure what the population of Canada is".

It isn't crucial to my point that... SURELY you have wittier comedians ?

It seemed that all the officials were uncomfortable too. It would've been better if they had Helen Mirren to do something like that. It would've had Charles & Camilla on the floor laughing. I agree, better talent should've been produced.

Last edited:
...To me it more seemed like the act itself just wasn't really good...
Yup - and then Anne of Green Gables coming out and explaining the Queen's memory was in error. Ick.
Long ago, some fool's or jester's job was to poke fun at the ruler and the court - and he was the only one allowed to do so. But only to a point.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I don't consider a man who has been in his position for more than 30 years to be a newbie.

George, who has been in the position for 10 months, needs to get his act together. At this point, the 4th in charge should be able to do just about anything on his own.

George, who has been in the position for 10 months, needs to get his act together. At this point, the 4th in charge should be able to do just about anything on his own.

Something tells me though that the 4th in charge pretty much can run the 3rd in charge where he wants him to go and very loudly in fact. :ROFLMAO:

With regard to the impersonation of the Queen, it was embarrassing and dreadful - I wouldn't have known where to look and Camilla particularly looked like she felt the same. Apart from that, the announcer saying "please welcome her royal highness the Queen" added to the tackiness.

With regard to Prince Charles comments, it annoys me immensely when rather silly people go blabbing to the media about private conversations with royalty and then state they didn't realise it would cause such a furore. I doubt very much this woman will be allowed to speak to a royal again.

The royals know their comments to the people they meet will get back to the press. They've been doing this for a very long time.

I am happy that the Duchess showed her being "most not amused", remaining stonefaced and stoïc. The Prince diplomatically, half-hearted, applauded. I found Camilla's reaction the best. Why should anyone always pretend things are funny, when it was not funny at all?

Last edited:
Wade Lynch's performance was terrible. Prince Charles' and his wife's reactions were plebeian.

Last edited:
I don't see what the controversy is, the invasion of Crimea was compared to the Anschluß and occupation of the Sudetenland by a number of politicians here in Canada.

I don't see what the controversy is, the invasion of Crimea was compared to the Anschluß and occupation of the Sudetenland by a number of politicians here in Canada.

The controversy is that Hitler was mentioned therefore people have to overreact.

I don't think what Charles said was bad at all, and to me it seems like the woman whom he said it to wasn't offended - just shocked because she didn't expect him to say something so political.

While I don't have a problem with what Charles said, I can understand the problem with him appearing too political. He is making a very loaded political comment about a foreign head of state. While it may be in line with what his realms (or his mother's realms) believe on the issue, it's still a bit inappropriate.

I'm a monarchist to my fingertips and a huge admirer of the Prince of Wales (and Camilla for that matter), but in the instance of his Putin comments, I cannot understand what he was thinking. A comment to an individual at a public engagement is not really 'private', whatever Clarence House says. Charles should know by now that everything that comes out of his mouth is liable to end up in the press.

I agree with his sentiment on Putin, but he should simply not have said what he did. Totally inappropriate comments like that just make the job of the British government in its already fraught dealings with Russia even harder. Much as I don't like to have to say it, it's impossible to interpret this as anything other than a real misjudgement on Charles's part.

It isn't crucial to my point that... SURELY you have wittier comedians ?

I don't see why it's necessary to criticize all Canadian comics (and that is how your words are coming across) because of one bad comic. There are many great Canadian comics, this is just not one of them.

Heck, there are other Canadian comics who have impersonated the Queen (both men and women) and done a far better job than Wade Lynch. Luba Goy comes to mind as a particularly good one.

This is not the first time the British royals made such gaffe. It is the standard mode of operations for them. Hopefully Prince Charles will make a gaffe or two during a future trip to the Persian Gulf kingdoms.

I feel the comment was legitimate and there was nothing wrong with Charles saying it. The world allowed Hitler to have the Sudetenland thinking that would appease him and keep him at bay. As we now know, that did not work.

Every time Hitler's name is mentioned people freak out, sometimes rightfully so. But in this case it was appropriately used.

The CBC's behaved itself fairly well the lest few days, but of course they couldn't resist latching onto this and making much more of it than necessary. Somehow the tweet of one insignificant Labour MP suddenly represents to voice of the British political establishment on this matter.

...Every time Hitler's name is mentioned people freak out, sometimes rightfully so. But in this case it was appropriately used.
It was appropriately used - Charles was comparing Putin's actions in the Crimea to Hitler's in the Sudetenland.

I think there are a few problems with the comment, or at least with the reaction.

First there's the fact that it was made to a woman who is related to holocaust victims. When you have a headline of "Prince Charles compares Putin to Hitler to the Family of Holocaust Victims" the go to thought isn't that he's making a comment about foreign invasions.

Secondly, comparing people to Hitler - however valid such a comparison might be - is such a loaded statement that there is no way things can go over well. There is a concept called Godwin's Law which states that the longer an online discussion goes on the more inevitable it is that someone or something will be compared to Hitler or Nazism. A corollary is that as soon as Hitler is mentioned the debate is over, and whoever mentioned Hitler has lost. Comparing people to Hitler is often counterproductive in that sense.

Thirdly, Charles is a man who is in line to be an apolitical head of state. For him to make ANY public comment about a foreign nation, its head of state, its policies, etc, when he's not speaking on behalf of the government(s) that he represents is hugely inappropriate. This isn't simply a blunder for the British, it's also a blunder for Canada. A member of the Canadian Royal family, the future head of state of Canada, while on an official engagement in Canada representing the current head of state went and made a comment comparing the head of state of another country (one that is actually fairly close to Canada, militarily better off than Canada, and has had a tense relationship with Canada in regards to Arctic sovereignty) to a man who is often considered to be the worst human being ever.

While I don't disagree with the comment and think it is an apt comparison, I do disagree with Charles' decision to make such a comment in public as saying such things is kind of contrary to his role.

...comments like that just make the job of the British government in its already fraught dealings with Russia even harder...
Bearing in mind Mr Putin's personal inadequacies have made him believe himself to be the best thing since the invention of vodka, I doubt very much he will care what a lowly person such as the heir to the British throne has to say. Accordingly, any current difficulties in the British government's dealings with Russia will remain as they are now.

Future "apolitical" head of state of one of the free world's political institutions isn't allowed to freely comment about what is clearly tyrannical behaviour on the part of Putin. That doesn't exactly look all that great, either.

If you want something really controversial, how about the rambling denunciation of NATO and assertion that Canada, and Harper in particular, are non-entities in when it comes to international politics. This at a ceremony honouring those who fought in "defense" of the Stalinist regime. A ceremony that took place on Canadian soil.

Also, HRH made a joke today about maybe not living long enough to return to Canada. I don't follow him all that closely so I'm not sure what kind of remarks he's made about his own mortality. I know many people do this - I do it from time to time - but still it was a bit saddening to hear; maybe the supposed "controversy" is gnawing away at him.

Also it would be the height of hypocrisy if he were to publicly claim to be offended - the kind of drivel that apparently airs on Russian TV about nuking America into a "radioactive wasteland" etc. I don't think people in the west realize how much Soviet propaganda still influences the Russian people's opinions of the west - even the younger generations. They simply don't like us. Which is why they persist in waging a cyber war against us.

The journalist in question - Rebecca English of the Daily Mail, was asked directly on twitter whether this was a private conversation. She categorically denied that it was.

I have just watched the News on BBC and it shows that she was hiding behind a pillar (she was highlighted by the BBC news) listening in to the conversation between PoW and a woman seated at a table.

This is low-life journalism.

That said, as main stream politocs in UK have said, he is entitled to his opinion.

From the BBC about what royals can or cannot say - v interesting

BBC News - Who, What, Why: What can and can't British Royal Family members say?

I feel the comment was legitimate and there was nothing wrong with Charles saying it. The world allowed Hitler to have the Sudetenland thinking that would appease him and keep him at bay. As we now know, that did not work.

Every time Hitler's name is mentioned people freak out, sometimes rightfully so. But in this case it was appropriately used.
You have a full right to agree with Prince Charles. The world allowed the enlightened democratic regimes to carry questionable crusades in the recent past. It would be fair to say that Mr Putin is used to be slated by holier-than-thou western media lackeys.
Dogs bark, but the caravan moves on.

Last edited:
I bet those who are responsible for minding Charles and Putin at the D-day ceremony are sweating. They'll be working overtime to make sure those two are kept apart.

Words are being put into Princes Charles' mouth.
It does not appear that it was Prince Charles who mentioned Hitler but the woman.

Note the change in wording with each telling.

From
BBC News - Who, What, Why: What can and can't British Royal Family members say?
Marienne Ferguson, a former Polish war refugee, was showing Prince Charles around a museum in Nova Scotia, Canada. They were discussing Hitler's takeover of countries, and the prince said "something to the effect of 'it's not unlike…what Putin is doing'",

From
Prince Charles 'Compares Putin To Hitler'

Charles was being shown around the Museum of Immigration in Halifax, Nova Scotia, along with Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall.

The royal couple paid tribute to World War Two veterans and their families, and during the course of the visit they spoke to museum volunteer Marianne Ferguson.

Ms Ferguson told the Prince she fled to Canada with her family in 1939, not long before Hitler annexed the Baltic coastal Free City of Gdansk.
After meeting Charles, the 78-year-old told the Daily Mail: "The Prince said 'And now Putin is doing just about the same as Hitler'.

Last edited:
I bet those who are responsible for minding Charles and Putin at the D-day ceremony are sweating. They'll be working overtime to make sure those two are kept apart.

they have never been scheduled to meet each other. Reported today (Putin with Heads of State I assume). Tho what the Normandy beaches have to do with Russia ....... They had their own tough battles to fight,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom